• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

May16

Oh, well, looks like I won't be buying one. And there are so many great games out there for other systems, it won't even phase me.

Oersted

Going completly hd? Someone from SCEA confirmed you can swap hdds like previous models.

Region free is not dying, every PS3 game outside P4A is region free, Bluray movies have always been region locked so how does that make region free dying? Sony just released a new region free handheld and I imagine PS4 will be region free aswel. I can go and create a US or Japanese PSN account and download their stuff so don't understand why you brought it up.

you know the rumors regarding ps4? no used games, no backward compability and so on? or they memory solution on ps vita? let us go for don´t expect too much.

and now, lets go back to the topic. was anyone surprised by these news?

ASIS

If Sony did this whole GAF would be over them.......!
Dont plan to buy a Wii so I dont care about it....!

Oh please. That's not the case at all.

People just expect this from Nintendo. They aren't pleased with it, but they aren't surprised, that's why there's no uproar.

Sony, who's consoles have been region free for an entire generation now, it is expected of them to continue this trend on to the next generation.

The expectation from companies differ, but the disappointment is the same.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You'd be a fool to expect otherwise, but still total horseshit. Fucking archaic regional controlling rubbish. Blow it open, hackers.

Kenka

All Nintendo fans: let's take a five-year break from all things Nintendo. Between a stagnant formula for Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart and the impossibility to play some games that are among the ones you will want the most, we won't be missing much anyway.

And Pikmin 3 doesn't look revolutionary either. What the muck Nintendo, seriously. Fuck off.

@Oersted: Nothing regarding region free gaming though, and they're just rumours. If they stop used games, I'll be mad too, not sure why you bring it up.

you know the rumors regarding ps4? no used games, no backward compability and so on? or they memory solution on ps vita? let us go for don´t expect too much.

people are taking this thread and running with it, they were not going to buy a Wii U but they come in to remind us they now have another reason why they are not going to by a "Wii" and yes do notice how the U gets dropped off lately it's a nice touch :3

I <3 GAF :)

well fuck

it's not surprising

now i just pray hard so that Wii U didn't have significance number of exclusive third party Japanese game especially JRPG.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All Nintendo fans: let's take a five-year break from all things Nintendo. Between a stagnant formula for Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart and the impossibility to play some games that are among the ones you will want the most, we won't be missing much anyway.

I'd be missing out on the next Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart. Why would I do that?

Kenka

I'd be missing out on the next Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart. Why would I do that?
Would you have regretted missing on Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Twilight Princess? I am sure you can live without. I am not being sarcastic.

Man

Nintendo Network... good...
720p HD graphics... step in the right direction, still weaksauce for 2012.
No media support... lol
Region locked... Nintendo being Nintendo.

Damn archaic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

people are taking this thread and running with it, they were not going to buy a Wii U but they come in to remind us they now have another reason why they are not going to by a "Wii" and yes do notice how the U gets dropped off lately it's a nice touch :3

I <3 GAF :)

Its okay dudes, you dont have to defend shitty decisions as well, your stock wont be null and voided if you're seen as angry here with the rest of us.

As I said on the other page, NoA and NoE war of the competence is one thing, but heaven forbid third parties ever jumped on this thing full force and you start seeing multiple Persona 4: Arena situations.

And Pikmin 3 doesn't look revolutionary either. What the muck Nintendo, seriously. Fuck off.

all Nintendo fans should do this! Lucky me I am not a Nintendo fan, I'm just poor and like Zelda and Pikachu

Tu101uk

Definitely not surprising - Nintendo just don't leave their home consoles region-free. Heck, only Sony have their current consoles region-free (and their first two home consoles were not)...

While I absolutely abhor region-locking with a passion (was screwed over too many times in the previous generation as well as the current one), I understand that regional publishers have to make monies too, and people being able to import perfectly fine versions from America just isn't good business for them...

...of course, people wouldn't have to import if simultaneous worldwide releases (or near enough) were common practice. Alas, only the big publishers are regularly capable of this at the moment. I just wish small to medium sized publishers would step up and plan their localisations way ahead of time...

...that is, of course, if the EU get localisations at all. Thankfully, NoE have done a smashing job in bringing over titles at a prompt rate this generation, so I hope this continues into the next one.

O-O~

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Would you have regretted missing on Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Twilight Princess? I am sure you can live without. I am not being sarcastic.

Yes because on the GameCube that would mean having to wait another six months for a game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ugh, as expected. I don't think homebrew will be as easy this time. And with a bigger online infrastructure, you're bound to lose some functionality if you want to use homebrew.
Oh well, I guess the games I usually have to import will be on a handheld or Sony console anyway. Now Sony, don't lock the PS4!

Its okay dudes, you dont have to defend shitty decisions as well, your stock wont be null and voided if you're seen as angry here with the rest of us.

As I said on the other page, NoA and NoE war of the competence is one thing, but heaven forbid third parties ever jumped on this thing full force and you start seeing multiple Persona 4: Arena situations.

defending is bullshit, why react to this shit when we knew this in 2011?
there is no one here who owns Nintendo platforms who believed one little bit that Nintendo would have this thing Region Free - If the Wii U was $499 and had a monster GPU, a retina vision GamePad and came with GTA V at launch EXCLUSIVE. This would still be the last thing expected to see Nintendo change in what we all expect from it. So who needs to defend this?

JoeInky

Maybe not those three, but missing out smash bros. melee would have been a massive regret.

Also Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Pikmin 1 & 2, Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX, Rogue Squadron 2.

These were all games that fully justified my gamecube purchase for me, it would be shit for me to miss out on those games.

Eusis

who is this guy with the Xenoblade avatar?

I don't care about the region lock I was not going to play Xenoblade in Japanese if I had a choice
Neither were most of us in NA.

That knife DOES cut both ways naturally, but it's not even about getting games in Japanese (though it is nice to have that option open) so much as not missing out on English titles from UK/NA as relevant. Nevermind that some games ARE in English anyway even from Japan, but those were usually older shooters where you basically just need to know a few English words for anyway.

May16

This seems topical.

banner-interesting-money-mix.jpg

Oersted

you can live without every game. thats a f***ing pointless argumentation. if you want mario, zelda, bayonetta, rayman, metroid, animal crossing, pokemon, pikmin, that 3 jrpgs and so on you should go for wiiu.

if you want uncharted, gt, god of war you go for sony and if you want halo and fable you go for ms.

if you can live without every game mentioned above you can do what many can.

Completely and utterly unsurprising considering that Nintendo even region locked a handheld, although that doesn't make it any less pathetic and archaic. It's no problem though, I simply won't buy a Wii U until hackers remove the region lock.

redcrayon

Probably because smaller developers ask for it as it increases the chances of licensing games for overseas sales should they choose to do so, and helps them log interest of exactly which territories buy which of their games, rather than the most enthusiastic fans importing it, and then absolutely zero buzz around the game when it releases in that region 2 years later as everyone has already heard the opinions of the importers rather than the official press releases/press reviews.

The tiny minority of importers don't really buy enough copies for those sales alone to make much of an impact, but they do stop the owner having complete control over the localised distribution and marketing strategy, and possibly being able to make accurate predictions for print run numbers, that kind of thing. These days having that information at your fingertips is essential for small businesses looking to work with other companies.

I don't agree with it (have imported at least 40 DS/PSP games), and it's frustrating when you're a fan of niche stuff (I'm an EU Etrian Odyssey fan :( ) but I do understand it.

Durante

Yeah, not surprising. Nintendo, for all their talk about innovation, is a terribly regressive company in many ways (see also: their treatment of online).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Both the Wii and GCN have libraries I would 'miss' from my gaming hobby. Nintendo systems are a pillar of my roster of interactive entertainment, and like a fool, I'll keep going back for more no matter the abuse Nintendo hurls my way.

PAL Nintendo has done pretty well of late. So, um, touch wood.

it won't be hacked, I'd be fine with that but if the 3DS is any indication I am not holding my hopes on that

Yeah :(.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
DId you really just link me to an article where someone described themselves as an interesting person while wearing a backwards baseball cap while squinting?

luca1980

Banned
Fuck you Nintendo. I am from Europe!!
Wii, 3ds and this. Fuck you!! You never learn!!

Someone please debunk the 3ds so that I can play smt 4 for us not having to wait for Nintendo or someone else

the problem is not that Wii U will be region locked, home consoles have always been region locked except this generation

the problem is 3DS is locked, the only handheld in 20 years to have this stupid feature

I don't see this a a backwards thinking from a business standpoint, it may suck for hardcore fans like us but it is good business. I can see PS4 going back to region-lock did they not have some software getting locked recently?

this is not new

Such a strange situation we're in with console region locks:

PS3 - All games region free, DLC mostly all region locked.
X360 - Games left up to the publisher to decide, DLC mostly all region free.
WiiU - All games region locked, DLC unknown.

Durante

the problem is not that Wii U will be region locked, home consoles have always been region locked except this generation

the problem is 3DS is locked, the only handheld in 20 years to have this stupid feature
Both are problems, it's just that the latter is a worse issue. One is just lack of progress, the other one is a mind-numbingly regressive step.

Mr_Moogle

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I wont be buying a Wii-U because the Wii was, lets face it.... garbage. Region lock or no, they aren't getting anymore of my money.

Kyoufu

Hopefully MS and Sony's next consoles are region free to maybe send a message to Nintendo that they need to get with the times. :(

Top Bottom