• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yagharek

Well, finally got JB to honour their own policy. In the end sent a written complaint and then called and spoke to one of the 'managers' and they said it was an old policy. They apparently do allow cross-platform trades, though not all staff seem to be aware of this. I'll forgive them this once.

Then I went and traded in Uncharted 3 for 360 MW3. Then returned my other MW3 at EB for a preorder. Might keep it as a placeholder, might get it. We'll see.

I'm finding there to be a distinct lack of value in games these days, at least at the big end of town. Batman felt compromised, Uncharted felt like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or whatever its called, and CoD 10 is a $79 map pack.

Zelda better be something special, or I'm going to avoid buying games in November from now on.

DeathJr said:
Perhaps you can post your UC3 to someone here and they can trade it for MW3/AC:R.

lol, why would I want Assassin's Creed?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:
Well, that never got clarified the other many times it came up. Good to know that randoms can join after all.

Edit: No wait. The link to "Join Chat Room" takes me to an empty friend list on the new account I just created. Are you guys sure guest access is active?

Edit 2: Oh, perhaps I need a game on the account... Well, that sucks for testing, then.

Yeah It's active, Gravijah popped in the other day after amy and I loitered in the neogaf chat

Clipper

HolyCheck said:
Yeah It's active, Gravijah popped in the other day after amy and I loitered in the neogaf chat
I see. I hadn't noticed any guests in a long time is all. Still sucks that people need to buy a game to get in uninvited, though.

Fredescu

Clipper said:
Still sucks that people need to buy a game to get in uninvited, though.
I wonder if F2P games work for it now, since that is supported. When people have been desperate for access in the past, we've always been able to find someone with a gift copy of some game that everyone has, like Portal.

Fredescu

Frawdder said:
There is an option to make the room private, I would assume that prevents non-members/guests from entering chat.
Oh, I couldn't see it on the webpage. Is that in the actual channel? Or maybe my star isn't strong enough.

Yagharek

Other lessons I learnt today:

Wedding anniversaries can become inadvertently expensive when you find something nice that fits the theme and doesn't have a marked price >.<

And Edge 234 is on news stands here, for air express copies. There is a remarkably well written article on the gaming industry's infatuation with narrative as the path they must travel down. (Conclusion being that narrative is seen as a way to claim legitimacy in wider circles, but its the non-scripted moments in games that are generally light years better).

Article in question: Page 36, issue 234, Leigh Alexander: Level Head

Also noticing a big disconnect between what Edge sees as the 'future of interactive entertainment' and what interests me (hint: they seem to like iOS type games and MMOs. Needless to say they aren't my cup of tea).

Clipper

Fredescu said:
I wonder if F2P games work for it now, since that is supported. When people have been desperate for access in the past, we've always been able to find someone with a gift copy of some game that everyone has, like Portal.
Having it in the list doesn't seem to be enough. Perhaps if I finished the download, but it's too big for me to bother testing with.

RandomVince said:
Also noticing a big disconnect between what Edge sees as the 'future of interactive entertainment' and what interests me (hint: they seem to like iOS type games and MMOs. Needless to say they aren't my cup of tea).
I've been disconnected from the future of interactive entertainment since about 1997. You get used to it.

Salazar

Actually quite looking forward to AC:R tomorrow.

Not so much the "oooooh modern day wooo technology aaaaah conspiracy" shit. I just want to roam and mess folks up.

Fredescu

ClivePwned said:
Fred, RepScorp

budget is as little as possible- I'm aiming for under 1k. Less would be better because it eats into my savings earmarked for a possible trip to America next year

i don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers,
Ok, I didn't quite get it under $1k. How badly does it need to be there?

FTmCp.png

Damn hard drive shortages.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
How did my day start you ask?

Just one of many normal morning skype calls to our support desk in NZ to have a chat and discuss the going ons of the work week.

"Get up to much on the weekend?"
"Not really, just played some videogames"
"Oh, what games?"
"Morrowind, its the prequal to skyrim that came out late last week, you may or may not know it" (the dudes 40, didn't expect him to)
"Oh nice, iv'e got the other sequel to skyrim, oblivion on my xbox, quality game"
"Indeed, so what about you, get up to much?"
"Played skyrim" (H)
"Oh":(

Frawdder

Fredescu said:
Oh, I couldn't see it on the webpage. Is that in the actual channel? Or maybe my star isn't strong enough.
I believe we have the same powers. It's in the channel, up the top next to the 'AusGaf' title there is an arrow that produces a drop down menu, one of the options is 'Lock this room (make private)'.

Fredescu

HolyCheck said:
"Morrowind, its the prequal to skyrim that came out late last week, you may or may not know it"
Last time I corrected someone on this they thanked me, so second time lucky I guess. It isn't actually a prequel. A prequel is something that came later, but is set earlier. Star Wars Ep IV is not a prequel to Ep V, but Ep I is.

I think I've become more of a casual descriptivist as time goes by. I can accept that the meanings to words in their common usages change. Prequel is such a specific term for a specific thing though, that it would be a shame to lose.

Rahk

People adding me on Twitter? What is this madness? I didn't give out my Twitters as I haven't used it for like a year. Not that I care. Add away so it looks like I have friends, yay! Who knows, perhaps it will give me a reason to Twattle.

Fredescu

I'm bad at Twitter. I've tried it three times. Every time I follow more and more people and get to the point where it's just to much work to keep up with everything, but I just can't decide who to cull, so I just kinda give up all together. Then I do a mass cull, use it again for a while, and the cycle repeats.

Rahk

That's pretty much what happened with me, except I just straight out quit the first time it got to be too much.

Fredescu

It's annoying, because I like the content at times. I just wish it acted a bit more like an Inbox, so I can tell what I haven't read and go back months if I want, and maybe ignore stuff in my videogames or politics folder for a while. I don't know if there are clients that do that. I tried a couple of different ones that didn't really do anything for me.

Omikron

Fredescu said:
It's annoying, because I like the content at times. I just wish it acted a bit more like an Inbox, so I can tell what I haven't read and go back months if I want, and maybe ignore stuff in my videogames or politics folder for a while. I don't know if there are clients that do that. I tried a couple of different ones that didn't really do anything for me.
create lists based around what users tweet about? Might make it easier to browse by ' topic'.

I terms to just ignore anything from more than a few hours back I haven't read. Just all too hard.

Rahk

I already have a hard enough time keeping up with AusGAF. Don't think I really need another thing to waste my time on.

Rahk

Choc said:
releasing saints row and ac2 r the same day is dumb
Agreed. I didn't even realise AC was coming out soon until a few days ago (I guess PC is delayed though). So I'll probably get AC during the Steam Christmas sale.

That build is spot on fucking fantastic Fred. Would not change a thing. Actually maybe pony up the extra $15 for the modular PSU. Also I can highly recommend the m4 SSD as a OS/Games storage place even though the cost is so high, insane how fast it is.

EatChildren said:
But the first requirement would be owning inFamous 2 (terribad Sony IP), and the second requirement would be wanting Modern Warfrare 3 (terribad Activision game).

Why would I do this to myself DeathJr? Why?
They may both not be to your taste but neither game could be considered terribad. Both execute what they are aiming for perfectly, with Infamous 2 being a huge step up from the already great original. Does this mean you are taking them off the shelves at JB when you start? ;)

Choc said:
so im hearing rumors the simpsons went to E3 in the most recent US ep
I heard that Simpsons had been dying for years after their stars bloated the budget to the point where they couldn't pay for decent writers any more. But it is okay. Homer Simpson got paid his $400,000 to appear in the shitty 20th season. That is all that matters. Hopefully they bring out a Blu Ray box set of the first 10-12 seasons.

hamchan said:
I like how everybody is shitting on them in a thread about their happy occasion. Brings joy to my heart.
Thisisneogaf.gif

Choc said:
Qwkp5.gif

D.Lo said:
Right, didn't get a decent answer last time - where is the best/cheapest place to buy a US 3DS online?
PlayAsia has one for $200 on special, usually $230. Postage is around $30.
Otherwise Amazon is your best bet. Buy a bunch of games as the initial postage is steep but additional items aren't much more.

Salazar said:
And frostbite spiders. I fuckin hate spiders.
These ones?
spiderhero.jpg

Dark Messiah had some cool spiders
12.jpg

RandomVince said:
Chasing the advisers. People look at Zynga and all the crappy iOS developers and assume that in ten years time everyone will only be playing Firemint games on mobile devices or something. They don't understand that because it is a new avenue that consumers have jumped in to see what the fuss is about rather than converting entirely. Other areas of gaming will bolster once the next generation hits, as long as the console costs are kept down which seems plausible considering Nintendo's Wii hardware success.

Gazunta said:
Is Kristen Bell in the new Assassin's Creed? She's my favourite Craig Ferguson cast member ever.
She will be your love monkey in the modern day Assassins Creed III. And then it all turns out that Kristen Bell was just using an Animus to do research for a Sci Fi role she has in an upcoming, sure to be explosive, Michael Bay movie (also starring Sam "Numbers" Worthington). Shamalamadingdong.jpg

Omikron

Also. Vince sure does complain a fucking lot. Especially about how he essentially is getting games for 'free'. No better than a pirate imo.

Shaneus

To make up for missing out on the last few pages of the last thread (and the first page on this one) I'm forgoing any attempts to multiquote (fuck that) and just posting whenever I have a response to something.

reptilescorpio said:
New Thread? Yay!

Twitter accounts in advance this time?

Roosters93 made a list!

reptilescorpio
Rahk
Serrels
Danoss
Box of Bunnies
Vook
Jambo
Evlcookie
Codswallop
Omi
BanShunsaku
Ventron
trinest
HolyCheck
Megadrive
Fredescu
elektrixx
roosters93
Frawdder
elfinke
shaneus
Jintor
Gazunta

AIE Games - Gaz works here! Tweets about high quality games!
Lord OzGameShop - they tweet about games on sale for low low prices!

If I missed anyone it is because you hate me and didn't accept my twitter invite.

Useful websites!
[URL="http://www.oz
[/quote]
Fuck. I knew something was up when I saw two new followers... follow... today!

Yagharek

Doncamatic said:
Saw the thread on gaming side. The guy who turns around on the fence had me rolling, perfect capture of the holier-than-thou gamer. "I've never played the game before, but I know you're full of shit" is also frightfully on point for some most of the crap that gets posted in the review hype threads.

Totally. The overreactions are hilarious to see. You can feel the cognitive dissonance churning over in the mind of the weaker souls, and the outright hostility in the minds of the motherfucking dumbshit ones.

I will say one thing though: I do get heartily excited when Edge gives a game I really want a 10. Mario Galaxy games got them, and there was a marked sensation of smug satisfaction welling up inside when they gave Skyward Sword one. It's just nice to see them excited. Of course I also admit to being in complete disagreement with some other ones, due mostly to later backlash/frustration with said games on a personal level (eg Halo 3, which shat me to tears in the end).

Reading the new issue right now though, one line in their Review opening text really strikes a chord with me.

EDGE 234 said:
It makes you grateful for the self-contained worlds of Skyward Sword and Dark Souls, in which every item has a place and a function. There's nothing missing, or extraneous, in either. The locked doors of Hyrule and Lordran might tease and tantalise, but you can be sure the secret to unlocking them lies within the game, not in the entering of a special code. DLC lets worlds change in front of our eyes, but these titles understand the magic of walking, sword in hand, into a world that feels complete at the outset.

Omi said:
Also. Vince sure does complain a fucking lot. Especially about how he essentially is getting games for 'free'. No better than a pirate imo.

Right, and how is that any different from buying a game at JB, then them offering a 1:1 trade for the big game released the next week? If they are going to offer the deal, they should honour it. As a consumer, I'm allowed to look out for my own interests, and it's not like I did anything approaching the level of skullduggery you see on ecogamer.

Maybe my threshold for what I expect for my money has changed? I don't think UC3 was worth what I paid, which admittedly was paid based on the quality of its predecessors. What I got instead was less game, more frustration and a sense of bitter disappointment, so far as a game can provide.

Danoss

reptilescorpio said:
I heard that Simpsons had been dying for years after their stars bloated the budget to the point where they couldn't pay for decent writers any more. But it is okay. Homer Simpson got paid his $400,000 to appear in the shitty 20th season. That is all that matters.
That probably sounds about right now that you say it. There's only so much money to spread around and they have to cut it somewhere. But people keep watching it, so they don't learn. Goddamn greedy actors, they wouldn't be in a position to demand so much money if the earlier writers didn't get them in that position to begin with.

reptilescorpio said:
Hopefully they bring out a Blu Ray box set of the first 10-12 seasons.
Be careful how early you go. I bought the first 3 seasons a long time ago and was so disappointed. Didn't crack a smile once. I forgot when the golden years were, but it was something like season 5-9 wasn't it?

EDGE gave GTA4 a 10. Ergo I don't read their reviews very often.
They also gave Arkham City and Uncharted 3 9's.

Danoss said:
Be careful how early you go. I bought the first 3 seasons a long time ago and was so disappointed. Didn't crack a smile once. I forgot when the golden years were, but it was something like season 5-9 wasn't it?
Golden for me is 4-10 outliers by 2 years of still great, but not perfect seasons.

Jintor

I only ever watched episodes on television irregularly and therefore on an episode by episode basis, so I don't really have a sense of where they go in seasons. I know a shit episode when I see one though.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
EDGE gave GTA4 a 10. Ergo I don't read their reviews very often.
They also gave Arkham City and Uncharted 3 9's.

Yes, those are standout reviews with which I disagree, but I can't argue against their rationale. Just as if David and Margaret gave a new David Lynch film 5 stars and claim it to be their favourite thing ever, it doesn't mean I'll like it because I really don't get his other films at all.

I do love reading Edge reviews of bad games. Boiling Point and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand were the best from memory. I think they said 50c would be the kind of game one would make if you had been stabbed 8 times and shot.

Deeku

Don't people always say anything after S4 is rubbish? I don't agree with it. I think I own S4-9 and they're all pretty great. I think I'd stop at around S11 though, but I don't know, I haven't watched Simpsons since it stopped being on at 6pm on Ten.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
reptilescorpio said:
They may both not be to your taste but neither game could be considered terribad. Both execute what they are aiming for perfectly, with Infamous 2 being a huge step up from the already great original. Does this mean you are taking them off the shelves at JB when you start? ;)

Man I haven't even played either game and they're still terribad. JB would be a much better place if I was given free reign.

Shaneus

Okay, gonna quote and put something irrelevant in there too, just to make it interesting.

How was this not in the OP? Or this? And who could forget this feelgood favourite from 1999?

You disappoint me, AusGAF.

RandomVince said:
I need a palate cleansing game. After finishing Uncharted and having CoD on the go (multiplayer phone service with friends essentially), I need to get something that is relatively new, left field and good. An example might be something like No More Heroes, Katamari, Psychonauts - anything not hollywood inspired or "from the people that brought you ....".

Any random suggestions?

Even something going back a year would be fine. PS3/Wii preferred.
Didn't you already have Vanquish?

Edit: PS. Everyone should just ignore scores and read the articles from the places you respect. I'd wager that despite Eurogamer giving GTA4 a 10, it would've been a subjective 10 and not full of unnecessary praise.

Danoss

EatChildren said:
Man I haven't even played either game and they're still terribad. JB would be a much better place if I was given free reign.
That's pretty poor form man, you have to admit.

"These games are crap. I haven't played them, but they're atrocious"

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me what the point of merging the words "terrible" and "bad" into "terribad" achieves? "Terrible" would be considered worse than "bad", so adding in the word "bad" is rather redundant. If it's bad, then the word "bad" on its own would suffice. The fact that 2 letters can be chopped off the first word and have another word tacked on shouldn't be a great convenience.

If there is some great reason for doing the above that I'm not aware of, what's the opposing word for it? Should it be "Fantasterriffic"? Perhaps "Terrifantastic" since it has a similar beginning word?

Dead Man

Salazar said:
Actually quite looking forward to AC:R tomorrow.

Not so much the "oooooh modern day wooo technology aaaaah conspiracy" shit. I just want to roam and mess folks up.
Wrong game then, you will need SRTT.

commanderdeek said:
Don't people always say anything after S4 is rubbish? I don't agree with it. I think I own S4-9 and they're all pretty great. I think I'd stop at around S11 though, but I don't know, I haven't watched Simpsons since it stopped being on at 6pm on Ten.

Season 4? Nah, the general idea tends to be that the decline starts around season 9. I tend to agree with that, but think 9 and 10 are still generally more good than not.

Top Bottom