• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

Maybe its just me but i'm slightly surprised the nfc sensor is under the screen, sure it allows a cool effect when you touch things down on it i'm just slightly worried some kids will end up breaking there screens pressing down a figure or something

Mistle

Wait.. does this mean the Wii U keeps its name and doesn't have a slight redesign?

Or is this an unfinished trailer that wasn't meant to be seen?

I think at this stage everybody has at least 2 wiimotes. I bet Wii U will include the tablet + a wiimote. That means most people will have the proper set up to play 4 players local multiplayer games day one. And that is a key factor of success.

This is true, but it's also disappointing that only one person can actually use the controller for the new console (if that's actually the case). That seems like a big failing on Nintendo's part to me.

idwl

I live in an apartment, I think I'll be fine. We don't know the specifics on range anyway.

Plus if you don't actually need to plug the wii U into a tv then you can easily just move the console around plug it in anywhere around the house and play. So basically plug it in the corridor beside the bathroom and wallaaaa

Looks great.

I'm worried for Ubi though, the (real) assassins are probably on their way =(

1159925992462.gif

If this could come out this fall, and in time for the Wii U launch, I think it would really help, It's a perfect launch/window title to have along a Nintendo console, plus there are some 360/PS3 Origins fans left over.

Yes, this would be a perfect WiiU launch title! And it'd make a nice change for Ubisoft to put a quality title out on a console launch ;)

Gimme this, Pikmin 3 and... PSO 2 as launch titles and I'm day 1.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It doesn't confirm anything.

probably it will be the standard for a lot of game. I think that they are working to integrate at least two Upad for particular games or game modes.
But the asimettrical local multiplayer is one of the focus of the console. Online every playser will have its own Upad, but locally the concept is to have one playse that has a different role (like a "master?"), as in this case the girl helps the other players interacting with the environment (moving up the platform)

mclem

Maybe its just me but i'm slightly surprised the nfc sensor is under the screen, sure it allows a cool effect when you touch things down on it i'm just slightly worried some kids will end up breaking there screens pressing down a figure or something

Couldn't you use the same argument to fear that kids would break their DS screens with overenthusiastic stylus use?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Even if WiiU supports only one tablet, this trailer doesn't confirm or deny it. It just shows how Rayman's multiplayer works.

of course it doesn't confirm it.

The fact that they are promoting a new console with old controllers is not particularly promising though. Biggest WiiU flaw for me. Online and graphics will be done better in other platforms. Wii was the good local multi console though.

Wiz

Wait.. does this mean the Wii U keeps its name and doesn't have a slight redesign?

I think it's safe to say that barring some suprise at E3, Wii U will keep its name. The design could always change though.

SykoTech

This is true, but it's also disappointing that only one person can actually use the controller for the new console (if that's actually the case). That seems like a big failing on Nintendo's part to me.

It certainly is if they still haven't even managed to get 2 controllers working at the same time.

I hope they do. Neither my brother nor I want to be stuck using Wii-motes again. And we probably won't have GC controller support to fall back on this time either (not like Nintendo bothered much with that on the Wii anyway).

antonz

Name is probably not changing but one of our sources on Gaf says the controller is not the final design controller

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Uh, sounds like you should be under NDA.

Well, nothing groundbreaking, the first DRC's were wired at E3 2011, and people around here must have guessed it's more practical to keep this for recent dev kits to avoid battery life hindrance in the middle of intense development. It's just a confirmation that it's the case.

Man, Pokemon is going to make a killing with this thing.

I feel bad for Nintendo. Game looks pretty good though, gimmicks or not.

Couldn't you use the same argument to fear that kids would break their DS screens with overenthusiastic stylus use?

Possibly though instead of a small stylus we are talking about much larger toys coupled with much larger movements to pick them up and put them on

It certainly is if they still haven't even managed to get 2 controllers working at the same time.

I hope they do. Neither my brother nor I want to be stuck using Wii-motes again. And we probably won't have GC controller support to fall back on this time either (not like Nintendo bothered much with that on the Wii anyway).

I think 2 needs to be the minimum. I'll mostly be playing two player, and it will suck if I or my girlfriend need to get stuck with a last gen controller that we've used for years.

It goes against the "fresh" feeling of new technology with a new console. I'd hate to use an Xbox controller with my 360, or a DS2 with my PS3.

It's especially bad when the new controller has such drastically different design/technology.

BurntPork

Banned

Most likely the latter. Knowing Nintendo, it wouldn't be shocking if changes were made and nobody, not even third-parties, see them until E3.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think 2 needs to be the minimum. I'll mostly be playing two player, and it will suck if I or my girlfriend need to get stuck with a last gen controller that we've used for years.

It goes against the "fresh" feeling of new technology with a new console. I'd hate to use an Xbox controller with my 360, or a DS2 with my PS3.

It's especially bad when the new controller has such drastically different design/technology.

yup. different button and sticks, etc.

i really hope nintendo pulls through here... i am not optimistic though.

I dont know what I watched, there was so much different stuff being shown.

Is it a sequel to Origins or is it a Rabbids-esque party game in Origins style?

Really glad they went the extra mile to clean the characters up and added more complex shading. I really hope they can get this out near the launch of the WiiU. The original sold far less than what I would have hoped, so a sales-boost from a console launch could be just what the 2D Rayman franchise needs.

tim.mbp

If there's a potential for added characters via figures, Ubi better release a Jade & Pey'j set. Who cares about AssCreed, give me Beyond Good & Evil.

AzaK

Well, nothing groundbreaking, the first DRC's were wired at E3 2011, and people around here must have guessed it's more practical to keep this for recent dev kits to avoid battery life hindrance in the middle of intense development. It's just a confirmation that it's the case.

And I assume they can actually run wirelessly by now......right?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
yup. different button and sticks, etc.

i really hope nintendo pulls through here... i am not optimistic though.
Wiimote is the piece of hardware Nintendo sold the most in its existence. Retrocompatibity applied to controllers is a good thing to have, most people will appreciate it.

Wiimote is the piece of hardware Nintendo sold the most in its existence. Retrocompatibity applied to controllers is a good thing to have, most people will appreciate it.

It's good to support it for spares/extra players, but that doesn't excuse being able to only support 1 tablet if that is the case.

Top Bottom