• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None Season 2 |OT| Aziz Ansari's Show Finally Returns (May 12th - Netflix)

valeo

Sorry, it was pretty much just late night ramblings.

What's really bothered me is when Alan Yang said at some award show

"Thank you to the straight white guys who dominated movies and TV so hard, for so long that stories about anyone else seem kind of fresh and original"

And that's the problem. Besides "Parents", "Indians on TV" and maybe "I Love You New York"-- Master of None is basically just another bland straight white guy show to me.

Aziz and Alan love to live in this world where it's just a rainbow coalition, they don't really get *that* deep into what makes us as Asian American males stand out. What makes *our* experience unique. They want to gloss things over and even the sad relationship bits Dev falls into just seem...bland?

For example, the dating episode could have been deeper. Asian American men are the least matched profiles on these dating apps and all this episode gave was one brief line about it. Do you guys understand how those little things effect our psyche subconsciously? Like we have to try harder, be more stylish, be something extravagant just to be maybe equal parity to your below average white guy.

I'm only saying I'm disappointed because I do share a lot of characteristics with Dev's character, in personality AND ethnicity. I get that this is supposed to be more light in tone but it just baffles me how much praise this show gets for being the bare minimum.

That's why I wanted to get input from more people of color to see how they felt about this representation. Because this is basically the only show we have.

I don't understand.

What quantity of Indian culture does this show need for you not to consider it a 'boring white guy show'? What is the ratio?

The way I take it is that this Aziz's mostly personal experience - is his experience not legitimate?

Ryck

When did the show advertise itself as being true to life? Just because a show isn't about everything or about what you're looking for specifically doesn't mean it's a flaw.

Yep, I think there is a lot of that going around in general. It is a strange way to look at things IMO.

Dany

Banned
Edit: Hmm, different shirts, no ring...

dev-fran-finale.jpg

She knows she fucked up. :(

@killertofu I disagree because not every scenario in Aziz's show had to be about race. A lot of the relatable/ordinary scenarios just goes to show that brown people wanna get by with a normal life. And what this show accomplishes with a brown lead is that that type of role doesn't have to default to a white lead all the time.

the lighting in this scene was next level gorgeous

i mean maybe i'm wrong but i haven't seen a comedy on tv this stunning in forever.

-----
i'm still thinking about "thanksgiving" and it's heartbreaking Angela Bassett never got a truly fulfilling career (like what viola is experiencing now). or that oscar.

Osahi

Just finished season 2. What an amazing show. I love how it experiments with what it can do, and offer some totally different episodes that break the norm entirely. Beautifully shot too, great characters and I loved the romance plot in the final episodes. It might have some strange tonal shifts from time to time
You got a very sweet scene between Dev and Francesca in one scene, and suddenly a goofy dialogue between Dev and his agent (?) in the next where she tries to 'see his soul'.
, but thats okay.

I absolutely loved it. Especially episode 9 was incredibly sweet.

phanphare

Banned
doing a rewatch

man, that thanksgiving episode is a thing of beauty. the way all the different story lines come together. catherine thinking denise's grandma wouldn't be able to handle her being gay and yet she's the only one who gave michelle a hug and the only one who immediately recognized how great she was, with the smart and beautiful bit. then catherine saying that denise has to respect her house when she's there not realizing that denise already was. then denise blatantly disrespecting her house and bringing someone who was beautiful but not smart. then catherine realizing that michelle actually was good with her talk with dev when he's getting her chocolate milk. and the feels moment of the entire season when catherine realizes that denise is dating michelle because she's attracted to women that are like her. and the acting was great. catherine embracing denise in the kitchen but not being able to look her in the eye just yet because she would have broke down crying. and then michelle and aunt joyce humorously embracing their awkward first meeting when joyce forced a hand shake and a pound instead of giving michelle a hug.

so good

doing a rewatch

man, that thanksgiving episode is a thing of beauty. the way all the different story lines come together. catherine thinking denise's grandma wouldn't be able to handle her being gay and yet she's the only one who gave michelle a hug and the only one who immediately recognized how great she was, with the smart and beautiful bit. then catherine saying that denise has to respect her house when she's there not realizing that denise already was. then denise blatantly disrespecting her house and bringing someone who was beautiful but not smart. then catherine realizing that michelle actually was good with her talk with dev when he's getting her chocolate milk. and the feels moment of the entire season when catherine realizes that denise is dating michelle because she's attracted to women that are like her. and the acting was great. catherine embracing denise in the kitchen but not being able to look her in the eye just yet because she would have broke down crying. and then michelle and aunt joyce humorously embracing their awkward first meeting when joyce forced a hand shake and a pound instead of giving michelle a hug.

so good
religion x thanksgiving was some great television

magnetic

I really enjoyed almost everything that wasn't the Francesca part. The deaf elements were fantastic, Devs parents were brilliant as always, I loved the first episode with Devs little chubby italian sidekick... But the Francesca stuff really didn't grab me for some reason. I just found it tedious to watch her. She's undeniably attractive, but it got a bit tiring to see both of them almost making out all the time until she yet again mentions how she's engaged and how it's complicated. Yes, I understand that that's where the dramatic tension lies, but it just didn't excite me.

At least the cliffhanger implied that she actually made a decision.

The Thanksgiving episode was a definite highlight for me, though. So sweet!

Wabba

Just finished season 2. Started season 1 this monday, by accidentally browsing on Netflix. I think this is one of the best showes that i have watched. Just love the story and drama moments, season 2 especially. And there are some amazing cinematography in some of these shots. And perfect choice of music.

Why isn't MoN more praised?

Tankard

Season 2 was a masterpiece. My favourite episodes were 6 and 9, but there's so much to like about this season. The episodes in Italy were delightful, the music.

This show had no business being this great.

It's hard to describe how amazing the cinematography is in the show. Even people I know who don't normally realize that stuff comment on how pretty this show is.

Just finished season 2. Started season 1 this monday, by accidentally browsing on Netflix. I think this is one of the best showes that i have watched. Just love the story and drama moments, season 2 especially. And there are some amazing cinematography in some of these shots. And perfect choice of music.

Aziz and Alan decide when to do a season of the show, they aren't locked into a set production schedule.

She knows she fucked up. :(

Think you're assuming a bit much, while that's definitely a possibility, what I got from that is a look of "what have I done?" but not in a negative sense. Just that she hadn't really thought of the consequences of her actions until afterwards, but not knowing whether she regrets it or not.

This is why I'm very excited for next season as I'm sure we'll get a full explanation of how they got there and what happens afterwards, are they happy or do they both realize that it only worked as a forbidden love type of deal?

Anyway, great season, better than the previous one I think(I should rewatch that one and refresh my memory), I loved "New York, I Love You" and "Thanksgiving" very much, I hope they do more episodes where they focus on other perspectives.

HvySky

Just finished it up earlier tonight. Never would have expected this show to become one of my all time favorites, but here we are. I absolutely LOVE it.

GatorBait

Ummmm, it's nearly unanimously praised, both critically and popularly.

Rotten Tomatoes scores are:
Season 1 - 100% / 89%
Season 2 - 100% / 95%

Glad you found and enjoyed it though. Spread the word of how good it is.

Ledbetter

I find curious that this show is divisive in the sense that some people enjoyed the episodes with Francesca, but not the ones like "Thanksgiving" or "New York, I Love You", and other people were the other way around. Just like S1 with the Rachel episodes and "Parents" or "Indians on TV".

Personally I'm glad Aziz decided to do the show this way, giving us some break from the main storyline with episodes showing the experiences from other people. I mean, the part with the deaf couple was something so unique and I think I've never seen something like that on TV before. Or the Thanksgiving episode, portraying the experience of a black lesbian woman coming out and seeing at the end that everything is fine with her family after the struggle she faced, it makes you feel so good and yet so aware of the things that people have to go through just because of who they are (probably this is put in a very simplistic way, but still).

Honestly, if they decide to do a third season, they can take whatever time they want. For that beautiful cinematography, great story, amazing sountrack and yes, the acting might not be the best but at least I feel it genuine, I can wait the time that might need.

Man, I love this show.

Just finished it. Wow it was so good. I enjoyed every second of it. Francesca and Dev have great chemistry. The thanksgiving episode was epically good. I just the feel and look of the show. Feels real. Arnold is awesome. Just sucks it doesnt just keep going forever ever.

LotusHD

Banned
More people would've liked Francesca if she at least got an episode to herself. (Meaning little to no Dev.) I liked the character, but I was sad to see that she didn't get one.

I liked season 1 a lot, but season 2 took things to an whole different level. I was legitimately surprised hos good this was.

Man, some of Dev's expressions of torment were dead-on. I haven't been single/pining in nearly 3 decades and it took me right back there.

doing a rewatch

so good

Dev repeating the IG name had me in tears.

Thanksgiving is the GOAT. It's so well shot, and the story elements are just perfect. I actually like the episodes that flesh out the side characters more than just seeing Dev be Dev. Fran should have gotten her own episode that focused on her life growing up in that little town and her relationship Pino throughout the years, it would have made all the blue ball dates with Dev a bit more tolerable imo.

Roc

Neo Member
Just finished this season

that was fantastic

Was that the intention the ending?
That was my interpretation :(
I dont know what to think!

I don't know, I think it was left vague for that reason. All we know is they're together in some way or another and she's no longer wearing her ring. I don't think it can be read into much farther than that. Definite cliffhanger though.

RaGe_pt

One of my favourites of all time. Thank god I found it on netflix. And I'm absolutely in love with Alessandra Mastronardi...

CHC

I really don't trust Francesca, she's like one of those too-good-to-be-true type women that seems like she'd be weird and manipulative down the line.

Just finished the season and thought it was great. The direction remained on point with some gorgeous shots. Love the friendship between Dev and Arnold and Dev and Denise.

Music was really good and Dev's love of food always leaves you hungry.

Chef Jeff seemed like a cool dude at first, but a habitual line stepper

Nice unexpected pop-ups in the season as well from The Jabbawockeez to Cedric the Entertainer to Good Elenaor from the Good Place.

I bought into the relationship between Dev and Francesca and enjoyed most of the romance between them. Really curious to see the next step in their relationship, although I know it will be awhile if it does happen. I appreciate the fact Aziz allows the story ideas to cook and takes his time with the show.

I also like how each episode can shift and do something different, with the doorman/deaf couple/cab driver and friends being a great example of that.

Anyone else really like Jeff? Bobby Cannavale always has the imposing 'could snap at any moment' presence, I'm glad they had some restraint and he wasn't a stereotypical jerk. I've only seen up to Thanksgiving.

LotusHD

Banned
Anyone else really like Jeff? Bobby Cannavale always has the imposing 'could snap at any moment' presence, I'm glad they had some restraint and he wasn't a stereotypical jerk. I've only seen up to Thanksgiving.

Same, would've been awful if he turned out to be a jerk, glad they didn't go there

It was one of the better uses of Cannavale's talents.

Slightly disappointed by the ending to an otherwise amazing season. Was hoping that Dev would
ultimately suffer the consequence of falling for Francesca in the first place.
Maybe that will be saved for next season.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Just got done with the season tonight. Some really great moments in this season that will stick with me. I could totally relate in the last episode
when he told Arnold about how he just missed feeling connected to somebody like that and tired of feeling alone.
Damn, I hate that feeling too.

Thoughts on season:
I definitely fall into the camp that both he and Francesca had to take some of the blame for developing feelings for one another. Dev should've known better, but she led him on too. I think Arnold's comment that things may not be like the fantasy they've both got in their heads may play out next season. And I agree that it's kind of crappy that Dev kept pursuing her knowing that she's engaged but this is a guy who in S1 was okay being the other man in an affair, so clearly his morals are questionable.

The religion episode and the thanksgiving episode were standouts to me. Also that long take of him in the uber going home thinking about her...that moment stuck with me. We've all been there...

Bring on Season 3!!

deleted

I'm near 100% sure that the last shot is a flashback
it seems to me that it goes back to the night to show that she is actively thinking about being with Dev too and doesn't know how to act - and is not just using him for an emotional affair. The shot is just too similar to the night itself and how we get to see how Dev feels. The ring could be just simbolism at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we start fresh in season 3 without Francesca. I'm in the camp of s2ep1 girl bumping into Dev in New York again.

CHC

I'm sure you're not projecting at all.

I mean not really, it's not like I've dated anyone like her. I'm not the only one who feels this way, though. My girlfriend is also distrusting of her and her "too cute-ness" and the way that she is leading Dev on, when should not be so overt with him unless she's serious about ending her engagement. Dev is, of course, not blameless either. And I mean they seem happy and everything, it's just.... there are some definite red flags is all.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Sorry, it was pretty much just late night ramblings.

What's really bothered me is when Alan Yang said at some award show

"Thank you to the straight white guys who dominated movies and TV so hard, for so long that stories about anyone else seem kind of fresh and original"

And that's the problem. Besides "Parents", "Indians on TV" and maybe "I Love You New York"-- Master of None is basically just another bland straight white guy show to me.

Aziz and Alan love to live in this world where it's just a rainbow coalition, they don't really get *that* deep into what makes us as Asian American males stand out. What makes *our* experience unique. They want to gloss things over and even the sad relationship bits Dev falls into just seem...bland?

For example, the dating episode could have been deeper. Asian American men are the least matched profiles on these dating apps and all this episode gave was one brief line about it. Do you guys understand how those little things effect our psyche subconsciously? Like we have to try harder, be more stylish, be something extravagant just to be maybe equal parity to your below average white guy.

I'm only saying I'm disappointed because I do share a lot of characteristics with Dev's character, in personality AND ethnicity. I get that this is supposed to be more light in tone but it just baffles me how much praise this show gets for being the bare minimum.

That's why I wanted to get input from more people of color to see how they felt about this representation. Because this is basically the only show we have.

I agree with you bro. I know i'll probably get trashed on here, but in terms of representing the POC POV, Aziz and Alan only dipped their toes in. That's their choice and it's their show. I just want more shows that go all the way in, intelligently. Atlanta is my main example. Master of None is their show and they can do whatever they want.

Valonquar

I'm near 100% sure that the last shot is a flashback
it seems to me that it goes back to the night to show that she is actively thinking about being with Dev too and doesn't know how to act - and is not just using him for an emotional affair. The shot is just too similar to the night itself and how we get to see how Dev feels. The ring could be just simbolism at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we start fresh in season 3 without Francesca. I'm in the camp of s2ep1 girl bumping into Dev in New York again.

There's screenshots that show they are wearing different clothes, extra blanket over them, and the fact she isn't wearing the engagement ring. Aziz has said he's done with the show for now, as he'd need to experience more in life for a while to have enough material to draw from. It's likely they ended it that way to leave it up to you what happened. Either she called off the engagement & they did get back together, or it's just Dev fantasizing. There's an interview where Aziz mentions it's supposed to be a lot like another film where what you get out of the ending shows you whether you are an optimist or a pessimist.

Will F

Finally finished watching it. I wish they had either fleshed out Pino's character a bit more so there would be even more emotional weight to the decisions at the end of the season. Or maybe they could have been "inspired" by In the Mood For Love (I guess it's not an Italian movie, so maybe that wouldn't happen) and have him be a character that is often discussed, but never actually appears on camera.

Thoroughly enjoyed the season though.

Top Bottom