• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Banned, but I'm sure you're still reading.

Main reason not sell your Wii is compatibility, if you're not concerned about online and VC/WiiWare titles. Dolphin is tremendous, and improving, but it's not perfect and not all titles are truly error free. A lot have audio issues, and plenty have graphical abnormalities, while some don't work at all. Best bet is to browse the Dolphin Wiki for the titles you'd be interested in emulating and see what issues emulation has.

Thanks, not selling my Wii then.
I wouldn't get a lot of money for it anyway, and I have an extensive library of GC games, and quite a few Wii games, that I like to revisit.

1stStrike

Banned
hm, I have a bluetooth dongle and a Wiimote and motion+ and am wondering of selling the classic controller and get a classic controller pro, does that work on wii games as well? and also when I play on my future wiiu, can I use classic pro controller on f.ex. MH that requires classic controller to play?

Yes, as long as they support the classic controller you can use that instead of the wiimote in Dolphin. Or, with motionjoy, you can use an xbox 360 or PS3 controller - I use a PS3 controller, myself.

masterkajo

Seeing this thread reminds me. I was playing Skyward Sword back in October on Dolphin until there were some giant graphical bugs in the temple with the time stones and the carts. I stopped playing then (mostly because somehow I don't feel this Zelda... it just got boring which is weird as I loved almost every Zelda up to this point unconditionally) but wanted to come back to it now. The solution is probably in the internets somewhere but before I start making myself off to search for it I just wanted to ask if anyone could lead me in the right direction.

The bug seems to be that half of Link (bottom half if that helps) is somehow missing. Thank you kind gaf :)

EDIT: Oh, I think I might have found something. (That was fast xD I should really use google more often before making pointless posts) Apparently I have to switch to DirectX 9 for this temple and it should work. Will try that.

Lettuce

In the absence of an F-Zero Wii ever came out, I tested the version of GC, below are images of F-Zero GX with filters on Ultra at 1080p.
fzerowii.jpg

Version of GC, below are images of F-Zero GX with filters on Ultra at 1080p.

My PC:
Cpu: 8 Núcleos, Core i7 2600k 5.047GHz l MotherBoard: Asus P8P67 REV 3.0
Gpu: GTX 460 1GB 256Bit 933Mhz GDDR5 l RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3
Fonte: SL-X1000EPS StormPower 1000w Real l Stabilizer: SMS 2000VA/2000W
HD: 3TB SATA III l Connections: USB 3.0, Bluetooth v4.0 Class 1 l Cooler: Master V10
Display: Samsung LCD 40' 1920x1080p HDMI 1.4 l OS: Windows 8 Pro x64bits

31060912.png

What options need to be set yo get F-zero to play well, i get massive sound stutter and low fps, have 4GHz i7 and HD6970

roger carvalho

Neo Member
What options need to be set yo get F-zero to play well, i get massive sound stutter and low fps, have 4GHz i7 and HD6970

Practically all audio related problem can be solved using LLE and XAudio2,
but also has other otmizaçoes and options in the emulator that can help, have to go to the hardware auditioning to find out where and how to get 100%

Voidguts

a fine gentleman from the last page was able to help someone else with this problem (and myself)

Right click on F-Zero in Dolphin > Properties and check the box for Enable Dual Core, if you haven't. I think it's set to off by default and it will override your config setting. If it's been set then your CPU just probably isn't fast enough =X

Moosichu

I managed to get Smash Bros. Brawl running at a smooth 60fps with my 2.4 GHz processor. It's really good (can't go back to Wii now :p)

Crub

I can't get past this screen in Wind Waker:

oOk.png

Whatever I press, even if I try to play without a save, this question just keeps on repeating.

Edit: Never mind, I'm stupid.

ag-my001

Trying to figure out where I'm going wrong here. I did a test with Wind Waker and things seemed fine. I then moved on to Xenoblade and SMG, but those two just give me a black screen. My thought is it has something to do with CleanRip. Right now I'm selecting 'Dual Layer' and Max chunk size: should I be using different options? The ISOs being created are 3.9 GB, which seems a little small for a dual-layer disc.

1stStrike

Banned
Trying to figure out where I'm going wrong here. I did a test with Wind Waker and things seemed fine. I then moved on to Xenoblade and SMG, but those two just give me a black screen. My thought is it has something to do with CleanRip. Right now I'm selecting 'Dual Layer' and Max chunk size: should I be using different options? The ISOs being created are 3.9 GB, which seems a little small for a dual-layer disc.

Yes, something's definitely awry there. My xenoblade ISO is 8.3 GB in size and works perfectly.

ag-my001

I've figured out part of it: when I switched to using 3 GB chunks, I got two parts for SMG that added up to 4.37 GB. However, I still have no idea how I'm supposed to combine them into one playable file. The CleanRip program seemed to hang in the middle even though the file size got better.

Moosichu

I've figured out part of it: when I switched to using 3 GB chunks, I got two parts for SMG that added up to 4.37 GB. However, I still have no idea how I'm supposed to combine them into one playable file. The CleanRip program seemed to hang in the middle even though the file size got better.

I had this problem, basically because of the way SD cards are meant to be formatted for the Wii, files bigger than 4GB can't be saved. So the 'chunks' are essentially different parts of the same game. You need to copy these to your PC and merge them back together, I used a program called HJsplit. Basically rename all your files so they have the same name (the original filename without the part number), and change the extension form '.iso' to '.001' and so on for each part. Use HJsplit to merge them, then rename the final file back to .iso and yo u should be good to go if you had all the parts and merged them correctly. Maybe this could go in the OP as I had the same problem.

ag-my001

I had this problem, basically because of the way SD cards are meant to be formatted for the Wii, files bigger than 4GB can't be saved. So the 'chunks' are essentially different parts of the same game. You need to copy these to your PC and merge them back together, I used a program called HJsplit. Basically rename all your files so they have the same name (the original filename without the part number), and change the extension form '.iso' to '.001' and so on for each part. Use HJsplit to merge them, then rename the final file back to .iso and yo u should be good to go if you had all the parts and merged them correctly. Maybe this could go in the OP as I had the same problem.

This is exactly what I needed. Changed the chunk size to 2 GB just to be safe, but now Xenoblade looks and plays great.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Bought Zelda Skyward Sword at the weekend and finally got around to ripping it and getting it on my PC.

My god. What a difference. It's a truly stunning game and makes a pleasant change from killing lots of things.

Runs really well on my quad core i5.

Psy-Phi

Asking again for new page.

Playable with some glitches. My anecdotal evidence would tell you to just pop it into your Wii and have at it properly (<3 that backwards compatibility). It looks much better, as all these emulated titles do, but there are sound issues without the right DSP (wiki explains it well). I've yet to play to the point that it crashes without the proper setting. But if you want to check it out, I suppose its worth the small headaches. It runs smooth on my 2.83GHz C2Q aside from the problems you read about on the Wiki.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone else having sound issues with Zelda Skyward Sword? What settings do I need?

1stStrike

Banned
Holy fuck. You guys that are posting images need to at least use quotes around them so they don't fuck up the thread. Either that, or just use thumbnails.

rjc571

Banned
Who gives a shit? Needs to be said. Fucks the thread up and makes it a pain in the ass to navigate.

How the hell does it make it a pain in the ass to navigate? Even if your monitor is less than 1920 pixels wide, the width of the posts which don't contain huge images remains the same, so you won't have to scroll to the right to read anything.

I don't like it when people put pictures in quotes because then I have to click on them in order to see them in their full resolution, and I can only view one of them at a time. I prefer being able to see all of them just by scrolling down, without having to do any extra work.

1stStrike

Banned
How the hell does it make it a pain in the ass to navigate? Even if your monitor is less than 1920 pixels wide, the width of the posts which don't contain huge images remains the same, so you won't have to scroll to the right to read anything.

I don't like it when people put pictures in quotes because then I have to click on them in order to see them in their full resolution, and I can only view one of them at a time. I prefer being able to see all of them just by scrolling down, without having to do any extra work.

1. When someone posts a fuck ton of images in the thread there's 6 miles of them to scroll past where there's absolutely nothing of interest except giant images cut off on the right side of the screen. Putting them in quotes alleviates this.

Or, you can not be a lazy bastard and make clickable thumbnails that take you to the full sized image. It's easy enough - just put an image link (with tags) in the comment for a URL link and voila, clickable image. Case in point:

Gee, that was hard. And look at all that space it doesn't waste in the thread - plus you aren't forced to download the larger images if you're not interested in looking at them.

2. Loading all of these huge images (especially on the same page) on a tablet/cell phone is a nightmare.

3. It's a waste of thread real-estate. Mods have imposed limits on the amount/size of images posted in threads before for a reason. Posting a fuck ton of 1920x1080 images (or larger) in a single post without doing anything to minimize their size is stupid.

Basically, don't be a dick and spam giant images in your posts.

rjc571

Banned
The main reason for Dolphin's popularity is that it produces high resolution graphics. Most people who browse this thread do so so that they can see giant screenshots. If you don't like the thread's content, then DON'T READ THE THREAD. Or try disabling images in your control panel.

spk

The main reason for Dolphin's popularity is that it produces high resolution graphics. Most people who browse this thread do so so that they can see giant screenshots. If you don't like the thread's content, then DON'T READ THE THREAD. Or try disabling images in your control panel.

No, I'd rather not load and scroll through 20 full size screenshots every time I view the page. I agree with 1stStrike. An image zoom plugin makes thumbnails easy to view too.

1stStrike

Banned

Yep, and nobody is telling you not to post screenshots. Just make them clickable thumbnails or wrap the quote tags around them. It's not difficult, it really doesn't detract from being able to view them, and it doesn't fuck up the thread.

The fact that you refuse to see reason, especially when multiple people have expressed their dislike of this practice, is ridiculous.

I subbed to this thread simply to see what games people are playing and to potentially get advice if I ever run into issues with something in Dolphin - not scrolling through a fuck ton of 1080p images that you can't even view properly because of how much they fuck up the forum template. Not to mention the fact that you have to navigate this maze of giant fucking images just to get to, you know, actual text.

guys, simple solution is 1 step away. The OP of this thread is the same OP of the High Resolution PC screnshots thread.

Just ask him to implement the same awesome "anti-spam" rules that he has over there...

here's what they are:
  • Limits: 2 screenshots per post. If you have more than 2, make more posts or use thumbnails.
  • Spamming: No more than 3 consecutive posts of the same game. Link to an album of you collection.
in fact, for some reason I assumed those rules were in play here since this thread is used for essentially the same thing.

1stStrike

Banned
guys, simple solution is 1 step away. The OP of this thread is the same OP of the High Resolution PC screnshots thread.

Just ask him to implement the same awesome "anti-spam" rules that he has over there...

here's what they are:
  • Limits: 2 screenshots per post. If you have more than 2, make more posts or use thumbnails.
  • Spamming: No more than 3 consecutive posts of the same game. Link to an album of you collection.
in fact, for some reason I assumed those rules were in play here since this thread is used for essentially the same thing.

Sounds good to me. We all love seeing games in HD, but there's a reason limits like the above are in place.

Had an issue a few nights ago with Project Zero 2. In chapter 8 and was in the Osaka house when suddenly the game started running at around 40 FPS which messed up the sound and gameplay mechanics. First time in the game that happened and upon exiting out and reloading a hard save it was gone and the house was back to normal. Anyone know what might have caused this? Vsync did nothing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Hey duder, a little excessive. Were all those shots really worth sharing? Why not just cherry pick 1 or 2 that you really like, and then if we want more we can ask for a link to the album.

Also, are they blurry due to some dolphin rendering thing or are you just using FXAA or something of the sort?

Fuck off dude. That's why YOU browse this thread.

Don't speak for everyone, especially when clearly that's not the main reason people coming to this thread, since based on posts you're in the minority.

I'm pretty sure none of those shots are even his/hers. There's a whole bunch of shots I'm pretty sure I've seen in this thread before, including BlackBeetleKing's fucked up oversharpened pics. And they all have terrible jpeg compression.

Beckx

Got a new laptop and finally got into Dolphin. I got Viewtiful Joe and Tatsunoko vs Capcom up and running without problems.

Xenoblade is running & looking great (fixed the audio issues after a few searches), but I have one problem. I downloaded the texture pack for Xbox icons and put it in the right folder (users/load/textures/< game id >, and enabled texture packs under Advanced settings in the graphics config, but they won't show up in game. I'm still seeing the Wii controller icons.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

1stStrike

Banned
Got a new laptop and finally got into Dolphin. I got Viewtiful Joe and Tatsunoko vs Capcom up and running without problems.

Xenoblade is running & looking great (fixed the audio issues after a few searches), but I have one problem. I downloaded the texture pack for Xbox icons and put it in the right folder (users/load/textures/< game id >, and enabled texture packs under Advanced settings in the graphics config, but they won't show up in game. I'm still seeing the Wii controller icons.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I haven't been able to get the texture pack working, either. I plan on revisiting it at a later date to see if I can figure it out, but even following the instructions from the actual thread where they were released I couldn't get the pack working in Dolphin 3.0 or 3.5.

Top Bottom