• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forefront of sexuality.

PES has a pretty in-depth graphical menu but to change the resolution or go from windowed to full screen you have to launch a separate exe from the steam folder. Weird.
6A2F30AD35775437B7F06D8CAD632C79BF5357EF
Slide tackles woot, sadly the physics seem a bit more canned than Fifa and there's teleportation about

derFeef

Prey not having HUD options is not something I expected from Arkane. The mod or config does not really work for me, sadly. I would love a toggle or some kind of dynamic HUD.

They might just equal Steam with West. I also suspect a specific 1st party might want to have an edge in Asia.

But I doubt Sony would ask K-T to regionlock stuff like Attack on Titan or Bandai-Namco to regionlock some games of theirs.

At first people thought "might be right-issues", but then it turned out it cant be. Like why is Xenoverse 1 not available, but 2 is? Why was Naruto regionlocked till the Naruto Collection a few weeks ago? Why is OP Burning Blood available, but not the other 2 games?

Edit: And even then the sales of games on Steam should show them, especially from XSeed stuff or IdeaFactory how important China could be.

Jimrpg

The game has awful region-specific pricing all around. Regardless of the edition/region, it's at best fairly cheaper on CD Keys, which is utterly ridiculous.

I can't imagine paying $109 NZ dollars vs getting it on CD Keys - does Steam get a cut of physical copies sold on CD Keys?

Also russian price is 2999 rubles 🤑

I think region pricing is going to go away soon. Many of the AAA publishers have done away with it. I'm expecting KT to be next, lets see what DW9 is going to cost on Steam.

I honestly wonder whats wrong with japanese publishers....

It's gotta be PC = Piracy or PC = something could go wrong because of random hardware. That's how I'm intepreting it.

It's gotta be PC = Piracy or PC = something could go wrong because of random hardware. That's how I'm intepreting it.

But shouldnt stuff like the IdeaFactory games, some XSeed games or even stuff like PUBG where most owners are from China show them that it cant be that anymore?

I think region pricing is going to go away soon. Many of the AAA publishers have done away with it. I'm expecting KT to be next, lets see what DW9 is going to cost on Steam.

K-T is doing it in China for the stuff they think would sell good in China. Atelier has chinese regional pricing, but stuff like Sanada costs more than in America...

I can't imagine paying $109 NZ dollars vs getting it on CD Keys - does Steam get a cut of physical copies sold on CD Keys?

If that was the case, they'd see no PC release at all.

derFeef

Since Death of the Outsider is coming out now, where does it fit in time-wise?
Should I play D2 first or can I jump into this?

Deques

In speaking of overpriced games.
NBA 2K18 costs 90 euro for the Legend Edition and 140 euro for the Legend Edition Gold
There is no base game for sale at all

Two months after the end of Dishonored 2

For as incredible as the world and level design of the Dishonored series are it's kind of odd how poor the story and unmemorable the characters are. Still super excited given the former tho.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's set two months after 2, but you should be fine as it follows Billie Lurk's quest to track down Daud. I doubt the campaign will touch much on Corvo or Emily.

derFeef

After Dishonored 2 I presume, he wasn't dead then.

Thanks a lot, I will hold off then for now :)

It's set two months after 2, but you should be fine as it follows Billie Lurk's quest to track down Daud. I doubt the campaign will touch much on Corvo or Emily.

Hmmm. I kinda want a shorter Dishonored experience as I am playing 2 huge games right now anyway.

Hmmm. I kinda want a shorter Dishonored experience as I am playing 2 huge games right now anyway.
Outside of 2 chapters that lead into each other Dishonored 2's story and levels are pretty segmented and you can always just complete a mission or two and drop it for a bit and have it not affect the pacing.

Nah, i think Konami is just exception.

It's true. Many AAA publishers are starting to put regional pricing away from their games.

Recent examples:
- Prey & Dishonored 2 (Bethesda)
- Nier Automata (Square Enix)
- Ni No Kuni 2 (Bamco)
- PES 2018 (Konami)

And many others that I can't remember.

Mivey

So, finished Syberia 3.

Pictured: Me after finishing this game
20170907214153_172sr0.jpg

I knew going in it wasn't going to be pretty, and man, what a mess it is. It's just everything about this thing feels so baffling. It's clear that a dev team put a lot of care and work in some aspects of this, especially the town of Valsembor at the beginning and the mechanical puzzles, but completely dropped the ball in so many other things. The interface seems to have been designed by aliens, who read about "adventure games" through wikipedia without ever having played on in their lives. It's clearly focused on consoles, but ends up so disfunctional that it was sometimes easier to use the mouse for added precision. At the same time it's not pleasant to play with the mouse either, since so much is designed around analog controls. A total mess. The animations feel really bad, like something out of an early prototype, I mean this stuff makes Andromeda look like a masterpiece in comparison. I'm assuming they hired someone directly from school/university with 0 actual experience.

At the same time, it's hard for me to hate the thing. The music and atmosphere at times is true Syberia. It's just that those moments fall apart so quickly. Pretty much all conversations feel bad, and I couldn't care about any of the new character. And of course the voice acting is stuff that makes Microsoft Sam feel a good substitute.

I have not idea why Benoit Sokal thought bringing "modern" production values in this form was a good idea. And of course,
the icing on the cake is the fact that the game end's on a huge cliffhanger, contributing exactly nothing to ending Kate Walkers personal journey. I mean, did he really think 1) people wouldn't be pissed about this mess of game and 2) after 7 years he had high chances of making another one?
What a mess.

It's true. Many AAA publishers are starting to put regional pricing away from their games.

Recent examples:
- Ni No Kuni 2 (Bamco)
- PES 2018 (Konami)

S-E and Bandai-Namco do it for China too.

Most of their games are just a tad cheaper than the US$ or even more expensive. Look at Ni No Kuni 2:

"¥428.00 $65.41"

Hmm, sounds a lot like Dreamfall Chapters.
God it was bad, endless fetch quests and lifeless cities that are a complete chore to navigate. None of the plot lines go anywhere and the last few chapters feel rushed and as tho they ran out of budget very early on.

Sad.

Wok

Huge update today and we're leading with the biggest news of all: Hollow Knight's second Free Content Pack, The Grimm Troupe!

This Halloween, Grimm and his Troupe arrive, free for all players. What's packed in for this chilling expansion? Let's jump into the details:
  • New Major Quest – Light the Nightmare Lantern and summon the Grimm Troupe to Hallownest, if you dare! Take part in a twisted ritual that stretches the breadth of the kingdom and bestows the player with a powerful new ally.
  • New Boss Fights – What epic quest is complete without epic show-downs? Get ready to face off against a dark new foe and a twisted scarlet spectre. Who are they? What brings them to Hallownest? We won't spoil the surprise!
  • 4 New Charms – We're going all out with the quest, but that's not enough! Your charm range is also expanding, granting unique new aids and abilities. You'll have to discover their powers for yourself, but their appearance may give a few hints.
    new-charms-768x217.png
  • New Enemies – The arrival of the Troupe doesn't just mean enormous boss encounters, it also brings new smaller (but challenging!) foes to test your nail and spells against. Your Hunter's Journal is going to be overflowing by the time your done!
  • New Friends – Grimm's clan may appear scary but they aren't all bad. Get ready to befriend a new bunch of weirdos, including one who offers a very special service for players flush with Geo!
  • New Music – Tying this whole cavalcade together are all new spooky and spine tingling tracks by Christopher Larkin. Get ready to feel the fear!
  • Map Markers – In a world as big as Hallownest finding your way is the greatest challenge of all, and you'll now have an extra tool in your cartographic journeys with custom Map Markers! Place them anywhere on your maps to remember everything.

Mivey

Hmm, sounds a lot like Dreamfall Chapters.
At the very, very least, Dreamfall Chapters put a clear end to the story of it's heroine. It felt rushed and very clunky, but at least Tornquist understood what he needed to do (just not how to do it). Syberia 3 feels completely pointless in comparison.
I mean, in a series that had always focused on the mystery of mammoths, you now, about 10 years in, introduce giant ostriches and explain how important they are to the Youkols, and they are going on a migration through, I guess, Russia? Which feels like such a heavy handed retcon. I mean, we learned in Syberia 1 that the Youkols were a little known tribe, almost half shrouded in legend. But nope, now the government knows about them and wants to control their life. God, this game is really an excuse to drink.

Recent examples:
- Ni No Kuni 2 (Bamco)
- PES 2018 (Konami)

Nier costs 80$ canadian. Currency goes up, price stays high.

8424 yen. 100 yen 91 cents. better exchange rate than canada, higher price than canada.

KainXVIII

Recent examples:
- Ni No Kuni 2 (Bamco)
- PES 2018 (Konami)

I mean 1999 rubles for AAA game was already standard a year ago (or even longer). But it IS still regional price, while 2999 is just fucked up Konami politics.

Uzzy

For as incredible as the world and level design of the Dishonored series are it's kind of odd how poor the story and unmemorable the characters are. Still super excited given the former tho.

High chaos Emily is pretty amusingly grim dark. But yeah, the story sure isn't Dishonoured's strength.

derFeef

God it was bad, endless fetch quests and lifeless cities that are a complete chore to navigate. None of the plot lines go anywhere and the last few chapters feel rushed and as tho they ran out of budget very early on.

Sad.

Do you know if the recent edition fixes some of the stuff? I can't imagine but there is hope... I dropped the game a few hours in... I was not really feeling it.

At the very, very least, Dreamfall Chapters put a clear end to the story of it's heroine. It felt rushed and very clunky, but at least Tornquist understood what he needed to do (just not how to do it). Syberia 3 feels completely pointless in comparison.
I mean, in a series that had always focused on the mystery of mammoths, you now, about 10 years in, introduce giant ostriches and explain how important they are to the Youkols, and they are going on a migration through, I guess, Russia? Which feels like such a heavy handed retcon. I mean, we learned in Syberia 1 that the Youkols were a little known tribe, almost half shrouded in legend. But nope, now the government knows about them and wants to control their life. God, this game is really an excuse to drink.

That sounds really frustrating. :(

Do you know if the recent edition fixes some of the stuff? I can't imagine but there is hope... I dropped the game a few hours in... I was not really feeling it.
No idea, finished on an episode by episode basis before the updated version came out. Can't imagine it would change the fetch quests tho and that alone makes it a really bad game. Just constantly light jogging back and forth across the same areas for 5 episodes. The other world segments with Saga are even worse as they make you item hunt as if it were a hidden object game!

Until the 4th episode(which was delayed because of this) the performance was constantly in the 20s even on decent hardware. That thankfully is no longer an issue at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom