• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

9ZR1x0i.jpg

This month's OP is brought to you by ViewtifulJC
Ah, July! The month America celebrates its freedom from the tyrinical reign of Britian(who recently voted to break free from the "tyrannical" reign of the EU)! So with all this freedom in the air, you think American comics would wise up and get the message? Ha ha ha ha, NO actually. Actually they're very expensive, like $4-6 a month to keep up with each one. What a fuckin' hobby, huh?

Here's some freedom-hating comics coming down the pipeline in July!
SgbIrjD.png

7duxtMu.jpg

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #10, by Ryan North and Erica Henderson (July 27) - The latest issue in Marvel's greatest comics! Mole Man is shipping himself with our lovable protagonist and is gonna destroy the world if she doesn't go on a date with him. Men, am I right ladies? Tyrant Rave pick of the month!
Black Widow #5, by Chris Samnee & Mark Waid (July 20th) - Marvel's best crafted comic continues with another thrilling episode of spy games and cat-and-mouse chase sequences. The Black Widow book you never knew you've been waiting for!
The Vision #9, by Tom King & Gabriel Hernandez Walta (July 13th) - In whats shaping up to be the definitive story on Marvel's favorite crying android, this comic to be another intelligently structured issue of superhero-tinged melodrama that ultimately makes you feel sad. Fun for the whole (robot) family!

qaugsEU.png

6xbGBeC.jpg

Justice League Rebirth #1, by Bryan Hitch (July 6) - Legendary artist Bryan Hitch writes and draws this new beginning for the Earth's greatest heroes(also Cyborg)! In this story, a stranger from another world arrives and the heroes are split on whether he can be trusted or not. Say, isn't Marvel doing a story about this premise?
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 by Robert Venditti and Rafa Sandoval (July 27) - Because you demanded it! The return of Robert Venditti to put another spin on those Geoff Johns GL stories you've already read!. Thrill as Hal Jordan has to fight the Sinestro Corps and try your hardest to not read that Absolute Sinestro Corps War hardcover instead!
Batgirl #1 by Hope Larson and Rafael Alburquerque (July 27) - Eisner Award winning writer Hope Larson teams up with super cool artist Rafael Alburquerque for this relaunch of Batgirl. When Barbera Gordon is feeling lost, she does what any privileged white 20-something American would do: backpack around foreign countries! Japan! Martial arts! Old friends! New Enemies! Rafael Alburquerque!

Pj1YPNh.png

qK1OhHM.jpg

Snotgirl #1, by Bryan Lee O'Malley and Leslie Hung (July 20) - OMG LOL social media star with millions of followers, but what's up with her gross snot running nose ayy lmao. Trust in Bryan Lee O'Malley to have a plan.
Casanova: Acedia #6 by Matt Fraction and Fabio Moon (July 20) - Casanova is back with what will surely be another strangely alluring issue as mysteries deepen, callbacks are folded in on each other, and the art looks amazing on every page.
Stray Bullets Sunshine and Roses #16 by David Lapham (July 6) - The best comic currently being published by anyone! Things have gone from bad to worse for the gang of Beth, Orson and Nina as they try to figure out a way of the spiraling death trap that is their lives!

KXpsLLu.png

aTj4Vxx.jpg

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #143 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and Laurence Campbell (July 20) - In the latest issue of the most consistently good team book, Kate and Panya argue about leaving BPRD behind, while Johann and Liz fight super demons in NYC. Somehow, I feel one duo is gonna have a harder fight than the other this issue.
Conan the Slayer #1 by Cullen Bunn and Sergio Davila - He's been a Barbarian, he's been a Destroyer, he's even been Red Sonja! Now, Conan the Slayer returns to ongoing comics written by Six Gun's Cullen Bunn! Conan is on the run from a clan of Turanin hunters and must make a pact with an untrustworthy Kozaki chief if he wants to survive!
Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens #1 (of 4) by John Layman and Chris Mooneyham - Look at the title of this comic. Do you need any more description than this!?

7XkluQw.png

z2Ukd9R.jpg

Rom #1 by Christos Gage, Chris Ryall, and David Messina - ROM THE MOTHAFUCKIN SPACE KNIGHT IS BACK, NIGGAS! The Dire Wraiths are still trying to fuck Earth's shit up, but dont know that ROM THE MOTHAFUCKIN SPACE KNIGHT is gonna kick their ass like he was always does???
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #60 - In a year that gave us another lame live action movie and disappointing Platinum Games developed tie-in, we still have the quality coming from IDW's comic about the heroes in a half shell. Actually, you know what? Its not a half-shell, is it? I mean, they have a full shell on. Right? Am I crazy?
Ragnarök #10 by Walter fuckin' Simonson - I don't know if you guys know this, but Walter Simonson(yes, THE Walter Simonson) is doing the best Thor comic right now. Its metal as fuck. There are frost giants and fantasy realms and Fortresses where the Lord of the Dead reigns and I mean shit goes down in this book.

e1ZbXE9.png

Bq95Fqp.jpg

WEAVERS #3 (of 6) by Simon Spurrier and Dylan Burnett - This is a dope weird crime comic that I really think ya'll should read it.
Faith #1 by Jody Houser and Pere Perez - Valiant Comics IN 2016
Betty & Veronica #1 Written and drawn by...Adam Hughes!? - haha hey get this Adam Hughes drawing an ongoing haha good joke guys, ok come from behind the curtain you got me

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!
Check out The Gamma Gals created by Figboy79!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.

SPOILERS: Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Everyone has different levels of spoiler tolerance, so please try to be courteous and mark your spoilers. DON'T be that person. Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers.

1nZuuPz.gif
JC HARDCOVER PLUG
1nZuuPz.gif

Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert
This month, DC will release a handsome hardcover collecting all the Batman stories Alan Brennert ever did for DC. And while he didn't write many Caped Crusader comics, the ones included here are among my all-time favorites. Stories filled with human empathy, real dramatic stakes, and some fantastic artwork by some of DC's best like Jim Aparo, Jose Garcia Lopez, and Norm Breyfogle. There's even some other goodies in here too, like Black Canery's definitive origin story, and a fan favorite Christmas tale involving Deadman and Supergirl. You will be hard pressed to find a finer collection of DC Comic stories all year. I highly recommend it.

6cGyGU5.jpg

(don't forget to like and share on Facebook)

Owzers

Seems like a lot of work people put into threads about comics, things we don't even read, but good job good thread.

What the fuck happened to June?

Jesus christ time, slow the fuck down.

Also why is old Captain Cold on the squirrel girl cover?

VanWinkle

We all made it, guys. Everyone except messi. I'm proud of us. I'm THANKFUL we made it another month. Congratulations. To us all. Except messi.

VanWinkle

I was reluctant to read another GL origin story in GL by Johns Omnibus Vol 2 (Secret Origin is the arc), but I'm actually really enjoying it.

Vyer

I was reluctant to read another GL origin story in GL by Johns Omnibus Vol 2 (Secret Origin is the arc), but I'm actually really enjoying it.

Both GL secret origin and Superman secret origin are very good. Johns did solid work there.

frye

I've had that Alan Brennart book in my Amazon wishlist since may or something and I've been this close to copping it but the discount is literally 35 cents off 35 canadian dollars what the fuck

Hmm. I mean, personally I think Bendis is a good writer, but Johns doesn't really get nearly as much flak as Bendis. Johns very seldomly misses the mark (some of Justice League was...ehhhhh...).

Bendis is very good. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but it's always his sub-standard work that gets the most attention because he ends up writing all of Marvel's shitty events.

VanWinkle

Bendis is very good. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but it's always his sub-standard work that gets the most attention because he ends up writing all of Marvel's shitty events.

Yeah that's definitely true. The stuff I've read from Bendis has been great, but none of it's been events. I don't read Marvel events, personally.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I mean TW101 is basically a GL game anyways. You control a corps that makes constructs.

True, but specific ones. I want to build anything. Like a giant Hot Wheel track to catch a falling helicopter. What, you thought I'd let people forget about the Green Lantern movie?

I wanna get back on the comic train but I'm so far behind, is Peter Parker still acting like a punk in his own book?

Archie is still my top comic.

vvYhHJS.jpg

True, but specific ones. I want to build anything. Like a giant Hot Wheel track to catch a falling helicopter. What, you thought I'd let people forget about the Green Lantern movie?

Well it isn't like forgetting it is too difficult. All it ever did was exist. Can't even attach an adjective to it. Forgetting it is part of the cycle of watching that movie. Or not. It contributes nothing to reality as a whole.

TissueBox

Hey there ComicGAF, been looking for some good reads to add to my shelf and after spotting a stray ad was reminded of the oft-declared gem I Kill Giants, and I'm thinking of pickin' it up. Any fans who can vouch for/confirm its greatness..?? I do think I've missed this one for too long. Eheh.

The Uncanny Inhumans #11
This issue brings a lot of what I like about the Inhumans to the table: the political games. Though I still have no idea what Grid's power is. I thought it was just manipulation of electromagnetic fields, but then...I have no damned clue. However, this is the most interesting thing that's been done with Triton since Atlantis Rising, so yay for that. Also super big thing happens. Didn't really shock me, but apparently this issue is going for $11-15 because of it, and it's already on second printing.
Hey there ComicGAF, been looking for some good reads to add to my shelf and after spotting a stray ad was reminded of the oft-declared gem I Kill Giants, and I'm thinking of pickin' it up. Any fans who can vouch for/confirm its greatness..?? I do think I've missed this one for too long. Eheh.
I've never read it, but it gets a lot of praise in here.

Top Bottom