• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScribbleD

This season should cover the
millennium falcon
arc, right? Morbidly curious how they approach the cave
trolls.

Tizoc

8 years on a boat
Hiatus
Shit anime
Shit movies
New game musou and not a Souls clone although it inspired

Berserk puts effort into giving suffering to the fans like it's characters

The manga is back.
There was an issue in March, there'll be another one in April.
Guts got off the boat a year ago.

MikeBison

Other than Zodd's demon form being so CGI, it was pretty decent. It's a shame as the 2d talent is clearly there.

KHlover

Banned

Btw here's some crunchyroll guest passes for those who're interested in checking out this trainwreck of an anime. Quote to uncover.

Now time to watch the new episode myself :D

Fisty

Man the animation quality tanked so hard across the first few movie things. It went from a pretty good blend of animation and cgi and turned into basically that Iron Man cgi cartoon where it's just really flat colors on a couple polys, like a good quality PS2 cutscene.

That being said, I had no expectations going in and the end of the first arc did things I didn't quite expect (lol...) so I am quite interested in seeing how far things will fall now. (For reference, I've never read the manga and watched the first few episodes of the shit older anime)

KHlover

Banned
Finally we're getting squished faces and flying eyeballs when someone gets decked in the head. They're learning :D

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How far is this supposed to go? Are we going to get
Schierke summoning a flood?
Because that's one of the few scenes CG might be good for, haha

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That being said, I had no expectations going in and the end of the first arc did things I didn't quite expect (lol...) so I am quite interested in seeing how far things will fall now. (For reference, I've never read the manga and watched the first few episodes of the shit older anime)

The "shit" older anime is by and far the best adaptation of the manga so you might want to go watch that instead. Also you're better off reading the manga at this point because the latest anime is totally butchering the story and characters and just cutting out huge parts of the storyline. You're getting the abridged version of the story and that's putting it nicely.

Sou Da

What the fuck is up with the directing of this episode?

The music choice and imagery of this whole scene makes it seem like Guts is incredibly turned on at the sight of Griffith again.

63246e14-f113-4cbc-8a0f-68a3db99af5a.png

I hope this group is as charming as the band of the hawk. Series has been straight ass since the eclipse. Nothing but cheap shock value 24/7.

It was dogshit. Guts is there in 3-4 shots perhaps. The rest is the substitute version.

First scene of the 2nd ep is a continuous dialogue scene yet Guts makes crazy jumps from shot to shot. I wrote about this in various episodes, are they storyboarding anything? Like, what the fuck is going on with the bonfire? Or the wood column? Is it moving? The floor titles multiplied themselves? Weird perspective? Maybe a demon...

I sincerely don't remember anything so badly directed as this anime. This is not just Z-Level animation. This is Z-everything.

Not that I'd expect Miura to shittalk his own show, but I wonder how he feels about this adaptation. It can't be what he was hoping for.

First scene of the 2nd series is a continuous dialogue scene yet Guts makes crazy jumps from shot to shot.
Pretty sure their pipeline isn't actually set up this way, but you'd think that you COULD block out a CG sequence by placing all your characters into a scene just once, go in with the camera to finalize your compositions, and then animate from there.

But I'm guessing they board it (poorly), and recreate the scene blocking based on the board, every time the camera cuts.

Is it me or does the 2D stuff also look cheaper than usual? I've only watched the intro and the OP and man does it look terrible: Zodd flying across a scrolling background while flapping his wings every once in a while, a terrible "action" scene in the OP that looks like trash, and the camera being worse than usual, especially in that introduction scene. Holy shit, we might be getting to a new low.

Gulz1992

Just read Walter's summary on SkullKnight.net and I just...

Well, I was a bit worried about registering on Crunchyroll to see this, but at least now I know that not only will I be saving some cash, but that I'm smart because I didn't waste any time being hopeful for this. FTW I guess.

kewlmyc

I honestly rather have nothing.

The director has only directed 5 minute long comedy shorts and the studio has only done cutesy moe stuff.

How they got handed the Berserk property is beyond me. Fuck this show.

I just finished the first episode. Man, that was fucking terrible. The camera is still incredibly frantic, the action itself is not all that well directed, and the CG might even be worse than usual (stuffed toy looking Zodd). Even the OP and ED aren't particularly interesting, hell even the season one ED was more visually interesting despite it's own issues since this one is just a bunch of badly superimposed images while a song plays in the background. Although I guess the songs are kinda catchy. I'm not even sure how they can Vritannis justice with everything looking this bad. Also what's with Griffith's weird face in the OP, it's clearly not his killing intent look that he used to give people.

Mr Git

I'm not sure i'm ready to see one of my favourite arcs absolutely fucking butchered.

Welp. Just tried anyway. It's like trying to read the manga through a kaleidoscope of sphincters.

Pretty sure their pipeline isn't actually set up this way, but you'd think that you COULD block out a CG sequence by placing all your characters into a scene just once, go in with the camera to finalize your compositions, and then animate from there.

But I'm guessing they board it (poorly), and recreate the scene blocking based on the board, every time the camera cuts.

I don't know their workflow, but they are mostly recreating (badly) the panels of the manga as cuts. That bonfire scene is similar in the manga (but with good perspectives). This one too. Puck says 2 lines, Guts answers her. It's a one second dialogue in the anime. Because they are stitching those 3 panels to replicate it it looks like this:

This is exactly as it is in the manga. In it we infer stuff happened between the panels. When Puck says one line we see Guts in the back, the second one is a close-up shot and the third one he is putting the clothes in the branch. So, he walked that distance from the second shot to the third shot. In animation that doesn't happen. We are supposed to understand what is happening between shots. Either the dialogue is much more spaced (the camera should stay much longer in Casca), Puck says the lines slowly, or hesitates or we could listen to Guts walking but nothing. They just copied the manga directly. There's no direction. Just straight copying. And it becomes completely unnatural. When the shot turns back to him, after 1 second, he shouldn't be there. If they can't direct something so simple, how can we even expect anything.

I don't know their workflow, but they are mostly recreating (badly) the panels of the manga as cuts.
Good lord.

So it's not even as if there's crafted hand keeping continuity in consideration as they board out a sequence.

I know they followed panels verbatim at least occasionally, but that's a really staggering example of doing it for seemingly no reason, while ignoring every lesson from the first semester of film school.

Off to a good start!

Grudy

I guess the new opening is alright? I think I hate it, but it might also be that it's what I was expecting it to be...I don't know.
wtzgU.gif

I had to rewind the scene where Guts reminiscences about Griffith. "I thought I'm hearing this groovy saxophone". Checks again.

tt0pGkM.gif

Yeah that was really jarring, having smooth jazz playing in the back while Guts remembers the dude who killed all his friends and destroyed his and Casca's lives.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope this group is as charming as the band of the hawk. Series has been straight ass since the eclipse. Nothing but cheap shock value 24/7.

Have you read the manga? This is a really strange thing to say seeing as a lot of people complain the story isn't dark and fucked up as earlier parts.

Have you read the manga? This is a really strange thing to say seeing as a lot of people complain the story isn't dark and fucked up as earlier parts.
The state of the world is a billion times worse, but Guts's friends generally win battles and stay alive.

I'm bracing for myself the volume that there's suddenly eclipse 2.0.

Grudy

I had to rewind the scene where Guts reminiscences about Griffith. "I thought I heard this groovy saxophone". Checks again.

tt0pGkM.gif

The whole sound design was horrible but that was especially bad. What's going through these people's heads when they're making this stuff, I will never know.

I was hoping for some emotion from Guts in several parts when he meets Griffith and Zodd, (just like in the manga) but nope. Just more dizzy camera work and cut for cut panels from the manga. Honestly they probably cut out little squares from manga prints and made a story board with them. Someone on youtube would probably do a better job with a manga music video lol.

Taiser

why can't they just make a 90-120min movie every year?
you know, like the "golden age arc" ones minus the shitty 3D ?
just start from the beginning and go properly (from A-Z) through the manga.

roytheone

Recently watched the old anime and liked it a lot. Any chance these arcs will get a decent adaptation eventually instead of.... This stuff?

Gulz1992

Oh what the hell, I'll watch this for the memes and hateposting. This should also provide a good example of how not to make an anime.

Episode 13, here I come!

Fat4all

Banned
Recently watched the old anime and liked it a lot. Any chance these arcs will get a decent adaptation eventually instead of.... This stuff?

i can only hope someday they hire a production company and director who know what the hell to do with Berserk, but I might be dead before then

Watched the first two episodes of S1 yesterday and it was as bad as I could have imagined. One shot from the start of the second episode looked like a bunch of flat paper dolls posed in the scene. Doesn't help that it has an overly clean look that feels at odds with the gritty source material. I loved the original anime and manga and even the 3 movies, but goddamn is this bad.

Fisty

The "shit" older anime is by and far the best adaptation of the manga so you might want to go watch that instead. Also you're better off reading the manga at this point because the latest anime is totally butchering the story and characters and just cutting out huge parts of the storyline. You're getting the abridged version of the story and that's putting it nicely.

Interesting, I just remember the animation being very poorly done, with lots of repeated frames and cheap stuff like that. I mean I wasn't expecting Samurai Champloo levels of animation but man it was pretty bad. I figured it would have even more cut out than the movies since it is just like a season of 22 minute episodes

Grudy

Interesting, I just remember the animation being very poorly done, with lots of repeated frames and cheap stuff like that. I mean I wasn't expecting Samurai Champloo levels of animation but man it was pretty bad. I figured it would have even more cut out than the movies since it is just like a season of 22 minute episodes

Yeah that's something that a lot of people don't seem to remember but the animations were pretty low budget in the 1997 anime too. I don't really remember affecting my enjoyment of the show that much though. They nailed everything else.

Gulz1992

Yeah that's something that a lot of people don't seem to remember but the animations were pretty low budget in the 1997 anime too. I don't really remember affecting my enjoyment of the show that much though. They nailed everything else.

The 1997 anime was an example of a talented team working around the limitations of small budget.

This anime is an example of a....less talented team not even trying to work around their budget issues.

Also, I'm only 2 minutes into the first episode and already I'm having a good laugh.

Guts%20ahhhh_zpswi1qqkzb.png

Mister Wolf

why can't they just make a 90-120min movie every year?
you know, like the "golden age arc" ones minus the shitty 3D ?
just start from the beginning and go properly (from A-Z) through the manga.

Because the people with big money to bank roll A-Z anime adaptions don't give a shit about Berserk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom