• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City is now down, the maintenance message is amazing

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
In accordance with OP's Twitter message, here are a ton of recent interesting Indie games that you can play instead:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517647
Random Screenshot:
02.2.jpg
:)

Oppo

after Diablo this shouldn't have been a surprise.

I'm surprised that I'm surprised.

Yeah it's totally busted right now.

So far 2 for 2 on shit launches with always-online-connected games. D3 was the first I'e bought, and now this is screwed too. And I thought it would be smart to wait a day or two for them to get things sorted. I've seen maybe 5 minutes of this game between crashes and this connection nonsense.

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an always-online game ever again.

GlassBox

Banned
I don't think the issue is on Origin's end. It's all Maxis. BF3 launch was fine when it released, and I'm pretty sure demand was much higher for that game.

Maxis is just an incompetent studio.
I fail to see how Maxis is responsible for Origin server issues, since Origin is managed by entirely different teams within EA

antitrop

Sucks but hyperbolic statements about never buying always online games are silly. The tech will get better, better companies will figure it out etc. Curious though when this issue gets fixed will those of you with the "Guess I'll be skipping this" attitude buy it? I'm waiting til the issues are ironed out, but I'll probably still get it. I don't have any problem philosophically with always online. Just the realities of the current implementations.
I'm so with you, but I have a disturbingly passive stance on the whole matter.
I bought Diablo III day 1 and didn't even care about the Error 37. I just played a different game when the servers were down.

I won't defend it, I'm just not personally bothered by it. It's a personality trait, rather than a philosophical stance I hold. I'm a very easy-going, accepting person by nature.

Should Sim City require an internet connection to play by yourself? No, of course not. Is it really enough to be the sole reason to not purchase the game? Not for me.

rdrr gnr

I don't think the issue is on Origin's end. It's all Maxis. BF3 launch was fine when it released, and I'm pretty sure demand was much higher for that game.

Maxis is just an incompetent studio.
Not on consoles. Finding a server/game was fine but the quality of the connection was unbearable. Rubberbanding and all.

Still don't think DRM is a problem Polygon?

Polygon's shitty review practices got caught out when they 'decided' the WiiU update wouldn't be online in time for release and all went home for the day. Then it went online and they had to rush a review together...of a console...

Which is strange as it is; but still.
They don't give a shit about informing you, they give a shit about being first before you've started reading information elsewhere.

I can't even sing into Origin.

The Durango sign in process confirmed?

They don't deserve ANY blame though? Many bought the game knowing full well there was a risk that this would happen because of the online only DRM.

On a side note I could see this happening from a mile away. EA servers are the king of garbage and always fail on launch for one of their big games.

No, they don't. If your favorite franchise put out a new title, I'm sure you'd buy it as soon as possible and I'm sure you'd be ticked off if you couldn't play it after your purchase.

This is where people band together and become vocal about their problems, not blame each other for supporting the practice. We vote with our wallets now, which is why I didn't pick this up, but that doesn't mean Joe Everygamer, who said to himself, "whoa, a new SimCity, sweet," ran out and purchased it and then couldn't play should be blamed.

Branduil

Sucks but hyperbolic statements about never buying always online games are silly. The tech will get better, better companies will figure it out etc. Curious though when this issue gets fixed will those of you with the "Guess I'll be skipping this" attitude buy it? I'm waiting til the issues are ironed out, but I'll probably still get it. I don't have any problem philosophically with always online. Just the realities of some of the current implementations.

There are absolutely zero benefits to the consumer for always-online in a single-player game. That's reason enough to oppose it.

Harlock

Time for Sim City 4? Back in 2003 my PC don´t have enoug ram for big cities. Now must run upper super smooth.

Game%20Sim%20City.jpg

SRTtoZ

I said this before but ill say it again, at LEAST Blizzard had to deal with an onslaught of 6 million people in its first week. Whats the excuse for this EA? I'm sorry but if you are going to implement always on DRM, then you better have it fucking right.

Disclaimer: I still love this game.

volturnus

Banned
It's a trend, really. TOR, BF3, ME3, Fifa 13, and now Sim City. There's probably a few other PC releases I didn't remember.

Kade

The Origin logo looks like the icon they use on the news when mapping out hurricane trajectories, which is pretty appropriate in this situation.

ea-origin-logo-530.jpg

gcubed

I'm surprised that I'm surprised.

Yeah it's totally busted right now.

So far 2 for 2 on shit launches with always-online-connected games. D3 was the first I'e bought, and now this is screwed too. And I thought it would be smart to wait a day or two for them to get things sorted. I've seen maybe 5 minutes of this game between crashes and this connection nonsense.

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an always-online game ever again.

i waited solely because of the D3 issues. I'll eventually pick it up once everything gets sorted and the mad rush dies

antitrop

There are absolutely zero benefits to the consumer for always-online in a single-player game. That's reason enough to oppose it.
Social networking.

Diablo III was more enjoyable to me because of the Battle.net integration, people being able to jump into your games, you jump into theirs, chatting in the middle of a single player game, etc.

Even if the option to play Diablo III offline was given, I would have played 100% online, anyway. Even when I was playing by myself.

Mugaaz

Im surprised all the people defending always online arent here to do damage control.

Not to be a troll, but the issue here really is EA/MAXIS/whomever's gross incompetence and negligence. The always online DRM is what brings it into the light. Even without the DRM there entire online service would still be down because they are absolute fucking morons behind the scenes and its their idiocy that is inconveniencing everybody right now.

Is it possible to get a refund if I bought this through GMG?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was really looking forward to finally diving into this tonight. It's conflicting because on one hand I hate that I gave EA $45 dollars for this, but on the other, it's been nearly a decade since the last Sim City release and I'm fiending. Sadly there aren't really any modern city building sims of comparable quality.

DJMicLuv

I have no pity for Day 1 gamers anymore. They deserve all the bullshit they have to endure.

I appreciate them though, because by the time I buy the game at 30 dollars, they have found most the bugs and worked out all the server issues.

Lol! So you can't afford new games and have to wait until they're cheap to buy them? Don't you feel a bit left out when everyone else is enjoying a new game and you're sat looking at your $30 waiting for the sales? Poor Adam. No wonder you feel so angry at those silly Day 1 gamers.

Glass Rebel

It's almost as if there was a huge online-only game released recently that should have shown people exactly how this would play out and they still ignored it.

Sucks but hyperbolic statements about never buying always online games are silly. The tech will get better, better companies will figure it out etc. Curious though when this issue gets fixed will those of you with the "Guess I'll be skipping this" attitude buy it? I'm waiting til the issues are ironed out, but I'll probably still get it. I don't have any problem philosophically with always online. Just the realities of some of the current implementations.

Lol. I WILL NOT buy anything with online always DRM for single player games. I have been burned by D3's online always DRM and I will not support it.

It is fucking awful and you are awful for supporting it. I don't pay $60 to rent a game that can just shut off at any time.

Here's a good one: Many people who bought and supported Diablo 3 can't play the game right now because there is an issue with the AT&T backbone that a lot of Eastern seaboard connections hop through.

Blizzard can't fix the problem because it is not their servers. End user can't fix the problem because it is outside of their ISP.

So fuck online DRM for single player.

And big fucking lol because EA is notorious for pulling servers offline forever. What is going to happen to paid copies when EA stops the server?

qko

Its got a Metacritic score of 91 at the moment. No need to fix anything since everyone agrees the game is great.

/s

Who plays a game at launch anyway??? The game is down, so the only people who try to play the game now are sadists who have nothing better to do than complain about the hard work of the poor people at Maxis. MMOs have downtime all the time (WoW at least once a week and that launched in 2004!!!) and with the powerful social features in SimCity, it holds up to the best of MMOs IMO!!!

This has to be a joke

right???

Top Bottom