• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's what makes Ryan a shit Bombcast/TNT host too.

Jeff makes the Bombcast/TNT better and would have handled the NK thing better too, I bet.

Cut this shit out, Ryan is a fantastic host and has been for years. He was just a little overly enthusiastic for the first 20 minutes before the images started rolling.

I long for the day where we can just discuss content like this without eventually resorting to nitpicking at the staff members.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm not sure if I'm just a massive fanboy for not really finding issues some of you guys have, other than patrick being incredibly overbearing half the time.

Ryan was fine in the NK video. He moved the discussion along well, and his role as the excited host asking questions wasn't that overbearing. Don't get the cursing complaint either, considering how the bomb crew generally are. Other than brad really.

I agree with your sentiment, Jeff is king. But for hosting duties I prefer Ryan's genuine excitement over Jeff's general indifference.

This. Ryan is a better host, by far. It allows Jeff to be jeff, and the shows are normally slicker with Ryan involved.

Also, i see no-one has any problem with Vinny constantly interrupting as well in the first 20 or so minutes. After that his one liners and questions were good, but he was almost trying to hard. But i put that down to general sleep deprivation from the newborn

This. Ryan is a better host, by far. It allows Jeff to be jeff, and the shows are normally slicker with Ryan involved.

Also, i see no-one has any problem with Vinny constantly interrupting as well in the first 20 or so minutes. After that his one liners and questions were good, but he was almost trying to hard. But i put that down to general sleep deprivation from the newborn

All that needs to be said.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hahaha, so we're back to this phase of the thread huh?

I'm trying to decide if I want to re-up for a year or just pay $5 after Monday.

edit: Okay while it's probably been said since the last time this has come around. No one has a problem with Vinny because he isn't a dick. Because Ryan's forte is being a dick, when he acts like an ass without any redemptive qualities (humor), he gets called out on it. Simple.

sixghost

I don't know if I would have been able to handle 6 days in that country. Even removed from the potential danger, I just get the feeling that having the wool consistently pulled over your eyes for that long would drive me crazy.

The part that stuck out the most was the Korean War history lesson they received from the female officer. That women's job is to blatantly lie to people's face, whether she knows it or not. It's the real life equivalent of the jokes people make about Southern Civil War revisionist history. I'm honestly not sure which would be the more depressing reality, whether that women knew what she was saying was a farce and is forced to give this ridiculous presentation to a room full of foreigners that know 90% of what she's saying is false, or if she is completely ignorant, and believes her country had basically won the war, but decided to take their ball and go home.

Patryn

I don't know if I would have been able to handle 6 days in that country. Even removed from the potential danger, I just get the feeling that having the wool consistently pulled over your eyes for that long would drive me crazy.

The part that stuck out the most was the Korean War history lesson they received from the female officer. That women's job is to blatantly lie to people's face, whether she knows it or not. It's the real life equivalent of the jokes people make about Southern Civil War revisionist history. I'm honestly not sure which would be the more depressing reality, whether that women knew what she was saying was a farce and is forced to give this ridiculous presentation to a room full of foreigners that know 90% of what she's saying is false, or if she is completely ignorant, and believes her country had basically won the war, but decided to take their ball and go home.

I guarantee it's the second. I'm sure she honestly believes the US was the aggressor, and that the DPRK won the war. I'm kind of curious if she even knows that the Chinese intervened, and that if they hadn't, the DPRK would have fallen.

megalowho

Everyone needs to watch this. It should be in schoool, it's probably already in some. That chick, or her sister or something, later got arrested and was held in NK for a long ass time... I think it was Bill Clinton who negotiated for her to come home...
this is off the top of my head, I could be totally wrong.

Anyway they showed that to us during military training.

Yup, that's right - both her sister and another journalist were sentenced to serve in a labor camp for entering without a Visa. Underrated story.

Ryan is the worst host because he got rid of the Nintendo Downloads segment in the bombcast. SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!

I'm just kidding, I like Ryan. Except for the Nintendo Downloads thing. I will never forgive him for that one...

ratzombie

Neo Member
Shitting on Ryan? I like the direction this thread is going.

iUmJfAdSC4HHj.gif

Kazzy

Ryan is the worst host because he got rid of the Nintendo Downloads segment in the bombcast.

That was the general consensus to be fair, the whole Nintendo section had got really long in the tooth by that point. Although the time Jeff read the description of the massage parlor game in his 'sexy' voice was easily one of the funniest things I've heard on the podcast.

FOUND IT!

Best running joke of the cast, imo.

Also, goddamnit Giantbomb, fix your compression/encoding.

With The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition Quick Look, the compression on the video was so terrible it seemed like the video was uploaded in SD and stretched to HD. It's bad. It needs fixing.

That was the general consensus to be fair, the whole Nintendo section had got really long in the tooth by that point. Although the time Jeff read the description of the massage parlor game in his 'sexy' voice was easily one of the funniest things I've heard on the podcast.

FOUND IT!
Well of course there were some weeks that weren't great but Ryan really threw the baby out with the bathwater as there were so many good bits (Saucepan Man, My Notebook, Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy etc). They could have just been more selective in Jeff read out loud.

It was only once a week, come on!

FStop7

Banned
Drew's vacation segment was amazing.

The part about the soldiers at the memorial really got to me. If the people from both sides would just sit around and interact in a regular way, all of this animosity would disappear.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's almost as interesting as if the curtain was completely lifted, in my opinion. Seeing such a carefully constructed version of a country, specifically one that westerners are meant to be able to relate to, seems like it would be just as telling as the cracks and minor missteps that foreigners aren't supposed to see. Nonstop waving and mushroom shaped potatoes are funny in of itself, but they also speak volumes about what they think we value and the extremely limited resources available to meet that vision. So many contradictions, it would be even more fascinating if the DPRK wasn't such a human rights nightmare underneath the facade.

Edit: This look inside North Korea from National Geographic really struck a chord for me. They follow a doctor on a goodwill mission who heals an incredible number of patients from cataracts, and in the end when the bandages come off they all run up to thank a picture of Kim Jong Il for helping them, each more forcefully than the next. It's like they're trying to convince themselves as much as the cameras and party officials. Chilling stuff.

Hrm, I'll be sure to check this out.

Oh wow, Lisa Ling doing the report too. That's eerie.

Derp, the alternate video I found is also blocked in Canada. Go figure.

Jintor

There was a bit where Drew explained about how long a line was to see the flower exhibit and Ryan said the same thing back at him to confirm he understood it, only taking about three times as long and being extremely grating at the same time. He'd be a better host if he just shut up once in a while and stopped repeating back things.

Just finished watching the N.Korea video in its entirety, and WOW.

I feel like I freaking went on vacation there now, haha. Drew, fantastic work on both documenting and communicating your experience over there. You've really given me a completely new perspective on a ton of things about the culture, people, and practices of that country.

obonicus

Well of course there were some weeks that weren't great but Ryan really threw the baby out with the bathwater as there were so many good bits (Saucepan Man, My Notebook, Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy etc). They could have just been more selective in Jeff read out loud.

Wasn't the issue that Nintendo changed the way copy for those games was written and that now they're basically just as boring as any other games release listing?

Calcaneus

Wasn't the issue that Nintendo changed the way copy for those games was written and that now they're basically just as boring as any other games release listing?
Yup, and also, people were whining about it every week. Saying it wasn't funny anymore, took too much time, etc.

AcridMeat

Banned
Is that the reason why they stopped doing taste tests as well? I understand not doing it every show but the more obscure tests brought some great moments.

Is that the reason why they stopped doing taste tests as well? I understand not doing it every show but the more obscure tests brought some great moments.

They stopped doing taste tests because they ran out of stuff to say about them. You can only say "it tastes kind of like Sprite mixed with vitamins" so many times before it becomes repetitive.

Orgun

Listening to the 2009 'This year collection' episode and I totally forgot about the Swedish guys brining sweets. Do you guys in the states not get Daim (Dime) bars!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom