• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serrels with the balls to admit to pirating on a huge newspaper. Pretty admirable.

I wouldn't even admit to pirating here.

Trouble is if they want to make an example out of him he could screw up his financial life and or literally be in prison for some time. It's a very stupid move by him IMO. He could literally be taken to task for inciting an already out of hand populace to pirate more. It's not a well received perspective from the eyes of content creators, lawyers or the law enforcers.

I agree Foxtel and paywalls are pretty shite but that's capitalism for you.

Also this just in...my son is going to play in AFL Auskick at the MCG again tonight, and at a tigers game! Hoorah! We both follow the Tiges.

Fredescu

It's a very stupid move by him IMO.

So was that time he went EB for their treatment of their employees. And the next time he did it when things didn't improve. And the time he went Foxtel before this. And the countless other times he cared far more about justice and the truth than his own self preservation. Me, I'll be cowering in the corner with the smart people allowing my life to be dictated by those who were born to rule over me.

Garage sales are funny. I sit here for ages and nobody comes by, then I suddenly get three or four customers all at once. They also buy the most random things. One guy walked away with a stack of ten Terry Pratchett books and a bike pump.

If anyone is in the Springfield Lakes area and interested in looking through my stuff, let me know and I'll PM you the address.

I am forever astounded that I NEVER see garage sales around the Wollongong area, back down the coast I'd see a handful just driving around on the weekend.

dity

For anyone that owns an iPhone SE: Officeworks still sells the good quality leather Apple-made iPhone 5s cases from yonks ago. Haven't seen them at retail anywhere else.

*edit:

Here's a pic of my new bunny, Beans:

HOvMPvL.jpg

Rizzi

For anyone that owns an iPhone SE: Officeworks still sells the good quality leather Apple-made iPhone 5s cases from yonks ago. Haven't seen them at retail anywhere else.

*edit:

Here's a pic of my new bunny, Beans:

Aaaaaaaw. It's so cute and fluffy!

oooooh I wish we could have rabbits up here in QLD >< yours is so cute.

Anyway, here's a picture of my dog Taffy at Christmas. He really, really likes Christmas.

0nD6cqv.jpg

dity

Yeah, there were no breeders in my area. I had to drive 1.5 hours to get to a reputable breeder.

In a way I'm not surprised there's not much bunny stuff in QLD. It's like, rabbits get more popular the further you go south. Most rabbit stuff I saw online was in Victoria.

And that's a cuute doggie!

Turns out I didn't have this thread subscribed. It did seem too quiet.

Saw Civil War last night and it is indeed as fantastic as you've probably already heard. As good as Winter Soldier, if not better. So many great things to mention but can't without spoiling.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Turns out I didn't have this thread subscribed. It did seem too quiet.

Saw Civil War last night and it is indeed as fantastic as you've probably already heard. As good as Winter Soldier, if not better. So many great things to mention but can't without spoiling.
I wanna go see it but don't know when I'll have the time ):

Deeku

i know man, last night was crazy!

but i guess nothing more has happened yet....

though i'm totally not a fan of the breakup/ last album theory:(

So was that time he went EB for their treatment of their employees. And the next time he did it when things didn't improve. And the time he went Foxtel before this. And the countless other times he cared far more about justice and the truth than his own self preservation. Me, I'll be cowering in the corner with the smart people allowing my life to be dictated by those who were born to rule over me.

I like his articles for the most part. The EB stuff I congratulate him for, respect and solid work. Pirating a show, breaking the law and making yourself a poster child over TV entertainment that you could just literally wait for isn't what I'd call heroic. Staying out of jail and not being fined into a life of poverty > being a hero for a show or pirates.

I don't understand how that is cowardly, it's common sense. My life isn't dictated at all over a show I can't watch immediately mate. Hyperbole? I'll leave justice out there for killers and serious topics.

EDIT: I think I'm confused if your last sentence is a dig at me or just putting yourself in the same position as me. Anyhow not trashing you either way mate.

Fredescu

I like his articles for the most part. The EB stuff I congratulate him for, respect and solid work. Pirating a show, breaking the law and making yourself a poster child over TV entertainment that you could just literally wait for isn't what I'd call heroic. Staying out of jail and not being fined into a life of poverty > being a hero for a show or pirates.

I don't understand how that is cowardly, it's common sense. My life isn't dictated at all over a show I can't watch immediately mate. Hyperbole? I'll leave justice out there for killers and serious topics.

If you're heavily active on social media, especially when it's a job requirement, "just waiting" for a popular TV show is just an unrealistic argument. When you're paying for a show like that, you're paying to experience the "events". Having those events spoiled for you reduces the impact and therefore the enjoyment. This is the key point that people have tried to get across about piracy, that we have a distribution problem. The more clear arguments in the mainstream pointing this out, the better.

The likelyhood that he gets even the slightest of slaps of the wrist is remote, so lets not judge each others hyperbole too harshly. No ones going to jail for this.

EDIT: I think I'm confused if your last sentence is a dig at me or just putting yourself in the same position as me. Anyhow not trashing you either way mate.

Both really. A dig at anyone not actively involved in activism, myself included.

Jintor

steam got it ages ago. piracy isn't something you can solve by shaming/moralising people into behaving. it's like trying to get water to stop running downhill.

SNIP - The likelyhood that he gets even the slightest of slaps of the wrist is remote, so lets not judge each others hyperbole too harshly. No ones going to jail for this.

Both really. A dig at anyone not actively involved in activism, myself included.

I hope nothing happens to him but shit it's a real possibility Foxtel or USA distributor lawyers could make a very public example of him if they were so inclined. He's got a public soapbox so he's not just a home pirate with a minimised fine, which have been fined directly en masse before in Aus.

That clears that up. Cheers.

Fredescu

Yeah, I think it's slightly easier with video games because it's a newer industry. Big pubs are less entrenched in The Way it Was Always done.

Pirating a show, breaking the law and making yourself a poster child over TV entertainment that you could just literally wait for isn't what I'd call heroic. Staying out of jail and not being fined into a life of poverty > being a hero for a show or pirates.

lololololol he ain't getting fined or taken to jail, no one is, haven't you noticed that yet?

The point of highlighting how fucking hard it is to actually pay for what you want is to help the companies improve their service and get more customers.

lololololol he ain't getting fined or taken to jail, no one is, haven't you noticed that yet?

The point of highlighting how fucking hard it is to actually pay for what you want is to help the companies improve their service and get more customers.

I think there is a difference between a home pirate, as you say they aren't being chased or fined or jailed, and Serrell with a public soapbox promoting piracy. For example the fines from old VHS days where home copiers didn't get chased but large scale organised pirates were taken to task with far larger fines and jail sentences.

I'd just hate to see Serrell doing the morally right thing and end up on the shit side of a corporate reaction with his higher up the food chain exposure.

I agree there's a distribution and timing issue with the whole thing though.

Cerity

bulk on a 5s/SE lol. I've been selling 6+ otterboxes recently, people may as well be carrying around 7" tablets.

So is iiNet always so terrible?

Called them March 17th to get an internet connection at my new house, first day they could book me in was April 19th.

A few days beforehand they delay it to the 30th.

On the 30th, no one shows up.

I call them, they say they've passed my details to the setup department and I'll get a call.

No one calls until today (the 2nd), and my call is about them coming to set it up and no one being home. No fucking shit if you arrive two days late with no prior notice.

So I call iiNet again and am told they'll reschedule me and the next available date is the 30th(!!!) of this month. Told them that was ridiculous because it's 100% their fault and the lady just didn't give a fuck and said it's another department that does the setup.

So I got the number for the setup department and the wait on hold is over an hour when I have to be back at work in 20 mins.
Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

If they can't bump me up to set it up ASAP I'll just cancel and go with someone else. This is insane.

Like, I want to give them my money but it'll have been over two months to even get it connected, assuming they even turn up to the next appointment.

jambo

Sister-in-law had similar issues with iiNet recently.

Exact same thing of the connection date being bumped, always to the end of the month.

She ended up cancelling and going with another ISP who could get it done within a week or so.

TPG are really fucking up Internode and iiNet =[

Yeah I'm still waiting on them to transfer my mobile number from my prepaid Telstra service to their cheap mobile plan. It's been longer than 3 days now; it's really fucking up my communication needs. Their internet plan is still good.

What other ISPs are recommended?

I was going with iiNet as they can give me a cable connection here in Geelong. Still not getting NBN in my area for some time.

Shaneus

What other ISPs are recommended?

I was going with iiNet as they can give me a cable connection here in Geelong. Still not getting NBN in my area for some time.
I was on cable with iiNet (formerly TransACT, formerly Neighbourhood Cable) and never had any complaints whatsoever. Then I moved into another rental where it's a pain to get HFC installed (it's at the rear of a block of four units) and now I'm on shitty ADSL2+ :/

Quasar

Heh. I'm in a fibre area and still can't be bothered. I just think it's too expensive for a fairly minimal change to my internet lifestyle. Plus all the congestion chatter has me not raving to sign up.

dity

So is iiNet always so terrible?

Called them March 17th to get an internet connection at my new house, first day they could book me in was April 19th.

A few days beforehand they delay it to the 30th.

On the 30th, no one shows up.

I call them, they say they've passed my details to the setup department and I'll get a call.

No one calls until today (the 2nd), and my call is about them coming to set it up and no one being home. No fucking shit if you arrive two days late with no prior notice.

So I call iiNet again and am told they'll reschedule me and the next available date is the 30th(!!!) of this month. Told them that was ridiculous because it's 100% their fault and the lady just didn't give a fuck and said it's another department that does the setup.

So I got the number for the setup department and the wait on hold is over an hour when I have to be back at work in 20 mins.
Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

If they can't bump me up to set it up ASAP I'll just cancel and go with someone else. This is insane.

Like, I want to give them my money but it'll have been over two months to even get it connected, assuming they even turn up to the next appointment.

My experiences with iiNet/Internode and Telstra have taught me all ISPs are awful, you're in it for the network connection itself.

You don't go with an ISP for the personality. You go with an ISP for the sex.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I've just got some wireless wifi thing from Optus. 50gb for $70 is pretty steep but I can take it anywhere easily and don't have to worry about landlines. It's considerably faster than my parents connection with Telstra. Idk.

dity

Heh. I'm in a fibre area and still can't be bothered. I just think it's too expensive for a fairly minimal change to my internet lifestyle. Plus all the congestion chatter has me not raving to sign up.

This post makes me physically sick.

Cerity

I've just got some wireless wifi thing from Optus. 50gb for $70 is pretty steep but I can take it anywhere easily and don't have to worry about landlines. It's considerably faster than my parents connection with Telstra. Idk.

these are pretty neat, I use a 4g modem whenever my own internet goes down, which is pretty often. Just bought a voda deal that will more or less give me 29gb for $72 with a 365 day expiry.

Card Boy

Banned
I find it hilarious that every gaming section in stores has like 60 copies of Tearaway Unfolded. I know there is almost 4000 copies of it nationwide at one retailer alone.

Remaster no one asked for.

I find it hilarious that every gaming section in stores has like 60 copies of Tearaway Unfolded. I know there is almost 4000 copies of it nationwide at one retailer alone.

Remaster no one asked for.

Yeah, bit saddening tbh. Noticed this myself at shellharbour Target they still have a bunch of the edition with the plush for $20. Game's fine, just not marketable apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom