• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and their awful refund policy (PSN issue)

Lonnie413

Could be like my friend, has his apartment broken into and they bought $500 plus on his PSN account because you know the first thing you think of when you get robbed is "oh shit, my PlayStation account!". They refunded his money, but they banned hs PSN account.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Could be like my friend, has his apartment broken into and they bought $500 plus on his PSN account because you know the first thing you think of when you get robbed is "oh shit, my PlayStation account!". They refunded his money, but they banned hs PSN account.

The first thing I think of is police report and canceling my credit cards. Especially if the PS4 or PC is missing and not password protected.

Piercator

Banned
Few years ago I purchased a game via PSN and the file was corrupted. I tried downloading several times, rebuilt data base and all. Nothing worked.
Then I reached PS customer service explaining the problem and asking for a refund. They were like "You're quite lucky that we're refunding your order. We don't refund, so this is a huge exception."

wtf

Shahed

Few years ago I purchased a game via PSN and the file was corrupted. I tried downloading several times, rebuilt data base and all. Nothing worked.
Then I reached PS customer service explaining the problem and asking for a refund. They were like "You're quite lucky that we're refunding your order. We don't refund, so this is a huge exception."

wtf

Seriously? A huge exception to refund a game that doesn't even boot up? What game was it?

Shahed

So they said wait a few days and someone should be in touch. It's been a week now with no response so I gave them a call. Despite quoting a reference number the agent had no clue what was going on and I had to explain everything all over again. I got the same line about Sony never doing refunds as it's their policy and that because of this the previous agent never even saw the need to process a refund request so no action has even been taken

I was pretty annoyed and insisted on talking to a supervisor. She said that they can't process a refund because I downloaded the film. Now I never downloaded and pressed No when the option to do so was on the Vita. I asked what system it was downloaded to, and she said Sony considered something downloaded at the moment of purchase and not when I download it, so since I've already downloaded it according to policy, means no refund. And then said if I'm not happy with that then I shouldn't have agreed to the Terms of Service. What the heck?

Now funnily enough while she was insisting on the whole no refund thing, I logged into the webstore to check something about the Film that was bought. And the film was no longer on my download list or Transaction History, and the money had already been refunded to my account. This despite the previous agent stating no action had been taking because there was no need, and the supervisor insisting no refund would be given because it's my own fault for agreeing to their terms.

Now obviously I'm happy in the end I got my refund and it wasn't a lot of work either. A quick email followed by a 10 minute phone call last week sorted it. But it paints Sony's Customer Service in a weird light. I got my refund, but no call or email to let me know. When I called just before to chase up on the situation, the agent at first had no idea what i was talking about despite me quoting an existing record, said no work was being done, and his supervisor adamant no refund should be given in those circumstances. And all of that despite the fact I had already gotten my refund! I mean do the different departments or agents have no idea what anyone else is doing or have a proper way to log incidents?

JeTmAn81

Just ran into this myself recently. I give my almost 2-year-old daughter my Vita to play with sometimes, and she ended up signing up for a year of PS+ for $50. I don't want PS+ and I definitely don't have $50 to waste on something I don't want so I asked for a refund. They told me the money would be refunded back to my credit card, so I then took my billing info off my account so it couldn't happen again.

I gave the Vita to her again yesterday, knowing that she couldn't buy anything without the billing info saved. Somehow she ended up buying a movie! How could she do that? Turns out there was still $50 worth of wallet funds in there. They never refunded my money to my credit card like they said they would.

Of course I bring this up with me and there is no recognition of the fact that their representative lied to me previously, and now the transaction's over a month old so they refuse to refund it because of its age. It wouldn't be "too old" if you'd done what you said you would in the first place Sony! I guess that teaches me to let these jokers have my credit card info given their track record of mismanaging their customers' info and anti-consumer digital content policies. How long will they keep getting away with this? My chat log with them is listed below.

Hector: Hello, My name is Hector how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello, my child made a purchase without my knowledge and I'd like to refund it
Hector: I understand that there was an unauthorized purchase made by your child in your PSN account, JeTmAn81; don't worry, I'll do my best to assist you with this refund request.
Me: There's another issue as well
Me: This actually happened before. My child signed up for a year of playstation plus without my knowledge at a cost of $49.99. at that time i was told i would receive a refund back to my credit card. i also took my credit card/billing info off my account so my daughter couldnt accidentally buy something again
Me: so thats why i was confused as to how she bought something again. turns out that $50 was still in my wallet and was not refunded to me credit card, so it ended up using those wallet funds
Hector: I see, I can see that the refund was completed back on
May 3, 2016. After that purchase there is a new purchase for Triple 9 content for $4.99, is that the purchase that was made without your knowledge JeTmAn81?
Me: That's right
Hector: In this case we can submit a refund for this transaction, according to the User Agreement all sales are final. However, I will submit your refund request for review. Please keep in mind that if refund is approved it will be done as onetime gesture of goodwill and funds will be returned to your wallet.
Hector: Please allow 3-5 business days for your refund request to be processed. You will be notified via email once it is complete. Is the Sign in ID on your PSN account a valid email address?
Me: Yes it is
Me: I was told my funds would be refunded to my credit card originally, not my playstation wallet. will that happen?
Hector: Yes, the funds will be refunded back to the PSN wallet.
Me: i dont want them on the wallet. i want a refund to my credit card. i don't want $50 locked up on the playstation store that i probably won't spend!
Hector: I can see that the previous refund request for PS Plus was returned back to the PSN wallet, not the credit card JeTmAn81.
Me: i don't have anything i want to spend that money on, and i cant transfer it. it's basically not a real refund if it doesn't go back to my credit card. i'm very disappointed in sony's handling of this
Hector: I'm sorry for this situation JeTmAn81, I was trying to see if it's possible to refund the PS Plus transaction back to the credit card but it seems that it will not be possible since the transaction is not recent, however, we can submit the funds to go back to the credit card for the Triple 9 purchase, from our end will take the same time frame, 3 to 5 business days, it can take from 1 - 2 billing cycles to reflect the funds back in your bank account.
Me: but i was told that it would be refunded to my credit card when i originally reported this issue. it's not my fault that the transaction is no longer recent. one of your representatives lied to me when he said it would go back on the credit card!
Hector: I see your point if it was possible we'll be glad to return this to the credit card but we are not able to do it at this point JeTmAn81, I'm really sorry for this.
Hector: Would you still like the refund for the Triple 9 purchase?
Me: That's not an acceptable answer. This is pretty ridiculous. There's no reason to act like it's so difficult to do a simple refund. This is very anti-consumer. Yes I still want a refund for Triple 9.
Hector: Ok. Your refund request has been sent under case #xxx, this is for you to have it as a reference.
Hector: Beside this, is there anything else I can assist you with?
Me: I have not been assisted with the real issue but I guess there's nothing more that you will do so that's all.
Hector: Our sincere apologies since the resolution is not the one you wanted, also, we recommend to enable the password on check out feature, that way the psn password before confirming a purchase.
Hector: If nothing else, thank you for contacting PlayStation Chat Support! Take care and have a nice day. Good bye!

I've only ever asked for a refund from Sony once and they did it no questions asked. I'd pre-ordered Hitman to play the beta and forgot to cancel. Didn't realise until 2 days after the game came out. Called them up, had a refund within 5 minutes.

Top Bottom