• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Akia

i don't understand all the madness and rage in the thread title

here are my lame alternate names

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Better than Skyrim

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Oh Fateless One, you decide the future of 38 Studios

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| God of War meets Elder Scrolls

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| CITIZENS OF EARTH

Holy crap this is awesome. Clearing up a few things.
1) BHG is 38 Studios Baltimore more or less:)
2) The universe in Reckoning, visually, is a combination of the game they were working on, and Amalur. Visually there wasn't much work to be done on what they had at the time to tweak it to our desires for the Amalur universe, and there was a TON made post partnership.

That's awesome news on the gamestop stuff, they've been awesome this week in helping hype our launch. If you haven't already done it and would like to be in the know please stop by and sign up for our newsletter on ours site, we just sent out our launch day announcement about the Gamestop stores Todd, Ken, RA and I are going to be at.

Also stay tuned for what will be an unprecedented launch day "EVENT" that you will WANT to be in front of a screen for, you will NOT want to miss the event or the 'stuff' that may potentially be available to certain folks "at" the event on launch day.

Promise it's never been seen or done to this scale, ever.

Everyone at the event will get pony mounts with rainbow tails?

Mideon

Preordered ages ago since I first saw the game. Week off work too so going to put some serious time in.

Anything special happening for the UK Launch Curt?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I hope this game gets good ratings, because I have a whole bunch of puns i'm eager to throw out there.

Hambone

Also stay tuned for what will be an unprecedented launch day "EVENT" that you will WANT to be in front of a screen for, you will NOT want to miss the event or the 'stuff' that may potentially be available to certain folks "at" the event on launch day.

Promise it's never been seen or done to this scale, ever.

Confirmed: new cars for all, just like Oprah.

Curt and 38 Studios, this is a game I new was in the making, but had very little interest in until I played the demo. Kudos to you and your team for making what seems to be, a pretty awesome game that has me impatient for launch day.

It's been said that you can do EVERYTHING in one playthrough. Nothing you do ever stops you from doing something else. This was actually one of their design decisions.
Well I think you should be able to do all of the faction quests in one playthrough, I just don't think you should be able to be an "active" member of all of them simultaneously.

jgminto

Awesome OP. It's the first one I actually found informative. Now I need to chose between this and Mass Effect 3. Decisions, decisions...

I, on the other hand, enjoyed all of Salvatores books. But that was before I discovered a song of ice and fire, mistborn, first law trilogy etc. They got me into reading so I guess I'll always have a spot in my heart for them ;).

Man I just finished A Dance with Dragons, and it sucks that it will probably be another 5 years until the next book comes out.. I wish I could lock George Martin up in a basement and force him to finish the series.

Even though it was a design decision, I don't like the sound of "you can do everything in one play-through". It was the same with Deus Ex HR which didn't have respec but you had enough points to try every type of play-style and build. Amalur has respec meaning there's no tough decisions with your build... you can't mess up and learn from mistakes. I wish they take out respec. I know you can choose not to use it but it's not the same. Prob only gonna beat it once but hopefully that's a lot of hours.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Even though it was a design decision, I don't like the sound of "you can do everything in one play-through". It was the same with Deus Ex HR which didn't have respec but you had enough points to try every type of play-style and build. Amalur has respec meaning there's no tough decisions with your build... you can't mess up and learn from mistakes. I wish they take out respec. I know you can choose not to use it but it's not the same. Prob only gonna beat it once but hopefully that's a lot of hours.

I'm the opposite. I like being able to do everything in the game. Respecs allow experimentation. Some abilities would never get touched without respec. Now people can try every ability, no matter how useless it may seem in the description.

daedalius

melsenshir__16.jpg

reckoning_-_balor_battle_1.jpg

yea! Now hopefully they aren't just punching bags.

I'm the opposite. I like being able to do everything in the game. Respecs allow experimentation. Some abilities would never get touched without respec. Now people can try every ability, no matter how useless it may seem in the description.

That stuff helps give incentive for multiple play-throughs, which is something I like. If you can do everything in one and have respec it's probably only worth finishing once unless you want a higher difficulty.

Nista

To me it's like the rewind feature in Forza 4. No one is forcing you to use it, and if you find re-speccing useful then it can aid in making the game less frustrating and tedious in the long run.
And if they decide to tweak the balance of abilities in a future patch, then you can respec out of things you feel aren't working out.

I still recall how sad I was when patch 1.04 for Diablo 2 made my lvl 90 Amazon character worthless.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That stuff helps give incentive for multiple play-throughs, which is something I like. If you can do everything in one and have respec it's probably only worth finishing once unless you want a higher difficulty.

You can just start a new character if you want. No one is stopping you.

I honestly can't believe you're complaining about not being forced to play a game multiple times.

To me it's like the rewind feature in Forza 4. No one is forcing you to use it, and if you find re-speccing useful then it can aid in making the game less frustrating and tedious in the long run.
And if they decide to tweak the balance of abilities in a future patch, then you can respec out of things you feel aren't working out.

I still recall how sad I was when patch 1.04 for Diablo 2 made my lvl 90 Amazon character worthless.

Exactly. Diablo 2 was ruined by the lack of respec. People who LIKE not having respec are masochists.

Yeah I don't have the willpower to decide to not use the feature when it's right there in front of you. I like how it is in Fallout - ability and stat points are critical and feel like important decisions that you need to think about carefully.

scy

I like respecs to fine tune builds; I still use new playthroughs for entirely different characters.

Haunted

i don't understand all the madness and rage in the thread title

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Oh Fateless One, you decide the future of 38 Studios

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| God of War meets Elder Scrolls

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| CITIZENS OF EARTH
Man, I just had a crazy idea.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT|

thetrin

Yeah I don't have the willpower to decide to not use the feature when it's right there in front of you. I like how it is in Fallout - ability and stat points are critical and feel like important decisions that you need to think about carefully.

It's not like you don't have to think carefully when respec exists. Respeccing still costs money, and costs more each time you opt for it. It's not just a free respec whenever you feel like it. You make a dumb mistake, you pay for it in gold.

I personally only use respec to re-allocate a few points here and there to maximize my build's usefulness. A lack of respec is kind of a dumb concept. It forces people to be omniscient (or read a FAQ). If I HAVE to read a FAQ to make sure I don't fuck up my character, the designers have failed.

It's not like you don't have to think carefully when respec exists. Respeccing still costs money, and costs more each time you opt for it. It's not just a free respec whenever you feel like it.

Well I hope it's really expensive and/or money is hard to come by lol

Smokey

All I needed to do was play the demo once on PC...which I did. I'm there day 1. If anybody from the devs are reading this, will 3D Vision be implemented in the PC version? With how colorful and vibrant this game is, it would look sweet in 3D...

thetrin

Well I hope it's really expensive and/or money is hard to come by lol

Why? Because you personally have no will power, and you want to ruin it for the rest of us? :p

Why? Because you personally have no will power, and you want to ruin it for the rest of us? :p
Making the point allocations feel important and strategic. If gold is easy to come by or it's not expensive to respec they won't feel that way to me. It's not a big deal, just a minor niggle. I'm sure I'll put like 50 hours into the game anyway lol

Not really a big fan of the art style after playing the demo, the graphics weren't doing anything for me either. Will there be more settings in the final release on PC?

thetrin

Making the point allocations feel important and strategic. If gold is easy to come by or it's not expensive to respec they won't feel that way to me. It's not a big deal, just a minor niggle. I'm sure I'll put like 50 hours into the game anyway lol

Wow, only 50? Not intending to put much time into the game, huh? I have a hard time believing we'll less than 100 into the game.

I put a good 100 hours into Skyrim before I stopped. I doubt this will be any different.

Wow, only 50? Not intending to put much time into the game, huh? I have a hard time believing we'll less than 100 into the game.

I put a good 100 hours into Skyrim before I stopped. I doubt this will be any different.

Well Curt said it was 40-50 for the main quest and a couple hundred for everything. Devs tend to exaggerate on length so we'll see.

Nista

Just gonna repeat this until it gets fixed.

FIX THE LOD/POP-IN ON PC.

Since none of us here are engine programmers (including Curt), you're going to get tired of repeating yourself. Unless this is the awesome launch day surprise. ;)

Knowing how slow getting through the publisher QA process is, I'd be patient about patches for major systemic issues like camera and LOD. Gotta be super careful you don't break more than you fix (cough, Skyrim).

Mods, listen to him please. PLEASE.

Please, no. Last thing we need is for this to get turned into a lame flamewar thread between WRPGs. We can all co-exist together.

I like this one. In very related news, I've broken my previous commitment to not buying collector's editions. I like the cards way too much.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yea I played the demo a lot, tried out everything. I'm going with plate, 2 hander primary and chakrums as backup. Mostly might with some sorcery for AOE & defensive spells. Pally type class all the way. Preordered this sumbitch on Steam, LETS DANCE.

ReaperXL7

i don't understand all the madness and rage in the thread title here are my lame alternate names Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Better than Skyrim Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Oh Fateless One, you decide the future of 38 Studios Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| God of War meets Elder Scrolls Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| CITIZENS OF EARTH
the thread title is from the Trailer from Gamescom. at the :42 mark . I did not want to put emphasis on other games personally.

bazooie

Is the PC camera definitely gonna be fixed and pulled back prior to release? I want the game but this is a must fix for me to buy.

It's definitely not going to be changed day 1. We're working on some tweaks, but I cannot guarantee when or if it will happen (but I'm very persuasive, so it probably will). Purchasing the game would speed that decision along though... :)

Wallach

It's definitely not going to be changed day 1. We're working on some tweaks, but I cannot guarantee when or if it will happen (but I'm very persuasive, so it probably will). Purchasing the game would speed that decision along though... :)

If? That's not really the impression I was getting from the guy on the official forum. Is that you? Because "if" is definitely not good enough to sell people with how bad the camera complaints are.

Top Bottom