• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

B.K.

Does each manual in Colony 9 only raise the skill to intermediate, or can you keep buying the same manual to keep raising the skill? How many books per skill do you need?

All manuals you can buy only take Arts to the intermediate level. You have to get advanced manuals from Unique Monsters.

zlatko

Banned
All manuals you can buy only take Arts to the intermediate level. You have to get advanced manuals from Unique Monsters.

Is there a way to check if an art is at intermediate or not? I don't want to rebuy the same manual that I can't use, or have to go one by one and load/reload saves to make sure.

Mikey Jr.

I am surprised to see people whining about the newbie Colony 9 quests. I have 3.5 hours clocked so far and managed to complete every quest there up to the point where you head out for Colony 6. I did this with absolutely zero outside help.

Yes, it is clear that some NPCs only appear at certain times of day. However, I was able to find everyone I needed just through the normal progression and exploration of the colony.

As for collectables, I found everything I needed just from grabbing the random items on the ground as I explored the surrounding area hunting monsters for the other quests.

Come back in 20 hours and then talk.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The time system is cool, but having so many hourly options is terrible. There should only be a day and night mode for NPC's. 6am-6pm is day, 6pm-6am is night. Not dusk or mid afternoon or whatever. Or if you do that, give me some more info.

The game does give you this info. The times and zones NPCs are in are displayed on the affinity chart. You do have to speak to them in order to make them appear on the chart, though.

You should be speaking to any named NPC you can find multiple times. They often have more than just one thing to say, and they'll frequently talk about other NPCs and what they think about them, further filling in the affinity chart and granting you region affinity.

It would be nice if the affinity chart was a little more specific on their location, though. They usually just list the nearest landmark to their location, I believe.

Cloudy

Banned
6 hours in and I gotta say, this game is FANTASTIC!!!

I think Nintendo made a big mistake not pushing this game with ads and what not. I think it could really sell consoles. The story's pretty interesting so far and the cast is growing on me but the challenging gameplay (I think I've ko-ed more times than I did in FFX, FF12 and FF13 combined lol) and scope really put it over the top.

Squaresoft should be ashamed of what they did with FF13 compared to a game like this

PS: Sharla is HOT :D

PS2: What the hell do I do with affinity coins?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PS2: What the hell do I do with affinity coins?

They're used for skill links. I'm not sure if you've had the tutorial for that or not yet, but you can "spend" affinity coins to add a character's skill to another character. The higher affinity between characters, the more skills can be linked between them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason not to sell old equipment, and collectables that aren't for quests?

Collectibles - gifts for party members. Don't sell any. You really don't need money for much in this game, so there's no reason to sell more stuff than you really have to, and you will never run out of inventory space for collectibles. There are more spaces available than there are unique collectibles.

There isn't really any reason to hold onto most old equipment, though, and you'll be getting equipment so frequently as drops in battle that your weapon and armor inventories will fill up eventually, so you can pretty safely toss a lot of it. Keep what you want, toss the rest. You might want to prioritize selling off generic unslotted equipment over uniques or those with slots, though.

branny

God on a wheel, everything was going great until
Alcamoth
turned into one giant timed quest gangbang. UGHHHHHHHH

Holy Bionis! The leg! The leg is HUGE

This game is a explorers dream come true. Love going to a new area and finding every nook and cranny and this game has a ton of them. I did find that killing special creatures before engaging in the side quests is a big no no. lol. Should have known better but I assumed they would respawn...they don't.

They do. Just wait a bit.

Wait, could it have been the lack of using coins stopping me from seeing H2Hs? I've only been able to view one lol

Nah, the H2Hs just require a certain affinity level between the characters, nothing else.

God on a wheel, everything was going great until
Alcamoth
turned into one giant timed quest gangbang. UGHHHHHHHH

The cutoff point is a loooooooong ways away, don't worry.

Ra1den

Do party members open treasure chests? I thought every enemy drops a chest, but recently im sometimes only getting one chest for several enemies. And I keep hearing chests opening somewhere... Are my party members swiping my items?

Do party members open treasure chests? I thought every enemy drops a chest, but recently im sometimes only getting one chest for several enemies. And I keep hearing chests opening somewhere... Are my party members swiping my items?

No.

Sometimes you don't get a chest, and sometimes when fighting multiple enemies at once the number of chests that drop won't be the same as the number of enemies you fought. Your party members aren't swiping anything.

Ra1den

No.

Sometimes you don't get a chest, and sometimes when fighting multiple enemies at once the number of chests that drop won't be the same as the number of enemies you fought. Your party members aren't swiping anything.

Whew. Now I feel bad for suspecting Sharla.

Zing

Banned
All of them? In 3.5 hours while also moving the story along? I doubt it, there are probably 50 or so quests available at that point. Often after a quest if you talk to the people involved it will improve your affinity for the area, and it can also change affinity between two NPCs. Both can cause new quests to pop up.
I am not using a walkthrough or anything, but I have scoured the town and see no new quests, and I am at affinity 2. Most of the quests take literally zero time to complete, because I already found the item just from killing random stuff or picking up every "blue orb" I ran near. I'd have to double-check my play time, but I am pretty sure it's at 3.5 hours. I know for sure I was at 1.5 in my first play session, and only played for a couple hours in my second.

Come back in 20 hours and then talk.
If you read my reply and the posts to which I referred, I was talking about the newbie quests. At least two people here were whining about quests you get in the first hour of the game being too difficult.

Leezard

I am not using a walkthrough or anything, but I have scoured the town and see no new quests, and I am at affinity 2. Most of the quests take literally zero time to complete, because I already found the item just from killing random stuff or picking up every "blue orb" I ran near. I'd have to double-check my play time, but I am pretty sure it's at 3.5 hours. I know for sure I was at 1.5 in my first play session, and only played for a couple hours in my second.

If you read my reply and the posts to which I referred, I was talking about the newbie quests. At least two people here were whining about quests you get in the first hour of the game being too difficult.

Some time you need to just speak to people in town. That will increase affinity for the town and sometimes change affinity between townspeople as well, which might pop up new quests.

Zing

Banned
I will thank this thread for showing me that the affinity chart has the appearance time. I guess I didn't read that far down on the screen. I saw the name and description and "some other stuff". :D

I have been too exhausted from unpacking after moving into my new house that I still only have about four hours clocked. I am definitely going to play tonight, though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sooo I'm getting constant disc read errors playing the game (I'm not surprised, I have a launch Wii). Do I send my Wii to NoA for repairs?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm just going to chime in here and say Xenoblade is simply AMAZING! The game is fricken huge, and there is so much to do that you literally will find yourself spending hours away from the main game at a time just tying to put a tiny dent into all the things you can do. I have just left
Frontier Village and Maknu Forest
(17-20 Hours in) and when I first arrived I was like, wow that
huge lit-up tree
is beautiful, too bad it's just a backdrop. Further down the road I learn that you actually do get to go there, but come on, it won't be nearly as cool as it looks, right? I was dead wrong.
Frontier Village
is fricken HUGE and amazing to boot. Probably one of the greatest
towns
in a video game in recent memory. DAT VIEW ..... WOW.

I'm actually 20 hours in, at level 36. Probably the greatest JRPG I have played since Chrono Trigger DS, Final Fantasy X (has a special place in heart), and Skies of Arcadia. Even the characters and story have grown on me. Al the optimism/Exploring/Traveling great lengths gives me a big Skies of Arcadia-vibe.

ag-my001

So, on fetch quests, does it automatically complete the quests when you find the item?

For many of them, yes. The key seems to be if you were given a quest by a named NPC or by a generic town person. Generics will auto-complete, NPCs will often want you to come back.

Zornica

Banned
A good deal of them, but I am finding more and more quests are telling me to go back to the person who gave me the quest.

I'm not liking that.

because they are actuall quests, from named npcs which carry the games backstories.

the only quests that auto complete are the numbered ones from random unnamed npcs. There aren't more than about ~20 per village of this kind. Those are meant for people who want or need some additional xp along their way.

It's also a neat indicator that shows if a reviewer actually played the game or just scratched the surface.
There are WAY more quests that don't auto complete, which is pretty understanable, and yet most reviews claim that "most" quests do.

So, if you don't care about back stories, and quests, and you don't want to return to a certain npc, then don't :p

BKJest

Exactly. The ones that are automatically completed are those called "Monster Quest X", "Search Quest X", "Material Quest X", "Collection Quest X" and "Challenge X" from random people. All the other quests are quests from named NPCs with backstory that advance the affection chart and relationships between active party members and may trigger follow up quests. Therefore those need to be completed with the quest giver.

Jokeropia

I did find that killing special creatures before engaging in the side quests is a big no no. lol. Should have known better but I assumed they would respawn...they don't.
Yes they do, just not as quickly as regular monsters. The only monsters that don't respawn are those spawned specifically for certain quests, and thus cannot even be fought without the quest being active.

Try saving and reloading just outside the vicinity of the monsters spawning point.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was dead wrong.
Frontier Village
is fricken HUGE and amazing to boot. Probably one of the greatest
towns
in a video game in recent memory. DAT VIEW ..... WOW.

I'm actually 20 hours in, at level 36. Probably the greatest JRPG I have played since Chrono Trigger DS, Final Fantasy X (has a special place in heart), and Skies of Arcadia. Even the characters and story have grown on me. Al the optimism/Exploring/Traveling great lengths gives me a big Skies of Arcadia-vibe.

Wait until you get to the next area... lol every new location impresses even more.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I just can't get this game out of my head. Rare is the game that grips me to the point where I won't stop playing even as I fall asleep. Last night, I found myself playing Xenoblade through the clouds of exhaustion obscuring my vision. Even as I knew that my body would not let me stay awake any longer, I just would not allow myself to stop playing willingly.

Cut to this morning, when I wake up with my Classic Controller Pro still in my hands.

Love this game.

zlatko

Banned
Beat that dragonish bastard on Artillery 3 for the fireworks side quest.

:D

Was such a close fight too. So much fun when you can start
seeing into the future what enemies will do so as to counter it.

This game is a blasty blast. :)

ultron87

Satorl Swamp quest spoiler:
Oh I guess I'll just use this altar... HOLY SHIT THREE GIANT SPIDERS!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How is heat determined on the gem crafting? Does the engineer determine it?

Heat happens when a stat exceeds 200% in the process of crafting. This results in a the crafted gem being a level higher than it otherwise would be. Mega Heat occurs if you pass 300% and results in TWO gems a level higher with max stats.

So if you're using level 3 crystals and reach heat status, you'll get a level 4 gem. If you reach mega heat, you'll get 2 level 4 gems with the maximum possible stats for that level.

The engineer is going to determine which flames you're likely to get more of and how effective they are, so getting the right combo can be helpful. Generally speaking, to maximize your output, you want to use gentle flames to create cylinders with stat values as high as possible without going over 100%. Then, if you're focusing on just one stat, you want somebody with good strong flames to try and craft the gem and hopefully get to mega heat.

Obviously you also want high affinity between the shooter and engineer for that gem crafting phase so you have as many turns as possible to try to reach mega heat, though it's less important for making the cylinders (you don't want to have too many turns there and risk accidentally creating a gem instead of a cylinder).

Alright Xenoblade, you are now in my top 10 favorite RPG's ever. And I'm not even close to finishing the game yet.

Prison Island is the tip of the iceburg, Galahad Fortress and Fallen Hand sold me. And just for the record. I HATE ALCAMOTH! TOO DAMN BIG OF A CITY!

Oh yeah, Heropon awesome.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am 8 hours in and ready to quit. I absolutely hate the writing and voice acting, I find the battle system to be tiresome, the equipment system is a complete chore, the story is boring so far, I just don't like it at all. Does it get way better or am I just weird and dont like what everybody else loves? I am in the mines below Colony 6 having just met Otheron.

Leezard

I am 8 hours in and ready to quit. I absolutely hate the writing and voice acting, I find the battle system to be tiresome, the equipment system is a complete chore, the story is boring so far, I just don't like it at all. Does it get way better or am I just weird and dont like what everybody else loves? I am in the mines below Colony 6 having just met Otheron.

Well, the story picks up in a while but the fighting system and the equipment is there to stay. You could try yo switch it up a bit with playing a different character in battle (you'll get a new character that I find to be one of the most fun characters to play as right after colony 6). You will get more characters as well, and they all play quite differently. You shouldn't force yourself if you find it terrible though, try taking a break and returning to it after a while; you just might like it better then.

If you don't like it after 8 hours then you probably wont like it for the next 50+.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying it :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Mostly just sounds like it's not your game.

ZenaxPure

The story gets great in about 20 hours or so from where you are if you're focused just on that. The combat.... depends what you don't like. Each character plays different so maybe try using someone else. But if you just aren't a fan of the MMO-like combat at all... then that isn't going to be much different going forward through the game.

Top Bottom