• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elandyll

Banned
Not sure it's gonna go well, let's remain civil people, but never having had the faintest interest in anything F-Zero, and having bought a PS1 precisely in order to play WipeOut, I'm going to have to go to that one by default.

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

HOWEVER

F-Zero GX is perfect. It's the only arcade racer I would ever put above WipEout HD/Fury for any reason.
This seems about right. Wipeout is a better overall series, but F-Zero GX is probably the best racing game I've ever played.

For me, F-zero. I could never get into wipeout despite wanting to like it, despite much flashier art design in many ways wipeout always felt like it had less 'character' to me. More than anything I just didn't like the way it handled compared to f-zero and I'm a big fan of the weaponless 'purity' of f-zero (though admittedly I loved how savage you can be up close if you know what you're doing with well timed shunts or spins in X :p )

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I like F-Zero better, but WipeOut is cool too (spent quite a bunch of time on the PS3 version).

KORNdoggy

Wipeout. but i've only experienced the snes version of f-zero and just thought it was a bad mario kart, so maybe i just need to play some of the other versions?

F-Zero because it feels a lot faster than Wipeout, has much more precise controls (particularly GX) and the soundtrack is timeless. The music in Wipeout is just... not very good.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Star-Wars-Episode-I-Racer-N64.jpg

NoKisum

I've never played enough of either to declare which franchise is GOAT.

But I've always had a strong preference towards Wipeout since Pulse (I missed out on Pure). I think I had the original Wipeout on PC, but my young gamer self had no idea how to play properly.

F-Zero, meanwhile, had my greatest exposure through the SNES and GBA games, which I wasn't really feeling.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wipeout is a far more consistent series than F-Zero. You could make the case that any of the last 5(!) WipEout games is the best in the series on its own merits (although HD/Fury claims the content crown with ease).

All the Wipeout games have horrible floaty driving controls.

It loses by default for anyone that values, you know, good gameplay in their video games.

ianpm31

Wipeout is a bit like Crash Bandicoot and CTR in that they're pretty average but because PlayStation only gamers can't play FZero, Mario or Mario Kart they're suddenly amazing and completely over rated.

Or maybe it's the other way around. Every latest nintendo game is the "greatest ever" until the next nintendo game releases ..

hertog

Wipeout is fifa, it has got the presentation, Music, menu's, etc.

F-zero is pes, more bare-boned but godlike gameplay

kadotsu

Banned
GX and HD Fury are tied AFAIK with GX having the deeper shoulder button play while HD Fury has better tracks and modes. If someone asked me for a recommendation I would go WipEout every time because the controls are way more intuitive.

F-Zero

The original was another system seller for SNES and remains classic. X is one of the few N64 games I really liked, and GX was pretty bonkers. The series muuuusic, god damn. Couldn't tell you about any of the other ones.

Wipeout is cool, though. It was a worthy rival with a different feel and different strengths, and became a dependable name of quality and polish with every generation. If F-Zero is Street Fighter, Wipeout is Virtua Fighter.

LCGeek

formerly sane
They do different things this like me comparing outrun, trackmania, burnout, forza horizon and PGR. That being said fzero gave me far more challenge than wipeout did so I leans towards it. The only other game with as much is trackmania especially hard levels and getting developer times or better.

HoodWinked

fzero gx is a game that shouldnt exist.

a racing game developed by av/sega using nintendo's IP.

game is an anomaly in time and space.

wipeout is fucking training wheels compared to fzero gx.

tzare

All the Wipeout games have horrible floaty driving controls.

It loses by default for anyone that values, you know, good gameplay in their video games.
WipeOut has excellent gameplay. Just because it doesn't fit your style or tastes it doesn't mean it's is bad. I find it much more difficult to master than any fzero, but seeing high level players is a joy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
F-Zero. I don't even know how this is a debate. Like, Wipeout was cool as shit when I was a kid, but the actual gameplay just doesn't feel that good. F-Zero GX is like 14 years old and still completely fucking amazing. It's as good as racing games get.

Mesoian

Actually F-Zero GX is F-Zero perfected. Wipeout's still playing catchup.

The most interesting thing about F-Zero GX is that, were it released today, in 2017, of the thing that make that game so special would likely get patched out due to balance.

F-Zero GX is a near perfect racing game. Wipeout is good, even great sometimes, but not close to perfect. How anyone can think any Wipeout is better than that game, I'll never understand.

Wipeout brought British Garage and Techno to the states. I love the F-Zero soundtrack dearly, but Wipeout will always be more important simply for introducing me to Prodigy.

EXACTLY.
Introduced me to electornic music, graphic design and Warp records.

boxoctosis

F Zero GX, the only game ever to capture the thrill of Daytona in the home.

Wipeout is lovely as well, just not quite as lovely.

Lunar15

F-Zero X and GX nail a specific feel. I grew up on em, so it was hard to get into wipeout whenever I tried.

I assume there's an appeal to Wipeout that I just don't have because I was already spoiled by what F-Zero offered.

Top Bottom