• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Has anyone downloaded the latest patch via PS3 and have cross platform play with Vita?

Can it still be done? I read on theshownation forums that its borking EVERYTHING. I'm hesitant to transfer my vita season over...
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...s-details-included-post-your-impressions.html

1.16 patch I think is what you mean. I think more details are on page 37 of that thread.
Whats up guys. I have the Physical Copy of the The Show on Vita, but I am seriously contemplating trading it in and buying the Digital Download off the PSN Store since I play this game soooooooo much on Vita. Does anyone know if the load times are better/worse or pretty much the same. Also, will I be able to keep all of my sliders and options.

I'm not worried about RTTS, because I can cloud transfer it. However, if the game stores other data on the Cart, I might have to copy all of my options and sliders before doing so. I can't find a Physical Copy vs DD comparison anywhere on the net. Keep in mind all I really do is play RTTS, so I'm really only worried about that comparison.
loading times I would think are better on the system, but I'd googlesearch around to doublecheck. As for sliders/options... not sure sry.

For those who play RTTS and want to avoid being traded, here's a surefire fix:

1) Play RTTS until you hit a day/week where your team is deadset on trading you. Try a few reloads just to see if it's a one-off deal. If you're clearly GOING to be traded no matter how many times you reload, then-

2) Load your save. Immediately go to Settings >>> General. Scan down to Injuries and change it to Manual.

3) Go to your Disabled List. Find your player under the "Manage Injuries" option. Since the trade obsession usually happens at the deadline, figure out how many days you've got until August 1st. So, if you're three days away from the deadline...

4) Injure your player. Give him anything... Migraine, herniated dick, whatever as long as it lasts until past the Trade Deadline, or the week that the team wanted to trade you.

5) Go back to "Play Next Appearance." Since your were injured for the period that the game wanted you dealt, the game won't trade you. After the Trade Deadline passes, go back to Options and set Injuries to Normal.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...s-details-included-post-your-impressions.html

1.16 patch I think is what you mean. I think more details are on page 37 of that thread.

loading times I would think are better on the system, but I'd googlesearch around to doublecheck. As for sliders/options... not sure sry.

Just wanted to let everyone know that everything tranfered over from the cloud save when I went from Physical Copy to DD. I haven't played it enough to tell if the load times are better, but it seemed similar if not a little faster. This is for the Vita version of course.

Why the hell does David Price have a Gyro on the new roster??
... wat

From what I've been told at OS Forums, they used Fangraphs/Pitch FX data to determine motion of pitches and whatever pitch most accurately moves like the pitch the pitcher throws, he's assigned it. It's similar to Stephen Strasburg's slider, but the slider in th egame does not match Strasburg's motion, so he was given a slurve. I'm guessing whatever plot points they were following indicated Gyroball for price.

ajf009

pretty sure that's a massive fuck up.

everyone with a running fast ball has a gyro instead now -- so price, verlander, santana, etc. all have gyro balls

-_-

Thats what I've seen, even Lincecum has it. But its like 97 mph and about three feet of horizontal movement haha. Nothing like an actual 'gyroball' but I've still seen pitchers with actuall running fastballs, so idk where this is coming from

eznark

Banned
lol this game is so bad

Aside from all the other awfulness yet another game in which the catcher overthrows the first basemen. I think it has happened in 75% of my league games.

Sony San Diego is atrocious and needs to be taken off this game.

Well my fucking god. After a brutal 2-12 start we have finally made it back to .500 thanks to a solid 7-3 last 10. Thought I'd mark the occasion by sharing a franchise update (I play every game):

Detroit Tigers
34-34
Tied for 1st in AL Central

Position Players

Miguel Cabrera: .316, 16 HR, 39 RBI
Prince Fielder: .279, 19 HR, 43 RBI
Brennan Boesch: .303, 10 HR, 28 RBI, .414 AVG/RISP
Delmon Young: .280, 9 HR, 27 RBI
Alex Avila: .275, 7 HR, 22 RBI
Austin Jackson: .219, 2 HR, 8 RBI, .148 AVG/RISP
Jhonny Peralta: .247, 2 HR, 18 RBI
Ramon Santiago: .222, 1 HR, 12 RBI, .368 AVG/RISP
Ryan Raburn: .179, 2 HR, 10 RBI
Andy Dirks: .221, 2 HR, 7 RBI

Starters

Justin Verlander (4-5): 94.2 IP, 3.33 ERA, 1.01 WHIP
Doug Fister (5-5): 84.2 IP, 4.25 ERA, 1.25 WHIP
Drew Smyly (7-2): 76.1 IP, 2.71 ERA, 1.09 WHIP
Max Sherzer (4-5): 69.2 IP, 3.88 ERA, 1.23 WHIP
Rick Porcello (2-7): 54.0 IP, 5.50 ERA, 1.48 WHIP

Relievers

Joaquin Benoit (3-2): 34.0 IP, 1.06 ERA, 9 HLD, 4 SV, 0.88 WHIP
Daniel Schlereth (2-0): 21.2 IP, 3.32 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, .170 AVGvLHH
Al Alburquerque (3-0): 27.2 IP, 1.63 ERA, 33 K
Octavio Dotel (0-1): 26.0 IP, 3.81 ERA, 1.00 WHIP
Jose Valverde (0-2): 18.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 16 SV
Phil Coke (1-0): 24.0 IP, 6.38 ERA, 1.54 WHIP

Team (MLB Rank)

AVG: .257 (10th)
Runs: 250 (21st)
Hits: 577 (T-19th)
Doubles: 77 (30th)
Triples: 8 (T-20th)
Home Runs: 76 (7th)
RBI: 244 (23rd)
Stolen Bases: 23 (30th)
Base on Balls: 118 (30th)
Strikeouts: 408 (1st)
Slugging%: .400 (14th)
On Base Percentage: .297 (28th)
Fielding Percentage: .986 (14th)

ERA: 3.90 (24th)
HR Allowed: 57 (7th)
BB Allowed: 150 (1st)
Strikeouts: 554 (T-1st)

AL Central

CWS 34-34
DET 34-34
KC 33-35
CLE 30-37 (had been in first basically all season, 2-8 last 10)
TWINS 29-38, 4.5 GB

Last 10

W 7-5
L 8-5
L 8-2
W 9-7
W 4-3
W 5-2
L 3-1
W 5-3
W 5-3
W 5-4

Feeling pretty good, sending the vibes to GAF. :)

Cheers, chaps.

Any instances of the infamous "CPU comeback"? I had it happen to me recently, drove me bonkers.

Not really. I mean I've blown a ton of saves and holds, sure, but when a guy has a 0.88 ERA or something, it's not really off-putting when he gives up a handful of runs in his 18th appearance or whatever.

Comebacks more generally are usually a combination of pitcher fatigue + falling pitcher confidence + being too predictable (despite how "random" you might think you're being, you can still fall into traps by not "establishing" your pitches) + not thinking ahead from a managerial perspective: I honestly think that if you forget to get someone warmed up, for example, and keep the starter in for an extra hitter or two when it's OBVIOUS you were completely absent-minded about it, the game may or may not punish you for this: I see more hidden "you done fucked up and now you shall pay" at work than a "comeback code" proper where you're just randomly allowing runs so that the game is close in the end. Generally, if you're allowing runs there's a reason. That's been my experience, anyway.

Beyond that I'd say you really need to be prepared for a blowup in any inning. If it happens in the 1st or the 9th doesn't really matter. Is it "comeback code" when I get a 9 dropped on me in the top of the 2nd and lose 9-4? So why it is fishy if they score 4 runs over the 8th and 9th? Etc. And my bullpen has been way more reliable than my starters, so that kinda keeps comebacks in check by default.

Comebacks more generally are usually a combination of pitcher fatigue + falling pitcher confidence + being too predictable (despite how "random" you might think you're being, you can still fall into traps by not "establishing" your pitches) + not thinking ahead from a managerial perspective: I honestly think that if you forget to get someone warmed up, for example, and keep the starter in for an extra hitter or two when it's OBVIOUS you were completely absent-minded about it, the game may or may not punish you for this: I see more hidden "you done fucked up and now you shall pay" at work than a "comeback code" proper where you're just randomly allowing runs so that the game is close in the end. Generally, if you're allowing runs there's a reason. That's been my experience, anyway.

Beyond that I'd say you really need to be prepared for a blowup in any inning. If it happens in the 1st or the 9th doesn't really matter. Is it "comeback code" when I get a 9 dropped on me in the top of the 2nd and lose 9-4? So why it is fishy if they score 4 runs over the 8th and 9th? Etc. And my bullpen has been way more reliable than my starters, so that kinda keeps comebacks in check by default..
When you get 4 straight errors from guys who are great defenders leading to a GW homer on a pitch you throw a foot outside from a guy with no power/hitting .200... and it's going on for 4 years... yeah.

Again, it's not a code. It's a number of in-game factors that get zoned-in on when the CPU is behind late and the CPU "sells out" on. I've detailed how it seems to have lessened over the years in each incarnation of the game so I'm happy at that (I've played every version of the game since MLB '07). However you DO still get the weird instances of it every now and then. That's just a fact; I know the OS guys don't want to hear it due to the number of whiny posts, but it's there. I've seen too many stories given by guys who I know aren't "wah wah wah I lost because I allowed 2 runs NO FAIR HAXXXXXXXXX"... legitimate longtime players who understand the ins and outs of baseball games in general. It's just too much weird stuff out there.

bjb

Banned
Any instances of the infamous "CPU comeback"? I had it happen to me recently, drove me bonkers.

Shit happens at least every 3-4 games when I'm leading by 2 runs or less in the 9th inning.

I can throw near perfect pitches on outside corners, and scrubs like Greg Dobbs will end up driving in massive runs.

oatmeal

Banned
Question...

So I've been playing this like mad and my franchise is in 2035 (lots and lots of simming and just doing the GM stuff), but I just realized that although injuries and trades are both on, I have yet to have a single one.

Even trades I have initiated haven't worked. But no one has ever offered me a trade. No player has ever gotten injured...it kind of sucks.

I'll probably start another franchise when this one is done (whenever that is)...but what's the deal with that?

A known bug?

Question...

So I've been playing this like mad and my franchise is in 2035 (lots and lots of simming and just doing the GM stuff), but I just realized that although injuries and trades are both on, I have yet to have a single one.

Even trades I have initiated haven't worked. But no one has ever offered me a trade. No player has ever gotten injured...it kind of sucks.

I'll probably start another franchise when this one is done (whenever that is)...but what's the deal with that?

A known bug?
What are your Sliders Settings for injures? Also are you playing with a 2nd dummy profile? You might have Trades/Injuries off on that one.

Game Update 1.21
Please see below for the latest game update changes:

Included in this game update is the foundation for a much anticipated mode addition. Check in again on May 28th, for details on how to access this mode. Also included in this game update are some enhancements and fixes for issues reported from out community. Thank you for your input and loyalty. We know this will improve the offline and online game experience for all who download this game update.

Offline Adjustments:
* We understood that some users were still experiencing progression difficulties through your seasons/franchises after the latest game update. Another code clean-up sweep was performed to enhance the stability and better align the schedules and box scores. This will make cross platform cloud saves and season/franchise progression more stable.

Diamond Dynasty Improvements:
*Arena matchmaking has been improved. Users will now be matched up with more equal opponents based on rank. Users can expect more competitive head to head games as a result of this change.
*Fixed an issue with selecting pitcher delivery style. Pitcher animation list was off resulting in the wrong delivery style being assigned to users pitchers.
*Fixed an issue with training players in Diamond Dynasty. When attempting to train a player, an issue would occasionally cause the wrong player to be trained.

League Adjustments:
*Fixed an issue with the league lineup and pitching rotation screens not being saved and carried over into the game. This has been corrected.
*Fixed an issue with the time calculator in league modes. Could affect draft times as well as series expiration times. All time displayed should now be accurate.

General Online Fixes:
*Challenge of the week: Wrong player mug should would occasionally be displayed when the user first entered and played through a challenge. This issue has been resolved.
*Fixed an issue with users being able to request multiple friendly quits and concedes. Now, as intended, users will only be able to ask once for a friendly quit, and once for a concede.
*Fixed an issue with the wind speed and direction arrow, in an online game. The wind direction and wind speed will always be accurate now.
*Fixed an issue with the in game ticker. Minor score posting issue with MLB games that had not yet started. This has been corrected.

Thank you again, to our loyal community members, who have sent us feedback. The information we receive is instrumental for us in our effort to improve MLB 12, and build a better MLB 13.
Sounds like the Online HR Derby, which was SUPPOSED to be in the game at launch, might be added.

EDIT: Or not.

ajf009

Sliders are on default.

I don't have a dummy profile, either.

I've played for a good 2 1/2 season between different franchises and have experienced the same thing. not a single trade offered to me by the cpu. In past games they'd offers plenty and even some decent ones I went through with, not here though. Although I haven't played in awhile and I know there's been a couple patches so maybe it's been fixed? I haven't seen anyone else even mention it

oatmeal

Banned
I've played for a good 2 1/2 season between different franchises and have experienced the same thing. not a single trade offered to me by the cpu. In past games they'd offers plenty and even some decent ones I went through with, not here though. Although I haven't played in awhile and I know there's been a couple patches so maybe it's been fixed? I haven't seen anyone else even mention it

Kind of a bummer. I never make any serious moves, nor do any other teams.

And the injuries thing makes me sort of set and forget my lineup. I can literally sim through a season and stick with my opening day moves in 20 minutes. Not much strategy.

Hachimaki

Playing the Show franchise for the first time ever here. Haven't played too much other than a few exhibition matches so far. I started out with the beginner controls, but have stepped it up to experienced. I think that's a good starting point?

Enjoying the pitching mechanics however I am terrible at batting. I think I need to be patient and work the pitch count, but sometimes it's hard to read the AI pitcher and I end up striking out looking or getting jammed up. Maybe it's something I'll get use to over time. I'm definitely going to keep playing and attempt to get better.

What are some tips some of you can give for a first timer?

Patch 1.23 has been released.

New to Update 1.23:

Online Home Run Derby:

Addressed an issue in the New Online Home Run Derby that was causing users to freeze periodically.

Addressed an Online Home Run Derby Lobby isse that would *infrequently* display the incorrect users.

Franchise/RTTS:

We understood that some users were still experiencing progression difficulties through your Seasons/Franchises after the latest Game Update. Another code clean-up sweep was performed to enhance stability and better align the schedules and box scores. This will make cross platform cloud saves and season/franchise progression more stable.

Diamond Dynasty Improvements:

Matchmaking has been improved. Users will now be matched up with more equal opponents, based on rank. Users can expect more competitive head to head games as a result of this change.

Fixed an issue with selecting Pitcher Delivery style. Pitcher animation list was off resulting in the wrong delivery style being assigned to users pitchers.

Fixed an issue with Training players in Diamond Dynasty. When attempting to train a player, an issue would occasionally cause the wrong player to be trained.

League Adjustments:

League draft stability.

Fixed an issue with the League Lineup and Pitching Rotation screens not being saved and carried over into game. This has been corrected.

Fixed an issue with the time calculator in League modes. Could affect draft times as well as series expiration times. All times displayed should now be accurate.

General Online Fixes:

Challenge of the Week: Wrong player mug shots would occasionally be displayed when the user first entered and played through a challenge. This issue has been resolved.

Fixed an issue with users being able to request multiple Friendly Quits and Concedes. Now, as intended, users will only be able to ask once for a Friendly Quit, and once for a Concede.

Fixed an issue with the wind speed and direction arrow, in an online game. The wind direction and wind speed will always be accurate now.

Fixed an issue with the in game ticker. Minor score posting issue with MLB Games that had not yet started. This has been corrected.

Thank you again, to our loyal community members, who have sent us feedback. The information we receive is instrumental for us in our effort to improve MLB 12, and build a better MLB 13.

Magicked

I just picked up this game for the Vita and started a Road to the Show career as a pitcher. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm having trouble in a couple of areas. First, my team seems to make an over-abundance of errors in the field. Like at least 1 or 2 per outing for me (which is about 5 innings). I got drafted by the Tigers and I'm in their double-A team, so that might be part of the reason, but it can be somewhat frustrating. Second, my team can't seem to score while I'm pitching. After I'm taken out of the game and the rest of it is simmed, they are usually able to score a decent number of runs. This makes it a bit hard to get a win.

Are these normal things? I've never played any version of The Show before.

Edit: Okay, my team is scoring now and I finally have a win. It was seriously like 5 games in a row where we didn't score while I was pitching and my team committed all kinds of errors.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey quick question does MLB Show 12 have any of that Online Pass douchebaggery or am I safe buying a used copy from a buddy?

Quick

Banned
I haven't touched the game on PS3 since getting the Vita version a week ago, but either I've just spent a shit ton of time on the Vita version, or the last update made the frame rate steady on the PS3 version. Holy shit, so fluid.

Also, cross-game saves are awesome.

daycru

I just bought a used copy with no online pass. I don't care about playing online but want to update my rosters to opening day 2012. When I click to the vault, I am told I need an online pass. I'm told: "If you don't have an access code or it has already been redeemed, you can purchase the online pass or begin a free limited trial." I press X assuming it'll take me to an option to start the trial. Well, it's just a prompt to pay 9.99 on the PSN store for the pass. Does this trial exist?

Top Bottom