• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

pakkit

Banned
Restarting in anticipation of the third:

Questions on PC...

Are there any mods that are well loved or considered necessary for a play through?

Is Witcher 2 better balanced for keyboard/mouse or gamepad? I played it originally on the 360 so I just started again with those controls, but I might switch over if the gameplay functions better with WASD.

Renae

Hello, i want to play this game on PC. It will be my first run and I wondered if the mod "full combat rebalance" was essential ? Or if it's better to go without it for the first run ?

Sorry for my english.

Sajjaja

Hello, i want to play this game on PC. It will be my first run and I wondered if the mod "full combat rebalance" was essential ? Or if it's better to go without it for the first run ?

Sorry for my english.

Use the combat mod, it's way better than default imo.

Exentryk

I am also playing through the game. The mods I'm using are:

Zero Weight - Makes everything weigh 0.
ComfyCouch - Increase font size for HDTV play.

I was thinking about using the combat mod, but I've read from a lot of people that it changes a bunch of things and it can also cause some issues. So not using that one.

The game isn't really optimized to be played with a controller though. The map is a mess (both accessing the full map, and the rotating minimap with no North marker). The inventory navigation is tedious, and when you're trading, there are no numbers showing how much you have of the item you are thinking of buying. Some of this stuff is like basic stuff in the JRPGs I play, so I am guessing it's a case of CDPR being a PC developer? Hopefully Witcher 3 is better.

HI Guys,

I recently decided to start playing the witcher series. I was going to go from the first to second and then third, but after the first games tutorial I skipped to the second. The combat felt so clunky and unresponsive, plus it looked pretty dated graphically. I've just started the second game and that opening cutscene is pretty kickass, but the game feeling really laggy. I'm getting a ton of frame rate drop. Is this normal? Do I need a mod or patch?

I'm forcing it to use my nvidia gpu, but that's not helping.

malfcn

Are you in Flotsam, yet?

I can't quite describe how I feel about this game. When I'm being productive it is really fun.
But then things slow down to a crawl and it becomes a bore. The saving feature is my biggest enemy.

Don't like having to save every 3 steps.
But if I get a chunk of things done, I'll run through the outside of Flotsam or Libinden and a nekker kills me immediately.
Normally I feel over powered in games, where I always feel clunky and under powered in this game.

Biggest gripe has got to be the broken quest tracking.
Some carry through the entire game, so while it looks incomplete in a chapter, it's because it lasts the whole game.
Or the marker for quests and their rewards aren't marked. Completed the nekker contract and had to go house by house to find who gave me the quest.

Spruchy

So I just finished this game after buying it at launch and never playing past the introduction until last month.

One thing to keep in mind for future PC gamers is that downloading the Combat Rebalance Mod now after all the patches have been released is that it makes the game ridiculously easy. Even on the hardest setting, everything in Act I and beyond hit like weak children, making the game a button mashers instead of having to worry about your HP at all. The only time I ever died was the last boss and then I realized you could use the Combat Mod's new version of Quen to block their most damaging move over and over again.

I'm also reading the books, and this is where the game shines. From the journal entries to the world itself, this is the world of Witcher and the reason to play the games. Characters are racist, conniving, and all around dicks, and as Geralt you can act accordingly.

I look forward to importing my save and seeing how things turn out in the third game. Don't envy people who had to wait 2-3 years to see how it all plays out :p

DarkFlame

Banned
Excellent game,really enjoyed this one.Only thing i didn't like was that the story was too much politic-centric and the monster hunting went to a lesser scale than first entry of the franchise.

MNC

Copying this from Performance thread:

Someone must be able to help me.

I am currently trying to play Witcher 2 on a GTX970. Framerate's fine, but I cannot get the best look for the game and have tried countless ini tricks. I hope someone knows how I can solve the following issues:

1) The sharpness looks shit as fuck. It literally hurts my eye as I cannot properly focus while it is enabled. AllowSharpness = 0 solves it, but:

2) This makes the horrid SSAO and AA visible. The SSAO flickers madly and it looks as if I'm playing a YouTube video instead of a game.

3) I cannot get a proper AA going... Don't know how to fix this.

Any other visual improvements I can run are welcome.

Also, to stay on OT: LTTP! Finished Witcher 1. I really liked it after chapter 2. Am now at flotsam.

Nohar

Currently playing Witcher 2 with the Full Combat Rebalance mod and my The Witcher 1 save (I don't really remember what were my choices beside saving Adda... Oh well, at least I begin with a cool armor and weapons). I never went very far in the game initially, I didn't play past Act 1. I remember that I hated the Prologue and that I found combat somewhat lacking. Well, I actually have more fun playing with this semi-official mod installed and Geralt is definitly more responsive. though I will need to see what dangers await ahead (also, Aard seems kinda overpowered compared to the vanilla version... not that I'm complaining). Being able to use the medal repeatidly instead of having to wait 5 whole seconds between each use is a nice plus. Any advices or things I should know about the game?

Also, I technically own The Witcher 3, but sadly it seems I need to upgrade my computer... *sigh* I will wait until august and then I'll order new parts (I need a new motherboard, CPU and GPU).

OrangeOak

Amazing game but I don't really like combat. What is even worse I just can't understand some things.
For instance why when I am blocking incoming hits my vitality don't drop even when I have no Vigor at all?
There is even skill that says "Damage reduction with full Vigor 100%" so why I don't get any damage even without vigor?
Do they name block as parry in this game or are these two different things?
I can't enjoy it without that knowledge.

ZalXII

Was there ever a patch, mod or fix for true analog movement with a controller? I'm starting my second run and i was able to adapt to it after a while on my first playthrough but i just had to ask now. With the standalone pirouette mod out there, this 8 direction movement is the last thing that (greatly) disturbs me with the game.

Top Bottom