• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

strafer

I had a dream were I was in Jurassic Park again. It's like the 60th time now, and I can never seem to go back there automatically, it just happens certain nights. And when it rains.

Jawmuncher

I had a dream were I was in Jurassic Park again. It's like the 60th time now, and I can never seem to go back there automatically, it just happens certain nights. And when it rains.

Have had a few of those as well out of the blue. Last one I recall I was at the JP Gas station lol.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I have JP dreams every now and then. Had a bunch just before World came out, due to the hype. It involved me either getting early access to the movie online, or being chased somewhere by Indominus. JP hss never scared me, even as a small kid, but those dreams of getting chased were pretty scary!

Welp.

My quest to watch JW tonight ends in misery.

Never buy digital movies from Best Buy.

At least my physical copy is coming.

^TLW is one of Williams most underrated scores IMO. JW had a pretty nice score, but it didn't come close to the amazingness of TLW and JP.

Welp.

My quest to watch JW tonight ends in misery.

Never buy digital movies from Best Buy.

At least my physical copy is coming.

Oh, what happened?

Toa TAK

Banned
TLW is probably my favorite score of the JP series. So many awesome songs in it. JW had a great one as well, though, and I feel the new theme that was created for this new series was pretty good, even if they couldn't seem to nail it in the film (beyond the T-Rex entrance).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
My SO just won me a giant I-Rex crane game plush from the arcade!! I'm so happy :D Always wanted a giant plush dinosaur! Can't even find the size of this one on eBay, so it was worth the credits used to get it.

They also had the red/black prototype raptor, a blackish/green raptor, and a green t-rex I think.

Amalthea

Banned
Reminds me of that one birthday a few years ago when I won the entire Ice Age crew from a crane machine each with only one try.

Really hope to find one that carries JW plushies.

Sadly the machines have become way to rigged and full of non-licensed crap where I live.

bengraven

He nailed the theme for each film to a T and then some.

Jurassic Park: the big attraction, like the world's most epic circus music, the quiet moments of wonder and awe, the underlying subtle creepiness when the music gets low and "oh it's a raptor hatching" or "there's something out there".

Lost World: big jungle adventure, King Kong inspired, running running running with quick hand drums

It's kinda funny, if it weren't for the Aviary breach the park would have probably seen 0 visitor deaths, and remained open after the Indominus was taken care of.

I agree that the film didn't properly utilize its setting. We should have seen more of the park up and running, and then have seen more of the park fall. It would have been cool to see people chased into view exhibits like the T.rex Kingdom, or underwater viewing observatory.

It also kills me they cut the monorail attack sequence.

Yeah, I'd love to see more of the park actually slowly breaking apart. Maybe a group of tourists was attacked earlier on during the flying reptile sequence, but at a different location and we slowly reveal the magnitude by the size of the crowds being attacked.

Also I would have liked some kind of threat against the people in the safety bunker. Like I-Rex was trying to bust in there and that's the reason Claire is like "we have to risk everything to save all those people, open Paddock 9".

Jawmuncher

I personally just want nothing more than ingen mercs vs dinosaurs. Was happy to see a bit of that in JW. Part of the reason why I'm not big on the kid aspect of the Jurassic park franchise. I mean I get why it's there and I don't hate it like some. But the stories I would personally like to see don't really need it. Plus even as a kid I looked up to the adults. I wasn't really focusing on what the kids were doing.

Hopefully we at least see more cross media stuff for JW2. After the success in hoping merchandising is on point next time. So a new comic line and a game would be cool to see explore the stuff the movies can't/won't

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of that one birthday a few years ago when I won the entire Ice Age crew from a crane machine each with only one try.

Really hope to find one that carries JW plushies.

Sadly the machines have become way to rigged and full of non-licensed crap where I live.

That's awesome. Do you remember if it was a Japanese crane? Those are pretty much the only ones that aren't rigged. They still take skill and a number of tries usually, but are *possible*.

I also found the website here from where they were ordered from. Guess they didn't have the t-rex and the other coloured ones were all the raptors (so Charlie was supposed to be the red one, I guess).

Amalthea

Banned
That's awesome. Do you remember if it was a Japanese crane? Those are pretty much the only ones that aren't rigged. They still take skill and a number of tries usually, but are *possible*.

I also found the website here from where they were ordered from. Guess they didn't have the t-rex and the other coloured ones were all the raptors (so Charlie was supposed to be the red one, I guess).

I'm from Europe. Dunno if the machine was from a Japanese manufacturer. But I have noticed differences in their performance. Most obviously are restricting the directions. The last one I used even said you could pay 2 or 6 bucks but 6 didn't mean 3 tries. It just meant one try for tripple the price. Fucking scam.

And it's no fun buying them directly.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm from Europe. Dunno if the machine was from a Japanese manufacturer. But I have noticed differences in their performance. Most obviously are restricting the directions. The last one I used even said you could pay 2 or 6 bucks but 6 didn't mean 3 tries. It just meant one try for tripple the price. Fucking scam.

And it's no fun buying them directly.

Yeah it's more satisfying packing around a prize than just buying it online :) I even tried looking this morning, but eBay only lists the smaller sized ones, so makes it a more special win and more worth it if the smaller size is already going for like $30.

Japanese crane games can actually grip items, but the western machines are so loose, and will more only grip after every nth try, which is part of the scam of course. Yet, they are still able to list it as a "game of skill".

...I wish they had those pillows listed, too.

strafer

He nailed the theme for each film to a T and then some.

Jurassic Park: the big attraction, like the world's most epic circus music, the quiet moments of wonder and awe, the underlying subtle creepiness when the music gets low and "oh it's a raptor hatching" or "there's something out there".

Lost World: big jungle adventure, King Kong inspired, running running running with quick hand drums

Did you like the score for JP3? To me it felt uninspired, it felt like Jurassic Park 2.0.

That's why I love the score for Jurassic World. It felt new and fresh.

I wish Michael Giacchino had been available for JP3. And no offense to Don Davis, I think he's great.

I loved JP3's score. It was perfectly fine. Nice new theme, good action cues. Fit the atmosphere perfectly and still had a robust orchestral sound. Giacchino's JW score though... just fantastic.

edit: I am going to update this thread. Just been sucked into FFXIV the past week :p
edit 2: added a quote for each movie at the bottom of each section, still tinkering with ideas and graphics.

strafer

I loved JP3's score. It was perfectly fine. Nice new theme, good action cues. Fit the atmosphere perfectly and still had a robust orchestral sound. Giacchino's JW score though... just fantastic.

edit: I am going to update this thread. Just been sucked into FFXIV the past week :p
edit 2: added a quote for each movie at the bottom of each section, still tinkering with ideas and graphics.

how about some different avatars...I always see those in OT.s

KevinG

Debating whether or not I want to keep my Blurry gift set on order. The Dueling Rex collectables look neat on the photo, but I just know they will be underwhelming in person.

$80 on Amazon, $70 at Best Buy (maybe Amazon will pricematch for me) or the basic Bluray for $19.99 with $5 Amazon gift card.

What are your plans JurassicGAF?

judhudson

JP-29 Jeep update: Got the doors and mirrors painted and installed. Still need to get door handles, weatherstrip, panels put on. Have the Soft Top in and the roll bar padding that I'll be installing soon, but now I need to focus on cleaning up and painting the windshield.

12144651_10207964157601392_3205826122922948837_n.jpg
12096533_10207964158441413_4695318288698347222_n.jpg
12088522_10207964159241433_8852149653612751316_n.jpg
12141609_10207964159841448_3100820480057327002_n.jpg

JP-29 Jeep update: Got the doors and mirrors painted and installed. Still need to get door handles, weatherstrip, panels put on. Have the Soft Top in and the roll bar padding that I'll be installing soon, but now I need to focus on cleaning up and painting the windshield.

12144651_10207964157601392_3205826122922948837_n.jpg
12096533_10207964158441413_4695318288698347222_n.jpg
12088522_10207964159241433_8852149653612751316_n.jpg
12141609_10207964159841448_3100820480057327002_n.jpg

If I were to look into buying a Jeep to do this with, any advice? Also, what would it run me (just the Jeep - assuming it's in good shape)?

Ah yes! 3D statue edition has been shipped.

Same, arriving tomorrow. Also ordered the regular version from Barnes and Noble as it came with four different park themed posters.

http://www.masraniglobal.com/terminal/system/desktop.html

Also this website just went up that has some information, fake emails, etc. It reveals a fifth raptor that was part of the "posse" and that the raptor training program is called IBRIS.

TO: [UNDISCLOSED RECIPIENTS]
DATE: 05/30/2005 1530 CST
SUBJECT: GRAND OPENING
MESSAGE: I JUST WANTED TO SEND A QUICK MESSAGE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR ALL THE EFFORT YO
U'VE PUT INTO MAKING JURASSIC WORLD COME TO LIFE. WE HAVE A SAYING BACK HOME IN INDIA, 'DER AAYE DURUST
AAYE' OR 'BETTER LATE THAN NEVER'. IT'S TIME WE MAKE HISTORY. HAMMOND WOULD BE PROUD. NAMASTE. SIMON.

TO: [UNDISCLOSED RECIPIENTS]
DATE: 01/10/2015 1215 CST
SUBJECT: INSTALLATION
MESSAGE: MASCOM NETWORK ENGINEERS WILL BE ON SITE INSTALLING NEW SCANNING HARDWARE IN THE NORTH OF THE
ISLAND PAST THE RESTRICTED ZONE ON JANUARY 30 0800 CST. ALL INGEN SECURITY STAFF PLEASE BE ON STANDBY T
O ASSIST.

TO: [UNDISCLOSED RECIPIENT]
DATE: 05/17/2013 0955 CST
SUBJECT: HELP
MESSAGE: THEIR PACK DYNAMIC IS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN WE FIRST THOUGHT AND I'M STARTING TO THINK YO
U'RE NOT WEIGHING UP THE GRAVITY OF THAT. WE CANNOT BURY OUR HEADS IN THE SAND AND HOPE FOR THE BEST WI
TH THIS, SO I'M GOING TO NEED SOME HELP. I HAVE AN OLD FRIEND IN FRANCE, BARRY, WHO CAN ASSIST. I'LL SE
ND HIM YOUR NUMBER TO INTRODUCE YOU. IF WE'RE TO STUDY THESE ANIMALS AND LEARN HOW THEY WORK THEN WE SH
OULDN'T ASSUME TO GAIN THEIR CO-OPERATION WITH JUST A FEW SNACKS. REMEMBER, THEY CAN TALK TO EACH OTHER
. JUST A TIP, VIC.

But this one...

TO: [UNDISCLOSED RECIPIENT]
DATE: 10/23/1999 0005 CST
SUBJECT: JURASSIC PLOP
MESSAGE: I'M DISSATISFIED WITH THE NAME. 'PARK' FEELS SMALL, TOO 1980'S, NOT TO MENTION IT HAS A LOT OF
WEIGHT AND BAD PRESS AROUND IT. I'VE BEEN SCRIBBLING NOTES ON MY FLIGHTS COMING UP WITH POSSIBLE TITLE
S, AND I'M THINKING 'WORLD'. WELCOME TO 'JURASSIC WORLD'! THOUGHTS? OTHERS IDEAS INCLUDED ... JURASSIC
ISLAND, THE LOST WORLD, PREHISTORIC WORLD, JURASSIC LAND, DINO ISLAND, CRETASIA ISLAND, ROAMING REPTILE
S, DINOSPHERE, ... GIANT CHICKEN ISLAND?

judhudson

If I were to look into buying a Jeep to do this with, any advice? Also, what would it run me (just the Jeep - assuming it's in good shape)?

1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara if you want to get screen accurate, otherwise any Jeep Wrangler with Soft Top / Half Doors from 87-95 will work. Mine is a 1990. I paid $4200 for mine, but they can range from 3 grand to around 7 grand.

This site has lots of information and helpful tips if you want to check it out and read more before you begin hunting.

http://www.jurassicjeep.com/reference/buying-a-jeep-for-jurassic-park/

Jawmuncher

So should this information correlate to JW2 or is it just some left overs they had. Which we can have fun with? I don't recall if Spielberg accepted the treatment idea for 2.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I got the limited one in the mail and the round tin packaging is complete dog shit. But I'm happy with the statue.

I'm considering getting the regular blu ray and selling the tin. Anazon's stock photo of the 3D one doesn't even have a slip cover anymore (companies getting stingy!) so I might check out Target or something.

I'm considering getting the regular blu ray and selling the tin. Anazon's stock photo of the 3D one doesn't even have a slip cover anymore (companies getting stingy!) so I might check out Target or something.

Yeah I ordered a second copy from Barnes and Noble in hopes of getting the four posters which was an exclusive, so I'll probably just keep the tin in the shrinkwrap for collection purposes. You're supposed to take it out and just use the tin, but you can't shelve it as it's circular and wouldn't stand up right. Which... just sucks, bizarre design choice.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I ordered a second copy from Barnes and Noble in hopes of getting the four posters which was an exclusive, so I'll probably just keep the tin in the shrinkwrap for collection purposes. You're supposed to take it out and just use the tin, but you can't shelve it as it's circular and wouldn't stand up right. Which... just sucks, bizarre design choice.

Yeah I'm totally not a fan of oblong video shapes. Plus it looks silly beside my trilogy, since I won't be getting the other tins.

Yeah I'm totally not a fan of oblong video shapes. Plus it looks silly beside my trilogy, since I won't be getting the other tins.

Because this is attractive

I really don't know what to do with it. If you take it out, that tin will never fit inside the cardboard part like ever again and I don't just want the tin lying around because it won't fit in my shelf. And I wouldn't want to discard the cardboard part because I'm anal.

Brofield

Limited Edition statues just arrived from Amazon today, they have a good weight to them and the detail is great, but personally I think I might like the T. Rex statue that came with the blu ray Jurassic Park trilogy a few years ago is nicer

Jurassic-Park-ultimate-trilogy(1).jpg

Whattt.. that JP3D statue is awful.
I still own it.

The JW statue set is really nice IMO:

1sOV3r9.jpg

PGX7ovo.jpg

GissWcI.jpg

I love that the Rex has her scars, and that the bases are magnetic.

Top Bottom