• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ Switch absence isn't due to tech, open to port if fan interest

Neoxon

I didn't see that in the article, is that from a different one?
Mass_Pincup summarized it in English.
Basically:

-They wanted to reach a broad audience with Xenoverse 1 and 2 and are now trying to convert the more casual player into fans of 2D fighting games

-They couldn't do something as close as the anime before because of a lack of power. The XB1, PS4 and PC allow them to do that now

-They simplified the control scheme compared to the usual Arc System Works games to accommodate casual gamers, but the 3 vs 3 and the assists system is meant to cater to the hardcore

-The team based combat is a way for them to balance the different power level, everyone has advantages and inconveniences

-Transformation are tied to specific attacks. Goku for exemple won't be able to turn SSJ3 in the middle of a fight and stay that way. It'll be temporary

-They wanted every character to be unique so expect less characters then in Xenoverse

-Characters are most likely going to come from different eras

-Alternative color costumes aren't planned because it changes the hitbox, might be added later on if there's enough support for it

-They're focused on the gameplay and the multiplayer but there's going to be a story mode as well as more modes outside of those

- Higher resolution for the Pro and the X1X

-No cross play but if there's enough support for it they'll consider it

-No power limitation to get it working on the Switch, If they keep seeing fan interest for it they'll maybe release a Switch version down the road

Really it's going to depend on how Xenoverse 2 does. I think the last DBZ fighter on a Nintendo console was Tenkaichi 3 on Wii. Do the 3DS games sell sell?

KingBroly

Banned
It'd probably be XB1/Switch/PC if we get a Switch port.

I feel like this benefits Switch/PC the most. $20 online for Switch but you get portability or $0 online for PC with better graphics.

I'd buy FighterZ on Switch...if it were there Day 1 or had all of the DLC when they released it

I misread, my apologizes. I thought it said that the lack of power was the issue.

It's not worth it then, how about that. I'd feel the same way if I were them. But then, I'd probably jump on while the fad is hot.

A fad that's been going on for almost 130 years. You can stop pretending.

Agree...but how many times we read nintendo fans claiming "I don't buy Nintendo consoles to play third party games, only for Nintendo exclusives"?

It's the Never-ending story.
Well I myself never did that, especially not for their handhelds. I only ever avoid third party titles when they don't interest me or offer a compromised version of the game, which is probably what most people do, unless they think there are only Nintendo games on Nintendo systems

Mass_Pincup summarized it in English.

Yeah sorry, just read it, my translate wasn't working but it all of a sudden just did.

Cool. I guess it's time for fans to get loud.

Hopefully when Minecraft hits it pushes Sony over the edge and it makes it easier to get crossplay for any game that wants it.

Instro

Agree...but how many times we read nintendo fans claiming "I don't buy Nintendo consoles to play third party games, only for Nintendo exclusives"?

It's the Never-ending story.

I think it's fair to say that many Nintendo fans are multi console or PC owners these days. There's not a lot of people that are willing to plunk down for an inferior version of a non-exclusive title. I do think the portability aspect can be a nice mitigating factor on that front though.

killatopak

Gold Member
their game isn't even out on the Switch yet. I doubt they'll be able to port in on time. Maybe 6 months to a year later.

I think it's fair to say that many Nintendo fans are multi console or PC owners these days. There's not a lot of people that are willing to plunk down for an inferior version of a non-exclusive title. I do think the portability aspect can be a nice mitigating factor on that front though.

This pretty much. I have a gaming PC, but I'd rather have portable versions of most non-MMOs as long as the game doesn't look that bad in comparison.

With the WiiU on the other hand why would I buy a version of a game that's worse than the PC port in almost every way? The same reasoning applies to why I wouldn't buy multiplats on PS3/PS4 too.

Trace

Banned
I'd probably double-dip if they made a FighterZ switch port with all the DLC down the line.

Only if I can get a joycon with a proper dpad tho.

I'd love to see this on switch tbh, a great fighting game on the go is always welcome for me and i'd double dip for this and PC.

Trace

Banned
It should have been announced at the very least... We know that the switch is here to stay.

Way too early to call that. It's selling well now but are third party games going to sell well on it? We don't have any data on that yet once the console gets past the launch window, where certain third party games have been selling because the console is pretty game starved ATM.

Amani

Considering I have a a bunch of hyper fighters and SNK fighters on my old PSP and Vita, hell yes I'd like a Switch version.

Terrell

Are they having a laugh?

Seriously like what's the point in skipping it in the first place then!?

This is what I've been trying to figure out for some time now.

The publisher thinks the IP has an audience proven by Xenoverse 2 being ported.
The developer thinks there's a fighting game market by releasing a BlazBlue game.
There's no technical impediment by their own admission.

Probably only enough time/money for the announced versions

If they see demand they might do it once the game is released

when they got time and money coming in from sales

Yeah, best I can figure, it's a money/staffing issue. But even still, why ask fans to BEG for it when all of these factors considered together means that there's evidence of a market for the game already?

It just doesn't add up to anything that makes sense.

Eh, I'm not interested in a compromised port.

What gives you the impression it would have to be?

That's silly though. You dont gauge the popularity of a game with the sales of a less popular one.

Also, Bamco is being dumb here, with Xenoverse 2 being greenlit and still developped while no one cares anymore instead of putting the new game.

Yeah, again, something's missing from the picture, because this makes ZERO sense. Any possible argument you could have for a 3rd-party not to release a game seems to be dealt with already.

Nanashrew

Banned
Snake Pass is a surprisingly intense game despite it's simple mechanics and simple look. You need a very good PC if you want to run it well.

ramparter

Banned
I'm sure 3rd parties feel the same way about Nintendo.

Give them a system powerful enough to port to and they will produce content for them. Other wise, have fun with Mario.

It's not about power whether you want to understand this or not. And I'm not talking just DBFZ. We are talking about publishers, not developers, they will sell ice over internet if people are willing to buy it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it was obvious since the beginning that it isn't a tech-issue
fact is: they need to sell Xenovere 2 first to the Switch audience

Few third parties are even going to bother releasing on a Nintendo console, especially one with severe production issues. Any word on how many Switches Nintendo is able to produce a month?

More than the PS4 and Xbox One are selling at this moment in time and enough to make it the fastest selling Nintendo console in history in many markets.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What the hell happened in this thread? The subject is just about possibility of the port, without anything about technical reasoning, but you get garbage posts about power and garbage like "Switch sales". What's up with the console-warrior-ing, I thought E3 is over.

I'll be getting this for my PC but I will still support a Switch release.

Terrell

So fucking tired of "please beg for it" publishers.

Japanese publishers will never stop thinking that we should be on our knees praying to them like good little serfs, only to be annoyed by being pestered night and day for the things we were told to ask for like they inevitably do.

deleted

Point me in the general direction of a Twitter Account or a something to sign and I'll do it.

I'll buy it on PC if it doesn't come out on Switch, but I love playing fighting games in local MP and this would most likely happen a lot more with the Switch.

The game looks pretty amazing and a lot like the dream DB game I always wanted after Hyper Dimension on SNES.

Terrell

Point me in the general direction of a Twitter Account or a something to sign and I'll do it.

I'll buy it on PC if it doesn't come out on Switch, but I love playing fighting games in local MP and this would most likely happen a lot more with the Switch.

The game looks pretty amazing and a lot like the dream DB game I always wanted after Hyper Dimension on SNES.

This tweet from someone in the DBZ fan community seems to be getting a fair bit of traction, perhaps re-tweet that like they suggest?

https://twitter.com/saiyanisland/status/876579867013386241

jts

...hate me...
I feel like many devs were caught pants in hand by the success of the platform and were just not including the Switch in their original releases roadmap for "consoles". Because consoles mean for them Xbox and PS. Even after agreements for support with specific titles (ports) at launch.

So then they are like "oh yeah so the Switch is actually a thing after all right? well if people want it...".

deleted

But it's using a different (worse AA solution), and misses some other visual elements right?

It looks pretty horrendous in portable mode.

It was also ported really fast to make the day1 release with a smallish team.

I'm sure that close to a year of porting could make whole lot of difference here. Not 1:1 of course, but with a look at Yoshi 2018 which is also running in UE4, there is still a lot of wiggle room for ports it seems.

No reason that 720p60fps shouldn't be possible with the output the studio managed on UE3 on PS3 and how fighting games are often quite efficient with hardware.

-MB-

If you treat a fanbase as 2nd class, you can expect them to not start giving a shit about your output in due time. It isn't rocket science.
If you wanjt success, treat them like you treat everyone else.

Top Bottom