• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP layoffs heard...Matt Leone no longer at 1UP

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm assuming this is IGN trimming redundant areas in an effort to either make 1UP more of a boutique for certain types of content or to fold those remaining people into IGN proper.

Suairyu

Banned
I haven't visited 1UP properly since the fallout of that day settled. I feel bad for anyone losing there job right now but 1UP died a long time ago.

Sonicbug

I don't... wait... who was left for full time employees at 1up? I can't think of anyone aside from Jeremy, who was put at the top.

Shit.

Jeff-DSA

Jack DeVries let go from IGN.

I try not to talk poorly of other writers, but how he got paid to produce the writing he did for 6 whole years is mind boggling.

I haven't been to 1UP, other than the retronauts blog, in ages. I can't get enough of the retronauts podcast though. I really don't understand why they don't try to get some sponsorship for those. I'd put up with an ad or two if it meant continued retronauts podcasts.

DangerStepp

During the 1up Yours/GFW podcast era, 1up was by far the best source of entertainment in the industry. I can't believe how much talent 1up/EGM lost in such a short time.
This. In full.

1up died for me with the closing of EGM and mass exodus of everyone I've ever respected in game writing.

A majority of those folks, if not all, now work in the industry and no longer write.

I no longer read game related articles unless it's on GAF.

big_z

I try not to talk poorly of other writers, but how he got paid to produce the writing he did for 6 whole years is mind boggling.

He was fun to listen to on the Nintendo podcast.

Ryan Scott kind of implied not so great changes we're coming to the ign run sites shortly after he quit late last year. I wonder if this restructuring is a part of it. Ign seems set on sinking as low as possible for the clicks.

Jex

Man, that's some terrible, if not unsurprising news.

Still:
Xav de Matos ‏ @Xav

Were you a writer that was effected by 1UP layoffs? Email me xav [at] joystiq [dot] com. If you noticed the intentional error, email faster.

EXGN

Wow, seems like games media is getting so small. The only new major site we've had come out is the Vox site, right?

Hey~

I don't wanna go to work today~

Wanna stay home and play~

on my video games~

I do tend to link interesting articles from 1up on gaf... shame no1 really go there anymore, they still put out interesting stuff.

Cheers to old veterans.

And isn't Tina more IGN now?

Sad to think they used to dominate other gaming podcasts in terms of quality and probably popularity. 1Up Yours and GFW Radio were so good in their prime.

NewFresh

Damn. There were only few remnants left, I guess we can't have that going on.

1up has been getting smaller and smaller. If I were to guess, they will be fully integrated into IGN soon enough.

- J - D -

The core group of folks who comprised 1UP from 2005-2008 golden age are almost all gone now. With Matt and Scoot gone, the '1UP Show era' people have all dispersed, save Jeremy and Tina.

Kinda sad.

Geez, 1up used to be so awesome. I remember being one of the first members on there when it made the switch from Gamers.com in '04. I spent so much time listening to their podcasts and posting on the boards from '04-'07, some of the best memories of my high school years were spent making friends on that site as weird as that sounds. It's really sad to go back and look at the message boards now; you're lucky to see 100 new posts a day across every sub board. Lots of great memories, I truly miss that community.

ZenaxPure

If you wanna go deeper than that Jack had been a freelance writer for most of that time. He got hired full time like... in 2011 I believe and talked about on a podcast how he had applied for full time like 5 or 6 times and got rejected every time. Can't say this is too surprising. Someone clearly never wanted Jack there.

I'll give you Retronauts. I never cared for Jeremy Parish though. He always sounded like he could care less about anything.

He is pretty much a disgruntle war veteran these days (Wars as in surviving all those layoff waves).

But he is still like the only high rank person in the gaming journalist industry that still gives a shit about handheld games. You can't hate the t-frog.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
wow really sorry to hear this hope everyone can land on solid ground

At least the best gaming podcast is still hosted at 1up.com 8-4 Play!

Top Bottom