• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

jett

D-Member
Well I just did the intro mission, works aight on my PC. I had noticeable framedrops during the boss fights, other than that it was 60fps during gameplay. And the cut-scenes seem to be fine, although a couple seemed to run lower than 30fps. What a dumb decision btw. It's so jarring to go from 60 to 30fps on a dime.

FAR is extremely impressive gotta say. They even improve Steam achievements! I didn't expect that lol.

jett

D-Member
Whatthefuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck @ this horrific stuttering in the overworld. This is garbage. The framerate is only dropping to the 50's but I'm suffering some of the worst stuttering I've ever seen.

This is awful. This isn't recommendable.

Also, this game looked ugly in screenshots and trailers, but in person it's much fucking uglier.

LegendX48

anyone with an RX 480/70 try the game with the new drivers yet? I won't be able to check if it still gets that white screen crash till sometime tomorrow.

jett

D-Member
After putting a very decent amount of time into the game I'm ready to declare the performance of this game to be honestly awful on my PC (280X, 4670K, 8GB). During fights with a lot of enemies, on some boss fights it easily drops to 30fps. With the way it looks it just isn't justifiable, and it's almost always stuttering too. A lot of cut-scenes seemed to run at 20fps or something, even with the supposed fix enabled.

Crap engine or crap port, I don't care, it's just crap technically.

v0rtikal

still waiting for an official patch before pulling the trigger on this one...why is it taking so long? well, if it never gets fixed, I think I'll have to get it on PS4.

Moaradin

still waiting for an official patch before pulling the trigger on this one...why is it taking so long? well, if it never gets fixed, I think I'll have to get it on PS4.

Even with the problems, the PC version is a lot better. Even more with the fan fixes.

jett

D-Member

Even with the problems, the PC version is a lot better. Even more with the fan fixes.

I don't know what kind of PC v0rtikal has but based on what I've seen on Digital Foundry I think it runs better on a PS4 Pro than on my 4670K/280X.

jacobeid

Banned
I just updated FAR and now whenever I launch the game I get a separate terminal that says "-1 set texture" and I'm no longer able to play windowless fullscreen, even with borderless gaming.

Am I missing something?

So... I lost a 47 hour save file from a bug that involves 2 people playing on the same PC under different accounts (at least that seems to be the problem). My save file is still in the game folder but the game doesn't register the file as being there. Does anyone know if there's a fix or work around so I can use my save file?

pa22word

So... I lost a 47 hour save file from a bug that involves 2 people playing on the same PC under different accounts (at least that seems to be the problem). My save file is still in the game folder but the game doesn't register the file as being there. Does anyone know if there's a fix or work around so I can use my save file?

Yeah! There's a tool someone wrote over on the steam forums that will reauthor any save to your account. Very nifty when I had a similar issue a while back.

I reupped it for you here. Just follow the readme's instructions and it should work out no probs.

pa22word

Thank you so much for this!

Np man! No idea why they did things so weird with the saves in this game. I guess it's because of the ending, but still just weird.

Can this game be done at 4k 60 on a 1070 or are we looking another must have 1080ti situation.

Absolutely not happening on a 1070 at stock GI. My 980ti (which is similar to a 1070) @ 1.5Ghz paired with a 7700k gets crushed at 4K in this game, running at around 20-25 FPS.

tuxfool

Banned
Can this game be done at 4k 60 on a 1070 or are we looking another must have 1080ti situation.

On a 1080 I could get close to, but definitely not locked 60 fps at 4K with the GI setting at low (in the most demanding scenes). So in answer to your question, yeah, probably.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what can i expect with an 6700K/16GB/1070? I'd like to play at 1440p 60fps but if it means dropping to 1080p for solid 60fps then I'll do that.

pa22word

what can i expect with an 6700K/16GB/1070? I'd like to play at 1440p 60fps but if it means dropping to 1080p for solid 60fps then I'll do that.

I have a sorta similar rig (7700k, 980ti, 16GB) and 1440p60 is easily there for me locked if I set GI to high via FAR.

I have a 6500/16GB/1070 and with FAR and GI set to medium, I get a very smooth 1440p60. Never tried setting it to high. All other settings except MSAA are high.

Can any one say if something affects the light shaft resolution? There are bits in the game that looked totally fine that now look like low res garbage?

TLCO

Neo Member
Have any of you tried to make a texture mod? I looked all over for 2B's textures using the CPK unpacker but had no luck, and the dumped textures using FAR seem like a nightmare to go through.

I found some 4k 2B textures I want to load into my game though, it's a shame it's not a simple task.

So I started having issues last week....

Everything was working fine with FAR. Now, no matter what branch I migrate too, the game launches and there's just a white window for the exe. Can't get any further.

I have to completely uninstall FAR to get the game to actually launch again

Any ideas?

jett

D-Member
I made some improvements to the game's performance, I blame FAR's dubious descriptions of increased bloom and AO resolution having a negligible impact on framerate. :p Setting those two things back to their default setting gave me a noticeable improvement. That gave me a much more palatable performance, at the expense of a bit of graphical image quality. Which I'm fine with. It still drops at points with a lot of enemies and special effects but it runs a lot better in the open world.

I'm not sure how much of a difference made setting global illumination to low instead of medium and shadows set to medium instead of high, but the graphical difference is barely noticeable so you might as well.

So I started having issues last week....

Everything was working fine with FAR. Now, no matter what branch I migrate too, the game launches and there's just a white window for the exe. Can't get any further.

I have to completely uninstall FAR to get the game to actually launch again

Any ideas?

Use an earlier version of FAR? I didn't update to the latest version and things are fine.

Use an earlier version of FAR? I didn't update to the latest version and things are fine.

I'm so dumb.

I virtually never restart my comp. when windows updates hit last week, my comp restarted and RTSS booted when windows launched.

Lesson learned. Thanks tho.

LegendX48

I completely give up with this game. If it's not white screen crashes its the constant loop of "ERROR: Graphic::Startup () FAILED No Graphic Memory" now. Fuck this game, requesting a refund (which will likely just be denied anyway).

edit: system specs (if it even matters)

i7 3770k @4.2ghz
16gb DDR3 ram
RX 480 8gb @1350/2000

it's certainly not inherent to the hardware, I run an rx470 and a friend runs the rx480 and once we rolled back the drivers it was smooth sailing. Just low priority for AMD to figure out the regression I guess :/

Whats the best AA option for this game for Nvidia users? I see people using inspector to overide the in-game AA using MSAA x 2, but the game also uses MSAA - whats wrong with the in-game AA? I did see mention in one article about enabling HBAO, but without a flag?

ezodagrom

game also uses MSAA - whats wrong with the in-game AA?
EDIT: Was saying that in-game AA was broken but for some reason I thought this was the Bayonetta topic. <-<;

In-game MSAA is costly performance wise and doesn't look good in certain objects due to lighting or something, not sure.
There's a decent post-process AA tied to the ambient occlusion option.

I've bought the game 2 days ago and I far as I can tell I really enjoy the game, soundtrack is amazing and the story is also seems good so far. Before buying I have regrets about the optimization issues of the game , but I've decided to buy after watching the Digital Foundry performance analysis. After starting the game I did not encounter any issues. Game started to run at full screen without any issues.
nierautomata04.20.20124uuh.png

nierautomata04.20.2012duxv.png

These are the settings I'm runnig the game. I still haven't decided about increasing the resolution and turning off the AA.
I have a i7 6800K running @4.00GHz and a 1080. I was expecting a better performance actually but PC still manage to obtain a solid 60 FPS. (Except the prerendered scenes. They are all over the place)
nierautomata04.20.201kpunv.png

nierautomata04.20.20147uut.png

I hope they can fix the issues with a new update.

Ok guys 4K 60 1080ti possible or not?

It's unfortunately not at all possible unless you disable global illumination, which tends to break a few things. I've settled at 1800p (AA off, GI on High) because going any higher meant dropping under 60fps during some of the more graphically intensive battles. That's on a 1080ti overclocked to 2,038Mhz.

Gbraga

I've bought the game 2 days ago and I far as I can tell I really enjoy the game, soundtrack is amazing and the story is also seems good so far. Before buying I have regrets about the optimization issues of the game , but I've decided to buy after watching the Digital Foundry performance analysis. After starting the game I did not encounter any issues. Game started to run at full screen without any issues.

These are the settings I'm runnig the game. I still haven't decided about increasing the resolution and turning off the AA.
I have a i7 6800K running @4.00GHz and a 1080. I was expecting a better performance actually but PC still manage to obtain a solid 60 FPS. (Except the prerendered scenes. They are all over the place)

I hope they can fix the issues with a new update.

Try FAR, it'll let you make the game look even better by improving AO and Bloom resolution, and it'll also fix the prerendered cutscene stuttering.

Also, try disabling AA, it breaks the asset streaming and makes pop-win worse. I personally don't think it's worth it at all. The game's AO option already includes TAA, and it's a very nice solution.

It's unfortunately not at all possible unless you disable global illumination, which tends to break a few things. I've settled at 1800p (AA off, GI on High) because going any higher meant dropping under 60fps during some of the more graphically intensive battles. That's on a 1080ti overclocked to 2,038Mhz.

Ok cheers, deciding whether to ditch the ps4 version, and go for this...

PS4 is 900p and PS4 Pro is 1080p, so you're gonna be getting a better experience with a 1080 Ti in any case.

Yeah, I'm currently playing it on the pro, but getting the most out of an £800 graphics card has to be preferable.

Could someone tell me where to put or how to use FAR? Just so I can don't have to trawl! Cheers

Arkanius

A 1080 Ti gets you locked 60 fps
If I framerate unlock I get aprox 100-110 fps at 1440p. Everything maxed and no optimization to the global illumination.

The game shouldn't require that much, but yeah, that GI is expensive.

Top Bottom