• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 10 Games from the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Switch Gen

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1. Alien Isolation
2. The Last Guardian
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Arkham Knight
5. Uncharted 4
6. Bloodborne
7. Dark Souls 3
8. Resident Evil 7
9. Doom
10. The Witcher 3

FlamingHelmet

Neo Member
In no particular order:

Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gears of War 4
Ori and Blind Forest
Destiny
Inside
Forza Horizon 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Halo 5
Ratchet and Clank

KaneU

I only own Nintendo consoles at the moment, so my list looks like this:

1. Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Splatoon
4. Pikmin 3
5. Super Mario 3D World
6. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
7. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Rayman Legends
10. Yoshi's Woolly World

Not sure if I can order these properly, but overall my Top 10 favourite games (just counting console) in no particular order would be:

Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
The Wonderful 101
Street Fighter V
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
Battlefield 4
Nioh
Super Time Force

I've had to exclude a lot of great games in this list, which goes to show how strong this generation has been. Sure, it started off fairly slowly, but it's definitely picked up. The amount of amazing content blows my mind.

VDenter

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. Zelda Breath Of the Wild
3. MGSV
4. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
5. Bayonetta 2
6. Doom
7. Splatoon
8. P.T
9 Uncharted 4
10. Super Mario Maker

Tenshin

Played so far.

1.MGSV
2.Witcher 3
3.Mass effect Andromeda
4.Titanfall 2
5.Darksouls
6.Bloodborne
7.Forza horizon 3
8.Astroneer
9.sunset overdrive
10.Destiny

Mullins_y2k

Neo Member
Uncharted 4
Overwatch
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Witcher 3
Forza Horizon 3
TitanFall 2
Forza Horizon 2
FIFA 17
Star Wars BF
Drive Club

Special mentions
Ratchet and Clank
Quantum Break
Doom
Until Dawn
Rugby League Live 3

& I havent played Gears 4 yet. I'm sure Battlefront 2 will easily jump into the top 10!

Console/PC only:

1. Undertale
2. Persona 5
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. The Stanley Parable
5. Crypt of the NecroDancer
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Shovel Knight
8. Titanfall 2
9. What Remains of Edith Finch
10. Elite Dangerous

w/ Handheld:

1. Undertale
2. Persona 5
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
5. The Stanley Parable
6. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
7. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
8. Crypt of the NecroDancer
9. Danganronpa: Trigger-Happy Havoc
10. Horizon: Zero Dawn

Linkyn

I have mostly owned Nintendo systems this gen (I got my PS4 last fall and have since been playing catchup while simultaneously going through newer releases // my PC gaming has been limited because I was forced to relegate myself to mobile hardware during my university years). My list as a whole reflects this, as well.

To be honest, I feel that only listing 10 games out of almost 5 years is a tall order (to say the least) and I would very much like to give other great titles a shoutout. Nevertheless, here is what roughly corresponds with my favourite 10 games so far this gen (in no particular order):

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Persona 5
  • The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Undertale
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn

Zedark

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This game is very special: traversing the world itself is made absolutely exhilarating, with surprises, quirky events and other cool discoveries to be made at every turn. What I loved about BOTW is not its story, nor its combat mechanics (though both are good), but the world itself. As a result, I never felt like I was wandering around for the sake of it, but I genuinely wanted to walk around and be captivated by the landmarks all around me.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The new standard for open-world RPGs. It has a very fleshed out world, with side quests that actually have a good story most of the time, and a very cool main story to boot. Absolutely amazing achievement by CDPR, and I can't wait to see what they will eventually do with the Witcher 4 (assuming it's happening at some point).

3. Final Fantasy XV - This game set another standard for open-world RPGs imo, and that is in combat: it is imo the best combat system featured in an open world RPG of this kind, and for that I really love the game. Its story has some highs but mostly disappoints at certain points, and it clearly ran out of budget/time to realise the original vision, but as it stands right now it is a great game.

INTERMEZZO: As you see, to me the "perfect" open world game masters these three categories: story, combat and world building. Each of the three games above add a new standard to one of those categories, and that's why they deserve to be the three imo.

4. Uncharted 4: The game had a great story, amazing animations and several outstanding combat scenarios, but its pacing was well off, with too many sections of mindless climbing that didn't add a whole lot to the characterisations of the protagonist or his companions.

5. Ratchet & Clank PS4: The game's aesthetics are amazing: it really did feel like a Pixar film, although obviously it isn't quite there (supercomputer masterrace confirmed). The animations were top-notch, and the gameplay oozed fun, such that I have grown really fond of the title, and definitely will replay it regularly.

6. Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe) - I played Deluxe, and it really is an amazing racing game: its piecemeal single player nature lends itself very well to a quick game on the go, and as such it's probably the best demonstration of the Switch' versatility.

7. Dragon Age: Inquisition - This game had some pacing problems, and suffered from filler, but for someone who can look past the filler content, the game offered high quality content and a fun story to experience, with sometimes really good setpieces to play through. The combat was enjoyable to me, and as such it deserves this place in the list.

8. Until Dawn - The choices in this game are great: it is really fun to try and keep certain characters alive -- or to try to get them killed! The choices you make are really impactful, and the QTEs in this game enhanced the experience (as they can do in a non-action based game), making it a joy to play.

9. Bloodborne - The game's mechanics are amazing. The difficulty means I haven't gotten very far yet, and therefore haven't experienced its story yet. Still, it deserves this spot based on its mechanics alone.

10. Shadow of Mordor - This game has a fun mechanic in its Nemesis system, which makes you want to take revenge on those that killed you as well. As a result, there is a fun procedural flow in the game, which is a very interesting mechanic to be fleshed out further. The combat itself and the world design were disappointing, and as such I didn't feel it deserved a higher place than 10th.

Lilo_D

Botw,
DKCTF
Bloodborne
Undertale
KI
Persona 5
EO4
Dota2

Mixed game from PS4 to WIIU to 3ds to switch to PC
I truly believe this gen is a great gen for gamers without bias

Rathorial

1. Prey & Dishonored 2 in a tie
  2. Divinity: Original Sin
  3. XCOM 2
  4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  5. Titanfall 2
  6. DOOM
  7. Cities: Skylines
  8. Ori and the Blind Forest
  9. Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void
  10. Super Time Force Ultra
Runner-Ups: MGSV, Endless Legend, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Invisible Inc., Don't Starve Together, Transistor, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Sunset Overdrive, Smash Bros. WiiU, Gears of War 4 & Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Still need to finish/get to: Homeworld Remastered Collection, Tryanny, Wasteland 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Offworld Trading Company, HITMAN, The Banner Saga 1-2, Total War: WARHAMMER, Undertale & Hyper Light Drifter.

Also, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is pretty much guaranteed to hit my top 10 list when it releases this September.

Mezoly

1. Bloodborne.
2. Horizon Zero Down
3. The Last Guardian.
6. The Witcher 3
7. Dragon Age Inquisition.
8. Titanfall 2
9. Uncharted 4
10. Child of Light.

Honorable Mentions:
Sunset Overdrive, Arkham Vr, Arkham Knight, Mass Effect Andromeda, Tales from the Borderlands, and FF15.

Playing in Progress:
Persona 5, Nioh, RE7.

Still to play:
Zelda.

Van Bur3n

1. Bloodborne - Was a huge Souls fan who craved playing this game since its announcement but couldn't due to a lack of a PS4. Even after playing Dark Souls 3, I was still wanting to play Bloodborne because of its phenomenal art direction I had to see more of. It was my primary (if not sole) reason for getting a PS4 and it has become my favorite game of all time. Everything brilliant about a Souls game with the fast and more aggressive combat, terribly fun weapons with loads of variety to them, fascinating world and lore, a DLC that consists of the greatest bosses in all Souls, and best of all, as I said, the art direction. A beautiful gothic horror with a touch of Lovecraft that has inspired me and some of my own work. I've already played through it so many times and I'm still doing it today.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I've always liked the Witcher universe since I first played the very first Witcher game. It had a unique fantasy universe that was more so dark and cruel that I really dug. Along with it I grew quite attached to its many stories and characters I experienced with Geralt of Rivia. Seeing that universe come back in a third and final installment but in a enthralling open world was a dream come true. And best of all, it truly delivered and stands as the best work CDPR had done and a wonderful send off for the series. A great success story for both The Witcher and CDPR that is highly deserved.

3. Dark Souls III - Speaking of Souls games and grand finales, Dark Souls III was exactly that. A finale that I found celebrated Souls through its call backs to the very first Dark Souls while bringing its gameplay up to speed with the aggressive nature of Bloodborne, you have yourself one of the best Souls games to play. Along with the always great art direction from From Software as well as the most consistent amount of engaging bosses (especially the final one), Dark Souls 3 was a proper conclusion to the Souls games, were that to be the case. I still think we haven't seen the last of these kinds of games, and I surely hope so. I crave them too much.

4. Divinity: Original Sin - A beautiful resurgence in classic RPGs and with Divinity it actually stands as one of the best ones ever made. Some of the best combat in a RPG and probably the best turn-based combat I've experienced that kept me on my toes, while delivering an interesting fantasy world to explore and discover fun quests and characters. I look forward to playing Original Sin 2 when I get to it.

5. DOOM - Despite how much I adore RPGs, sometimes I just want to shoot shit up. And DOOM was the perfect game I needed for that. A shooter that knows exactly what it is. Fucking DOOM, is what it is. No bullshit, just super fast pace running and gunning through blood and guts in the most fun way possible with the glory kills. Off the chain.

6. Fallout 4 - A disappointing entry within the Fallout series, that I wasn't too surprised it ended up that way because Bethesda will be Bethesda. Nevertheless, with Bethesda being Bethesda, Bethesda can still deliver a good open world sandbox RPG experience that I've always come to enjoy despite their typical shortcomings to be found in every one of their games. Like all of their games, its an experience that is bettered through some proper role playing with your character and the beauty of mods to further enhance the experience (if not overhaul it entirely). As usual, its fun to explore Bethesda's open worlds, but I only wish Bethesda could actually deliver a good Fallout game, while still trying to better themselves because there is sure as shit room for improvement in a lot of ways as a developer.

7. Nioh - So many developers inspired by Souls when making their own games, and so many boring attempts at it. Both with indie and AAAs. None have captured the magic of a From Software game, and even today, none have yet to do so. However, Nioh was close. And in its attempt, Team Ninja managed to make a pretty fun game with excellent combat and some pretty cool levels to navigate. If only those levels, bosses, and enemy mobs were as good as Souls. The lack of variety in enemies really hurt the game, but I managed to get through it.

8. Destiny - I have a love hate relationship with this game. On one hand, this game was dog shit for a solid year after its release. I was very disappointed in it at release when it turned out to be such a shallow game, but I saw potential in what Bungie had to offer with it and hoped its "expansions" were its opportunity to better the game. Instead, those expansions were shit as well and I just about gave up on the game. On the other hand, Taken King happened and turned this pile of dog shit into brown Play-Doh. It's the color of dog shit, but its fun to play with. But really, when I caved into buying the Taken King because of some friends, I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. It was proof that Bungie was able to make something out of Destiny. There is still more that can be done to better it, and I hope Destiny 2 will do just that.

9. Titanfall 2 - Fun shooter that had to fun mobility of the first game but with a solid campaign. Couldn't get into the multiplayer like I did the first game, but I suppose that's just my changing taste. Twas fun.

10. Shovel Knight - It was fun. Probably shouldn't have attempted to run through it destroying all of the checkpoints on the first playthrough and making it an infuriating experience, but it was fun. I should really play Plague Knight and Spectre Knight. Just so happens those were my two favorite knights of the game so all the better.

Good thing I was able to come up with that solid number of ten games, because I can't think of anymore.

Matticers

1. Uncharted 4 - I'm a little biased since I love the Uncharted series but I thought it was a fantastic game.
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Loved the original release and being able to play the Deluxe version anywhere just makes it even better. Just the perfect sort of pick and play game with just about anyone. It's just plain fun for anyone and people of any age.
3. Metal Gear Solid V - My personal game of the year when it was released. Had a ton of fun playing this and being able to play through missions any way you wanted to.
4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Despite getting good reviews from what I can remember, I feel like this is still one of the more underrated games around. Probably my favorite platformer since Donkey Kong Country 2, which is one of my favorite games ever.
5. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - You already know all about it.
6. Yakuza 0 - My first time playing a Yakuza game after hearing so much about it was amazing. Such a great game. Fun combat, it's cool to run around in these Japanese towns, plenty of comedic moments mixed in with the enjoyable story.
7. Destiny - I had a love/hate relationship with this game when it first released. The gameplay was solid and enjoyable but I grew to hate how tedious the level was and how hard it was to get to max light level early on. I stopped playing but I got really into it after The Taken King was released. The game had it's hooks in me at that point and I didn't really stop playing it until Destiny 2 was announced.
8. Super Mario 3D World - I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this game before playing it since I thought I wouldn't enjoy the smaller levels compared to something like Super Mario 64's design. But I had a blast playing it all the way through.
9. Final Fantasy XIV - The game did a great job with it's reboot. It's easy to play randomly solo and it's even more fun with a group of friends. I stopped playing not long after getting Heavensward but I'm looking forward to returning for Stormblood.
10. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I haven't finished this one yet but it's an excellent game. Certainly deserving of being on anyone's top 10 list.

This wasn't exactly in order but that's okay.

GametimeUK

Resident Evil 4 HD
Resident Evil REmake HD
Wind Waker HD
The Last of Us Remastered
God of War 3 Remastered
Final Fantasy X HD
Skyrim Remastered
Uncharted 2 Remastered
Borderlands 2 Remastered
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS

Oynox

I think I cannot give a top 10 at all. The only game I really played was The Witcher 3, I kind of bought the Xbox One for that. Since then no game could really hook me up unfortunately.

Might add Doom and Wolfenstein to the list if I am thinking about it:

1. Witcher 3
2. Wolfenstein
3. Doom
4. Ryse

Shaanyboi

Banned
1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. HITMAN
3. Witcher 3
4. DOOM
5. Overwatch
6. Wonderful 101
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Shovel Knight
9. Wolfenstein: The New Order
10. Splatoon

Budi

1. Witcher 3: What a send off to Geralt, mindblowing culmination to an amazing trilogy. Hopefully industry takes some notes, not only on the writing and care put in the side quests, but how to handle DLC/expansions.

2. XCOM 2: Loved the reboot and this sequel is no exception. Improved basically on everything but perfomance. The time limits add tension and force you to be more agressive so it limits cheesing. New enemy types were always dangerous and surprising to encounter.

3. Dishonored: The original release was just before the Wii U, but got ported to PS4 and Xbone later on. Yet to properly dive into Dishonored 2, so I'll include this one. Loved the movement and all the different ways to complete your missions. Artstyle was quite distinctive too and felt fresh.

4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Another great rebooted franchise on my list. Didn't hit me like Human Revolution did, but this still might be bit better game overall. Level design is phenomenal. Loved how the game was able to adress the problems with boss fights in the earlier game.
Mostly by not having them, but when there was, fighting wasn't only option.
Not sure if the devs took any cues from Witcher (probably not enough time had passed for that), but side quests were some of the best content in this game too. It's a travesty if this wont get another sequel, it's very clear that there are still things to discover and a story to tell.

5. Dota 2: Among original Counter-Strike's different versions and World of Warcraft, this is the game I've put most hours into, pretty sure about that. It's free to play model is best in the business, the game is deep and challenging. If I'd let the community affect my opinion on the game, this wouldn't be anywhere near my TOP 10. But I'll try to disregard it for purposes of giving credit where credit is due.

6. MGSV: Superb gameplay! While the story and how it was told didn't seem to impress many of the Kojima worshippers, I didn't mind it that much. The game was still very clever in it's design and has those funny gimmicks, which is what I personally love in MGS games. Maybe you are already noticing a theme with some of my picks, the ability to improvise and succeed in missions in many different ways.

7. Ori and the Blind Forest: I'm not really into metroidvania specifically. But the fluid gameplay, beautiful presentation in sound and visuals with touching story won me over quickly.

8. Wolf Among Us: Second best thing to come from Telltale. Wasn't familiar with the direct source material, but ofcource familiar with most of the stories that the comic draws inspiration from. So it was interesting to see how those characters are turned into this gritty real world scenario.

9. Wasteland 2: I imagine this is something similar Fallout 3 could had been without Bethesda butting in. No disrespect to Obsidian and New Vegas. Once again, the many different ways to play and variety in outcomes. Also the reactions from the NPC:s and even your own team members that you control. The setting I also appreciate, sword and dragon fantasy world for RPG:s is bit over done to my taste already.

10. Link between the worlds: LttP being my favorite Zelda game, I don't think this needs much explanation. The painting mechanic was simple but fun. The game hit right into my sense of nostalgia.

Honorable mentions: Firewatch, Inside, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, Life is Strange, Tales from the Borderlands. And a game that would definitely be in my TOP 10 if it wasn't a remaster, Grim Fandango.

1. Bloodborne
2. Fatal Frame V
3. Until Dawn
4. RiME
5. Zombie Army Trilogy
6. The Evil Within
7. Final Fantasy Type 0 HD
8. Shadow of Mordor
9. Dark Souls 3
10. Breath of The Wild

1. Mario Kart 8
2. Rocket League
3. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
4. Steep
5. Splatoon
6. Star Fox Zero
7. Pikmin 3
8. Zelda A Link Between Worlds
9. Zelda Breath of the Wild
10. Nintendo Land

hydruxo

In no particular order (but TW3 is #1 for sure)

The Witcher 3
Overwatch
Destiny
Uncharted 4
Rocket League
The Witness
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet & Clank
Until Dawn
Star Wars Battlefront

So many awesome games this gen. Started slow but it has really hit its stride in the last two years.

Godcannon

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - I bought a Wii U 2 years ahead of time to get it, went almost complete media blackout(proof is here on GAF!), and it delivered (for me). I know people that played XBC wouldn't agree which is fine, but this is the game I wanted for so damn long. Best open world I've ever explored, and amazingly (sometimes a little frustrating) deep and complex amount of content. Despite the criticism it gets, I really enjoyed the story/twists and I'm not sure exploration has ever been better with a flying mech that transforms into a ground vehicle. I have put in about 200 hours and counting.

2. Bloodborne - One of the most brilliant, horrifying action RPGs. While I enjoyed Demons Souls, the Victorian Horror setting and faster paced combat perfected the series for me. It was more scary than most horror games and taught me the best lesson of all: Get Gud, because fuck you, Bloodborne.

3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze- people were upset when this launched, which I later came to find out was because it wasn't a new Metroid they had hoped for. That is fucking shameful. I have no issue with people wanting a new metroid, but they went about it all wrong, and the greatest DK game of all time should have been met with a much warmer reception as it is a masterpiece. Challenging, fun, and beautiful.

4. Doom- They finally got it right after so long, and it was worth the wait. Doom revitalized the franchise for me (big fan of 1 and 2, maybe a lil 3), and it's intensity mixed with over the top brutal animations took the original structure and added more fun to it. It did just about everything right. It runs really well for looking as good as it does, the music is fantastic, and the intensity has been maxed out.

5. Rocket League- Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars 2 is everything I love about video games. I was a big fan of soccer growing up, and played for 11 years, however I was never into realistic soccer games like fifa, more like Mega Man Soccer....which was like more than 20 years ago..... RL is one the most well balanced, creative, and replayable sports games ever. The following is now huge, and I have played over 2500 matches myself (lvl 50 master). Also got me my first platinum trophy, and is what I have mostly utilized the ps share record feature for (10 Gigs of crazy goals) Even my friends, who generally dislike soccer, love Rocket League with a passion. I also love the ongoing support from the devs, who continue to add more and more awesome ideas like Hoops.

6. Nier Automata- A truly unique work of art. I appreciate games like this because they go against the same repetitive formulas that AAA games do over and over. Unique storytelling that is very thought provoking and leaves you right in the middle of both happy and sad, and it is mixed in with insane gameplay and fantastic music. A wonderful experience that is meant for those with an open mind.

Honorable mentions- Mortal Kombat XL, Mario Kart 8 (deluxe is better),Injustice 2.

Honorable mention to Indies- Towerfall Ascension/Dark World dlc, Curses N Chaos, Transistor, Bro force, all fantastic games, and great fun with friends.

I am still playing and need time to finish, but I believe these will make the final list.

-Titanfall 2
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Alien Isolation
-Bayonetta 1 and 2
-Nioh
-Soma
-REmake

I'm sure I forgot a thing ot two, but all in all this is about right.

Drayco21

1. Titanfall 2
2. Gundam Breaker 3
3. Heroes of the Storm
4. Digimon World: Next Order
5. Overwatch
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
7. Doom
8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
9. Transformers Devastation
10. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

Wozman23

1. Thumper
Thumper is a rhythm game unlike any other, that iterates on simple, tight, lean gameplay mechanics through a foreboding world that at times elicits anxiety. As a guy who appreciates music theory, the progressive complexity of the rhythm components, like the use of unconventional time signatures, only makes it so much more impressive.​
2. Snake Pass
In a genre that's been around for decades, Snake Pass ambitiously strays from the normal conventions of platformers. Controlling a snake, with no legs and no ability to jump would seem like an idea an insane man would come up with, but it is executed extremely well with a simple three button system. Learning and understanding those mechanics take some time, but once they click, there is a sense of satisfaction unrivaled by even the most technical of platformers. On top of that, the art style and audio are charming.​
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
Juxtaposing robotic creatures and dinosaurs with old-world bow combat was ambitious, but it works so well. The world is rich with lore, and from the second the story starts to unfold, it had its hooks in me. It's one of the best looking games visually, and especially impressive considering the huge open world. I could waste hours in photo mode.​
4. Resogun
Resogun merged old-school arcade gameplay with modern flair, thanks primarily to Housemarque's crazy voxel tech. The base game was challenging and addictive, and the additional DLC brought completely new experiences. The robust ship editor allowed for some really great customization as well.​
5. Velocity 2X
I've been hooked on this franchise since the original PS mini. It blends the platforming and SHMUP genres in organic, rhythmic fashion to create challenging gameplay that makes you feel otherworldly when mastered. The audio is infectious as well.​
6. Little Nightmares
It's like a horror-inspired, dystopian LittleBigPlanet. Comparisons to INSIDE are pretty much unavoidable, but Little Nightmares establish a unique sense of self thanks to its extremely warped and grotesque characters who inhabit The Maw. While many indie games are focused on providing lean, well thought out, polished, short experiences - which it does well - it is one of the first to leave me hungry for so much more.​
7. The Order: 1886
This isn't a popular opinion, but I loved everything about The Order - the characters, the atmosphere, the Tesla inspired weapons. Most impressive was the ebb and flow of the gameplay and the way it was interspersed with narrative. It felt like the evolution of the cinematic game. It's disheartening that more people didn't see it through my eyes as I'd love to see where the story was going.​
8. Unravel
When Unravel debuted at E3, it stole the entire show for me. The release was a fantastic mix of beauty, art, and emotion. Yarny was such a lovely designed character, who really elicited empathy through terrific animations. The environments were gorgeous as well. Every single detail was crafted with a ton of love.​
9. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime doesn't really fit in a category. It's a weird mix of a platformer and a twin stick shooter, with a tactical twist. Weapons and their upgrades are all fun to experiment with, especially in such a vibrant, neon world. Whether playing solo, or with three friends, it's a joy.​
10. Rocket League
I rarely like multiplayer. Even rarer, I hardly ever play competitive multiplayer. I was really late to the Rocket League party, but once I spent some time with it, I found a lot of joy from what would seem to be such a simple concept.​

Top Bottom