• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

besada

Banned
And I actually manage to outrun and escape from some pirates earlier - I'm pretty sure that was impossible before.

You've always been able to outrun pirates. They'll only chase you so far away from their initial entry point. You will, on the other hand, get pounded while you run, so increased defenses are a must, and you usually have to refuel your screens in mid combat.

That was my default mode for pirates, but I'm glad to see you can bribe them now.

Just saw one of the new S class exotic ships for the first time....wow. The bottom half was a vertical wing about as tall as the top half wing, and it split in half and folded up to the sides when it landed.

OuterLimits

My trick with pirates on Survival mode was always hanging out near a planet or space station when I first entered a new system. Once they initially scanned, I would fly down to the planet and that would prevent pirates from warping in. Then I would travel to wherever I needed to go Usually pirates would scan every few minutes on Survival mode. Plus your ship showed a countdown of when a scan would occur.(about 25 seconds of warning)

That was before the recent update though.

Jamiaro

Is it worth to continue building my base if teleportation does not work properly?
There was a a cold, gold-infested planet on my starter-solar system and I went and made it my home-base.

mokeyjoe

You've always been able to outrun pirates. They'll only chase you so far away from their initial entry point. You will, on the other hand, get pounded while you run, so increased defenses are a must, and you usually have to refuel your screens in mid combat.

That was my default mode for pirates, but I'm glad to see you can bribe them now.

Really? Huh, I've never managed it. I suppose it was more that I was able to get away unscathed, slaloming through an asteroid field. They never managed to hit me.

How do you get a rocket launcher by the way? Is it just another blueprint you find?

TeegsD

Good to know on the portal, i kinda peaced out since I thought I had checked every character. Was just mining a ton of gold when I suddenly fell through the map. Annnd thats enough NMS for the night :|

mokeyjoe

Normal AND Tech seem fine. Cargo only seems bugged.

Also, can anyone tell me where I find side missions or whatever?

Side missions are in space stations. There's a guy in the door to the left as you enter the space station who'll have list of missions.

Most of this stuff gets covered in the Awakenings story, I'd recommend you start following it if you're not already. It's rather good and introduces lots of the new stuff early on.

Any sequence gives you a planet. Just pick an image until it activates.

I don't think they work properly until you've done the story mission though.

vix

Ok, so I just fired this up for the first time since December...

The lens flare for me is horribly blinding, is there a way to adjust that or something?

And why does the camera feel so janky and stuttery at times?

The galactic map is a nightmare, even more now than before.

theWB27

Side missions are in space stations. There's a guy in the door to the left as you enter the space station who'll have list of missions.

Most of this stuff gets covered in the Awakenings story, I'd recommend you start following it if you're not already. It's rather good and introduces lots of the new stuff early on.

I don't think they work properly until you've done the story mission though.

Oh...maybe you're allowed to in creative mode. I activated one before the story mission.

I found two. Quest path pointed me to one. And another through one of those consoles in a planetary base.

But I can do little with it, since all the tech stuff seems to be underground and I can't demolish ground yet. Need some upgrades for that.
You can use Grenade Launchers, too.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPyBEj2WSbs

I just cut this clip quickly just now from my playthrough archive:I found my first one this morning after getting coordinates from a abandoned base or whatever it was called. Similar to the one that gives your Crashed Ship coordinates, but it was actually off planet.

Was a bit sad to see we can't actually enter them or explore them... they're basically just big art pieces or shells. And needing 90 Iron to loot each vault is kinda an annoying time sink.

But it was pretty fun digging out a few of them...

On a different topic, I found a pretty cool desert plan with canyon rivers.... I mean, they're just idle bodies of water but kinda look like canyon rivers haha :D
GaNRLIV.jpg

XgoApQb.jpg

amurK5y.jpg

E92 M3

You aren't alone. Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurrence. My base was pretty much unusable in my normal save file.

Are all of the blueprints supposed to disappear or is it a glitch? I'm not sure if everyone lost stuff or only some.

--

On another note, saw this on Reddit:

g5fowm4imffz.gif

Are all of the blueprints supposed to disappear or is it a glitch? I'm not sure if everyone lost stuff or only some.

--

g5fowm4imffz.gif
That's exactly what I mentioned seeing a few posts above, my jaw dropped when it went to land and the bottom wing folded up.

^my jaw dropped a little even here on gaf... that animation <3

Yeah my Hauler has always outrun them.... Usually takes a couple minutes flying straight and my shields taking a pounding, but I've found sometimes if I fly straight from the get-go -- never ever try curve around, they never manage to catch up to me and get off one shot. Other times they do and pound the shit out of me though haha The most success I've had running away and avoiding getting shot is dancing through asteroid fields... I'm not sure how it screws up their LOS but I've had pretty good success intertwining between asteroids and never getting hit even once. Maybe like 15-25% of the time. Flying straight usually makes them give up faster but I'll usually go through a few shields and some Zinc/Titanium.

vix

My home planet sucks now. My base is knackered but man I don't want to start a new save. Maybe just relocate my base. Do I have to dismantle everything like my storage cubes that have stuff in them first? Could I move that stuff to my freighter?

MattAces

Question: I don't care about my base that I threw together in the last patch, so am I right to just keep using my current save file?

Yea, should be. But I've been seeing nothing but complaints from people who are using old saves. Meanwhile people with new saves are just spamming how awesome it is in here (including me).

Surely I'm late to the party, but has performance on PC taken a big hit? After starting a new save the starting planet has some really serious frame rate dips I had never seen previously. GTX 980 for anyone curious.

Major spoilers for the Awakenings story (ending?):

So, after Atlas freaks out about number 16 we are supposed to make a desperate run to the center. During that run we have ominous music playing constantly and each jump we make grants us a Glyph sequence. After the 16th one we can reach and activate the Final Portal.

That Portal leads us to the final Atlas Station where we are given a choice to refuse a galaxy reset (which means we stay in Euclid) or proceed with the reset.

However, while doing so we are presented 4 options which seem to dictate HOW the reset will happen. I am not sure what these choices do. Like, we can choose a "Tranquil Galaxy" or an "Imperfect Galaxy" etc. but we aren't given an explanation what these actually do.

When you pick an option the old "Center Ending" animation plays and you reawaken in a new galaxy with all of your stuff still there but broken. The questline states something like "Take to the stars" which might suggest there is more to the story?

I reloaded to an earlier save as I haven't commited to anything and haven't left that planet. Don't want to remove myself from Euclid until I know more. I will say that it doesn't feel like it is an ending as we still have a lot of questions (especially if you take Waking Titan ARG into consideration). Like, it suggests that reseting the galaxy is a way of getting to the truth but I don't dare to continue the new galaxy exploration in fear of being unable to reload back into Euclid.

So to anyone who might know more:
1. What do the Galaxy choices actually influence?
2. Does the story actually continue in that new galaxy?

Tubie

Holy crap idk if this was added with this update or one of the ones they did before, but the planets look so much cooler and more interesting now. Even the creatures look more unique and interesting. Damn, it's easy to just lose a few hours exploring now.

Oh and for those wondering if you can do the new story stuff with their old saves from when the game launched, I think you start at the beginning of the new story when you log on to that old save.

I had a really good ship and a lot of credits so I didn't want to lose those so I loaded up my old save from almost a year ago and as soon as I got into my ship I got a quest prompt asking me if I wanted to know more about the atlas or something, so I think that has to be the new story stuff.

Unicorn

These updates are hazardous to my health. I poop sock another 50-60 hours to see all the new stuff in a week then drop off. Over 19 hours dumped this weekend alone...

So I started a new game, got the warp drive, found some anti-matter, made a warp cell, used it in my Warp drive charging it to 20%, but apparently it's not enough to do a warp jump.

Is this a glitch, or do I have to somehow find another random piece of antimatter to craft another warp cell?

So I started a new game, got the warp drive, found some anti-matter, made a warp cell, used it in my Warp drive charging it to 20%, but apparently it's not enough to do a warp jump.

Is this a glitch, or do I have to somehow find another random piece of antimatter to craft another warp cell?
Are you trying to warp too far, or to a star your drive is incapable of warping to? What does it say on the galaxy map when you try to warp?

I can't even get to the galaxy map, it asks me to press down on the d-pad and select the warp drive (or whatever it's called), but it's just saying I need to charge it.

I can't even get to the galaxy map, it asks me to press down on the d-pad and select the warp drive (or whatever it's called), but it's just saying I need to charge it.
That sounds like it's asking you to charge the warp drive, not actually warp, which means you probably charged it before the mission updated. Try reloading to before you used the warp cell and wait a bit after it tells you to charge it before charging it, if you can.

btw, not sure if you know but you can only access the galaxy map while in space

That sounds like it's asking you to charge the warp drive, not actually warp, which means you probably charged it before the mission updated. Try reloading to before you used the warp cell and wait a bit after it tells you to charge it before charging it, if you can.

btw, not sure if you know but you can only access the galaxy map while in space
I'll give it a shot, I may not be able to reload a save before using the warp cell, but I'll try in the morning to see if returning to the game fixes it.

Van Bur3n

Came across this S class ship with the coolest golden tint on it with awesome patterns engraved in it. Costing 145,000,000. Makes me wanna cry...

But I just came across a crashed explorer class ship. I'm not too sure I'm willing to give up my first ship since its a fighter class with missiles. Anyone flying an explorer and feeling any good benefits?

Unicorn

Came across this exotic ship with the coolest golden tint on it with awesome patterns engraved in it. Costing 145,000,000. Makes me wanna cry...

But I just came across a crashed explorer class ship. I'm not too sure I'm willing to give up my first ship since its a fighter class with missiles. Anyone flying an explorer and feeling any good benefits?
Pretty sure ships still handle the same. At least my hauler feels no different than my fighter.

What happens to my money if I die in survival mode? I know I lose my items, but is money lost to? I have a pile now so kind of not trying to find out the hard way ;) There doesn't seem to be any bank or anything.

Van Bur3n

Pretty sure ships still handle the same. At least my hauler feels no different than my fighter.

Well, that much I've figured out, but I've read the Explorer has bonuses to its engine and hyperdrive. What exactly does this bonus to hyperdrive entail? The ship I'm looking at is saying it has a 9% bonus for hyperdrive and that's it.

Came across this S class ship with the coolest golden tint on it with awesome patterns engraved in it. Costing 145,000,000. Makes me wanna cry...

The main benefit of different types of ships are it's boosted stats, if you can find a ship with like +40% hyperdrive range, that is super useful especially early on. You will be able to warp much further than with other ships.

Unicorn

Well, that much I've figured out, but I've read the Explorer has bonuses to its engine and hyperdrive. What exactly does this bonus to hyperdrive entail? The ship I'm looking at is saying it has a 9% bonus for hyperdrive and that's it.
Small boost to how far your warp can take you, I gather. Maybe efficiency of using pulse boost in systems?

Fredrik

Considering how much people wanted to fly in canyons etc I guess I'm alone with this idea, but I really don't like the new flight controls. Like at all. M+KB controls is awful now. Can't get a grip on how to control the ship with any type of precision. I'm crashing to the ground all the time. And swapping to controller makes the controls awful for everything else.

c0Zm1c

g5fowm4imffz.gif

i_need_it.gif

They need to get an optional third-person view into the game now for when flying our ships, so we can appreciate this kind of new content. After all, they have it for ground vehicles so why not ships?

Top Bottom