• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My desire to buy new toys really makes me want to snag an 8 just to have something to play with this week, and then sell it in a month and a half when the X comes out. Stupid, I know... but doesn't mean I want to do it any less.

My desire to buy new toys really makes me want to snag an 8 just to have something to play with this week, and then sell it in a month and a half when the X comes out. Stupid, I know... but doesn't mean I want to do it any less.

I’ll echo something I told you in different context about the ceramic watch: do it so I’m not the only person who did it

Red

The ceramic model seems like a superfluous waste of cash. It doesn’t change the experience in any way that justifies its cost.

I’m not knocking anyone who buys it. I don’t get it. But if it’s what you want, go for it.

Guess Who

Banned
The ceramic model seems like a superfluous waste of cash. It doesn't change the experience in any way that justifies its cost.

I'm not knocking anyone who buys it. I don't get it. But if it's what you want, go for it.

Sometimes people just want to have nice things. The steel Series 3 isn't any more functional than the aluminum, but hell if I'm buying an aluminum watch
or a watch with a giant red fuckin dot on it

Red

Sometimes people just want to have nice things. The steel Series 3 isn't any more functional than the aluminum, but hell if I'm buying an aluminum watch
or a watch with a giant red fuckin dot on it
The steel model at least gets the sapphire glass and is a little more scratch resistant, the difference in durability between ceramic and steel seems negligible. They’re both going to hold up better than the aluminum models over time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I’ll echo something I told you in different context about the ceramic watch: do it so I’m not the only person who did it

Haha - I like your style.

I'm gonna be in Baltimore all this week for work; mostly by myself working from a hotel room 90% of the time. If there's an Apple Store nearby, I very well may just do it.

killroy87

The ceramic model seems like a superfluous waste of cash. It doesn’t change the experience in any way that justifies its cost.

I’m not knocking anyone who buys it. I don’t get it. But if it’s what you want, go for it.

It seems extra silly considering the watch, like an iPhone, is tech you’ll probably want to replace in a year or two.

Red

It seems extra silly considering the watch, like an iPhone, is tech you’ll probably want to replace in a year or two.
That’s exactly what I mean. It doesn’t make sense to me for someone to pay so much for a tech accessory that will be obsolete in a handful of years. It’s a cool device, but it won’t retain value the same way actual jewelry does.

Does anyone have information as to how the three different USB-C adapters (29W, 61W and 87W) affect the rate of charge? In other words, can the 29W adapter charge it to 50% within 30mins?

NYR

Quality and craftsmanship are worth something. I suggest you do a little research on how they make the ceramic watch. It takes them hours per watch just to polish it. All from a single block of ceramic.

Apple-Watch-Edition-production-780x298.png

Oxn

Quality and craftsmanship are worth something. I suggest you do a little research on how they make the ceramic watch. It takes them hours per watch just to polish it. All from a single block of ceramic.

And then complrtely fucks it up
With a giant red dot

Quick question, I got an 8+ and when play Pokémon go for some reason my screen goes darker after a few min, but then when go back to the browser or something after a few minutes it gets brighter.

Is there a setting I have enabled? It’s kind of annoying and I’d prefer it to always be bright.

Vuze

The red dot is honestly like in the top ten most baffling Apple aesthetic choices of the past fifteen years
I also love how some like Gurman are trying to downplay it. No shit, people care quite a bit about how their multiple hundred dollar watch looks? Really really hope they go back to the previous colors with the next series.

Skel1ingt0n

I also love how some like Gurman are trying to downplay it. No shit, people care quite a bit about how their multiple hundred dollar watch looks? Really really hope they go back to the previous colors with the next series.

It's also very, very fascinating how Apple has done a pretty much 180 degree pivot on what the Apple Watch is. The very first introduction presented their new product as a fashion product, through and through; this was most demonstrably their goal when they put the 5-figure "Edition" up against things like Rolex, IWC, Omega, etc; with a focus on celebrities wearing the device alongside high-end suits and shoes on the red carpet. This was a "ultra-lux" product that scaled alongside prestigious watch-makers and their classic pieces, complications, and overall designs.

And now, just three years later, the Apple Watch is almost 100% marketed as a sports/fitness/health device with a "techy spin" in that it complements an iPhone. Even their highest-end models don't break ~$1,500, and that's with a partnership with Hermes.

Would really love to have an inside ear on what changed. What internal dialgoues were had. If this was always the plan or if it unraveled organically.

In any case - what you say is 100% right and it's utterly hilarious that certain people are down-playing the red-dot. For a device that was supposedly all about design and character - especially from the tech company that most prides itself on its design, the red-dot is just ridiculous. It has no place being on the Watch, and its truly remarkable that they've somehow thought it was "okay." For a time piece, it's utterly baffling - and if I'm going to wear a ~$500 device on my wrist, I sure as hell want it to look good.

It's also very, very fascinating how Apple has done a pretty much 180 degree pivot on what the Apple Watch is. The very first introduction presented their new product as a fashion product, through and through; this was most demonstrably their goal when they put the 5-figure "Edition" up against things like Rolex, IWC, Omega, etc; with a focus on celebrities wearing the device alongside high-end suits and shoes on the red carpet. This was a "ultra-lux" product that scaled alongside prestigious watch-makers and their classic pieces, complications, and overall designs.

And now, just three years later, the Apple Watch is almost 100% marketed as a sports/fitness/health device with a "techy spin" in that it complements an iPhone. Even their highest-end models don't break ~$1,500, and that's with a partnership with Hermes.

Would really love to have an inside ear on what changed. What internal dialgoues were had. If this was always the plan or if it unraveled organically.

In any case - what you say is 100% right and it's utterly hilarious that certain people are down-playing the red-dot. For a device that was supposedly all about design and character - especially from the tech company that most prides itself on its design, the red-dot is just ridiculous. It has no place being on the Watch, and its truly remarkable that they've somehow thought it was "okay." For a time piece, it's utterly baffling - and if I'm going to wear a ~$500 device on my wrist, I sure as hell want it to look good.

I think it’s about e health and that push. E health will be big going forward into the 2020’s with wearable tech that tells you more about your body than you know. It could be helpful for a number of reasons. I think it make sense to push the watch as a health device first. That gets more people to buy it. It’s why I bought the series 2.

There's also no guarantee you'd get the x in a month and a half with the production rumours. So if you can afford to take the small loss then go for it if you want shiny new toys.

I love my Apple Watch 3 (LTE issues not withstanding), but it definitely feels like a "iPhone 3GS/iPhone 4"-type product. Like, it's fast, and it's like 85% of the way there, but it's still noticeably laggy, and you still experience load screens.

It's clear that they're battling everything they can to fit so much into such a small form-factor and such a tight power budget. I think the next die shrink will be a breakthrough on power/performance.

WSJ Apple Watch S3 Review was really good. It makes me want one because it’d be nice to go without my phone some days, but it looks like the battery life isn’t quite there yet.

Red

If it retains its value after five years, I will wholeheartedly endorse that view.

Animator

It’s going to be worth a cool $200 two years from now. You are not buying a fucking Rolex.

marrec

Banned
I dusted off my old Samsung wireless chargers today lol

The iPhone's a bit too tall to charge on the Fast Charge pad while vertical, only hits the sweet spot in landscape, which isn't bad cause I can charge while watching Youtube I guess.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So I tried on my mothers 38mm Series 1 Apple Watch. I have tiny wrist and it fits me nice especially with the small band in it. My stupid ass ordered the 42mm Series 3 thinking the bigger screen would be needed. I fucked up, its probably going to be ridiculously huge on me, and look corny as hell.

Oh well I reap what I sow, gonna have to deal with it until I upgrade to the Series 4 if that one is a big jump.

So I tried on my mothers 38mm Series 1 Apple Watch. I have tiny wrist and it fits me nice especially with the small band in it. My stupid ass ordered the 42mm Series 3 thinking the bigger screen would be needed. I fucked up, its probably going to be ridiculously huge on me, and look corny as hell.

Oh well I reap what I sow, gonna have to deal with it until I upgrade to the Series 4 if that one is a big jump.

You can return it and get the right size....

return it and get the 38. My wrist is also small and 38 is perfect. Wears like a 40 (normal watch). Unless you're into that boxy gadget on the wrist look like I've seen people with small wrists do. But 38 looks like a good looking accessory on a smaller wrist.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Starting to regret getting the 8 ‘Plus’. The size upgrade is nice, always getting the smaller before, but now with extended use its clear I am incapable of handling the device with one hand. I suppose in time I will just acclimate, but getting bummed at not waiting for the form fitting X.

MercuryLS3

Starting to regret getting the 8 ‘Plus’. The size upgrade is nice, always getting the smaller before, but now with extended use its clear I am incapable of handling the device with one hand. I suppose in time I will just acclimate, but getting bummed at not waiting for the form fitting X.

The 8 Plus is a gargantuan phone, and it's quite heavy to boot. The thing is absolutely unwieldily, I don't know how people do it. It feels like a tablet with a cell radio, not a phone.

The X looks manageable, just a bit lager and heavier than the regular 8.

Daffy Duck

What's one of the most amazing looking cases for an 8?

I am wary of Spigen going forward as the last one has wrecked the back of my 6S.

Top Bottom