• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 10 Games from the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Switch Gen

With E3 just two weeks away, I can't help but reflect on my favorite games so far this gen. For fun, list the 10 games you have enjoyed most in this PS4/XB1/Wii U/early Switch generation. If you can't come up with 10 games, then include your favorite 5. Write as much or as little as you'd like for why each game is on your list.

1. The Witcher 3
This is BY FAR my number 1 choice for this gen. The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, but this game isn't far behind. The writing is SO GOOD, characters are some of the best in gaming, side quests are shockingly engaging and mature, atmosphere is engrossing, and I really enjoyed the combat too. Plus the game is MASSIVE. The Witcher 3 had me hooked for basically the entire summer of 2015. Then the 2 major expansions turned out to be incredible too.

2. Life is Strange
Life is Strange caught me totally by surprise. I absolutely loved spending time with those characters (especially Max and Chloe) and in that world. I've always had a soft spot for teen drama stories, and I also really enjoyed some great plot twists and some surprisingly touching moments. This game brought the feels.

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
The biggest surprise for me about this game is how much I loved its sci-fi story. I was hooked from start to finish as its mysteries emerged from the shadows. I also didn't expect Aloy to be so awesome. What a badass. The tactical combat against the huge variety of machines felt SO GOOD to play. I also thought the design of the main story missions was excellent. The graphics on PS4 Pro make this EASILY the most gorgeous game I've ever played.

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wonderful blend of exploration, tomb raiding, action, and cool set piece moments. Stunning graphics too. I had a total blast playing the game.

5. Uncharted 4
Excellent writing, characters, and storytelling. Another one of those jaw dropping graphical showcases too. Best gunplay in the series. A bit too much walking and climbing compared to other Uncharted games in my opinion.

6. Forza Horizon 3
Best driving game I've ever played. I'm not normally into these kind of games, but the joy of driving through Australia had me hooked for months. It felt and looked AMAZING. The game is absolutely packed with content too.

7. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Not quite as good as Deus Ex Human Revolution IMO, but a wonderful stealth action game. I always enjoyed the freedom to approach situations in a variety of ways, as well as upgrading my character's abilities.

8. Tales from the Borderlands
I don't even like the Gearbox Borderlands games much. But Telltale has crafted a hilarious, charming, and fun story to play. I loved everything about it.

9. Outlast
This game scared the shit out of me in all the right ways. What a wonderful and creepy setting. I enjoyed feeling powerless, and running/hiding from terrifying scenarios was thrilling.

10. Far Cry 4
The shooting felt so satisfying in this game. I also loved the setting, hunting animals, taking down outposts, and many of the other activities in the open world.

DaaMaadNess

Neo Member
1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Nier Automata
4. Uncharted 4
5. Zelda Breath of the Wild
6. Horizon Zero Dawn
7. Dark Souls 3
8. Overwatch
9. Mario Kart 8
10. The Last Guardian/Dishonored 2/Rocket League/Life is Strange/The Witness/Xenoblade Chronicles X (I don't know which one I'd choose)

If 3DS was admited I'd pick Pokemon Sun and Moon too. That game was REALLY extense, all things considered (like, you know, being a Pokemon game).

I wish I could add Metal Gear Solid 5. In terms of gameplay, I think is the best stealth game I've ever played. But after what happened after Arc 1... I can't. Worst let down ever.

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet.

I didn't like Inside that much.

In no particular order, outside of the first two:

Bloodborne
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon
DOOM
Furi
Resident Evil VII
Dark Souls III
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Shovel Knight

A few honorable mentions:

Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Evil Within
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Super Mario 3D World
Ori and the Blind Forest

I have yet to play Nier Automata (though I do own a copy). I think it has a pretty good shot of bumping something off my list once I do.

1. Doom

Revitalised and refreshed my favourite series in all the right ways. Absolute blast to play, gorgeous to boot, and completely gets what makes Doom so amazing. Can't wait to replay this Summer!

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

See above, pretty much!

3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Sublime platformer, absolute bliss to play, despite having a high difficulty curve.

4. Super Smash Bros Wii U

It's the best Smash yet. A wonderful swanswong (I still think they'll drag him back tho) for Sakurai.

5. Ratchet and Clank

Superb reimagining of the first title from Insomniac, and again just a joy to play through. Really hoping we eventually get a sequel after Spider-Man (which due to this game and Insomniac's general pedigree is my most anticipated upcoming title)

And... that's it! I really struggle to get to 10 outstanding games from this gen so far. Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 never really clicked with me, so I feel like I don't have very normative taste.

Any recommendations from ones I'm really missing out on? (I guess I'll just read the thread...)

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Hitman 2016
5. Dark Souls 3
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
7. Nioh
8. Metal Gear Solid 5
9. Doom
10. Driveclub

Khrno

Persona 5
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Far Cry 4
Atelier Firis
Disgaea 5
Xenoblade X
Hitman
Mario Kart 8
Atelier Sophie
Dishonored 2

I haven't played Horizon yet, will do it whenever I can get it 50% off, and I think if it doesn't make it to this top 10 for me, it would be close like Life is Strange and Hyrule Warriors.

Also, when FFXII releases in July, it will become the best game of this generation.

Edit: I missed Switch on the title, I thought it was only about PS4, X1 and Wii U. So I will not include BotW in here.

sinonobu

Banned
1.The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild
2.Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
3.Persona 5
4.Nier Aumata
5.Bayonetta 2
6.Overwatch
7.Gravity Rush 2
8.Titanfall 2
9.Shovel Knight
10.Splatoon

Kid Icarus: Uprising (unless 3DS doesn't count as part of this gen, I guess)
The Wonderful 101
Crimzon Clover: World Ignition
Bayonetta 2
The Evil Within
Furi
Metal Gear Solid V
Dark Souls III
Doom

opricnik

Banned
I dont see Wii U as same gen in others so no Wii U games from me

no order.

mortal kombat x
injustice 2
witcher 3
uncharted 4
overwatch
MGS Phantom Pain+Ground Zeroes
Plant vs Zombies Garden Warfare

if we count ports then add bayonetta PC if not okay.

beside listed games i didnt play any good game

essenn

1. Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
2. Bloodborne
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
4. Overwatch
5. Splatoon
6. Hitman Season 1
7. Metal Gear Solid V
8. Mario Kart 8
9. The Last Guardian
10. Super Mario 3D World / Life is Strange / Rainbow 6 Siege

parkinho

The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Transformers: Devastation
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
The Last Guardian
The Evil Within
DOOM
Furi
Hyper Light Drifter

Zelda is certainly top of the list with the position of others interchangeable.
Looking at this list makes me appreciate how amazing recent years have been.

Melchiah

1. Bloodborne
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
4 .What Remains of Edith Finch
5. Little Nightmares
6. ABZÛ
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
8. Driveclub
9. Resogun
10. Destiny

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1. The Witness: My game of the generation so far. I loved everything about this. One of the best puzzle games I've played, with an amazing concept behind it. Its 'open world' structure is the first time I've felt that approach benefitted gameplay. If you're stumped on a puzzle, go look somewhere else. Dropping a puzzle sometimes works wonders, because when you return with a fresh mind, sometimes you get it in a few minutes. There's even a whole metroidvania element to it: if you're running around the town in the beginning of the game, you can't decipher any of the puzzles because you haven't learned that 'code' yet. The upgrades in this game are knowledge, it's genius.

2. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze:
2D platform perfection. I'm actually hoping Retro's new game is a third DK title.
3. The Last Guardian: Like most Team ICO fans I waited years for this, and somehow after I beat it all that time didn't matter anymore. I expected great things, but I even liked it more than ICO and SOTC. I loved Trico's behaviour and the bond you develop over the hours. I can see some of the complaints people have, but for me it was a near flawless experience, apart from the camera acting up sometimes. The hours of buildup lead to a finale that is just unforgettable and deeply moving. My favorite video game ending since The Last of Us.
4. The Swapper: impressions in this thread. Brilliant puzzle game.
5. INSIDE: Playdead takes everything they've learned from Limbo, and make something more polished and refined with Inside. What impressed me is the smooth transition between 'chapters'. Each section flows perfectly into the next, and it really feels like one continuous experience. The game is also best when played in a single session to enhance this effect. So the short length is a plus more than anything.
Inside also shows restraint: there are mechanics that other games would milk 20 puzzles out of, but Playdead just gives us a few, and then we move on. It shows how needlessly padded and stretched out other games are. So obviously I'd say that the pacing is on point
6. Tales from the Borderlands: After finishing this game I was ecstatic and over the moon. It'd been a really long time since a videogame story and its characters did this much for me, but Tales is really on another level. It's so rare that a genuinely funny game comes along, and this it. That it combines this with great writing and directing is just icing on the cake.
7. TLOZ: A Link between Worlds: homage to a classic with some great twists thrown in, mostly in the way items are handled.
8. Undertale: I love games that subvert your expectations, and Undertale does that constantly. It breaks the fourth wall all the time, with eccentric and quirky characters. At the same time though, it also has a very strong emotional core. Even though there's a strong comedy element to this game, it still has a lot of heart and manages to sell both sides of the coin perfectly. There are times when you'll love the game for mocking rpg staples, then other times where you get gut-punched by strong story moments. It reminded me of golden age Simpsons in this way, where the barrage of jokes could be mixed up with a sweet 'syrup' moment, but still work. The characters are very unique and interesting, and they all behave differently depending on the path you take.
9. Doom: DOOM is back with a downright outstanding campaign, even outmatching Wolf TNO for me. The action is incredibly frantic, and the glory kill system (melee finishers) is a great addition to the combat.
10. Bloodborne

Honorable mentions: Ori, Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter, Alien: Isolation, Watch Dogs 2, Breath of the Wild and Mario 3D World. Playing Nioh right now and it deserves a mention as well, as does DkS III.

The Witcher 3
Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
The Last Guardian
Arkham Knight
Hitman
Uncharted 4
Shovel Knight
Child of Light
Inside

1. The Witcher 3
2. Star Wars Battlefront
3. MGS V
4. Horizon
5. No Man's Sky
6. Uncharted 4
7. Final Fantasy XV
8. Driveclub
9. Life is Strange
10. Battlefield 1

Suzzopher

Resogun
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
N++
DriveClub
Axiom Verge
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Final Fantasy XV

Big shouts for Yakuza 0, King of Fighters XIV, Shovel Knight, Alienation, Diablo 3 Metal Gear Solid V and Destiny.

Moaradin

In no particular order

Bloodborne
Wonderful 101
Nier: Automata
Undertale
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
Bayonetta 2
Furi
Street Fighter V
Splatoon
Wind Waker HD

xviper

1-The witcher 3
2-The legend of zelda, Breath of the wild
3-MGS V
4-Bloodborne
5-Overwatch
6-Destiny
7- Resident evil 7
8- Forza Horizon 3
9-Ori and the blind forest
10- Rise of the tomb raider

the list may change, i always change my mind, but the top 3 won't change unless a new masterpiece comes out

Jimrpg

1. Yakuza 0 - Possibly in my top 3 games of all time, its that good. The most well executed story in a game I've seen yet, not a dull moment in sight. Filled to the brim with content. Review.

2. Steins;Gate - If you like story - you HAVE to play this game/visual novel. A science fiction romp about a group of students who invent a time machine. Review.

3. The House in Fata Morgana - Another VN, another GREAT story. It resolves around a mansion over a period of time and the inhabitants inside. It slowly comes together for a delicious finale. Review.

4. Dirt Rally - Without question the best racing game/ with the best driving physics out right now. Review.

5. Driveclub - Harshly criticised on release due to lack of multiplayer, this game never recovered from that, and the team is no longer around. But they left behind an incredible arcade racing game with stacks of content. Over 100 tracks here from 7 locations and a HUGE single player campaign if you include the season pass AND the bikes package. Review.

6. Nioh - The combat mechanics are superb here as is most other aspects, game performance, presentation. The story is absolutely throwaway though, which is disappointing because it looks like they tried but failed.

7. The Witcher 3 - This is a brilliant game for about 30 hours, unfortunately the second half just isn't as good, and the missions get very samey. But overall it raised the bar on adventure RPGs. Review.

8. Dungeon Travelers 2 - A huge surprise, I didn't know dungeon crawlers could be this good. Everything in this game is beautifully designed and the options to customise your characters with skills are endless. Which is a problem because the game is hard and characters need to be specced carefully otherwise they get demolished in battle.

9. Diablo 3 : Reaper of Souls - Blizzard polish. Endless replayability. It is a bit repetitive on the second play through but I really enjoyed my first run. Review.

10. The Witness - I haven't finished this yet, but I've been meaning to go back. Getting the hang of the puzzles and completing them were thrilling. Getting stuck for ages is kinda not though. Review.

Honourable Mentions:

NBA 2k15 - Pretty sweet basketball game that delivers every year.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 - Still got that PS3 jank, but its super satisfying playing this. Review.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - A game that comes alive with mods. I installed tons of new roads, countries, trucks to make the base game better. I can drive from Portugal to Russia and from Greece to Sweden.

EDIT: Added my reviews if people want to read more of what I thought of the games.

Witcher 3
MGSV
Dark Souls 3
Rocket League
Hitman
Forza Horizon 3
Sunset Overdrive
Zelda ALBW
Abzu
Bloodborne

Honorable mentions: Doom, Titanfall 2, Overwatch

JarlRaven

In no particular order:

Persona 5 - my favorite of the Hashino directed Persona games. The themes of rebellion and breaking out of your comfort zone resonate strongly with me.

Witcher III: Wild Hunt - the 1st game that realized a high fantasy world that I was helplessly compelled to. The game I compare every upcoming RPG release to.

Yakuza 0 - Loved the pulpy crime drama story in this game but the absolute highlight was the side stories which could stand toe to toe to W3 in terms of narrative payoff. Beyond hyped for Kiwami and 6.

Super Mario 3D World - Co-oping this game with 3 friends remains one of my most cherished gaming memories ever. Just pure hectic self-preservationist fun.

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard - brought back memories of the heyday of classic survival horror and I couldn't be happier for it.

Hitman Season 1 - The true successor to Blood Money. Playing with opportunites off and minimalist AI has led to some of the greatest emergent gaming experiences I have ever had. Retains the unique brand of Hitman humor throughout as well.

Bloodborne - The pinnacle of From Software's output, one of the most prolific and influential developers of the current generation.

DOOM - Old school level design with relentless action that constantly has you moving and shooting makes this my favorite FPS campaign of the current generation. Surprisingly good boss fights as well.

Overwatch - The only competitive shooter I've sunk 100+ hours into this generation, which I haven't done since Gears of War 3/Halo 3/MW2.

Rocket League - A simple concept turned into an endlessly fun pick up and play experience. Like 3D World this game is all about having a good time.

Honorable Mentions: The Last Guardian, Dishonored 2, MGSV, Uncharted 4

1. SFV- My go to game of the gen.

2. Bloodborne- Masterpiece in game design. One of the only adventure/ rpgs that made me feel the sense of dread. It also has my #1 gaming level this gen: The forest.

3. Horizon- you're surrounded by glinthawks and mechanical ram beasts.. you run out of arrows and result to using a weapon you barely ever use; the slingshot. You lob a sticky bomb onto a hawk what seems like a mile away, it drops and you jump a hundred feet off a cliff with an attack to finish it off.. only to gain the attention of a stormbird!

4. U4- a wonderful and magical experience.

5. The Witcher 3- a game that would be higher if I ever finished it. The Red Baron side quest alone was better than some full games.

6. Persona 5- I love this game so much.

7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood- if this game was a lil longer it'd be number 1! Roller coasters, killer clowns and shotguns.

8. Overwatch- amazing game. Had to stop playing cause I were buying to many loot boxes.

9. MK8D- do I need to elaborate? It's Mario Kart!
10. Destiny- Destiny had its hooks into me at one point... I actually miss my character.

HDRcze

Neo Member
No particular order, except for Zelda BOTW
Zelda BOTW - My number one this gen
Persona 5
Disgaea 5
Life is strange
Wolfenstein TNO - The biggest surprise of this gen
Bayonetta 2
Alien Isolation
Splatoon
SOMA
Super Mario 3D World

The Top 10 is definitely going to change a bit, since I have Nier Automata, Last Guardian and Yakuza 0 in backlog, I also have great expectations from Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Oddysey, Yakuza Kiwami, Ys 8 and Danganronpa V3

shmoglish

The first place is reserved for Persona 5, cant rank the rest.

Bloodborne
Yakuza 0
Alien Isolation
Wolfenstein: The New Order
DOOM
Rocket League
Uncharted 4
The Witcher 3
Resident Evil 7 (it was great in Vr, so....)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. Splatoon
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. Shovel Knight
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Undertale
6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7. New Super Mario Bros. U
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
9. Titanfall 2
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

1. The Last Guardian
2. Uncharted 4
3. Overwatch
4. Gravity Rush (still need to play the sequel)
5. Persona 5
6. Until Dawn
7. Transistor
8. Batman: Arkham Knight
9. Danganronpa
10. Bloodborne

I still have so much from this year I need to play. An obscene amount.

LeChuck

Banned
Witcher 3 - one of the most impressive games I have ever played. At the time easily the best open world game. Naturalistic quest system. The no-loading cities are on of the most impressive aspects. You can see a city in the distance and ride into.

Breath of the wild - another really impressive open world with a totally different feel to the Witcher. Probably the best sense of exploration in a game so far (shame you can't swim though).

Mario kart 8 - best Mario kart and best multi-player game of the gen.

Mario - 3d world. Amazingly varied, excellent level design - also great multi-player.

Xenoblade X - amazing world. Plot is not quite up to standard of chronicles, but does many things better.

Nier automata - very memorable, weird and unique. Excellent soundtrack.

Bloodbourne - my favorite souls game. Excellent combat, fun challenge and really rally cool seeing.

Uncharted 4 - lots of jaw dropping moments graphically. Brilliant script and characterisation. Action was the best of the series.

Last guardian - beautiful, unique and big emotional impact.

Total Warhammer - (pc only) excellent realization of the Warhammer world (which has sadly been destroyed in the tabletop game).

Karu

Probably something like this...

1. Bloodborne
2. Yakuza 0
3. Overwatch
4. Rocket League
5. Transistor
6. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
7. DriveClub
8. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. The Witness

Honorable Mention: Battlefield 1, Until Dawn, DOOM

1. The Witcher 3
2. Overwatch
3. Bloodborne
4. Persona 5
5. Bayonetta 2
6. Nioh
7. Hitman
8. Metal Gear Solid V
9. Dark Souls 3
10. Yakuza 0

Majmun

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. Nier Automata
4. Persona 5
5. The Witness
6. The Last Guardian
7. Resident Evil 7 (thanks to VR)
8. Dying Light
9. Yakuza 0
10. Ratchet & Clank

Honorable mentions:

Thumper, Dark Souls III, Uncharted 4, Zelda BotW, Horizon, Mario Kart 8, Fallout 4

Worst game I've played:
7 Days to Die

RM8

Street Fighter V
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS
The King of Fighters XIV
Mortal Kombat X
Kero Blaster
Shovel Knight
Code Name STEAM
Downwell
Horizon Chase

I didn't respect platforms, sorry. There's 3DS and iOS stuff there :p

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Witcher 3
2. XCOM 2
3. Pillars of Eternity
4. Uncharted 4
5. Horizon
6. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7. Mario Kart 8
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider
9. Dragon Age: Inquisition
10. Dishonored 2

AzureFlame

For

PS4: Persona 5 and NiOh
X1: Nothing worth mentioning ( maybe ori, still haven't played it but looks super interesting)
Wii U: Super Smash
3DS: Kid Icarus
Switch: Zelda BotW and Mario Kart 8
Vita: Nothing worth mentioning

AudioEppa

1. Uncharted 4
2. Rocket League
3. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
4. Tales from the Borderlands
5. Firewatch
6. COD Advanced Warfare
7. Until Dawn
8. Mafia 3
9. Horizon Zero Dawn
10. ???

GamerJM

Banned
1. Fire Emblem Fates
2. Pokemon Sun/Moon
3. Fire Emblem Awakening
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
5. Virtue's Last Reward
6. I'lll.....put Rock Band 4 on this spot? I'm kind of hesitant to put it on a list at all since Harmonix fucked it up kinda, but it's still Rock Band at the end of the day.
7. Rayman Legends
8. Katawa Shoujo (part of this gen going by AniHawk's gen distinctions)
9. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
10. Geometry Wars 3

Haven't played Persona 5 yet, if I did it would probably rank somewhere around RB4/Rayman Legends and knock Geometry Wars 3 off the list.

jdstorm

Banned
In no particular order

Xenoblade Chronicles x
Super Mario 3D world
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Splatoon
The Wonderful 101
Assasins Creed: Black Flag
Steep
Destiny
Rocket League
Horizon Zero Dawn.

GHG

In no order:

Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4
Nioh
Prey
The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 2
Project Cars

Special mention to Horizon Zero Dawn but I've not finished it yet.

mrmickfran

1. Kid Icarus Uprising
2. Bloodborne
3. Persona 5
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. Bayonetta 2
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7. Super Mario 3D World
8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
9. Persona 4 Golden
10. Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kid Icarus and Bloodborne are in my top 10 of all time. Persona 5 is my goty 2017 with BOTW right behind it. Bayonetta 2 was my goty 2014, ALBW was 2013 with Mario right behind it. Spirit of Justice was goty 2016. Persona 4 was the only reason I got a Vita and Xenoblade is my most played Wii U game.

1. Zelda BotW
2. Bloodborne
3. Witcher 3
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Mario Kart 8
6. Smash Bros. WiiU
7. Pikmin 3
8. Mario 3D World
9. Pokemon Sun and Moon
10. Fire Emblem Awakening

Honorable Mentions: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on WiiU, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 (not on the list because I havent quite finished it yet), Xenoblade X (not on the list because I havent quite finished it yet), RE7 (revolutionary game considering VR but unfortunately it has some glaring issues, cough stealth sections cough cough), MGS V (havent finished it yet and base building seemed less interesting then with peace walker), Dark Souls 3 (not finished quite yet and feels to similar to Bloodborne at times)

bede-x

I think these are my favorites so far:

The Witness
Earth Defense Force 4.1
The Talos Principle
Super Mario 3D Land
Axiom Verge
SOMA
Inside
Dragon's Dogma PC
The Witcher 3
The Swapper

AAA has mostly gone to shit with bloated committee design, but there's so much good stuff among the smaller productions that it hasn't really hurt the generation.

Frobary

1. The Witcher 3
2. INSIDE
3. Overwatch
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
5. Forza Horizon 3
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. Fallout 4
8. Metal Gear Solid V
9. Life IS Strange
10. Ori and the Blind Forest

Roufianos

Witcher 3
Yakuza 0
Battlefront
Pokémon Sun & Moon
Nioh
Ratchet and Clank
Gears of War 4
The Last Guardian
Shadow of Mordor
Until Dawn

God, after R&C that lost got incredibly hard to expand. Too many games from my favourite franchises have dissapointed me. MGSV, U4, Arkham Knight and Fallout 4.

1. Wolfenstein TNO
2. Ratchet & Clank
3. DOOM
4. Uncharted 4
5. MGSV
6. Zelda BotW
7. Horizon Zero Dawn
8. Velocity 2X
9. Axiom Verge
10. Bayonetta 2

That said, I've still not caught up with a ton of amazing games that have released this year which could change the above drastically. Stuff like Nier and RE7. Nor have I tried Bloodborne yet.

In order of release without any ranking:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Bloodborne
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Dark Souls III
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Nier: Automata

Zelda and Nier are both in the upper half, but I'm not sure if enough time has passed for me to give a final say in where their exact ranking is. I also just started Persona 5 today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the list.

Apenheul

1. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
I didn't expect to be so impressed with the new Zelda but it made an open world actually interesting to explore with many meaningful distractions scattered around.

2. Dark Souls 3
At first I wasn't all that enthusiastic about DS3 but the DLC elevated it to perhaps my favorite in the series. I prefer it over Bloodborne because of the character build options.

3. Bloodborne
I consider Bloodborne a character action game based on Dark Souls mechanics and with its restricted level design and character build options it manages to have the best pacing of any From Software game. Also I really loved the Lovecraftian world.

4. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
My favorite handheld Fire Emblem by far, some people don't like the story which I can understand but I think the maps are the best in the series and the characters are pretty good too.

5. Super Mario Maker
Building your own Mario levels and getting feedback from the community is more rewarding than I could have anticipated. I also think that a million gamers can come up with better levels than Nintendo ever could, I played so many interesting levels that I can easily say that Super Mario Maker is the most interesting 2D Mario game for me.

6. The Witcher 3
What BOTW does for gameplay, The Witcher 3 does for storytelling. It's a really epic journey with some of the best side quests I've seen in gaming.

7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart has always been a special series to me, I still play the latest entry with the same people I played Super Mario Kart with more than 20 years ago.

8. Splatoon
The Splatoon appeal for me is a combination of the addicting gameplay (Turf Wars) and the world and characters. It's just so 'fresh'.

9. Yakuza 0
I only started playing this a couple of weeks ago and it's my first Yakuza game but immediately I was really impressed. Maybe it's because I travel to Asia for work a lot but no other game recreates the city life so well.

10. DOOM
I hardly play first person shooters anymore because I don't like playing them on consoles and I didn't have a gaming PC until earlier this year but DOOM really brought back that energy that old iD Software games were known for. I also really liked the glory kills which I expected to interrupt the flow but instead afforded an awesome risk / reward system.

Top Bottom