• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory website update

Madman

Opus Angelorum said:
Why indeed it was.

I still think this new game will be a PSN title, unless Ninja Theory have a much bigger team than I thought.

I like the concept art, a touch of Patapon in there.
If I'm not mistaken. Surfer Girl said a new HS was coming this year. It would be very impressive if true because last I hear their team is only around 20-30 people. All I can think is that they are very efficient at building a game from art to level design and the outside help from Sony really adds to what they can accomplish.

Aeon712

It'll take all the things we loved about Heavenly Sword and make them bigger and better than ever before.
And hopefully longer, either way it'll be a day 1 like Heavenly Sword was.

Aeon712 said:
And hopefully longer, either way it'll be a day 1 like Heavenly Sword was.

yep, give me npc, an epic quest...the damn gameworld was designed for that...the HS gameworld was very beautiful, but you could hardly explore any of it

Ceb

davygee said:
Right, looking at the artwork it looks like some old classic games.

Abe's Odyssey
Flashback
Beneath a Steel Sky

Haha, those are the exact same games the artwork reminded me of. Not a bad thing, I guess.

tino

Banned
I don't like the concept art. Looks like really meh post apocalyptic world. A low rent version of the machine world in Matrix.

I hope they go back to Heavenly Sword 2. But they got to work up some new gimmick to get people to buy it. I think this is Phil Harrison's responsibility to make HS2 good.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
DMPrince said:
Don't lie to me. I hope that's the truth ;(

The reason I said it is because I think it's the LEAST possible scenario. :p Sure they could make a PSP game and port it to PS2 and Wii, but a game made for the Wii in mind and then ported over to other systems? Not happening. I'm pretty sure Raving Rabbids is the only game to do that so far.

VonGak!

Banned
MrHicks said:
newconcept1.jpg

newconcept2.jpg

newconcept3.jpg

newconcept4.jpg

newconcept5.jpg

newconcept6.jpg

newconcept7.jpg

newconcept8.jpg

collection

Too Human vibe ^.^

EDIT: BEneath a Steel Sky, that's indeed a much better call though it lacks the cow.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
WhatRuOn said:
thewonderfultrackrecordofthedeveloper.gif

KFC - critically acclaimed but didn't sell well. Has a pretty good cult-following.HS - critically acclaimed and sold pretty well. Almost a million according to all reports.

So...not a bad track record so far...

Cheeto

Spank_Magnet said:
KFC - critically acclaimed but didn't sell well. Has a pretty good cult-following.HS - critically acclaimed and sold pretty well. Almost a million according to all reports.

So...not a bad track record so far...
I've never had someone consider 5/10's, "critically acclaimed"...but alright.

Basch

Damn. I was just joking around. Didn't think my prediction would actually come true. Well, I can chalk one down now. Yay, for Ninja Theory. Though, when I made the prediction I thought it would be a sequel to Heavenly Sword, or, at least, Heavenly Sword 2 in essence. Now I don't know. Looks entirely different. Hmmm. Somehow, I just got a little bit excited about this secret project. Heavenly Sword or not, I'll be following this game very closely. :D

WhatRuOn said:

You can tell yourself that.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Crusade said:
Sony basically rebuilt them from near-bankruptcy so I doubt they're bailing on eachother

lol. NT built their own company (admittedly they were signed to Sony but the above statement reads as if Sony had some sort of say in the growth of the company).

Madman

tino said:
I don't like the concept art. Looks like really meh post apocalyptic world. A low rent version of the machine world in Matrix.

I hope they go back to Heavenly Sword 2. But they got to work up some new gimmick to get people to buy it. I think this is Phil Harrison's responsibility to make HS2 good.
Wait, what? How would he even go about doing that?

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Madman said:
Didn't they have people from Sony Cambridge help with their game though? They aren't a first party studio, but there is definitely a close working relationship.

Yeah.

Sony Cambridge staff have been working on many Sony titles. There was some stories kicking around that Sony Cambridge had to "bail out" NT and that they "saved" HS but that is entirely untrue.

Crusade

Spank_Magnet said:
lol. NT built their own company (admittedly they were signed to Sony but the above statement reads as if Sony had some sort of say in the growth of the company).
From what I know, back when they were Just Add Monsters they were nearly or were bankrupt but managed to pull themselves out of it thanks to Sony's help. I believe this was according to Nina Kristensen

pswii60

Madman said:
Wait, what? How would he even go about doing that?
Phil whips them until they come up with something good.
Spank_Magnet said:
Sony Cambridge staff have been working on many Sony titles. There was some stories kicking around that Sony Cambridge had to "bail out" NT and that they "saved" HS but that is entirely untrue.
I don't think it was far off the mark. HS itself even says "A Sony Cambridge Game".

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
WhatRuOn said:

Metacritic has it at 68 out of 100 with user rating of 8.6 out of 10. A bit more criticallly acclaimed than 5/10 ;-)

VonGak!

Banned
Spank_Magnet said:

And now they are bailing out KZ2 just like they did with Dirt. ^.^ Internet journalism is so entertaining.

pswii60

Spank_Magnet said:
Metacritic has it at 68 out of 100 with user rating of 8.6 out of 10. A bit more criticallly acclaimed than 5/10 ;-)
"Critically acclaimed" would be referring to the 68/100 figure from the actual critics, though.
VonGak! said:
And now they are bailing out KZ2 just like they did with Dirt. ^.^ Internet journalism is so entertaining.
If the rumours were true, and I said previous, HS does say "A Sony Cambridge Game", then I think Cambridge actually just helped out with the technology side of things. It seems that Camrbidge's main focus so far this gen has been helping with the shared technology.

VonGak!

Banned
pswii60 said:
Phil whips them until they come up with something good.

I don't think it was far off the mark. HS itself even says "A Sony Cambridge Game".

Aren't they also sharing the same offices?

Nolan.

I really like the art whatever it is, would be nice to see them do a complete overhaul and it turns out to be Hs.

Dibbz

kaching said:
They're pulling a Samurai Jack. Nariko wakes up in a dystopian future.
That would be one hell of a twist on the game, and if done right it could be amazing. Although I didn't mind the time period they had for HS, your idea would be a breath of fresh air. Not totally industrial but a nice mix with organic settings like the forests and fields we see in the concepts.

Also Samurai Jack kicked ass so it's all good :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Even better production quality than HS? Great news, I was worried that HS didn't sell well for them to have that kind of budget for their next game, but I hope they can go ahead and make something even bigger and better.

As for tech, HS graphics engine could be reused as-is almost, just with some optimizations to get better framerate and less artifacting shadows, they only need to work on an even more seamless loading and overall glitch-elimination from their engine.

Atomspike

I hope that Alessandro Taini (HS senior artist) is working on this project .

his artistic touch is the best thing i liked in Heavenly Sword .

Basch

Spank_Magnet said:

I'm sorry, but Metacritic and Gamerankings are shite. They have terrible policies that bar off otherwise credible sources. They are not user interactive, and, even if, they could have noted many of the more famous sites that many people go by. I'm trying to discourage the two as sources. They don't even serve their own objective: to provide one complete comprehensive location to navigate through influential media informants (for a rather technical term). In that case, it sucks. It truly does.

gcubed said:
i hope it is, HS to me was like Motorstorm

i enjoyed both games, but the potential far outweighed what was delivered. A 2nd HS (like a second Motorstorm) will be welcomed with open arms by me

Agreed.

Visualante said:
It's called sort of want. Heavenly Sword shelved until God of War runs its course.

Good point. I can't imagine NT would want to put an action game up against GoW3. The hype machine for GoW is beyond huge.

prodystopian said:
Good point. I can't imagine NT would want to put an action game up against GoW3. The hype machine for GoW is beyond huge.

Assuming this is HS2, I doubt they're worried about GoW3 since it seems to be a long way away.

Dever

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
From one of the mods on their forums (referring to GDC obviosuly).

Fuck yeah. Did anyone even predict a new game announcement from Ninja Theory? "GDC is not E3" people just got owned. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm.

They went on and on about their hopes for HS as a franchise.

But now this sounds like they're leaving HS behind. Doing something perhaps spiritually similar, but they're not saying it's a new HS.

Nor are they saying who they're developing for (what publisher).

But they do say it's got everyone they've spoken to about it excited. Does that sound like they're shopping it around to anyone else?

Has Sony let them go? I had a slight impression that maybe Sony wasn't entirely happy with how HS turned out, but maybe I'm wrong..afterall, they did include it alongside Motorstorm in their EU bundles..

I just get a certain vibe from their new site. No mentions of publisher relationships or relationships with Sony going forward etc.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
Hmmm.

They went on and on about their hopes for HS as a franchise.

But now this sounds like they're leaving HS behind. Doing something perhaps spiritually similar, but they're not saying it's a new HS.

Nor are they saying who they're developing for (what publisher).

But they do say it's got everyone they've spoken to about it excited. Does that sound like they're shopping it around to anyone else?

Has Sony let them go? I had a slight impression that maybe Sony wasn't entirely happy with how HS turned out, but maybe I'm wrong..afterall, they did include it alongside Motorstorm in their EU bundles..

I just get a certain vibe from their new site. No mentions of publisher relationships or relationships with Sony going forward etc.

It's HS2.

Luckyman said:
HS franchise should be buried. Hopefully this is a new IP.

Man i'm glad people at game companies don't think like this. HS had its issues but it's clearly got alot of potential. If people were to just toss franchises whenever the first game doesn't turn out focus then we would've never got ZOE2.

TAFKAA

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Nope.

Didn't they develop Kung Fu Chaos for the Xbox?

- it will be a SONY game
- Ninja Theory and SONYs Cambridge Studio share the same building now
- former NT members are working for SONY Cambridge now
- former SONY Cambridge Studio members are working for NT now
- SONYs Cambridge Studio helped them with Heavenly Sword

I hope I could help you ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deepbrown said:
It's HS2.

Well, they say it's a new concept..

I mean, maybe their working on a new concept for Sony, but if they were still with Sony, I'd have thought a more direct sequel to HS was likely.

I've asked them on their boards if they can confirm a publisher or if they're looking for one now or what :p And what the deal is with HS. We'll see if they say anything.

Top Bottom