• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Every time I randomly pop my head into one of these UK sales charts they numbers are exactly the beacon of video game heaven in terms of sales.

Numbers are down heavily in most countries, the UK just gets bashed for it as we were getting (even if half of it is through detective work) more numbers than for many other countries

Dusky

I don't see how the poor Playstation sales argument makes sense.
They get like at least 40% of sales on most multiplatform sales, so at least 40% of the market has a PS3.

Ultimately it's down to the game itself.

I'm sure the reviews didn't help either. Those who were on the fence in purchasing the game probably backed out due to the above average reviews it got.

Assuming you meant LittleBigPlanet, that first game did over 4.5 million worldwide. Even if this game didn't bomb in the UK it's never touching that.
Yep, I meant LittleBigPlanet.
5 Mio by now? Great! I have still the "over 2 Mio." number in my head, months, after the release.
But yes, I'm sure it will get to the "over "2 Mio." goal.

Withnail

Not surprised it bombed at all. There's no sizeable market for it and that was obvious from the beginning.

I must say I'm generally a fan of Yoshida but the first party Q4 lineup for PS3 is just bad, and it falls at his feet. MS receives plenty of criticism for their first party output but at least you know they will have some big hitters out in time for the holiday sales.

The thing is, most games don't get TV adverts. It's not really normal to put a game like that on TV. I don't think I've ever seen a SSB TV ad, yet it still did 10 million units at the last attempt.

I honestly think that some of you guys just never watch TV. It's impossible to watch certain programs (particularly sports) without being bombarded with videogame advertisements.

Tobor

Not surprised it bombed at all. There's no sizeable market for it and that was obvious from the beginning.

I must say I'm generally a fan of Yoshida but the first party Q4 lineup for PS3 is just bad, and it falls at his feet. MS receives plenty of criticism for their first party output but at least you know they will have some big hitters out in time for the holiday sales.

Last of Us would have improved the lineup, but it's not ready. Other than that, it's obvious they're punting and getting ready for the launch next Fall. I think that's a wise strategy at this point.

Dusky

The thing is, most games don't get TV adverts. It's not really normal to put a game like that on TV. I don't think I've ever seen a SSB TV ad, yet it still did 10 million units at the last attempt.

Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 have been pretty much everywhere on TV.

I don't see what's so great or iconic about the Hellgast design, as its completely inspired by / stolen from Jin-Roh, a 1999 anime.

I think it's more the Helghast as a whole, not just their design. Although I do like the design a lot.

Gadirok

Been playing this non-stop since last tuesday. I didn't even expect this to be that good, since the beta was just alright.

Its pretty fun, and honestly if it didn't do well, people didn't know about it.

I don't know why some of you guys are surprised considering how Sony botched Twisted Metal's and Starhawk's release with no marketting whatsoever, then cancelled the contracts with the devs.

If anything, marketing is a real issue with them.

But what annoys me the most is seeing all these stupid wonderbook commercials on every channel. Its like they finally took notice that they haven't been advertising but now wonderbook commercials are even on random channels. No, screw that and screw you sony.

Sony,you've botched the launches of way too many games in 2011 and 2012. You should have gotten a hint when Resistance 3 sales were terrible in comparison to 1 & 2, despite being a great game.

Oh, and I managed to see "ONE" advertisement for All-stars battle royale on spike in between the star wars marathon. It was a signficantly cut up version of the "All-stars trailer with real characters". It was so short and random that it didn't even make sense. All you see is it go straight to the action scenes, to what nobody would have understood what was going on. No gameplay either considering the advert was so short. Even that part where the gamer talks to kratos was cut up and reduced to a few words. Then they just show the cover of the game and say "praystation", *cue Sony logo* "Ting".

I should note though, I never saw that advert again and each channel continued the onslaught of wonder book.

Terrible, TERRIBLE MARKETING. GET A CLUE.

None of these games, will survive like this, and the only way I have been learning of anything playstation is via the playstation blog. If anything, they should make the guys behind the PS blog behind the entire marketing team because they actually know how to talk to fans and have advertising that works.

Bumhead

Banned
What sort of numbers are we looking at for a chart placing of 38th? That's got to be just a couple of thousand units, right?

Can't say I'm surprised the game did badly though. I mean we're just out from call of Duty and Halo et al launching. There's new Nintendo hardware out next week. A lot of people have been focusing on deals and stuff like Black Friday. Hitman has just released and is generally already at cheaper prices to steal the new release thunder. I'd say all that, combined with the fact it's a pretty mediocre proposition anyway and not had the greatest marketing, make this a pretty predictable bomb.

Been playing this non-stop since last tuesday. I didn't even expect this to be that good, since the beta was just alright.

Its pretty fun, and honestly if it didn't do well, people didn't know about it.

I don't know why some of you guys are surprised considering how Sony botched Twisted Metal's and Starhawk's release with no marketting whatsoever, then cancelled the contracts with the devs.
Well, Starhawk sucked :/
And they haven't really canceled the contracts.
They expired (ESP).

And yes, the game is great fun :)

herod

I honestly think that some of you guys just never watch TV. It's impossible to watch certain programs (particularly sports) without being bombarded with videogame advertisements.

I've actually seen a PSABR advert, which was my point.

To say that TV advertising is a key thing is incorrect. The audience for this sees ads on official blogs, enthusiast websites, shop websites, magazines, console storefronts, in-stores, mailshots from marketers. TV advertising is generally used for only really huge titles, at least here in the UK. It's a way of reaching the most casual of casuals.

There are people posting in this very thread who "didn't even know it was out lol". That's not a failure of marketing, it's a failure of interest.

2 weeks in the top 30 is not enough to call it a hit by any stretch of the imagination

It rose 5 places, even with 3 new releases in front of it. That doesn't often happen without a price drop. It's early days, but it seems to have some word of mouth going. Should do well in the long run.

Dusky

I've actually seen a PSABR advert, which was my point.

To say that TV advertising is a key thing is incorrect. The audience for this sees ads on official blogs, enthusiast websites, shop websites, magazines, console storefronts, in-stores, mailshots from marketers. TV advertising is generally used for only really huge titles, at least here in the UK.

Well PSABR was supposed to be Sony's biggest game of the year.

Claymores

Banned
What sort of numbers are we looking at for a chart placing of 38th? That's got to be just a couple of thousand units, right?

Can't say I'm surprised the game did badly though. I mean we're just out from call of Duty and Halo et al launching. There's new Nintendo hardware out next week. A lot of people have been focusing on deals and stuff like Black Friday. Hitman has just released and is generally already at cheaper prices to steal the new release thunder. I'd say all that, combined with the fact it's a pretty mediocre proposition anyway and not had the greatest marketing, make this a pretty predictable bomb.

Probably looking at 2-3k sales at best.

Doubt Black Friday had much to do with it.

Bumhead

Banned
Is there anything like Black Friday in the UK? Do people in the UK import BF and Cyber Monday deals?

Black Friday is nowhere near as huge here as it is in the US, but the likes of Amazon and several other online retailers do their bit with week long deals etc.

This time of year also seems to be hot territory for bargains. The UK games market has been enjoying quick fast BOMBA pricing for a while. Once the major £40 day one releases have been and gone, the market seems to kind of transition to a "paying no more than £17.99" atmosphere, almost like a race to the bottom to hammer those bargains out between late November and Christmas; not just for Black Friday or any other specific day.

I dunno. Hitman has done OK I guess and I expect Far Cry 3 will do reasonably decent based on reviews, but I don't expect any game launching in the last week or so of November to do gangbusters. PSASBR to me seems to be launching the complete wrong side of the crazy few weeks where all the other major releases do.

Dusky

Another aspect that could have hindered it's sales is simply launching in the month of November, against the likes of BLOPS 2, Halo 4, etc. It definitely doesn't help that's for sure. Shame it got delayed slightly.

So does the game deserve these kind of numbers? Is it bad? I mean if its actually good and fun to play I could see having a really long tail like SSB does.

Some of the characters you guys are claiming are relics from the distant past. Would they really have made a difference?

Cloud?
Crash Bandicoot?
Spyro?

Sony's marquee characters are from games that were popular 15 years ago?

SkylineRKR

MS never delivers many first party games anymore. Sony used to do great there, with Killzone 2, UC2... those were quality games. But when MS strikes, it usually delivers. People can bitch on Halo 4, GoW3 , Forza Horizon what they want... but I think those are great games I wouldn't hesitate to buy on my Ps3. Much higher quality than Starhawk, LBP Kart, TM, Killzone 3...

Another aspect that could have hindered it's sales is simply launching in the month of November, against the likes of BLOPS 2, Halo 4, etc. It definitely doesn't help that's for sure. Shame it got delayed slightly.

How do console exclusive flagship games influence sales against each other?

It rose 5 places, even with 3 new releases in front of it. That doesn't often happen without a price drop. It's early days, but it seems to have some word of mouth going. Should do well in the long run.

Its still just its 2nd week and its being advertised like crazy (far more than all stars)

Satchel

Banned
I didn't expect it to do fantastically, but that's worse than I'd expected. A good bit worse.

Really? Far better than I expected.

A shittier version of smash bros releasing at the end of the third placed consoles life cycle, attempting to cater to an audience that was never interested.

38th is a good effort.

Gadirok

Well, Starhawk sucked :/
And they haven't really canceled the contracts.
They expired (ESP).

And yes, the game is great fun :)

Did you even play it? Sorry its not warhawk 2.0, but if some people even bothered to give the game a day then maybe they could have seen how great it is.

I get some people don't dig the build and battle system, and its not that special in my eyes either but its unique, and the game is fun. That's all that matters to me.

Its a solid 8/10 at the very least, and I had a lot of fun with it. With clean servers and massive environments on a large scale to run around and play, its amazing.

No offense but just saying a game "sucks" seems really ignorant.

And they did cancel LBI's contract. I have no evidence but if it wasn't as clear enough with Dylan's drinking and the massive layoffs and the switch to iOS I don't know what is.

Holiday Bomba in the UK?

Exactly what holiday was celebrated here in the UK over the weekend?

I went to work on Thursday and didn't even think about it being Thanksgiving until I got home and saw Ashley on I'm a Celeb waving her little American flag in her Bikini, at which point i said "God Bless America".

Top Bottom