• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

B4D1E

I was just thinking it would’have been great if MS had released Crackdown BC enhanced on X1X to paliate the delay of Crackdown (3). What are the chances that could happen?

Oh oh another thought!!! Splinter Cell Blacklist enhanced!!! I would give anything for that to happen. Please MS and Ubi 🙏

Chitown B

Persona 4 Arena is a nice surprise. I'm concerned that the list is drying up though which is frustrating as hell as there're still so many games to be added. Where's Radiant Silvergun for one? And I don't care what MS has to do regarding the licensing for PGR 3 and 4 but they absolutely have to be brought over to the backwards compatibility list as they're such an important part of the Xbox game library.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/radiant-silvergun/bx7lxxj4964v?wa

Radiant Silvergun was added to Xbox one BC months ago...
This is one hell of an xbox exclusive to this day.

Obviously RSG can still be played on an actual Xbox 360... but it's also already on the Xbox One's BC list.

Many thanks for the heads-up guys. It never showed up in my download list on my Xbox One as I owned it on a different Xbox Live account. No matter, I'll just buy it again :D. Thanks for letting me know. And you're right Naked Lunch, it's one hell of an exclusive (as with a large amount of titles in the BC list now). Absolutely amazing game. I can't wait to get back into it.

Thanks mate!

YoshiMax

Anything new on Ninja Gaiden 2? What in the heck are they doing? I suspect it would run flawless on the X....

They just put out NG Black so I expect that will be given time to shine before 2 comes along. It’s a given that we will get it at some point now.

Gitaroo

Agreed. It seems odd that they added the first but not the second. Is there any licensed music featured in the game that might be holding it back?

Not that I can think of, the dev was talking about vring it over to pc like 3 years ago but nothing. They could have use a fraction of tge mordor 2 profit and hire someone to port it.

xHiryu

i wonder how the Xbox One X affects Bioshock especially since it has the uncapped framerate option. The Xbox One yielded a performance upgrade so the X's power would probably make it more dramatic.

JP

I did mention this a while ago but didn't get a reply so suppose it's possible that nobody actually knows but I'll ask agin, just incase.

I've noticed that some of the backwards compatible games don't actually appear on the Xbox One store itself and there are other games that are there but when you try to buy them it just tells you to buy from the website.

I'm just wondering if we know why this is and if it's likely to be something that changes? It's hardly the worst thing in the world having to go to the website but it can off-putting for me if it's a cheap impulse buy. Is there maybe something than I can do on the Xbox because the last games I'm showing are the original Xbox games and I'm showing nothing after those?

CRZYSPZ

Agreed. It seems odd that they added the first but not the second. Is there any licensed music featured in the game that might be holding it back?

Part of the reason maybe because it doesn't have a digital release currently, so maybe they're trying to work that out?

Also, isn't the second game multi-disc?

EvB

I did mention this a while ago but didn't get a reply so suppose it's possible that nobody actually knows but I'll ask agin, just incase.

I've noticed that some of the backwards compatible games don't actually appear on the Xbox One store itself and there are other games that are there but when you try to buy them it just tells you to buy from the website.

I'm just wondering if we know why this is and if it's likely to be something that changes? It's hardly the worst thing in the world having to go to the website but it can off-putting for me if it's a cheap impulse buy. Is there maybe something than I can do on the Xbox because the last games I'm showing are the original Xbox games and I'm showing nothing after those?

I would presume it's some kind of legality that means that certain products cannot be purchased outside of Xbox.com and a 360

Nothing today, nothing this past tuesday and no posts in this thread!

I know 😒. It's all a bit depressing that MS are winding down the release rate. There are so many essential games that are missing from the backwards compatibility list.

On a brighter note, perhaps we'll get a surprise Christmas present in the form of a free 360 classic this year like we did with Lost Odyssey.

I honestly want to play Goldeneye Rogue Agent and Burnout Revenge more than anything.

Both are action packed adrenaline thrill rides that do not have any downtime (none of this open world, sim/stealth nonsense) and that what makes them so damn fun

Calibos

I know 😒. It's all a bit depressing that MS are winding down the release rate. There are so many essential games that are missing from the backwards compatibility list.

On a brighter note, perhaps we'll get a surprise Christmas present in the form of a free 360 classic this year like we did with Lost Odyssey.

Wish we could get an actual update on this instead of speculation.

I sincerely don't think they are "winding down" the release rate or the program, but at this point, it would be nice to hear some reassurance on it.

Estocolmo

How many games are there potentially left for them to make BC from the Xbox 360 and Xbox Originals games library? Of course not counting Kinect games, sports games etc.

Some games have plenty of votes, but nothing. Hopefully they're working with the ones holding everything up.

A lot of those highly voted games will never come due to IP rights issues. Sucks but that's the way it is. Either conflicts over licensed content like cars or music, or the rights-holder simply doesn't want to divert attention away from current gen products. The only ones we can rightly blame MS for are the ones where they wholly own the IP and there is no licensed content in the game. If they legally can't release something or the emulator simply can't play it, then I'm not going to be angry about it. The only problem is that they never tell us the details on why something's NOT coming so people are left to speculate and stew in their bitterness.

RootCause

A lot of those highly voted games will never come due to IP rights issues. Sucks but that's the way it is. Either conflicts over licensed content like cars or music, or the rights-holder simply doesn't want to divert attention away from current gen products. The only ones we can rightly blame MS for are the ones where they wholly own the IP and there is no licensed content in the game. If they legally can't release something or the emulator simply can't play it, then I'm not going to be angry about it. The only problem is that they never tell us the details on why something's NOT coming so people are left to speculate and stew in their bitterness.
Can games with ip rights issues be sold on the marketplace? I was under the assumption, that everything on the marketplace is good on that front. And that it was only a matter of time before they would show up as bc tittles.

Can games with ip rights issues be sold on the marketplace? I was under the assumption, that everything on the marketplace is good on that front. And that it was only a matter of time before they would show up as bc tittles.

In many cases the licensing agreements are very specific. So while a game may show up on the Xbox 360 marketplace, or on Xbox.com, it may not be possible to sell it on the Xbox One without new agreements which may not be possible or financially viable. The initial agreement, which is presumably still in effect, may specify where the game may be sold, and since the Xbox One didn't exist when the agreement was drawn up and signed, it is not an option.

These types of problems are solvable if the original rights holders are yourself, or a single entity such as Activision or Bethesda. However, if multiple parties are involved, especially non-gaming businesses such as car companies or music labels, you are looking at a lot of work, trouble, and expense for whatever modest return a BC game will bring in new sales.

I wish we could see the PGR games, but the licensing with cars and soundtracks level me doubtful

Oh I know that it's never going to happen and it's incredibly sad to see the series left to die on an unreliable platform due to something as silly as licensing. But I'm going to continue to dream :D

I think Ghost Recon AW has a licensed song during the end credits sequence too, so that's probably going to be off the cards as well. Genuine shame.

I might be the only person, but I would fucking kill to have Alpha Protocol playable on XB1.

I'd be really keen for that too. I really enjoy Obsidian's RPGs and Alpha Protocol should have been on the BC list from day one. I eventually grew to love FNV, so having a chance to experience AP on my Xbone for the first time would be brilliant. My money is sitting here... waiting... Oh, what's that Obsidian? You don't want my money. Oh that's fine, I'll just spend it on beer instead.

but they are not reselling the game only making it playable again so surly this shouldn't be a problem.

From a business perspective, how do they justify the work in certifying it for BC if they can't make any money off of it? Also, people would complain that there's no way to buy the game. Yes, we know they could hunt for a used copy but there would still be complaints. I wish they would make games like that BC anyway for owners but I can see why they spend time elsewhere instead.

amdb00mer

From a business perspective, how do they justify the work in certifying it for BC if they can't make any money off of it? Also, people would complain that there's no way to buy the game. Yes, we know they could hunt for a used copy but there would still be complaints. I wish they would make games like that BC anyway for owners but I can see why they spend time elsewhere instead.

MS handles all the licensing and such for these BC games that publisher's sign off on. They go through the trouble of finding who owns what license and paying whatever is needed to get the ok to go forward with making said game BC. I think I read somewhere that with all the BC games on X1 MS is from a technical standpoint the largest publisher on the X1 platform.

Syriel

Xbox is no longer a console for Microsoft. It is an ecosystem.

Investments now are meant to pay off later, when the next system after the Xbox One X plays everything that the S and X could run, including all those BC games that "just work" on the new system.

It's also worth keeping in mind that, while they aren't released for legal and security reasons, the emulator that runs the Xbox and 360 games on the XBO can run on the PC. That is a major potential sales channel that could open up if the business issues are worked out.

Winkle

I saw the mention of ghost recon AW. Got my hopes up. I even bought it when they made the cock up on their website, when they announced that and a few other Clancy games were BC then withdrew it. 😕. Wish it would happen.

MS handles all the licensing and such for these BC games that publisher's sign off on. They go through the trouble of finding who owns what license and paying whatever is needed to get the ok to go forward with making said game BC.

Yes, I know, but the evidence so far points to them not doing this for games with complicated licensing situations. I'm 100% sure there is a business decision involved and being able to put the game up for sale on the X1 is a big factor. Otherwise there would be more driving games and licensed games available by now. They even pulled their own Forza Horizon 1 from the store when the licensing deals ran out rather than renegotiate.

Top Bottom