• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where my Cider drinkers at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Woodchuck and Angry Orchard are way too sweet for me. Both have 20-30 sugars per bottle, no thanks. Ace Joker cider was always my favorite, but it's tough to get in New York any more:

8in_72dpi_Six_Pack_Joker-2.png

6.9% abv, 135 calories a bottle, 9 g of sugar. Lightly carbonated and dry, just how I like it.

leakey

I switched to hard cider from beer a few months ago. I've tried Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, Redd's, and this regional brand in the Virginia area called Bold Rock.

I like Angry Orchard's green apple the best. Woodchuck's green apple tastes the most like an actual green apple, if I'm being honest. But the sweeter taste of Angry Orchard makes it easier to drink.

Bold Rock is quite good. Have visited the cidery a few times. Another good Virginia one is Potter's.

Woodchuck and Angry Orchard are way too sweet for me. Both have 20-30 sugars per bottle, no thanks. Ace Joker cider was always my favorite, but it's tough to get in New York any more:

6.9% abv, 135 calories a bottle, 9 g of sugar. Lightly carbonated and dry, just how I like it.

Ace Joker is hard to beat. My drink of choice in 2014, went through hundreds of dollars worth of it. Can't handle overly-sweet cider like Angry Orchard.

I want to try Ace Pineapple and Grape cider sometime.

mhayes86

I love to drink cider on occasion. I don't have a particular brand preference, but Angry Orchard is the most common one I see. Asheville Brewing Company also had a good one when I was staying in Asheville, North Carolina a few weeks ago.

The Southfarthing cider sold only at Hobbiton's Green Dragon Inn in New Zealand was really good (as were their beers).

naib

Haven't tried many tbh. I remember liking Ace pear cider.

Gonna try a variety pack of the Austin Eastciders stuff. Their site says there's some just up the street. Good lookin' out.

Even if I don't like it I'm always in search of something better for the woman. She doesn't drink often but when she does it's always garbage. .
Her hair girl serves hard sparkling water/seltzers? Y'all seen that shit? Pretty much zima. Same aftertaste even.

Haven't tried many tbh. I remember liking Ace pear cider.

Gonna try a variety pack of the Austin Eastciders stuff. Their site says there's some just up the street. Good lookin' out.

Even if I don't like it I'm always in search of something better for the woman. She doesn't drink often but when she does it's always garbage. .
Her hair girl serves hard sparkling water/seltzers? Y'all seen that shit? Pretty much zima. Same aftertaste even.

Make sure you try the Pineapple one. I don't like ciders much but I could drink the pineapple for days. They made it perfectly right.

I've been getting Monteith's ciders recently among other brands I try once or twice.

I used to get Rekorderlig but was put off a little by criticism of it not actually being cider. It still tastes great but it is disappointing to be mislead.

hertog

I love cider, but the only decent one I can get here is Scrumpty Jack.
So for the last couple of years I'm brewing my own. Going to start a new brewing season somewhere in May.

SiteSeer

nm, wrong brand. whoops.

marzlapin

I love it but it has to be ice cold and the right sweetness level, which for me is just a little bit sweet. Most of the ones I've tried have been way too sugary, but I don't like it bone dry either.

Mr Swine

Banned
I drink Cider, my favourite ciders are those that have lemon or lime taste. I cannot drink beer since the smell and taste makes me vomit

It used to be pretty hard to find cider that wasn't Woodchuck, back in the 90s. With the boom in craft beer also came a boom in cider.

Woodchuck 802 Dark and Dry is my favorite but it is very hard to find. Gumption is good too.

I like Vander Mill and Strongbow also.

Doikor

As long as its proper cider yeah I like it. This means that it is made just by fermenting apples and nothing extra is added. The cheap market ones here (Finland) are made usually from mixing water+sugar with wine (ugh...) which taste like shit. Thankfully there is a couple small breweries now making proper cider too.

Also sometimes buy the stuff from Alko (the governments monopoly shop for strong alcohol. Strong is anything over 4.7%. Which is kinda problematic with ciders and dry apple cider is naturally around 5% so water has to be added to sell it in normal shops). They got one or two Normandy ones usually available.

Spuck-uk

Banned
My wife drinks that swill. She likes some local makers here in BC and tart British style piss water ciders.

You have never drank proper British cider lol. Shit starts about 6%, only comes in pints, and shouldn't be sweet.

I don't know how people drink sugary trash like Angry Orchard, Koppaberg, Rekorderling or Magners. 90% of other flavoured ciders are trash as well.

amanset

I'm incapable of drinking the stuff since I slightly overindulged on Scrumpy Jack in 1993. The smell just turns my stomach now.

Pity, I used to love it.

StayDead

If I drink, the only thing I drink alcohol wise is Cider. Can't stand beer and other types.

I love me a good pint of Aspalls.

Brinbe

Fucking love it. About the only way I can tolerate alcohol haha. Some great recommendations in here. Eager to try them out.

I love a good cider. Not my drink every time, not always one for a long session, but I grew up in the countryside so cider was a big part of that.

So the main one was Aspalls, that's a lovely go-to on a Summer day, and is our local one. Me and my partner did mostly drink a country pub dry of it over one particularly fun week. Whoops.

Otherwise - for something different, I got in to Koppaberg/Rekordalig, but those are sometimes a bit overwhelming after a few berry ones in a row. For interesting flavours though, Old Mout Cider is ace. Kiwi & Lime is my favourite, Passionfruit & Lime is also worth a go. The whole range is, really.

Jerry

Cider drinkers are man-children.

The same type of people who put sugar in their tea/coffee, prefer sweet potato fries over regular fries and are the type to put pineapple on pizza.

The same type of people who put sugar in their tea/coffee, prefer sweet potato fries over regular fries and are the type to put pineapple on pizza.

Let me guess, you're the type of guy that wears a suit & tie to bed.

Chuckie

I like cider, but prefer beer
I put 1 sugar in my coffee
I prefer regular fries
I don't put pineapple on pizza

I must be a mystery to you.

Spuck-uk

Banned

There are plenty of Ciders that aren't sweet. Like, most of the good ones, really.

35892_XXX_v1.jpg

Best cider I've had and with the lowest sugar content..not overly sweet. Stella Cidre is not bad either. I'm intrigued by the Pineapple cider though. I will look for it!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cider is a drink that benefits from high alcohol content.

Having lived in the West Country, scrumpy is the undisputed king.

But even Strongbow is miles better than piss like Angry Orchard. May as well ask for diabetes and stop drinking.

Most popular us cider is absolutely atrocious.

TimeKillr

Absolute best cider I've ever had. You'd never know it's 10%:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/les-vergers-de-la-colline-cid-cuivre/149000/

Anything from CID tastes like piss. Seriously. I've tried them all.

Living in Quebec, the massive problem is that for some stupid reason it's STILL illegal to import cider for sale here. so all we have is local stuff.

Most of the local cider makers either do ice ciders (which are closer to wines) or really shitty ciders.

There's a few outliers that make really good stuff, though. The two best, imo, are what McKeown and McAuslan (which you can only have in pubs as they don't sell their ciders. It's what McKibbins' sells, if you're from MTL).

When I used to play WoW, I had a friend living in Wales who kept telling me about this cider she called "scrumpy" that still had bits of apple in it. I've always wanted to try it, but we looked into her sending me a few bottles and it was so damn complicated we just dropped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom