• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

SRTtoZ

Just picked up both versions to get the $20 discount.. The Vita version is ugly as shit. Horrible textures, frame rate issues, aliasing... It generally looks half assed. I thought the Vita was supposed to have almost PS3-level graphics. If this game is any indicator, the graphic power of the Vita is hardly as much of an improvement over the PSP as it has been hyped up to be.

Have you read a single post in this thread? Or do you have any other games but MLB? It was most likely developed as a PSP game at some point and then converted over to Vita for release. If the PSP can do graphics like Uncharted, Wipeout and UMvC3 then I've been buying the wrong games.

Afrikan

Just picked up both versions to get the $20 discount.. The Vita version is ugly as shit. Horrible textures, frame rate issues, aliasing... It generally looks half assed. I thought the Vita was supposed to have almost PS3-level graphics. If this game is any indicator, the graphic power of the Vita is hardly as much of an improvement over the PSP as it has been hyped up to be.

turn on your PS3, put in MLB The show...

now pull out your Vita, load up The Show.

hold out your Vita to the side of your T.V. screen, until both are the same screen size next to each other...if that makes sense.

do you still see that much of a difference?

now try to play the PS3 version up close, as if it were a Vita? How do the graphics look?

KaYotiX

Banned
The Vita version is good IMO, its the perfect way to enjoy The Show while im not at home and i can now complete seasons and RTTS modes easier.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
turn on your PS3, put in MLB The show...

now pull out your Vita, load up The Show.

hold out your Vita to the side of your T.V. screen, until both are the same screen size next to each other...if that makes sense.

do you still see that much of a difference?

now try to play the PS3 version up close, as if it were a Vita? How do the graphics look?

lol....

Also no one plays franchise mode?? Even begging for any info I could get

Also no one plays franchise mode??

Yankees traded Andrew Jones for some generic AA player and have Robinson Cano on the trading block. So, yeah, it's pretty much the same.

Seriously, not much different that I can think of. I'm 32 games in or so. Aside from new menus and whatnot it's the same as it's always been - probably why no one has much to say about it.

Do you have specific questions?

NHale

The Vita version is good IMO, its the perfect way to enjoy The Show while im not at home and i can now complete seasons and RTTS modes easier.

I canceled my order after lots of people saying it looks like a PSP game in this thread but yesterday I watched a bunch of videos on YT and the game looks great to me (except the crowds but even those are not that great on the PS3 version). I know YT can mask some visual issues but the OLED also improves IQ compared to a video.

I wish this game had a demo because right now I'm more worried about the pure analog pitching (the analog appears to be very sensitive in the videos I saw) than the visuals.

Lol what is this. I don't even.

siaoliao

Neo Member
I finally started Franchise last night and went up to the All-Star break (and if it's any indication of this coming season, Kendrys Morales will have a great first half).

This is the first time I've done Franchise, so I'm not sure what's changed compared to previous years. But I have found it humorous the collection of star talent on the trading block (and how many teams want to trade expiring contracts for Anthony Rizzo).

I initially approached the draft fantasy-baseball-style and quickly realized the error of applying a 12-team-mixed-league approach to .. 30 MLB teams. But hey, I have a lot of youth that should be good in 2-3 years provided my fanbase sticks around.

Anywho, I'm a whole 2.5 months into my RttS and I was traded :/. Maybe it should happen more often, since I promptly went 4-4 (but that might be more an indictment of the Mets' AA pitching/defense). I'm also shocked Theo Epstein would trade some spare minor leaguers for Juan Pierre, or did they just copy over Jim Hendry into this year?

I finally started Franchise last night and went up to the All-Star break (and if it's any indication of this coming season, Kendrys Morales will have a great first half).

This is the first time I've done Franchise, so I'm not sure what's changed compared to previous years. But I have found it humorous the collection of star talent on the trading block (and how many teams want to trade expiring contracts for Anthony Rizzo).

I initially approached the draft fantasy-baseball-style and quickly realized the error of applying a 12-team-mixed-league approach to .. 30 MLB teams. But hey, I have a lot of youth that should be good in 2-3 years provided my fanbase sticks around.

Anywho, I'm a whole 2.5 months into my RttS and I was traded :/. Maybe it should happen more often, since I promptly went 4-4 (but that might be more an indictment of the Mets' AA pitching/defense). I'm also shocked Theo Epstein would trade some spare minor leaguers for Juan Pierre, or did they just copy over Jim Hendry into this year?

Just keep in mind that all the CPU sees is numbers, it doesn't care what the NAME of the player is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lol what is this. I don't even.

He's right--the Vita version looks terrible. Everyone in the thread saw the screenshots and said "Oh, it'll look better on the Vita OLED!"

It doesn't. It's awful.

SRTtoZ

1) the Vita version looks good. I dont know why people are saying it looks like the PSP because I own the PSP versions and the Vita version looks WAYYY better. The graphics aren't the 'issue', its the framerate and the crowd. The players look great, even the faces and every batting stance/animation.

2) Franchise mode is great, not much different than past years but the new presentation upgrade is amazing while playing a game. It really makes you feel like you're just watching a game on TV.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I need help here, I feel like I'm hitting at the right time but can't ever seem to get an actual hit. Almost everything I hit pops up, goes fowl or conveniently straight to an outfielder.

So do I tweak hitting difficulty or something else? I thought the NHL series was skeet with catch-up mechanisms but wtf. I'm at a loss here.

Two basic hitting tips:

#1: Try to always have something in mind, like "I'm gonna rip this shit down the 1st baseline" or "I'm about to rope this shit into the pull-gap."

#2: Watch for pitch double-ups: Take that first pitch, watch it closely, and imagine crushing the shit out of it; then wait for it to come again.

I find both approaches naturally and effortlessly put me into "pitch-hunting" mode whenever I might slip into "read-and-react" mode, aka swing-at-balls-and-take-strikes mode.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So are the PSN+ Cloud and MLB Show Clouds different? If so any way I can access the PSN+ Cloud save from my vita?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is it worth purchasing the Vita version just to save some cash or is it worth it just to get the ps3 version?

PS3 version is worth it. Hard to say atm for vita version as Ive only played it for a little bit. Hard to get use to the controls on such a small screen for a game that requires you to be precise. I dont regret purchasing it though as it will probably be my portable baseball game for many years like I had a MVP game for my psp.

These custom covers are courtesy of The Frankman, my favorite person in the world at the moment.

garycarter2.jpg

GaryCarter.jpg

*I play Franchise on PS3*

I am not pleased:

- Baserunners can no longer be controlled in between pitches; they stand on the bag until the game "resets" for the next pitch. This is new this year. (Obviously a casualty of the new between-pitch cutscenes.)

- You still have to fucking manually, individually, simulate all the other games first if you want the in-game ticker to work properly.

- The stat overlays are pretty glitchy. I have Prince Fielder leading the league in HRs and RBI, neither are highlighted when he bats. When players come to bat for the first time, the secondary statistical line has never stopped thinking it's talking about last year's stats (saying "105 games" under the main statline, eg, when I'm only 35 games deep).

- They really need to get that motherfucking goddamned pitch repertoire/confidence/energy/button-hitting-configuration-reminder icon off my fucking screen. Why is that shit not tied to turning Guess Pitch off? When I'm pitching, fine, whatever. But when I'm batting? Why the fuck is it there?! I have NO REASON AT ALL to look at it, it's just a big, huge eyesore, bigger than any minimap, that does NOTHING for the game or its presentation. Fine if you're in love with it for some odd reason, but where in the FUCK is my option to shut it off?

I am very pleased:

- The new "whip" arm-motions they put into a lot of the pitching deliveries are, to me, right there with the new ball physics in terms of making the game feel very fresh.

- They've clearly upgraded the pixel-count in pitchers' hands and the ball itself. Take a close look next time, it's beautiful. And they grip the ball properly according to pitch type; the ball spins with appropriate, context-sensitive behavior as well. It did this in 11 too, but it's really well-drawn and well-lit now.

- The new bat & ball sounds! Overall, the game still sounds pretty much the same, which is a shame. It sounds okay, but I don't know that the audio really captures MLB sound like it could (even with the commentary turned off). That said, the work they did on the bat and ball sounds is obvious and wonderful.

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT for April, May and June to roll around so I can get my hands on some serious roster files. And that's

My biggest complaint:

Coming from "final installment" roster projects in MLB 11, where every fucking player has been tweaked and fine-tuned in ability and aesthetics alike (not to mention hundreds or thousands of my own tweaks), to this horseshit default roster, is ... not fucking cool man.

Cheers, dudes. Keep swingin'.

edit: Meanwhile, just batted around. Suck it, Whitesox. 7-0 top 4. :p

Don't know how many folks do the Sounds of the Show thing, but I've been messing with it much of the day.

At the very least I recommend hooking yourself up with a proper soundtrack for when in the menus: think Centerfield, Glory Days, Major League, Field of Dreams, the Natural, etc.

Subtle touch that goes a long way!

Beyond that I've got some Ernie Harwell cuts and they sound all kinds of awesome with the stadium reverb, it seriously sounds like Ernie is working the PA at Comerica Park. I also added a this for my home runs lol. Love it. :p

Don't know how often I'll want an online game (ie, this is a zero-pressure commitment, lol), but I'd love some MLB12 players on my friend list if only to scope the score of your game, etc.

PSN: NEOPARADIGM

For those playing RttS mode, is there an easier method for advancing bases during baserunning? The camera flops around so much that I'm always losing valuable time figuring out which way it considers the next base to be, sometimes even end up running back to the base I was at because the camera flies around at inopportune times.

Instead of using the analog, is there a button I can hold down to automatically advance or retreat to the next appropriate base?

Holy crap, I saw this on the OS boards on R.A. Dickey and why he STILL doesn't have the speed right on his knuckler after 2-3 years.
bemo03 said:
Why is his Knuckleball like Tim Wakefield?

Pretty sure he throws his Knuckleball 79-80 in real life not 68-70...

Fix this for 12 please?
Knight165 said:
Lorne_SCEA said this will be fixed (in the first update?)
But....word of warning, I don't think you can go back into the editor and change his speed for the knuckle ball....or it will reset.
It's a SCEA change only.(they are overriding the limit in the editor for knuckleballs)
They did it for us at community day and it looked perfect.

M.K.
Knight165
Hard knuckleball finally!

I skipped '11 so this is my first time with the analog controls. I wish I could get used to the hitting but its too damn slow (or I'm too damn slow). I'm warming up to the pitching side of it though. Nailing a pitch on the black is very satisfying because you get instant feedback from the two motions. Digital timing plays more like a statistical sim in that regard, I was getting pretty bored with it. Analog working so well is a pleasant surprise. Really impressed with the new ball physics as well. The effect is subtle but the game is significantly more organic now. To the point where playing with the old scripts would be immediately noticeable in comparison. Nice job SD.

EekTheKat

Awesome - I got a trophy on Vita for using Cliff Lee to
throw a fastball off of Chris Carpenter's head.
Had a good laugh for about 5 minutes for that.

I'm actually really enjoying the Vita version after I dialed the settings into something I can play with, and I'm not really that big of a baseball fan.

DoctorZ

Do anyone else's diamond dynasty games keep going to queue and never get processed. It started happening to me once I reached WS. Now all of my games go to queue.

my last processed game was on MAR 17 1am PDT.

Echoes

Yesterday I finished watching One Outs. It's my first baseball anime, and I hear Major is a better representative of baseball than One Outs. Anyway: I have zero experience on baseball apart from One Outs. Would getting this game prove a daunting task in learning everything about the sport? Is there maybe a simpler baseball game on PSP/Minis/Vita? (I remember seeing an SNK PSP/Minis game on the store)

DoctorZ

Yesterday I finished watching One Outs. It's my first baseball anime, and I hear Major is a better representative of baseball than One Outs. Anyway: I have zero experience on baseball apart from One Outs. Would getting this game prove a daunting task in learning everything about the sport? Is there maybe a simpler baseball game on PSP/Minis/Vita? (I remember seeing an SNK PSP/Minis game on the store)

If you want a simple, but still very fun game. Try and find a copy of MLB Power Pros. PS2 or Wii. The DS game is ok, just doesn't have the story mode. Not sure if there are other platforms outside of the US.

The game you are thinking of I think is Baseball Stars Professional. I'm pretty sure SNK put it out. It was a neo geo game, a very good one at the time. But I think the PSN version was gimped in the customization department. If I recall the original let you create players and all sorts of stuff. Or maybe I am mixing it up with another game.

The game you are thinking of I think is Baseball Stars Professional. I'm pretty sure SNK put it out. It was a neo geo game, a very good one at the time. But I think the PSN version was gimped in the customization department. If I recall the original let you create players and all sorts of stuff. Or maybe I am mixing it up with another game.

The only Baseball Stars game that let you create teams and players was the original Baseball Stars for the NES, IIRC. It's an odd case where the original was far and away better than the sequel even though it was made by the same dev. They must have skimped on the cost of adding a battery to store save data, since there's no create-a-team/player feature in the sequel. Playoff mode was probably gone in the sequel too for the same reason.

The Neo Geo Baseball Stars' and their cousin Super Baseball 2020 were pure arcade experiences and didn't have any sort of team or player creation at all, unless there is some difference between arcade and console versions, which I doubt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

As for the Show, I bought a used PS3 a few weeks ago just for this game. Diamond Dynasty is FANTASTIC. A patch a few days ago fixed some weird bugs related to income and rating increases after games, and it's working flawlessly now. I hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the 9th of a 0-0 game and the opponent quit out before the ball even left the yard. It correctly registered my 2-0 win and I got all my money/rating for it. Pretty sweet.

DoctorZ

The only Baseball Stars game that let you create teams and players was the original Baseball Stars for the NES, IIRC. It's an odd case where the original was far and away better than the sequel even though it was made by the same dev. They must have skimped on the cost of adding a battery to store save data, since there's no create-a-team/player feature in the sequel. Playoff mode was probably gone in the sequel too for the same reason.

The Neo Geo Baseball Stars' and their cousin Super Baseball 2020 were pure arcade experiences and didn't have any sort of team or player creation at all, unless there is some difference between arcade and console versions, which I doubt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

As for the Show, I bought a used PS3 a few weeks ago just for this game. Diamond Dynasty is FANTASTIC. A patch a few days ago fixed some weird bugs related to income and rating increases after games, and it's working flawlessly now. I hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the 9th of a 0-0 game and the opponent quit out before the ball even left the yard. It correctly registered my 2-0 win and I got all my money/rating for it. Pretty sweet.

Oh man, you're right. I dont think I ever played the neogeo version. Maybe I played it at an arcade only. Watching a youtube video I remember parts of it. The NES one was the one I played. That sucks that the sequels didn't have that stuff.

Well, you'll soon be frustrated once you reach WS. Apparantly eveyone in WS cant get their games to count, they all go to queue. I was rank 2 after I reached WS, now none of my games count. They go to queue (more like were thrown into a black hole and are now in another universe). So I've had to sit and go from rank 2 to lower than 15 in the last two days. Everytime someone reaches WS I go down a rank I think, but they never get anymore rating points since their games go to queue as well.

So if you play one game at WS and it goes to queue, stop playing. You'll just waste your time. They need to take the servers down and fix this issue since everyone will soon be playing meaningless games once they reach WS. WS isn't based on W-L, its based on rating points. So even a crappy player can still get there just because they will eventually win enough games.

RoylAsult

has anyone else noticed the ad for modern warfare in MLB the show?

I was playing against the yankees and on the ad's it showed the logo for COD (you know, the lines. looks like a heart rate... that one lol) Not sure if its just a coincidence or it means something

Madtown_

My copy arrived last week. I got a few games of RTTS in and my pitcher had quickly moved up to AAA. Really loving the game!

Then I turn on my PS3 for a quick game yesterday, but nope. It's dead.
Anyone else ever had the red error screen on ps3? That's what I have now and I don't know what I'm going to do.

This is my fourth broken PS3 (I've had to pay for two so far). I don't know if I'm willing to pay another $99 for yet another refurbished unit. Eh, frustrating.

Such a massive fucking waste of resources. I refuse to believe that anyone who actually plays the game more than once keeps the insanely game-slowing broadcast shit turned on.

You know, honestly? That's one of my favorite things about the Show. MAYBE not super crazy broadcast presentation, but replays and shit. It's actually bumming me out when I play the PS Vita version.

...which I'm not really all that impressed with. I hate actually typing that out because it's the main reason I got a Vita! But it's true :(

demolitio

And this is where having a copy of The Show on Vita comes in handy. Coming off my worse day ever health wise, my TV's wall mount decided it had enough and ripped right out of the wall with me "catching" the TV with my head and my head luckily saved it but now I have nothing to sit my TV on since the guy took the screws to the normal TV stand for some reason. So since I can't play the PS3 version, I sure as hell will play the Vita version to get my fix in, especially after watching this video again... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1IS_EQZoA

I love baseball season. I hate "handy" men however.

What sliders are you guys using in your games? I ask this because on Default the CPU is just too much of a strikethrowing machine. I mean it gets ridiculous, I'm talking 80-90% painting corners here, and good luck trying to draw a walk... ever. Not to mention in past years Default Settings would not yield enough wild Pitches/passed balls.

I've been gathering info and as soon as I buy the game this week I hope to get to work and some hands-on research/testing.
And this is where having a copy of The Show on Vita comes in handy. Coming off my worse day ever health wise, my TV's wall mount decided it had enough and ripped right out of the wall with me "catching" the TV with my head and my head luckily saved it but now I have nothing to sit my TV on since the guy took the screws to the normal TV stand for some reason. So since I can't play the PS3 version, I sure as hell will play the Vita version to get my fix in, especially after watching this video again...
Yikes, sorry to hear that. That's my biggest fear with mounts. Hope you feel better.

Top Bottom