• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Ugh, joystick that attaches to buttons?

If I can't close the lid with it on it's even dumber. And if for some reason a new device comes out, I want 20 more games.

jackdoe

The Boat said:
Not if it comes bundled with it for free. The fact that Capcom helped design the CC Pro makes me think this is likely. We just have to wait and see I guess.
It sounds like a hefty bit of tech if it is more than a cover for the ABXY buttons. I don't see it being released for "free" and I think a potential bundle will be expensive.

Going to say this, since if it gets printed in Famitsu it's 99% chance of being true:

There are several moments in videogame industry history that feel like "defining moments". They feel like those moments where you know from that moment forward things have changed. The biggest moment I can remember is "five hundred and ninety nine US dollars". It was like once the words left his mouth and the number was on the slide, history was set and everything was about to change.

...if this gets printed in Famitsu, this will undoubtedly make the list as well.

Cipherr said:
IMO it doesn't matter what it is, it would be included in the first revision for sure.

This IMO if true opens a HUGE FUCKING DOOR for Sony. Nintendos handheld dominance is damn near un-penetrable unless they themselves make a grievous error and open themselves to defeat.

This right here is it. Sony had better get ready man. Do not miss this shot. Money hat, Moneyhat everybody, get everything advertise everything.

Everything.
So if Nintendo releases a Circle Pad add on, that does NOT have to be purchased, they are making a grievous error? ...right, makes sense.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
yall niccas got played like a damn fiddle!

haha, but not me! nope, not me
NzySj.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
VGChampion said:
Ugh, joystick that attaches to buttons?

If I can't close the lid with it on it's even dumber. And if for some reason a new device comes out, I want 20 more games.

No, it goes "next" to the face buttons apparently.

chickdigger802 said:
This whole thing sounds more and more crazy. Would be really surprised if this didn't include a better battery as well.

Just think about it. You replace the back like for the nyko power pak with this 'expansion pack'.

Now I'm getting fucking excited.

Hell, if it extended the battery life then I'd be game. Really doubt this though. I'm still having a hard time believing this whole damn thing .

I'm looking at my 3DS and I can't see a way to make this work. Maybe they could put it under the B button but it seems like it would be way too close to the power button.

Zebra

I will be happy if this turns out to be true, and it looks like it should be. It sucks that the 3DS didn't include a second stick to begin with, but I would applaud Nintendo for fixing the mistake rather than ignoring it for the rest of the 3DS's lifespan.

I wasn't an early adopter, so I am unable to join in on all the rage.

JJD

Bel Marduk said:
Eh...this news doesn't really negate MHTG coming to the 3DS which is major.

Sure it is major news. But Capcom is probably in some stage of development of Monster Hunter 4. Imagine if it's released for Vita?

Cipherr said:
IMO it doesn't matter what it is, it would be included in the first revision for sure.

This IMO if true opens a HUGE FUCKING DOOR for Sony. Nintendos handheld dominance is damn near un-penetrable unless they themselves make a grievous error and open themselves to defeat.

This right here is it. Sony had better get ready man. Do not miss this shot. Money hat, Moneyhat everybody, get everything advertise everything.

Everything.

It only does dual-analog.

It only does backtouch.

It only does everything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really curious to see how this all plays out. And I do think the back-touch on the Vita is underhyped.

MrDaravon

chickdigger802 said:
This whole thing sounds more and more crazy. Would be really surprised if this didn't include a better battery as well.

Just think about it. You replace the back like for the nyko power pak with this 'expansion pack'.

Now I'm getting fucking excited.

Aside from getting dicked well within the initial year of the console's release, I would be down for that also.

JJD said:
Sure it is. But Capcom is probably in some stage of development of Monster Hunter 4. Imagine if it's released for Vita?
MH4, released...for a handheld. Not gonna happen. Another entry in the Portable series is likely, but not a main series title.

airmangataosenai said:
3DS has been such a clusterfuck, worst major product release ever by Nintendo and one of the worst period barring efforts llike the CDi. A peripheral to play all future games? Thank God I held off buying this thing. No way I'm buying one before the revision comes out now.
It's still not Virtual Boy bad... yet.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
all those people asking for 01net to become a banned site or calling them out for bullshitting : please form an orderly line so you can express your deepest shame at your wrongness.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
StuBurns said:
I wonder what the trade in on 3DSs is right now, I haven't finished Zelda yet but still..

I don't think we need to start trading in our 3DS's yet, well, not unless a new system is coming soon.

ryan-ts

AlexMeloche said:
You still had to buy a 25$ peripherical for a 250$ console. :/

Well his point entirely was that people were overreacting and thinking it was a new system altogether when it will probably end up being an exclusive add-on for monster hunter.

krae_man

epmode said:
Man, it sure sucks for Ambassadors that Nintendo still ties store downloads to a single console. No way to move that stuff to the revision!

Umm yes there is.

I was able to move everything but Earthworm Jim from my DSi to my 3DS. All the Ambassador games will absolutely be able to be transfered because none of them will have any license issues.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/hardware/specs

System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***

Peagles

Hylian7 said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure changing g to c doesn't help :/

If this add-on thing is for real, I don't really know how I feel yet. If it's just for MH, then it could work a bit like the Guitar Hero thingy for DS, but if it's going to be forever, I think I'll just upgrade to a revision when it's available.

Kurod

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
You think they'll offer this expansion to customers for free?

Somehow I doubt that. The only thing I could get out of Nintendo for free were the Wii condoms and only because they viewed not having them as a liability.

Edit: Not to say there won't be game bundles.

upandaway

Gunloc said:
It's still not Virtual Boy bad... yet.
I could see where he's coming from. It's easier for Nintendo to write off the Virtual Boy than the 3DS. In a sense, the Virtual Boy wasn't that dangerous.

I'll weigh in before the confirmation/debunking breaks. I'd rather it weren't true, to be honest, and it could be as simple a solution as bundling thumb-straps with each copy of a game in order to emulate a second analog on the touchscreen.

If the further rumours of a hardware revision this soon after launch are true, then Nintendo is making a huge mistake.

Part of me thinks that the Japanese blogs are only just now picking up the 01net rumours as news and it's a case of 01net -> 2ch -> GAF.

There's going to be essentially no games that use this analog stick other than Monster Hunter since no western development will make a shooter for it no matter the sales. I guess if they get MHP4 it may be worth it, but huge oversight and major overreaction.

Mikey Jr.

I have to wonder though. Why did Nintendo even bother making this second analog expansion? Is the 3DS suffering that much without it?

clashfan

DCharlie said:
all those people asking for 01net to become a banned site or calling them out for bullshitting : please form an orderly line so you can express your deepest shame at your wrongness.

I complimented them on their "journalism". :)

Top Bottom