• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers lineup for tomorrow night:

FORWARDS
Miller
Hayes
Farnham
Nieves
Vesey
Carey
Grabner
Desharnais
Fontaine
Chytil
Buchnevich
Lettieri

DEFENSEMEN
Smith
Pionk
Kampfer
Graves
Skjei
DeAngelo

GOALTENDERS
Pavelec
Halverson

Lias Andersson is conspicuously absent from this list. Otherwise the lineup is pretty lean on regulars, heavy on guys with one last chance to show they belong.

At first I questioned the burgundy outline on the letters, but it has grown on me. The team may be bad, but the jerseys are actually good again.

Ondor

Banned
Rangers lineup for tomorrow night:

FORWARDS
Miller
Hayes
Farnham
Nieves
Vesey
Carey
Grabner
Desharnais
Fontaine
Chytil
Buchnevich
Lettieri

DEFENSEMEN
Smith
Pionk
Kampfer
Graves
Skjei
DeAngelo

GOALTENDERS
Pavelec
Halverson

Lias Andersson is conspicuously absent from this list. Otherwise the lineup is pretty lean on regulars, heavy on guys with one last chance to show they belong.
Meta, I don't watch your team and I've never particularly liked your team. But your in-depth updates of the Rangers have made me strangely and deeply invested in your team's future. One of my favourite parts of NHLGAF👌

Damn didn't actually expect to get that many responses to my last post lol.

I thought being a Jets fan is the reason you think less of me :p

no, we love you <3

Daww.

100% depends on whether or not you like the same team as I do

The Leafs aren't the most hateable team in Canada so there's that.

Canes going to town on Edmonton like it's 2006, woot!

Please don't remind me of that.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Preds are down to 27 players. Most interesting thing to note is that 19-year-old D Samuel Girard is still with the team, and is by many accounts NHL-ready. With Ellis immediately headed to IR, there's speculation that Nashville is going to keep Girard on the team rather than send him back to QMJHL.

I admittedly haven't paid much attention to Girard's play, but anything to hasten Bitetto's departure is fine by me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Meta, I don't watch your team and I've never particularly liked your team. But your in-depth updates of the Rangers have made me strangely and deeply invested in your team's future. One of my favourite parts of NHLGAF&#128076;

Thanks, I do what I can. Somebody's got to balance out all these weird Canadians.

It's an interesting time to be following the Rangers. We're trying to basically do a full team reboot while simultaneously trying to stay in realistic Cup contention. It's a tenuous balancing act. We could surprise a lot of people and end up near the top of the East. We could end up in the draft lottery. Both are probably equally realistic possible results for this season.

I probably should have also mentioned in that post that Nick Holden was also conspicuous by his absence from tomorrow's roster. He didn't play tonight either, and I think he's only shown up in 2 preseason games. He'll be the only supposed regular on the defense to not play in the last two games of the preseason as well. Maybe a sign he's on the way out?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Canes lookin' so good.

Can't wait for the season to start!

Also reminder about the NHL GAF Fantasy Pool. Draft is this Sunday at 1:30 PM EST.

Quote for the invitation link.

Thanks, I do what I can. Somebody's got to balance out all these weird Canadians.

It's an interesting time to be following the Rangers. We're trying to basically do a full team reboot while simultaneously trying to stay in realistic Cup contention. It's a tenuous balancing act. We could surprise a lot of people and end up near the top of the East. We could end up in the draft lottery. Both are probably equally realistic possible results for this season.

I probably should have also mentioned in that post that Nick Holden was also conspicuous by his absence from tomorrow's roster. He didn't play tonight either, and I think he's only shown up in 2 preseason games. He'll be the only supposed regular on the defense to not play in the last two games of the preseason as well. Maybe a sign he's on the way out?

Don't you have to be moving your high profile players put for it to be considered any sort of meaningful overhaul?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Sportscenter this morning and the NHL and its players look so pathetic compared to the NBA and NFL's response (except for Wheeler).

Lebron>>>>>>>>Crosby

Basketball is still terrible though

Edit: lol at CBs white hats comment :)

DKnRsL2UIAEtsHi.jpg
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/912491828896600064

Burn it all down

Line_HTX

Yeah, well E3 has been going down the shitter for a while now. Everyone's doing their own events / directs / pressers, like seriously, what company even needs E3 anymore?

PSX is going to be way better than that piece of shit anyway.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you have to be moving your high profile players put for it to be considered any sort of meaningful overhaul?

They don't ALL have to go. And it's an on-going process. Keep in mind that Rick Nash is probably going to be gone by season's end, and there's no guarantee that Marc Staal even makes this team in the first place (although he probably will).

That would leave basically only Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, and Chris Kreider as the only really long tenured Rangers left. Out of those four, McDonagh and Zuccarello will be in contract years next season, and McDonagh's asking price is going to be huge. Maybe too huge. And the fact is that Shestyorkin has been pegged as Hank's likely successor for a couple of years now, and I think he's about 1-2 years away from making the jump over to apprentice under Lundqvist and Allaire (could be as soon as next season, considering Pavelec is only on a one year deal), so the clock is ticking on Hank's time, too.

The team may be completely unrecognizable from the team that went to the Stanley Cup Final 3 years ago in about 2-3 years.

Solo

I said it earlier in the offseason but I still believe it to be true - don't see the Habs making the playoffs this year. Worse offense and worse defense than last year, and last year's team overachieved in the regular season.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Puerto Rico better PAY UP or they're FIRED. They're just brown people anyway, no way those are real Americans.

Now back to what really matters, how much the NFL sucks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I said it earlier in the offseason but I still believe it to be true - don't see the Habs making the playoffs this year. Worse offense and worse defense than last year, and last year's team overachieved in the regular season.

If this scenario happens what do you think the fallout will be with Bargainbin/Julien/etc.?

One more chance or wholesale changes?

Socreges

Banned
You're crazy. They'll actually ice more talent at forward this year than last season, even with Radulov's departure.

Out : King, Desharnais, Ott, Flynn, Radulov

In : Hudon, Hemsky, Holland, McCarron, Drouin

Solo

You're crazy. They'll actually ice more talent at forward this year than last season, even with Radulov's departure.

King, Ott, Flynn, Desharnais were nothings. I guess you could say addition by subtraction.

Hudon is unproven as fuck despite a good preseason, Hemsky could fall apart at a moment's notice, Holland and McCarron are busts.

Radulov and Drouin cancel each other out. This is the only that really bothers me. Drouin was supposed to be a great ADD to Radulov. Instead we lost him and instead of Drouin being a complementary piece, he's now a replacement one.

And then we let Markov walk away. RIP offensive defensemen in Montreal.

imBask

Banned

you're overrating McCarron, Holland and Hemsky in that equation. McCarron is actual garbage, just absolute trash. Radulov was the one spark in our offense for most of last year... Drouin and Hudon sure, but they've yet to prove they can take that spot

Also Plekanec is older, Galchenyuk is sulking, Lekhonen could be a one hit wonder (doubt it), Byron probably overdelivered, Gallagher is banged up and slowing down, etc etc...
our offense is 90% ifs and maybes

Our defense got way worse than our offense tho that's undeniable. If only we had some kind of offensive, puck carrying dman

Socreges

Banned
King, Ott, Flynn, Desharnais were nothings. I guess you could say addition by subtraction.

Hudon is unproven as fuck despite a good preseason, Hemsky could fall apart at a moment's notice, Holland and McCarron are busts.

Radulov and Drouin cancel each other out. This is the only that really bothers me. Drouin was supposed to be a great ADD to Radulov. Instead we lost him and instead of Drouin being a complementary piece, he's now a replacement one.

And then we let Markov walk away. RIP offensive defensemen in Montreal.
you're overrating McCarron, Holland and Hemsky in that equation. McCarron is actual garbage, just absolute trash. Radulov was the one spark in our offense for most of last year... Drouin and Hudon sure, but they've yet to prove they can take that spot

Also Plekanec is older, Galchenyuk is sulking, Lekhonen could be a one hit wonder (doubt it), Byron probably overdelivered, Gallagher is banged up and slowing down, etc etc...
our offense is 90% ifs and maybes

Our defense got way worse than our offense tho that's undeniable. If only we had some kind of offensive, puck carrying dman
You both make excellent points. I concede everything.

And you hope that Drouin cancels out the loss of Radulov. I think he will in the future and then some, but this season is uncertain. Radulov was especially a beast in the playoffs.

Solo

Exactly. I didn't even get into mentioning Gallagher's regression/physical falling apart (although to be fair, he looked like his old self at the end of last season, so maybe he'll be okay this year), that fact tha Lehkonen may endure a sophomore slump, the fact that Danault isn't going to get carried by Radulov/Patches, and that AGally maybe mentally doesn't even want to be here anymore.

imBask

Banned
You both make excellent points. I concede everything.

And you hope that Drouin cancels out the loss of Radulov. I think he will in the future and then some, but this season is uncertain. Radulov was especially a beast in the playoffs.

I mean, Red's whole premise relies on the fact that Galchenyuk is suddenly gonna score 35 goals and save our souls, so everything else is moot

Galchenyuk is the type of player some fans will consider to be "still young and about to explode" at 35, because he's the highest pick we've had since Price

Socreges

Banned
I mean, Red's whole premise relies on the fact that Galchenyuk is suddenly gonna score 35 goals and save our souls, so everything else is moot

Galchenyuk is the type of player some fans will consider to be "still young and about to explode" at 35, because he's the highest pick we've had since Doug Wickenheiser
Ftfy

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Preds are practicing with:
Forsberg-Johansen-Fiala
Hartnell-Kamenev/Bonino-Arvidsson
Aberg-Sissons-Smith
McLeod-Jarnkrok-Watson

Josi-Ekholm
Emelin-Subban
Irwin-Girard
Bitetto-Weber

Also, Cody Bass got sent down, bringing the roster to 26 including Ellis.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Mete might actually make the team, and I'm not sure if that's a showing of how talented he is, or how shit the rest of the D has played so far.

Hard to see this team missing the playoffs if Price is healthy for the entire season.

imBask

Banned
Mete might actually make the team, and I'm not sure if that's a showing of how talented he is, or how shit the rest of the D has played so far.

the answer to that is yes

Hard to see this team missing the playoffs if Price is healthy for the entire season.

the answer to that is Toronto, Tampa, Ottawa are better than us so our only chance is through the wildcard, and one of the wildcard spot is reserved for one of the 4 teams destroying the metropolitan

Top Bottom