• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Narcosis

They will release a commercial complete with wah wah dubstep and Dino talking like a prick, which will help it sell 4+M copies.

I dunno about 4 million, at this stage in the generation and the general downward trend the industry has been in for awhile, I really think the only games that are gonna light up sales for 4+mil in 2013 are your usual suspects like CoD and GTAV. I can see DmC doing a decent amount of sales, but it's not gonna top 4.

dsk1210

"The PC version unfortunately runs at 60 frames per second. We would advise the console version for a more cinematic experience. Devil May Cry was practically made for the Xbox 360™ pad."

Is that serious? or someone taking piss, had a few drink and finding it hard to understand how 60fps could be to the detriment of gameplay, maybe I am missing the sarcasm?

Beth Cyra

Hopefully good reviews will help the game out.

Can't say I will ever support it as I find the developer to be trash and the way they took the game just isn't to my taste. Still Action genre needs more games and given Capcom already plans for sequels hopefully this game does well enough to make that happen.

Mechazawa

That's from the demo :/

As someone who played and got to the last boss of Heavenly Sword, I can assure you that that gif felt like the whole game.

Hopefully the fact that DmC's presentation has been overwhelmingly shit so far means that Ninja Theory has prioritized other things they've been traditionally bad at. The demo was certainly more snappy than something like HS.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
you forgot to add "oscar quality dialogue. uses the word 'fuck' a lot, just like a real movie. that's how you know it's a serious story for grown ups."

That was a different time. Now you're only truly doing an adult story if you kill off a kid in it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm pretty hyped about the game, but I'm looking at it more in the ways I looked at Shadows of the Damned. I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is and its crazy art style.

I liked the first DMC game, but the rest just had no interest to me. Which is to say, I would probably feel the same way about the DmC 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ibmGlNrMIDVL3z.gif

Ninja Theory, the Based Gods.

I think NT is a terrible dev, but this gif is slowed down and misrepresentative of the actual input lag. (it's still bad)

BadAss2961

See, I don't really buy into that. I know this is an asshat card to pull out but I think there's no real way to gauge that most of the fanbase just won't buy it or care enough to support DmC.
There's a big section of the fanbase that loves the Devil May Cry lore just as much the games themselves. Those of us that do are double pissed off... There's no real way to gauge it, but I just really get the feeling that most of us want no part of this game.
As someone who played and got to the last boss of Heavenly Sword, I can assure you that that gif felt like the whole game.

Hopefully the fact that DmC's presentation has been overwhelmingly shit so far means that Ninja Theory has prioritized other things they've been traditionally bad at. The demo was certainly more snappy than something like HS.
Heavenly Sword was a good game, the kind that Ninja Theory needs to stick to. That gif is a ridiculous exaggeration to say the least. The game would be unplayable if it weren't.

Is that really the box art? :(

So DMC fans aren't going to buy DmC? Because it's not the same as it has been? Lol.

having played 1,3 and 4 and trying out the demo for DmC, i can safely say i don't feel like i'm losing anything of value. i don't want this kind of game so i'll just be voting with my dollar as gaf usually says. but i might try out the game when it hits 5€ or less on steam in year or two.

omonimo

Banned
There's a big section of the fanbase that loves the Devil May Cry lore just as much the games themselves. Those of us that do are double pissed off... There's no real way to gauge it, but I just really get the feeling that most of us want no part of this game. Heavenly Sword was a good game , the kind that Ninja Theory needs to stick to. That gif is a ridiculous exaggeration to say the least. The game would be unplayable if it weren't.
No not so much, pretty mediocre like any other NT past games, imho. I'm expect DMC how the best NT game after all, but hardly will touch even DMC 4 in my opinion, in terms of gameplay.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I remember having a pretty good time with Heavenly Sword, but I bet if I played it now I would fucking hate it.
Andy Serkis is forever great, but the actual game is bad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I actually think DmC will sell and review moderately well. These are the same journos that thought DMC3 was too hard. We won't really see the sales impact it has on the franchise as a whole until the next DMC comes out.

Eusis

Well, given that Capcom broke the damn game for the Western release, they weren't exactly off the mark.
This. I recall the original had a reputation for being hard anyway, and playing the SE version it really was a fairly challenging game, but going to a more old-style continue system in a game not really designed for that AND making Hard "Normal"? What the hell? Do wish the SE let me jump in with the original continue system and the US Normal though, sounds like there's that moment where it all clicks, but I'm not eager to redo stages because of a bullshit, archaic system that got shoved in.

Anyways, if this IS the real deal and either the PC version is natively 60 FPS or easily unlocked (you'd think they'd see how people reacted to the 60 FPS news and ensure the PC version isn't capped, but you never know) I may check it out sooner than later. Still need to play 4 anyway.

antitrop

Actually, the thing I remember most about Heavenly Sword is how damn short it was. I beat that game practically before I started it.

Dahbomb

Do wish the SE let me jump in with the original continue system and the US Normal though, sounds like there's that moment where it all clicks, but I'm not eager to redo stages because of a bullshit, archaic system that got shoved in.
You can still do this. Input in the code that unlocks all the difficulties, then start the game on Hard with Yellow checkpoint system. That way you can play DMC3 as it was originally released in NA.

Difficulty itself wasn't THAT hard but the checkpoint system definitely made things frustrating.

SerRodrik

This kind of game, I'm unlikely to care one way or another what reviewers say, I'll be paying more attention to word of mouth. I enjoyed the demo well enough, but there's still a lot that I have misgivings about.

I'm looking forward to it and all but.

the PLAY review reads like "how awesome is this game? Awesome or AWESOME" cue spining skyrim gif.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This. I recall the original had a reputation for being hard anyway, and playing the SE version it really was a fairly challenging game, but going to a more old-style continue system in a game not really designed for that AND making Hard "Normal"? What the hell? Do wish the SE let me jump in with the original continue system and the US Normal though, sounds like there's that moment where it all clicks, but I'm not eager to redo stages because of a bullshit, archaic system that got shoved in.

Anyways, if this IS the real deal and either the PC version is natively 60 FPS or easily unlocked (you'd think they'd see how people reacted to the 60 FPS news and ensure the PC version isn't capped, but you never know) I may check it out sooner than later. Still need to play 4 anyway.
DMC3's normal mode was great for DMC vets but it was probably too much for newcomers. However, it would let you drop down to easy if you died three times in a row. Yellow orbs for continues wasn't game breaking as long as you remembered to keep buying them.

Anyway, I digress. I don't expect DmC to put up any kind of challenge for vets on the first playthrough, and newcomers shouldn't have too rough of a time either.

Fredrik

Haven't played the DmC demo yet, but I recently completed DS2 and was quite annoyed over the speed increase compared to DS1 without upping the framerate. You simply can't do fast action at 30 fps. You either go for fast action and 60 fps OR slower action and 30 fps. That's just the way it is.
The game can still be alright though if there is more to it than just action, as in DS2 which I really liked.

Why coudn't Ninja Theory use the Capcom's engine MT Framework instead if UE3. I loathe that engine except in Batman
They had gotten through with using it for Enslaved, so I imagine they used UE3 for the sake of familiarity and to avoid spending resources on learning a new engine.

ezekial45

Banned
Why coudn't Ninja Theory use the Capcom's engine MT Framework instead if UE3. I loathe that engine except in Batman

1. MT Framework is Capcom's proprietary engine. It has no english documentation, no tech support staff, and it didn't really fit for NT's vision of the game. Not only that, Capcom doesn't sem to like having other devs use it. The recent Street Fighter games are co-developed by Dimps, and they don't even use the engine.

2. NT was already familiar with UE3 and they wanted to proceed with the game directly -- as opposed to working another year or so on just getting the tech optimized and working for them. Plus it fit for their vision of the game and render environments much better.

MT Framework is a solid engine, but it's got problems rendering massive environments (Dragon's Dogma, Lost Planet 2 - as examples). The reason why DMC4 runs well is because they're in static environments.

I'm sure there's more reasons for it, but those are off the top of my head.

Reiko

Banned
1. MT Framework is Capcom's proprietary engine. It has no english documentation, no tech support staff, and it didn't really fit for NT's vision of the game. Not only that, Capcom doesn't sem to like having other devs use it. The recent Street Fighter games are co-developed by Dimps, and they don't even use the engine.

2. NT was already familiar with UE3 and they wanted to proceed with the game directly -- as opposed to working another year or so on just getting the tech optimized and working for them.

I'm sure there's more reasons for it, but those are off the top of my head.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was MT framework though. And it was glorious.

bounchfx

demo was great, looking forward to more reviews though. Need something for the action itch since Bayonetta. Man, bayonetta was awesome.

sleepykyo

"The PC version unfortunately runs at 60 frames per second. We would advise the console version for a more cinematic experience. Devil May Cry was practically made for the Xbox 360™ pad."

Is that serious? or someone taking piss, had a few drink and finding it hard to understand how 60fps could be to the detriment of gameplay, maybe I am missing the sarcasm?

Yes. You clearly are.

Top Bottom