• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's good to support it for spares/extra players, but that doesn't excuse being able to only support 1 tablet if that is the case.

Instead I think that pushing the new concept of asimetric local multiplayer is a good thing. Plus, Upad it's expensive and forcing people to buy 2/3/4 Upads for local multi should be really annoying; plus Wiimote or Wiimoteplus are already in house.

I think they should push to integrate 2 Upads for some games or game modes. Keeping the concept of internal memory for the pad as for the remote, so I can bring my upad to my friends' house and play with my profile and data.

I feel forcing 4 Upads will be like when Nintendo was forcing 4 GBAs and a 4 cable for 4 swords Adventures in case the controllers are expensive.

Oppo

Game looks great. Really fantastic.

U Pad gameplay, underwhelming. Just didn't look interesting.

NFC stuff inspire gimmick. Although any chance to sell real toys, eh Ubi? Can't blame them too much I guess, may as well use that NFC.

mandiller

Development unit. Could be for ease of communication, could be because the development version of the hardware is too bulky to actually fit in the form factor that'll be used at retail.

I suspect the cable in the video is a recharge cable and we'll end up having the controller tethered for most of the time. The screen on the controller will use up a lot of power...

jimi_dini

No, it's because of the Gamecube controller ports and memory card slots. They take up space.

If that was the (only) reason, they could just release a separate little box with controller ports + memory card slots that connects to Wii U using an USB cable. In fact they have to do something like that for the downloadable Gamecube-games.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I suspect the cable in the video is a recharge cable and we'll end up having the controller tethered for most of the time. The screen on the controller will use up a lot of power...

The cable in the video is attached to a dev kit... This is not a trailer meant for commercial eyes. That much is obvious.

Smellycat

Wow, what a leak lol. Nintendo won't be happy. It is a good thing that it didn't really show a drastic change to the Wii-U, otherwise Nintendo would have been out for some blood. haha

The game looks fantastic though.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Instead I think that pushing the new concept of asymmetric local multiplayer is a good thing. Plus, Upad it's expensive and forcing people to buy 2/3/4 Upads for local multi should be really annoying; plus Wiimote or Wiimoteplus are already in house.

I think they should push to integrate 2 Upads for some games or game modes. Keeping the concept of internal memory for the pad as for the remote, so I can bring my upad to my friends' house and play with my profile and data.

My personal take on the Ubi video concerning this part: we see the people without the padlet heavily focusing on the guy holding it and smiling, it's a bad message, like "hey, the fun is occurring on the Wii U controller, not with Wii-motes". They need to work harder in regard to that, and show that thanks to a clever asymmetrical gamedesign (which they are capable of), the DRC content is fun, it's a given yes, but it's also the same for the 3 other people playing on the TV with wiimotes.

Instead I think that pushing the new concept of asimetric local multiplayer is a good thing. Plus, Upad it's expensive and forcing people to buy 2/3/4 Upads for local multi should be really annoying; plus Wiimote or Wiimoteplus are already in house.

I feel forcing 4 Upads will be like when Nintendo was forcing 4 GBAs and a 4 cable for 4 swords Adventures in case the controllers are expensive.

You don't need to FORCE people to buy 4 of them, just give them the option to buy them.

If that was the (only) reason, they could just release a separate little box with controller ports + memory card slots that connects to Wii U using an USB cable. In fact they have to do something like that for the downloadable Gamecube-games.

Unless the downloadable gc gamed are actually ported to wiiu so just use wiiu controls

So confirmed only one WiiU controller supported? In the video you can see 3 standard controllers and a tablet...
Not necessarily. If one is the likely norm that might be the way Ubisoft prefers to show it off, rather than give the impression people would need multiple for multiplayer.
Amir0x said:
You guys didn't even need to add the 'won't uprez anything' part - it's automatically assumed by default that Nintendo will always take the laziest, lowest effort path to implementing features. I just automatically assume worst case and it's almost always right.
Come on, man. The worst case scenario you've imagined is how full BC has worked every single time.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Wow, what a leak lol. Nintendo won't be happy. It is a good thing that it didn't really show a drastic change to the Wii-U, otherwise Nintendo would have been out for some blood. haha

In this day & age, i think this video is making more good than harm for Nintendo, it doesn't really reveal anything new (they talked themselves, months ago, about the NFC feature), can't be considered as a way to measure the hardware capabilities of the system (2D platformer & all), and generate the buzz.

You assume nintendo didnt plan and/or plan this leak?

My personal take on the Ubi video concerning this part: we see the people without the padlet heavily focusing on the guy holding it and smiling, it's a bad message, like "hey, the fun is occurring on the Wii U controller, not with Wii-motes". They need to work harder in regard to that, and show that thanks to a clever asymmetrical gamedesign (which they are capable of), the DRC content is fun, it's a given yes, but it's also the same for the 3 other people playing on the TV with wiimotes.

Either a stealth-confirm that only one pad is supported...or you just don't know yet. :p

mandiller

The cable in the video is attached to a dev kit... This is not a trailer meant for commercial eyes. That much is obvious.

You sure about that? Looked pretty ready for public eyes to me.

It's not like the WiiU controller won't have a recharge cable. That cable looks like what you'd expect.

Yeah, Nintendo is going to combat Sony Smash Bros with... Rayman.

More likely, Ubisoft sent this out, and the press leaked it, as they always do.

I wasn't saying Nintendo. I meant Ubisoft. ;) The gaming side of the internet is pretty active this week. combined with the new console this is a great exposure window.

Nintendo dont want to leak its own stuff so is using ubisoft to "leak" for publicity

Also this if Nintendo intentionally leaked it

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'll be interested to see how well they can make a toy out of a character that has no limbs.

jonno394

I think 2 needs to be the minimum. I'll mostly be playing two player, and it will suck if I or my girlfriend need to get stuck with a last gen controller that we've used for years.

It goes against the "fresh" feeling of new technology with a new console. I'd hate to use an Xbox controller with my 360, or a DS2 with my PS3.

It's especially bad when the new controller has such drastically different design/technology.

Because the dualshock has changed so considerably since the psx days......

Cbajd5

I liked it. The whole thing looks better in motion than in the screenshots, but I still like Origins better.

Because the dualshock has changed so considerably since the psx days......

It's true they're pretty identical, but it's a psychological thing. With a new console you should have a new controller.

Besides, the point is more important when the Wiimote and Wii U tablet are so DRASTICALLY different. It'd be like if the PS3 used the boomerang design and you could only use one when everyone else had to use DS2s.

I'll be interested to see how well they can make a toy out of a character that has no limbs.

Google "rayman figurine"

JmJyv.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's true they're pretty identical, but it's a psychological thing. With a new console you should have a new controller.

Besides, the point is more important when the Wiimote and Wii U tablet are so DRASTICALLY different. It'd be like if the PS3 used the boomerang design and you could only use one when everyone else had to use DS2s.
Trying too hard? Trying too hard.

jimi_dini

Unless the downloadable gc gamed are actually ported to wiiu so just use wiiu controls

They won't port those, it will be sort of like PS2 classics on PSN. They could of course emulate a gamecube-pad using a Classic Controller Pro and also put saves on the internal memory. But that would seriously suck. First of all, this would mean that gamecube-pads couldn't be used at all and that you would have to buy 4 wiiremotes AND 4 classic controller pros, just because in case you want 4-player multiplayer (for e.g. TimeSplitters 2+Future Perfect). Would suck even more for Wii games that support Gamecube controllers. Also previous saves would get lost and would now be tied to the console, with probably no way to backup them. I seriously hope they won't go that way, otherwise no way in hell I'm buying even 1 game from their downloadable gamecube collection.

jonno394

I agree with the second point you make but i see it doing well with families sitting together taking turns with the tablet etc. I remember when i was younger with only one ones controller. We'd all sit watching each having a go after each other. I envisage the same will ne true with the tablet.

jimi_dini

It goes against the "fresh" feeling of new technology with a new console. I'd hate to use an Xbox controller with my 360, or a DS2 with my PS3.

Can understand that for PS3 DS2, just for the fact that it's wireless. Wiimotes are already wireless. If PS2 DS would have been wireless, you would be missing out on the glorious pseudo motion controls and the uber-bad triggers. So actually almost anyone would use PS2 DS. And if you bought a PS3 on release, your "fresh" feeling would even be missing out on rumble. lol

Anyone else noticed that only one of the player in the Rayman video is playing with the proper Wii U controller (the one with the screen).

Is this sort of a confirmation that Wii U only supports one of these controllers at a time?

SparkTR

That controller is a behemoth, but I'm excited to see what Nintendo does with it. I hope that Skylanders stuff doesn't become the new face of DLC for the Wii-U.

Anyone else noticed that only one of the player in the Rayman video is playing with the proper Wii U controller (the one with the screen).

Is this sort of a confirmation that Wii U only supports one of these controllers at a time?

It's not really confirmation of anything, since this trailer was never suppose to be seen by us.
However, the Wii U will likely not support more than 2 Tab Controllers at a time regardless.

Can understand that for PS3 DS2, just for the fact that it's wireless. Wiimotes are already wireless. If PS2 DS would have been wireless, you would be missing out on the glorious pseudo motion controls and the uber-bad triggers. So actually almost anyone would use PS2 DS. And if you bought a PS3 on release, you would even have been missing out on rumble. lol

Yeah that analogy maybe wasn't the best :p But still, look at all the features that the Wii U tablet has over the Wiimote. Anyone stuck with the Wiimote is going to feel like they're not getting the full experience.

Yeah that analogy maybe wasn't the best :p But still, look at all the features that the Wii U tablet has over the Wiimote. Anyone stuck with the Wiimote is going to feel like they're not getting the full experience.

Like those poor people stuck playing with star bits in the Mario Galaxy games?

Top Bottom