• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

I've played with the X7 in store, and it is quite attractive in person. I think the angular deisgn will fit WP7 very well.

Regarding the recycled designs, considering it's only been a year since they started on Windows Phones, i don't expect anything completely new till Q4 most likely with apollo. It takes somewhere between 18-24 months to design phone hardware scratch.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The one reason why I really like Spotify is it works on well EVERYTHING. There's an iOS, Android, and WP7 client. Plus it works on OSX, Windows, and Linux.

One sub that can take anywhere I want to without being locked in. Anything specifically coming from MS, Apple, Google or the like probably locks me into their ecosystem. Spotify lets me roam freely.

Don't get me wrong Zune Pass was far ahead of it's time. Yet for ME personally I'd rather go the route that's on well everything. I take a similar view with Dropbox. It works on practically everything so I'm not locked in.

On a related side note though something like this could be killer for a media device like the Xbox 720 in the living room. Problem is people won't want to pay for Live for the 360 AND live for the PC to get this sort of access. Still stream whatever you want to your 720 + Home Theater Setup would be a big selling point.

Troll

Banned
He's just a digital rights extremist -- also a troll.

tumblr_ll95we0IHc1qag8ns.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As long as I have a windows phone, I'll stick with Zune pass. And I have two, plus a Zune 30. The integration in the phone puts it out in front of a 3rd party solution. I just want a slick web client.

JaggedSac

On a related side note though something like this could be killer for a media device like the Xbox 720 in the living room. Problem is people won't want to pay for Live for the 360 AND live for the PC to get this sort of access. Still stream whatever you want to your 720 + Home Theater Setup would be a big selling point.

Zune Pass already streams straight to the 360, why wait for the 720? And why does a PC have to be involved? And yes it is pretty killer, I will put it on Smart VJ and have music videos stream from Zune when I have people over.

Milchjon

Bah, my speaker on the Lumia 800 stopped working.

The thing is, I still get ringtones, and the music doesn't seem to pause when I unplug my earphones. So I think it might just not recognize that I haven't plugged in earphones?

I know this isn't a standard problem, but does anybody have an idea or trick how I might fix this? Restarting didn't fix it.

The one reason why I really like Spotify is it works on well EVERYTHING. There's an iOS, Android, and WP7 client. Plus it works on OSX, Windows, and Linux.

One sub that can take anywhere I want to without being locked in. Anything specifically coming from MS, Apple, Google or the like probably locks me into their ecosystem. Spotify lets me roam freely.

Don't get me wrong Zune Pass was far ahead of it's time. Yet for ME personally I'd rather go the route that's on well everything. I take a similar view with Dropbox. It works on practically everything so I'm not locked in.

works well on everything is why Netflix is so awesome and Amazon isn't.

Pachimari

Someone convince me to buy Nokia Lumia 800.

I absolutely love the design and the user interface design, but it has no front-facing camera for Skype (with my girlfriend). Yet, that design is nice.

Vanillalite

As long as I have a windows phone, I'll stick with Zune pass. And I have two, plus a Zune 30. The integration in the phone puts it out in front of a 3rd party solution. I just want a slick web client.

To be fair I thought this too, but then oddly MS actually gave Spotify Native Coding rights and even helped promote their app. It was a big deal to MS that they were getting Spotify on the platform which is funny because it's a direct Zune Pass competitor.

I bring this up because most 3rd party apps can't compare to the integrated ones. Spotify though had all the OS hooks that playing music through Zune on the phone, and the app was extremely slick. I tried the 3 day preview when the app launched, and it did everything Zune does besides podcasts. Slick App, nice Metro interface, album art, lock screen stuff etc... is all there with both apps honestly.

works well on everything is why Netflix is so awesome and Amazon isn't.

Yeah I forgot about this example. 110% agree with this. I'm just tired of being locked in ecosystem wise.

Some Tango info.
Apparently all Mango devices can be updated to Tango, and in China special modifications will be included.

These changes include :

• Tango of China would have the Xbox Live function removed
  • WeiBo (Chinese version of Twitter) and RenRen (Chinese version of Facebook) would be used to replace Twitter and Facebook which cannot be accessed in China
  • Bing search result would be based on a combination of Bing and BaiDu, the Chinese no.1 search engine

Tango will be announced at Mobile World Congress 2012 and will launch in Beijing in China at an event in the 3rd week of March, attended by HTC, Nokia, ZTE and LG. The OEMS will be showing their Tango-powered devices off there.

It is not clear if the Chinese Marketplace will open at the same time, but when it does there will be 2 additional methods besides paying by credit card to pay for apps.

Vanillalite

Chinese Market could really help with overall market penetration. I can definitely see why MS would be focusing big time on this!

That being said I'm still in wait for Apollo mode so Tango needs to move over and let Apollo roll in like a boss!

Vanillalite

I have a feeling for MS MWC is going to be a big deal especially for getting Tango out and more support for world markets as a whole.

I do think however a lot of the core techies in say NA and the EU are going to be rather disappointed in MWC. I just sort of have this feeling.

Does anyone with a Lumia know how to set Nokia Drive to be the default for directions?

When I click on a location in the brower it opens up the default MS navigation app (which is a bit shit) and I'd rather the Nokia one if possible.

Beeing banned made me read stuff I wouldn't read, but it made me realise Microsoft has a LOT of catching up to do, and I don't mean on the Windows Phone OS. It's their business model and integration. They have more than 50 million Xbox' is living rooms and their next release is Windows 8.

When Apollo is released, from what I know of Apollo, it'll be up to 2012 smartphone standards (Dual-Core, Screen rez etc.). But when Apollo is released other phones will have evolved much more and Microsoft can start over with the catch-up game. And if I am to beleive the rumours about iPad 3, the massive screen resolution and the integration with other devices, Microsoft should stop the efforts. Despite having more than 50 million Xbox' in homes all around the world and millions of PC around the world, somehow they fail to integrate them.

Vanillalite

Beeing banned made me read stuff I wouldn't read, but it made me realise Microsoft has a LOT of catching up to do, and I don't mean on the Windows Phone OS. It's their business model and integration. They have more than 50 million Xbox' is living rooms and their next release is Windows 8.

When Apollo is released, from what I know of Apollo, it'll be up to 2012 smartphone standards (Dual-Core, Screen rez etc.). But when Apollo is released other phones will have evolved much more and Microsoft can start over with the catch-up game. And if I am to beleive the rumours about iPad 3, the massive screen resolution and the integration with other devices, Microsoft should stop the efforts. Despite having more than 50 million Xbox' in homes all around the world and millions of PC around the world, somehow they fail to integrate them.

Apollo uses the Win 8 kernel. Hardware wise it'll support everything both Android and iOS will.

dLMN8R

I'm confused how someone can talk about Windows 8 and argue that other devices or manufacturers have a more cohesive cross-device strategy. Windows 8 is the only OS out there that will have a completely cohesive, mature, and fully-realized story for everything from the most high-powered desktop or server to the most energy-efficient, thinnest, lightest tablets with incredible battery life.

The fact that Windows Phone 8 is rumored to be not only based on the Windows 8 kernel, but have a ton of direct integration with Windows 8, only further bolsters that idea.

Things like a retina display are impressive, but there's nothing about Windows 8 that would prevent such a device from existing

I'm confused how someone can talk about Windows 8 and argue that other devices or manufacturers have a more cohesive cross-device strategy. Windows 8 is the only OS out there that will have a completely cohesive, mature, and fully-realized story for everything from the most high-powered desktop or server to the most energy-efficient, thinnest, lightest tablets with incredible battery life.

The fact that Windows Phone 8 is rumored to be not only based on the Windows 8 kernel, but have a ton of direct integration with Windows 8, only further bolsters that idea.

Things like a retina display are impressive, but there's nothing about Windows 8 that would prevent such a device from existing

And how are we supposed to know that? Everything could be, should be, might be. To quote the theme of the last Windows Weekly episode, "We just don't know". You should listen to that episode, it's pretty good!

Okay, it's not, but they're complaining about that for a while, which makes it kinda amusing, because even "insiders" like those two are in the dark.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
And how are we supposed to know that? Everything could be, should be, might be. To quote the theme of the last Windows Weekly episode, "We just don't know". You should listen to that episode, it's pretty good!

Okay, it's not, but they're complaining about that for a while, which makes it kinda amusing, because even "insiders" like those two are in the dark.
i have this strange feeling that everyone who works for microsft is "in the dark" at this point. it almost feels as if they're working on at too much at once.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Right after the Apple event would be a good time to release tons of information, screenshots, and pictures/hands on of actual Windows 8 ARM and Intel tablets. Maybe even an Asus one that works like the Transformer. Would definitely help me in not buying an iPad 3. I hate iOS, even more on tablets, but the app momentum is undeniable and the rumored specs are really nice, plus the lack of solid info on release dates and stuff for the Windows 8 stuff.....not sure I can wait or want to wait.

Vanillalite

Right after the Apple event would be a good time to release tons of information, screenshots, and pictures/hands on of actual Windows 8 ARM and Intel tablets. Maybe even an Asus one that works like the Transformer. Would definitely help me in not buying an iPad 3. I hate iOS, even more on tablets, but the app momentum is undeniable and the rumored specs are really nice, plus the lack of solid info on release dates and stuff for the Windows 8 stuff.....not sure I can wait or want to wait.

Hopefully MWC maybe shows off some stuff. I do kind of feel like MS is on the cusp, but everyone's spinning their wheels in limbo right now.

dLMN8R

How are we supposed to know what? We already know exactly what Windows 8 is, which addresses that part of the equation. Everything about Windows Phone 8 is rumor, but pretty well-backed-up rumor. But we're talking about how it compares to Apple and Google ecosystems, and how things tie together across devices. From that perspective, there's nothing that Apple and Google have that come close to what Windows 8 already does in February 2012.

I've listened to every episode of Windows Weekly since it started airing. I listen because they're decent commentators, but Paul Thurrott and now Mary Jo Foley give themselves far too much credit and credence in the industry. They have a weekly show, so every week they essentially need to complain about "not knowing" the same things that they didn't know the previous week. It cascades into something that sounds like a much bigger deal than it actually is.

Every episode they ask questions, they say "why don't they just tell us <x>?" Then Sinofsky writes an 8000+ word blog post answering hundreds of questions on the same level of "<x>" and they're left with even more questions.

Shouldn't it be obvious to Paul and Mary Jo by now that:

1) The reason why they don't "just answer this one question" is because by the inherent nature of the product, answering one question will just raise 10 more. If an 8000+ word blog post filled with extremely detailed information can't answer every question they have, then nothing will.

2) Why do they need to know all of these specific details? Developers already know everything they need to know to write applications. Hardware manufacturers already know everything they need to know, since what they know isn't public information. Why do Paul and Mary Jo think that they need or deserve to know every single facet of every single detail?

They went on and on for weeks about "does ARM have a desktop???" The entire time, I knew the answer, and I just couldn't understand why it mattered so much to Paul and Mary Jo. How would knowing if the desktop existed on ARM let them to their jobs better? Why would it matter to anyone who doesn't already know at this point?

The only way to answer every single question is by releasing the beta, which is already announced to be February 29th. For the ARM questions, those devices simply aren't ready yet. But when they are, they'll go to the right people who report on this stuff, people like Paul and Mary Jo, and they can explore to their hearts' content and answer every single question they want answered.

It's like the 24 hour news networks. There's the genuine stuff worth talking about, but eventually they just start blathering about stuff that doesn't matter, and they try to make a big deal about it.

Sean

Banned

Microsoft needs to announce before the Apple event especially since they're the underdog in tablets.

Once the iPad 3 is announced there's going to be non-stop tech coverage on it for like two months straight and no other stories will be able to attract attention. At least if MS gets the jump on Apple, all the iPad 3 writeups will also be mentioning Microsoft's tablet strategy and comparing it with Windows 8 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom