• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

So, I think I've asked before, but someone's got to help me with good settings, SDR and HDR, for this dman TV. Do we really have to downgrade FW to make this TV as good as it should be? It's an expensive set and I can't get any picture to look good.

What I've noticed now (I'd like to ask others to try too), how shit and unreadable the purple text is in Overwatch. Say for epic skins, highlight one and see how awful it looks. Even the default settings look bad. Is this just the game or what? All of the red text that comes up for eliminations is equally as bad.

https://imgur.com/a/gTBxV

I also noticed in Mass Effect Andromeda, the map blurs SO MUCH when it moves. Again, is this the game or what? I wish I had my old TV to compare all this to.

I couldn't even follow rtings settings to have a proper picture somewhere for films at least. I don't seem to have the same options, and so many pictures for white balance!

NYR

Hey guys, just want to say how great this thread was, a lot of smart people here, thanks for all the chatter about OLEDs, I loved this thread and it’s advice, hope it continues. :)

The Lamp

So, I think I've asked before, but someone's got to help me with good settings, SDR and HDR, for this dman TV. Do we really have to downgrade FW to make this TV as good as it should be? It's an expensive set and I can't get any picture to look good.

What I've noticed now (I'd like to ask others to try too), how shit and unreadable the purple text is in Overwatch. Say for epic skins, highlight one and see how awful it looks. Even the default settings look bad. Is this just the game or what? All of the red text that comes up for eliminations is equally as bad.

I also noticed in Mass Effect Andromeda, the map blurs SO MUCH when it moves. Again, is this the game or what? I wish I had my old TV to compare all this to.

I couldn't even follow rtings settings to have a proper picture somewhere for films at least. I don't seem to have the same options, and so many pictures for white balance!

I have the same questions, except B7 owners can't even downgrade. The latest FW also provides a technicolor expert mode and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it?

Thinking about buying the 2017 B7A. How real is the threat of burn-in? Seeing some scary stories in the reviews and LG doesnt cover it in their warranty.

Mister Wolf

Thinking about buying the 2017 B7A. How real is the threat of burn-in? Seeing some scary stories in the reviews and LG doesnt cover it in their warranty.

Ive had it for a week now and have not experienced burn in. I use it as an computer monitor as well as television.

NYR

Vocal minority. People who have it happen will post about it 99% of the time and those where it doesn't happen only post 10% of the time that they are fine.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I couldn't even follow rtings settings to have a proper picture somewhere for films at least. I don't seem to have the same options
, and so many pictures for white balance!

What are you seeing that they have that you do not?

Metzhara

So I picked up the following:
55"LG B7A
Onkyo 575 Receiver (+Speakers)
(Already had Polk sub).
Mono-price Hi Speed HDMI cables (2 black, 2 white; easier to find when traced if needed.)

So two days in, looked great (used rtings to set up as a base and moved from there).
HDR content was nice. Assassin's Creed, pretty good. I was about to go pick up some 4K content when...
Come home to turn it on... POP... goes out.
Get replacement.
Same thing... to days in...looks great. Get up in the morning and turn it on... POP.

Receiver fine (seemingly). Surge Protector (rated at like 4K joules) seemed fine. Consoles seemed fine. Television... not so fine.

Anyone have any ideas what to check or do you think that 4K HDR was just too much to handle? Never had issues like this prior so... I'm really perplexed. I mean, what are the odds it's a defect two times in a row? Not likely.

*Receiver still works great and audio is fine. TV is plugged into HDMI 1 as I don't need ARC. First failure had bottom 20% with a mild light. Second failure bled on the right side rainbow colors before it just turned black. Both "click" on and off after 3 seconds. I'm afraid a 3rd is a waste of time but no reports on this problem or what could cause it. I'd figure if it was HDMI overload there'd be some random burns but... nope... everything is clean. It's weird.

Whats the lenght of your HDMI cables? I've run into trouble at 10 meters where my PC can't send out anything above 4:2:0 and even then will drop signal for a second and I've seen snowfall artefacts in certain conditions. Though I suspect that when a TV goes out for you it's just completely dead after those 3 seconds, nothing works display-wise?

Metzhara

Whats the lenght of your HDMI cables? I've run into trouble at 10 meters where my PC can't send out anything above 4:2:0 and even then will drop signal for a second and I've seen snowfall artefacts in certain conditions. Though I suspect that when a TV goes out for you it's just completely dead after those 3 seconds, nothing works display-wise?

The FIRST failure, the bottom 20 percent had a FAINT light. I used the magic remote to verify it was trying to display something but it was bad. It would turn on for 3-5 seconds and then "CLICK" turn back off.
The SECOND failure didn't show anything but the initial "rainbow colored run-off" alonng the right side before the screen turned black and never lit up again.
My HDMI are standard six. I keep my content in the same vicinity. To be honest, the behavior looks like something sent current into the TV but... the Surge Protector showed no signs of failure. I still bought a new one anyway (5K+ Joules.).

Top Bottom