• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

Grinchy

Banned
lol remember when Nintendo fans used to regurgitate that "DLC done right!" bullshit mantra over and over again?

That's what this thread reminds me of for some reason

Shauni

The amiibo costumes in this one really isn't anything special. They either look too busy or too plain and you can get gear that's better relatively quickly. The first game was the one that was some bullshit, because they locked minigames behind them, and those were fun as hell. And you got new SP levels, too.

Yeah, we can really see your dedication

I didn't realize that I was supposed to be dedicated to consumer electronics companies. My point is the Wii U wouldn't be "dead" if Nintendo was still releasing games for it. BOTW seemed to have sold pretty well.

Kureransu

Splatoon 2 is asking me to buy a whole new console to play it. No reason this game couldn't have also had a Wii U port, if BOTW can run fine on a Wii U. Also the online is only "free" for the next few months.
The reason is because they made it for switch, and it was never in the cards for Wii u, unlike Zelda. They did the exact same thing with twilight princess. like every other system successor's first year games of recent, they could most likely be optimized for the previous gen, but that doesn't give you reason to buy the new console.

I didn't realize that I was supposed to be dedicated to consumer electronics companies. My point is the Wii U wouldn't be "dead" if Nintendo was still releasing games for it. BOTW seemed to have sold pretty well.
The Wii u is dead because no one was buying it. Releasing games for a system no one wants seems like a poor business decisions.

ch4fx_

I like this first post.

A smartphone could run you $800 though.

tumblr_nk6lp22lJU1re3x32o1_500.gif

Insaniac

The ol amiibo don't do enough vs amiibo is DLC thing.

Anyways, the amiibo I bought a year ago for Splatoon 1 seem to work just fine *shrug*

Shauni

Oh, well, I figured you must have some dedication there, because it's a silly thing to expect them to do.

This is a potential issue but I don't think Nintendo has confirmed that all online multiplayer will be locked to the paid service. Right now with the app/service in a kind of free beta-testing phase, it seems like stuff like the online lounge and Splatnet 2 will be locked behind the paid service but not multiplayer in general. I would be surprised if Nintendo locked all online multiplayer behind the paid app/service. Right now ARMS and MK8D aren't even supported by the app.

Online multiplayer will absolutely be locked behind the paywall. Not all games are going to get extra features in the app like Splatoon 2 does, but you're going to be paying to play online same as Xbox Live or PS+.

Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in 2018.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

Oh, well, I figured you must have some dedication there, because it's a silly thing to expect them to do.

The company needs to be dedicated to the customers who bought their $300 system. Not the other way around.

The Wii u is dead because no one was buying it. Releasing games for a system no one wants seems like a poor business decisions.

Nobody was buying it because they weren't releasing any games for it, which, in Nintendo fashion, was a poor business decision.

Kureransu

The company needs to be dedicated to the customers who bought their $300 system. Not the other way around.
They supported their 13 million customers for 4.33 years. I think they did more than enough given the situation honestly

T
Nobody was buying it because they weren't releasing any games for it, which, in Nintendo fashion, was a poor business decision.
They were the only company releasing games for it pretty much, so I really don't know what you're on about. From March 16-17 you got Starfox,TMS, paper Mario, and Zelda. That's pretty much all that released besides just dance or such. I know it's not a lot but we all knew the system was on it's way out.

Knew this would turn into an amiibo hate thread, just like with the first game. Either buy them or don't; no one gives a solitary fuck about whatever moral dilemma you're having over spending $30 on fucking toys.

Shauni

And they were, for a good 4 years or so, but the console is the biggest failure they've had since the Virtual Boy. They aren't going to take the time and effort to downport a new game for a popular system they can barely keep in stock. The only reason it got BOTW was because that's where it started development.

I mean, Wii U is dead, and yours is in a box. *shrug*

They supported their 13 million customers for 4.33 years. I think they did more than enough given the situation honestly

Your statement is based on an assumption that 13 million people bought a Wii U 4.33 years ago. People who bought that console two years ago, got one year where they released a couple good games and one year where they released one good game. That definitely is not "more than enough".

Whatever though...I've said my piece and don't want to derail this thread any further. Nintendo would never do anything anti-consumer or that is not in the best interest of the customers. I get it.

There's an enormous literal Amiibo retail box in the central hub of the game, and no other way to save/move player loadouts without buying Amiibo. Let's not give more credit than is due.
Did you read the part in my post where I mention an area specifically for amiibos? Cause isn't it the same thing you're admonishing me for missing?
Lol what games have forced you to buy dlc? Seriously? Most time games themselves have too much content if anything
Is the last chapter of Asura's Wrath available for free on the disc yet?

Nia

I'd pay $30 for a DLC that does nothing but permanently kill off Pearl in the Splatoonverse.

You have problems, as do a lot who loathe Pearl. Brings to make those who hate Navi for similarly shallow reasons. She hasn't even done anything worthy of such an overblown reaction.

Shauni

Your statement is based on an assumption that 13 million people bought a Wii U 4.33 years ago. People who bought that console two years ago, got one year where they released a couple good games and one year where they released one good game. That definitely is not "more than enough".

Whatever though...arguing with Nintendo fans is like arguing with Trump supporters. There is just no getting through. I've said my piece and don't want to derail this thread any further. Nintendo would never do anything anti-consumer or that is not in the best interest of the customers. I get it.

Alright, cool, see ya

GTDi5SI.gif

The amiibo gear ain't nearly as bad as the single player content locked behind them in the original.

Starting gear, sure. Weapons? I disagree. I still enjoyed using the Splattershot Jr. 150 hours into the first Splatoon. Weapons you earn at higher levels aren't better, just different.

Agreed on Splattershot Jr. (and low level gear in general) being criminally underrated. Mained a squiffer myself back in Splatoon 1 (which I hope it gets added soon, I really miss it lol). Levels really do become a grind though, so if you have a preference for some of the later weapons, it kinda sucks.

Kureransu

Whatever though...arguing with Nintendo fans is like arguing with Trump supporters. There is just no getting through. I've said my piece and don't want to derail this thread any further. Nintendo would never do anything anti-consumer or that is not in the best interest of the customers. I get it.
If say that in this situation you'd be the Trump supporter. If you bought a Wii U in the last two years, then one could argue you'd have a large backlog of games to pick up and play. You knew the user base was abysmal at that time too, so one can argue you made a poor investment decision. If this was Sony and the Vita if agree they deserted the system and their fans, but it's simply not the case in this situation.

That's surprising. I don't think Nintendo is going to have much success converting people over to the paid online service.

If their Netflix-style service to play their older games is actually good, people will be paying for that first, and the online play will be an afterthought. Sort of like the opposite of having an XBL/PS+ subscription.

Are you seriously bringing politics into this? Like seriously?

jrDev

Jesus, what is this? Wow! Video games people, not comparable politics that ruin people's lives...

Veitsev

In a world where $100-$150 collector's editions, $50 season passes, loot boxes, etc exist I will never understand people getting so upset over Nintendo selling $12 toys with optional cosmetic content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I would propose a few issues here.

1.) As most people have mentioned, there is actually paid content with things like Amiibo. Similarly, the platform has an annual online fee, and Nintendo's games are going to be the main selling point of that.

2.) Since Splatoon 2 doesn't have a long time business model, Nintendo has already announced that they're going to abandoned content updates after a year, and abandoned Splatfests after two years. By comparison, games like Rainbow Six or Overwatch are going to get updated for years upon years

3.) In loot box games, not only do you get continued support for years on end, but you can actually get the skin content for free as well. Sure, you're probably not going to get all of them, but the reason people prefer the loot box model to the Titanfall 2 model of just selling you skins for $5-$10 a pop is that you can get a bunch of new skins without paying any money. The skins are also incentivized to be quite good to make you want to buy more loot boxes.

In the short term, sure, I can get why someone might look at Splatoon 2 and go "I can get a year of free content and I don't have to work hard to unlock any of it!", but in the end, you're only getting that year of content. If Nintendo doesn't release another Splatoon this generation, then you're pretty much dead in the water for another 4+ years. If they do, you then have to pay a mandatory $60 fee for the next game, which is way more than most people spend on games with loot boxes (since most don't pay for boxes).

Jesus, what is this? Wow! Video games people, not comparable politics that ruin people's lives...

Sorry, I was only talking about the argumentative tactics. Don't think for a second that I would assume any perception of political ideology from either of the folks I was talking to.

I have removed that bit though. Apologies.

Shauni

So I would propose a few issues here.

1.) As most people have mentioned, there is actually paid content with things like Amiibo. Similarly, the platform has an annual online fee, and Nintendo's games are going to be the main selling point of that.

2.) Since Splatoon 2 doesn't have a long time business model, Nintendo has already announced that they're going to abandoned content updates after a year, and abandoned Splatfests after two years. By comparison, games like Rainbow Six or Overwatch are going to get updated for years upon years

3.) In loot box games, not only do you get continued support for years on end, but you can actually get the skin content for free as well. Sure, you're probably not going to get all of them, but the reason people prefer the loot box model to the Titanfall 2 model of just selling you skins for $5-$10 a pop is that you can get a bunch of new skins without paying any money. The skins are also incentivized to be quite good to make you want to buy more loot boxes.

In the short term, sure, I can get why someone might look at Splatoon 2 and go "I can get a year of free content and I don't have to work hard to unlock any of it!", but in the end, you're only getting that year of content. If Nintendo doesn't release another Splatoon this generation, then you're pretty much dead in the water for another 4+ years. If they do, you then have to pay a mandatory $60 fee for the next game, which is way more than most people spend on games with loot boxes.

Oh hell, has that been confirmed? That is very disappointing

Splatoon 2 is asking me to buy a whole new console to play it. No reason this game couldn't have also had a Wii U port, if BOTW can run fine on a Wii U. Also the online is only "free" for the next few months.
lol, what? The Wii U has been dead for a long time. The only reason BotW came out on it is because they made the mistake of revealing it far too early and committing to releasing it on that console.

Personally I'll take the Titanfall 2 model. The drop rates in Overwatch were so awful it killed any interest/excitement in loot boxes, instead just letting all my credits from the ridiculous amount of duplicates build up until I could buy a skin I wanted.

ZOONAMI

I actually feel like they should sell the amiibo stuff stand alone. I don't want to display them anywhere and I don't want them taking up storage space either.

Top Bottom