• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wow, only 27 days till this thread finally gets to eat.

0,3363,sz=1&i=50782,00.jpg

and I guess while I am in here, and before I go to sleep, I will just drop this in here.

It's linked to in the OP, but with less than a month to go before E3 and conversation slowing down, now would be a good time to drop it in it's entirety.

**all links lead back to NWR forums which then may link to the respective sources of "rumor"**

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Rumor Consolidation 2011

September 2010:
-Itagaki of Team Ninja hints at game Devil's Third being made for Wii2

October 2010:
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console - *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC *Confirmed*

November 2010:
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order: From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works
-EA reviving NFL Blitz

December 2010:

January 2011:
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console - Most Likely Sony since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii *New Pokémon game for 3DS instead*

February 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to THQ *Confirmed*

March 2011:
-Wii2 announcement coming soon according to EA *Confirmed*
-AMD working on CPU/GPU combined (Fusion based) chip for console due for release @ end of 2012; Told to bring schedule in for earlier release. *Update* - This matches up with this rumor from back in Dec. AMD Fusion based Xbox 720 in 2012?

April 2011:
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon *Confirmed* Monster Hunter 3G & Monster Hunter 4
-SSFIV3D connects to home console - Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th *Confirmed*
-Wii2 announcement @ E3: 1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012 *Confirmed*
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in *Non HD Screen Confirmed*
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology *High Density Optical Disc Confirmed*
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release (1st half 2012) *IGN backs this up in their mailbag*
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen *Touch Screen Confirmed*
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet: 6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC *Codename Confirmed* *All Confrmed*
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & Games Wii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently *Confirmed*
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3 *confirmed* EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
-Wii2 = TriCore PPC & R700 class GPU w/ 512+MB Ram Another surprise to be shown @ E3 *TriCore CPU Confirmed*
-3rd Parties have had Wii2 Dev Kits for Months, Has better Motion Tracking than Move *Dev Kits Confirmed*
-Pikmin 3 moved to Project Cafe *Confirmed* to be shown @ E3; Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.
-Wii2 launch June 2012; Rockstar delivering game (?GTA V?) during launch window
-Wii2, 3DS & E3!? Oh Yes!!; 3rd Parties taking a front seat this time around.
-Retro working on Wii2 game; and it's "a project everyone wants us to do" (Starfox? Zelda? New Original FPS?)
-Nintendo prepping Head Mounted 3D VR? sounds like the NintendoOn to me....
-Wii 2 will not be Dreamcast, it’ll be “the PlayStation 2 of next gen”; A true next gen console? sounds like it.
-Retro's new game is actually Eternal Darkness 2?
-"Where there's smoke, there's fire" - Miyamoto's comment on Project Cafe - He also said not to believe everything you hear though.
-Wii2 controller has a 6.2" screen and 8 buttons *Confirmed*
-IGN: The N Stream (Wii2) Details "confirmed"?
-1up says: No Friend Codes for Wii2 *Confirmed* I think
-Retro making DKCR sequel for Wii2?
-Project Cafe Codename Confirmed; 01net rumors now have even more credibility
-4Chan Cafe "Leak"?; Sounds like a wishlist to me.
-Rareware to make 3DS games?; not sure how likely this one is, but Rare did release DS games
-Nintendo Select = $19.99 Players Choice line? *Confirmed*
-Project Cafe E3 Publishers List?; More than likely fake, but the real thing will probably still be close
-Super Smash Brothers Café @ E3 2011?; Every Nintendo Franchise to be shown off in HD? Sounds good to me ;) *SSB Wii[sup]u[/sup] & 3DS Announced - Confirmed*

May 2011:
-Haptic Feedback & Vitality Sensor Built In? *Fake*
-Project Cafe: 8GB onboard Flash, 25GB disc & 1080p
-Track Pad in the Cafe Pad?; Just because I don't believe it don't mean it's not possible... *False*
-GTAV to be revealed @ E3?
-$350+ Wii2 starts production in October (Foxconn to produce)
-MS to steal Nintendo's thunder @ E3? *False* Not at this E3 atleast
-Zumba Fitness 2 for Project Cafe? to be announced/released early 2012!?
-Pikmin 3 & Endless Ocean 3 screenshots? They're likely fake, but what if they aren't.... E3 is still so far away.
-IGN: Cafe to use a 4850? maybe 2GB's of RAM (1GB GPU & 1GB CPU)?
-Valve working on Café (Wii2)?; *Confirmed* HipHopGamer says Gabe Newell is impressed with Café and it's ease of development
-The Last Story coming to Europe!?; If they translate it, it better come to the U.S. too.
-Wii VC transferable to Café? HD versions getting made?
-Project Café Spec Sheet?; Only time will tell *Fake*
-21 Rumors & A Bet To Back Them Up; Gotta love a bet where we win either way!
-Metroid Café Screenshot!?; I call fake, but it still looks good to me. [fake]
-HQ Camera's in Café?
-"Final" Spec Sheet and Comparison; I compare it to the previous Spec Sheet... (less than 6 days left) *Fake*
-New Zelda for 25th Anniversary!?; Legend of Paper Zelda anyone!? *4 Swords DSi - Confirmed*
-ESRB Leak!? Nintendo Current!? E3 Games Reel!? *update* *fake*
-Project Cafe @ EB Games Expo!?; Nintendo will be there, surely Café will be too. Will you be there?
-12 Skyward Sword Rumors; A Pre-E3 roundup of Zelda Rumors (with a bonus #13)
-Super Mario Café @ E3?; It would only make sense.... *NSMBMii - Confirmed*
-Nikkei Confirms 6" Touch Screen, Camera and Rechargeable Battery; Mid-2012 Launch Date expected *Confirmed*
-Super Mario Wii 2!? as in Super Mario for Wii 2? *NSMBMii could be considered NSMBW2 - Confirmed?*
-Another 4Chan leak!? I want to believe it. So do you.; So. Do. You. *Controller details are False*
-Project Cafe to be called... Nintendo? Just Nintendo.... that's it. *False*
-Nintendo Beem?; I think it works... not as well a xStream ;P but it's probably [fake] anyways.

June 2011:
-GTA V coming in 2012!? It's Likely.; Wii[sup]u[/sup] launch window title sounds likely too

July 2011:
-Iwata subsidizes 3DS price drop with executive pay cuts!?
-Street Fighter x Tekken is coing to 3DS!?

August 2011:
-4 New Nintendo Selects this Month!? *Confirmed*
-Patents reveal uMote possibly uses Flash Mem, H.264, WirelessN, Multi-Touch and has a Cradle/Docking Station!
-Zone Of Enders 3DS - ZOE:3DS; Kojima Tweeted it with pics, so it must be true right?
-Magic Box says: New Fire Emblem: Blue Sacred Sword and Red Demon Lance
-01.Net says 2nd Analog Attachment for 3DS coming & then details some internal Nintendo Drama *2nd Analog Confirmed*
-Dragon Quest X to be MMO-like *Confirmed*
-01.Net says that some Nintendo Game Designs may be a little more than borrowed; Truth may never come to light on this one
-Epic Mickey 2 in development!? Mickey & Oswald co-op?

September 2011:
-Monster Hunter TriG, Baten Kaitos & Mach Rider: Unchained to be unveiled @ 3DS event next week
-More games rumored for next week; Yoshi, Ace Attorney, Etrian Odyssey and more....
-Wii U uses 28nm chips & 1T-SRAM!? NEC & MoSys still in the picture
-Super Smash Bros. Universe!?

October 2011:
-Luigi's Mansion 2 slide pad compatible? That would make it the only 1st party game so far that is...
-Some Sonic Dimensions Rumors and Details(?); Sega Dev [laughs] and says "*Hoax*"

November 2011:
-Silicon Knights working on Eternal Darkness 2?; it's the only "requested" title from them that I can think of.
-Revised Wiimote w/touchscreen mentioned in Sonic Dimensions rumor? yet another wiimote attachment? :/
-Wii U to support 2 tablets!? they never said it wouldn't, but anything confirming that it will is good news in my book.
-Is EA gunning to be the sole Digital Distributor for Wii U?; Trying to get any edge over Steam that it can.
-Wii U Dev Kits have atleast 2 GB of RAM; it was also mentioned that it was tri-core dual threaded Power based CPU & GPU around 1.2 TFlops
-DQVII or FFVII 3DS!? - Something about 7th entry of popular JRPG released 6 months after spinoff....
-AMD's GCN Graphics Core a possibilty for Wii U?; Graphics Core Next & GameCube Nintendo... surely it's just a coincedence

December 2011
-Xenoblade April 2012 in the US?; Operation Rainfall would like to take credit for this one...
-Wii U Specs: 768MB of eDRAM & 3Ghz QCore PPC?; I call BS on this one... but we will know soon enough.
-Real Wii U App Store!?; I can't wait for Angry Birds & Customizable clocks...
-EPIC Mickey 2 - Fall 2012 (Multi-plat & Co-op); I hope it's an improvement over the original (which I still have yet to play :p )

to be continued....

.... continued
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Rumor Consolidation 2012

January 2012
-Wii U eReader & iOS Apps!?; Taking on Apple head to head? You have my sword.
-Sega All-Star Racing 2? Wii U - was the first one any good? serious question. I've never played it.
-Nintendo's Online Network to revival Live & PSN!?; Now your taking on MS & Sony head on too? You have my shield.
-Rocksteady Studios (Batman AA/AC) making a new TMNT game!?; As long as it includes Bebop, we approve.
-New Wii U Dev Kits More Powerful than expected.; Now we are playing with POWER!!
-Retro Studios working on StarFox Wii U?; I'd rather them work on something else, but I'm not mad if it's true.
-Wii U = 5X360!?; Let's hope IGN gets it right this time.
-Nintendo renaming the Wii U?; No. they will not call is Super Wii. Stop It Kytim.
-Resident Evil 6 is coming to Wii U; I'm the source on this one... a very pretty birdie told me.
-Nintendo using voice recognition software in Wii U; I hope it's comparable to this Siri I keep hearing so much about
-Zelda 3DS to be unveiled at GDC 2012; So soon after SS?

February 2012
-Lady GaGa: The Experience!?; My ears will bleed, but I'll have no choice but to buy it (not for me)
-Activision backing Nintendo Big in 2012 & 2013; Time to walk the walk this time
-Epic Mickey 2 U?; Looks like it could be headed to Wii U now
-Samaritan on Wii U?; @ 720p if rumors of power are to be believed.
-[size=1em]HD & 3D uMote screen!?[/size]; I know it was speculated before, but this is a whole new patent
-CoD: BlOps2 is this years CoD title?; if it is, it will be on Wii U no doubt.
-Activision Working On Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game?; Do they have a studio by the name Bebop?
-Pokemon B&W Sequel to be announced this Week!?; Pokemon Grey incoming? *Confirmed* Pokemon B&W2
-Nintendo to make Wii U a media centerpiece!? Taking a page from Xbox Live's playbook? Sounds good to me.
-CryEngine Wii U Demo @ GDC; Rumor is that they can't wait to show it off. Fact is that I can't wait to see it.
-Time Splitters 4, Overstrike & Dead Space Wii U!?; Add the sports titles and EA is not playing around this time.
-No Xbox720 till maybe 2014 & PS3 to come in 2013!?; So says the same source as RE6 on Wii U...
-[size=1em]$299 Wii U @ launch?[/size]; This rumor is from the same place that said 768MB embeded DRAM in Wii U. Salt Lick needed.

March 2012
-Nintendo tweaked Wii U to run Unreal Engine 4; Caterkiller knows the source, so direct your questions at him ;)
-Donkey Kong 3D in the works for 3DS!?; GameStop seems to thinks so... Now GameStop says *NO*
-3 New IP's @ E3 for Nintendo?; and 10 Nintendo titles @ E3 + 70 3rd Party games in development!
-AMD has been working on Wii U GPU since atleast June 2009?; and possibly with IBM all while in India
-Current Wii U Dev Kits are True 720p with heavy uPad usage.; 1080p still possible with less uPad usage & current dev kit is not the most recent released.
-Major eShop leak?; I would love for it to be true... but I do not believe it is. But we shall see. Can't wait 4 E3!
-Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion 3DS!?; *TRUE*... but still waiting on a Wii U version.
-Nintendo NDA's to be lifted sometime next week? FY2012 ends after next week. Investor Meetings & Financial Reports could reveal some goodies.
-Capcom has an Action Title ready to show for Wii U @ E3!; RE6 anyone?
-The Last Ranger is actually a sequel to Dillon's Rolling Western!?; I guess we'll have to wait and see...
-Retro's next game looks "extremely impressive" and it is NOT DK, TLOZ or Metroid...; StarTropics?
-Regional Nintendo's want change U too!!?; It's not just the gamers wishing for this to happen...
-New 3DS Firmware Update Incoming? with lots of new features included!! Nintendo Network goes live early?
-Two tribes hints @ Steamworks/Wii U Cross Platform Play? it would be nice if Steam was on Wii U.... *wink wink*
-Headstrong rebooting a Sega IP from the Dreamcast Era? only to have it cancelled!? ....Jet Set!?
-Nintendo & MySpace Sitting in a Tree....?; getting together for the launch of MySpaceTV?

April[/size]
-Wii U less powerful than PS360, Developers say...; late April fools joke or the bitter truth? Probably BS either way.
-Wii U Launch 11/18/2012?; GameStop agees; Lots of Nintendo stuff has launched the week b4 Black Friday.
-Nintendo Grand Prix?; Nintendo's own GT/Forza? in the style of Project Gotham Racing?
-Haptics coming to Wii U!?; ViviTouch does haptic rumble and not haptic touch (from what I've heard)
-Lucas Arts making a Star Wars MMO for Wii U!?; I don't know, but they are making something MMO for Wii U.
-$180 is what it cost Nintendo for all the parts in Wii U?; not including assembly, R&D, shipping, etc. etc.
-Hitman: Absolution coming to Wii U? along with several other titles from SE devs?
-Pandora's Tower Coming to North America? NWR got the scoop, GameStop is the source.
-Universal uMote!? Potential TVGuide, Channel Preview, multi-device control and more!? make it happen please.
-Nintendo & Square ink a deal to revive an old Square character? From SMRPG maybe?
-Crazy rumors... something about Epic & Metroid / Wii U & Android / & a big multimedia push
-uMote has been remodeled and leaked pic is not the final version?
-uMote to get better range than we thought!? let's hope so. Nintendo was conservative with Wavebird too...
-Wii U to "Street Pass" like 3DS?; using Gamer Cards to collect data on the go? sounds good to me... I guess.
-Wii U @ $350?; Likely just a place holder price, but why spend money to advertise it?

May
-More to the "Android on Wii U" rumors than we previously thought? Very fully featured OS incoming? A supposed Google employee on GAF seems to think so....
-Google and Nintendo have been working on an OS together since 2007 (post from 4/30/2010)
-"Clicky Sticks" on the uMote!?; Another controller feature to bring parity between Wii U and PS360
-New Patents show possible uMote stand and Zapper gun attachments; lots more plastic attachments to come, I''m sure.
-Starfox in the works for Wii U?; Let's hope that whoever is making it, loved SF64.
-Blockbuster Leaks Wii U Lineup?; looks pretty solid if true.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.

Would be interesting to see what his 'source' is. Nothing I've heard about Epic's engines and the Wii U imply this, including the reputed v4 -> v5 (or v3 -> v4, whatever it was) 'significant' performance boost.

guek

Banned
Would be interesting to see what his 'source' is. Nothing I've heard about Epic's engines and the Wii U imply this, including the reputed v4 -> v5 (or v3 -> v4, whatever it was) 'significant' performance boost.

I'm in the same boat, I want to be hopeful but I just can't bring myself to set myself up for disappointment.

btw BlackNMild2k1, what makes you so sure this guy aint full of shit?

I know him personally and he knows the source. And like I said, we were discussing the info before he posted it to the site. There is more to it but I can't really share anything else without compromising him and/or his source.

Linkhero1

I'm in the same boat, I want to be hopeful but I just can't bring myself to set myself up for disappointment.

Every E3, before Nintendo's conference, I purposely lower my expectations to the worst possible case (i.e. E3 2008). The problem is that I still come out disappointed one way or another.

guek

Banned
I know him personally and he knows the source. And like I said, we were discussing the info before he posted it to the site. There is more to it but I can't really share anything else without compromising him and/or his source.

Are you willing to place a perma-ban bet on this UE4 news coming true by E3?

I've never suggested someone take a ban bet unless I really can't stand them, but don't think I want you gone or anything. I'm just really curious to see how strongly you believe this rumor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Fair enough. As said, it's interesting he says that, as yeah, from the people I've spoken to UE4's situation was still up in the air. Same go for reports of any notable hardware alterations.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Does he personally know his developer source? As in face-to-face communication?

Instro

I don't know, I'll take ideal controls that make the game easier over good ones that make them more challenging but that's me and it's a tough call.

I personally cannot call them ideal when the game was not originally designed with them in mind. Now if they had reworked other aspects of the game with these controls in mind, then it would truly be a better game. To me the pointer are interesting, and a fresh take on the original game, but it does not automatically make it a superior experience.

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.

Thanks for the update. Hoping it turns out to be true, but I will not expect it.

Are you willing to place a perma-ban bet on this UE4 news coming true by E3?

I've never suggested someone take a ban bet unless I really can't stand them, but don't think I want you gone or anything. I'm just really curious to see how strongly you believe this rumor.

He already did a sort-of ban bet on himself (from NWR) if it didn't happen.
I will not place that same faith in the news as it was not told to me directly and therefore I can only vouch that the person who said to me really believes it to be 110% truth.

Does he personally know his developer source? As in face-to-face communication?

Yes.

NBtoaster

Portal 2's DLC got me thinking what Nintendo's stance on user generated content is. Would they want tightly controlled content and networking like MS or a more open approach to user content/control like Sony?

guek

Banned
He already did a sort-of ban bet on himself (from NWR) if it didn't happen.
I will not place that same faith in the news as it was not told to me directly and therefore I can only vouch that the person who said to me really believes it to be 110% truth.

Mmmk, fair enough :)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It does seem like Nintendo would be very interested in having UE4 work on their system. Watching the interview between Geoff and Reggie again, Reggie says several times that Nintendo is concerned about 3rd party content and having games the other systems will have.

guek

Banned
How would GAF react if at E3, they announced that Wii U will be getting:

First UE4 trailer on Wii U
Bioshock
Borderlands
BLOPS II (best console version)
Crysis 3 (best console version)
Nintendo vs. Capcom
F-zero Wii U by Monster Games
Eternal Darkness 2 by Silicon Knights
Star Fox Wii U by Retro
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Exclusive)
GTAV w/3-6 months exclusivity

Yes, I know this will never happen, I'm just asking to ask

Portal 2's DLC got me thinking what Nintendo's stance on user generated content is. Would they want tightly controlled content and networking like MS or a more open approach to user content/control like Sony?

God, I dream of the day (Nintendo supported) user created Mario and Zelda content exists.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

I'd probably be reacting to the ice coming from the ground because hell would have frozen over.

Anth0ny

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

How would GAF react?

The greatest meltdown of all time, bar none.

snesfreak

Banned

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

GAF would be down, because the servers would literally explode.

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

A Perfect storm

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

Why not go the whole hog and throw in a couple of new AAA first party, character-based IPs, a co-developed title with Epic or Crytec, unique, innovative and fresh Online capabilities, and Beyond Good & Evil 2 exclusivity?

Just to really make people's heads explode.

User Tron

Bioshock
Borderlands
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Star Fox Wii U by Retro

Http Error 500

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You know what... I was about to hate on the suggestion that Monster Games work on F-Zero, but I just watched a video for ExciteBots and I forgot how much freaking fun that game was. Easily one of my favorite games for the Wii and a severely underrated game. Doing a "Butterfly rescue" while playing a racing game is just insane.

Excite Truck was very good too. I got it with my Wii, and for the first couple of days actually played it more than Zelda TP. :p

EatChildren

Excite Truck was very good too. I got it with my Wii, and for the first couple of days actually played it more than Zelda TP. :p

Excite Truck is the best arcade racer of the gen. Only scrubs disagree.

bomma_man

This post makes me kinda sad for gaming as a medium. A plethora of fun titles are just going to be left to be forgotten.

With cinema, there's a very concerted effort to put all the old titles on the new hardware (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, digital). But with games, because of the constant refreshes of hardware and different interface requirements needed to play certain games, we're never going to get this.

Imagine if all of Nintendo's DS/3DS games are lost to time because they give up the dual screen format in 10 years.

This is a big problem, especially when companies somehow manage to lose their own fucking source code. It's a bit like the early days of cinema where studios regularly destroyed footage when they made cuts to the running length (see Metropolis and every Orson Welles movie). Guess we'll always have emulation, but it'd be nice if there was some independent organisation that dealt with gaming history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom