• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to keep working with Ninja Theory, lock them down

Zia

Dragon's Dogma is the definition of the modern Capcom game. Doesn't know what it wants to do and can't execute on anything it's promising it can do.

Sometimes I think you and I are often on the same page more often than you and I think we are.

It reminds me of people bemoaning Disney handling Star Wars. Like it could get any worse? Let someone freshen it up. Aside from Ono (Shu Takumi is the most overrated "name" in Japan at the moment, having not yet created anything truly good), the well of talent at Capcom is all but dried up.

Glass Rebel

Yes. NT excels at what Capcom doesn't and vice versa. If they combine properly they benefit each other. Capcom's latest decisions, DLC notwithstanding, are specifically to stay in the game and stay a relevant Eastern developer.

Well, that would be awesome.

Sadly combat in DmC isn't as good as in DMC4 and the story doesn't seem to be up to snuff either.

I guess the environments and some enemies look cool.

Fantasmo

Well, that would be awesome.

Sadly combat in DmC isn't as good as in DMC4 and the story doesn't seem to be up to snuff either.

I guess the environments and some enemies look cool.

I dunno man. Old Dante is borderline embarassing. Invite some non gamers over and put some DMC4 cutscenes on and see what kind of reactions you get. And the combat is just too technical outside of diehards. Maybe it'll suck, maybe it won't. Wait and see?

Glass Rebel

I dunno man. Old Dante is borderline embarassing. Invite some non gamers over and put some DMC4 cutscenes on and see what kind of reactions you get.

I bet there's one scene in DmC that will get more embarrassed rections than anything in the entire series but I wont spoil it :)

McLovin

People are all worked up, how about playing the final game before making up your minds. Besides every Devil May Cry game after the first one was kind of crap. 1/2 of DMC 4 was decent.

ArjanN

They gave DMC away because it was a profitable franchise that they were doing nothing with because all the developers were tied up with Dragon's Dogma.

It worked. This game is going to sell well. The die hards that care/know about things like 60fps and particular combat elements don't make up the bulk of sales for the series I'm sure. DmC is going to sell well. It will have a sequel. Capcom have finally successfully outsourced a game (RE: ORC was a failure and I'm sure Lost Planet will be as well). You don't have to wait until the game comes out to know this. Reviews so far are good. Pre-orders are going well. People are excited.

Old Dante is gone for good.

I mostly agree with this. I think Capcom might eventually still make another DMC in the old style though.

Oh, and Dead Rising 2 was already a succesfully outsourced game.

People are all worked up, how about playing the final game before making up your minds.

Yes.

Besides every Devil May Cry game after the first one was kind of crap. 1/2 of DMC 4 was decent.

No.

Curufinwe

People are all worked up, how about playing the final game before making up your minds. Besides every Devil May Cry game after the first one was kind of crap. 1/2 of DMC 4 was decent.

Devil May Cry 3 SE was the best.

They gave DMC away because it was a profitable franchise that they were doing nothing with because all the developers were tied up with Dragon's Dogma.

It worked. This game is going to sell well. The die hards that care/know about things like 60fps and particular combat elements don't make up the bulk of sales for the series I'm sure. DmC is going to sell well. It will have a sequel. Capcom have finally successfully outsourced a game (RE: ORC was a failure and I'm sure Lost Planet will be as well). You don't have to wait until the game comes out to know this. Reviews so far are good. Pre-orders are going well. People are excited.

Old Dante is gone for good.

Capcom themselves don't expect DmC to outsell RE:ORC which sold 2.2 million as of September 30, 2012.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Fantasmo

I bet there's one scene in DmC that will get more embarrassed rections than anything in the entire series but I wont spoil it :)

DLC not withstanding, Capcom is trying to stay top-tier as opposed to falling behind. Their entire portfolio is Japan wacky outside of Street Fighter and they know they're playing catch up. They're partnering with western developers to avoid falling behind. Western developers are outright demolishing Eastern ones in presentation and characterization. Their gameplay is tight but they are trying to avoid running the risk of being irrelevant. I don't know how it will end up, but they are trying and have been all gen. We got the fantastic Bionic Commando Rearmed out of GRIN, as well as the okay, unpolished yet somewhat fun Bionic Commando reboot.

Square-Enix had to do it too. They used to be Square and Enix. Now they're Square Enix Eidos and among Dragon's Quest and Final Fantasy they have Just Cause, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs. Ten years ago, that would have been really odd wouldn't it? I can imagine the conversation. "Wait, you're telling me the Final Fantasy guys are gonna get together with the Dragon Quest guys AND now they have Hitman, Tomb Raider, and the best GTA style games? What are you nuts?"

The contrast is that Capcom seems to be taking the Nintendo-Retro hands on approach as opposed to the Square Enix-Eidos hands off approach.

I agree with others that they don't know what RE is or has become anymore. That series has become way too much without knowing what it is anymore. It is still selling though, so there's that.

Midou

Devil May Cry 3 SE was the best.

Yes. Significantly better than the first. The only bad devil may cry was the second, and it had little to do with the staff who worked on the others. Other than that, it's not like half of 4 was bad, it was just redundant/back tracking. 2 great entries and 1 good entry out of 4 isn't bad.

SykoTech

Give megaman to wayforward. We get MM11 and MMX9 that are wonderful.

IT'S SO EASY.

That would work. Initial statement withdrew.

I guess I'm just so sick of Capcom's current direction with Mega Man that I've gotten to the point where I think anyone else could do a better job.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Nostradahbomb strikes again.

Man there are a lot of NT/DmC threads today.

It's the biggest release of the month

goddamn I wish it were February already

People are all worked up, how about playing the final game before making up your minds.

I'd love to for free

From what I've seen though, I don't want to for 60 dollars

rmanthorp

Do not want! I am really looking forward to DmC after being a hater for so long. However, I think Ninja Theory should be let free to explore other crazy shit. :(

OmegaZero

Capcom, just port DMC HD Collection to the Vita (or just DMC3 SE if that's too much to ask).
Then I'll never complain about DmC again.

Glass Rebel

DLC not withstanding, Capcom is trying to stay top-tier as opposed to falling behind. Their entire portfolio is Japan wacky outside of Street Fighter and they know they're playing catch up. They're partnering with western developers to avoid falling behind. Western developers are outright demolishing Eastern ones in presentation and characterization. Their gameplay is tight but they are trying to avoid running the risk of being irrelevant. I don't know how it will end up, but they are trying and have been all gen. We got the fantastic Bionic Commando Rearmed out of GRIN, as well as the okay, unpolished yet somewhat fun Bionic Commando reboot.

Square-Enix had to do it too. They used to be Square and Enix. Now they're Square Enix Eidos and among Dragon's Quest and Final Fantasy they have Just Cause, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs. Ten years ago, that would have been really odd wouldn't it? I can imagine the conversation. "Wait, you're telling me the Final Fantasy guys are gonna get together with the Dragon Quest guys AND now they have Hitman, Tomb Raider, and the best GTA style games? What are you nuts?"

The contrast is that Capcom seems to be taking the Nintendo-Retro hands on approach as opposed to the Square Enix-Eidos hands off approach.

I agree with others that they don't know what RE is or has become anymore. That series has become way too much without knowing what it is anymore. It is still selling though, so there's that.

I know what they're trying to do, I'm just saying that they aren't exactly succeeding.

Mit-

Capcom themselves don't expect DmC to outsell RE:ORC which sold 2.2 million as of September 30, 2012.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Damn, didn't know it ended up selling that well. That is undoubtedly a "success" but I label it as a failure because everyone fucking hated it. I work gaming retail and you wouldn't believe the hatred ratio. So many used copies at every GameStop. Most of them are traded in a week or two after purchase. So many people asking me why it was so bad. I had to reassure them not to be cryptic about RE6 and that it was outsourced and not made by Capcom. The game's success hurt the franchise's reputation and they'd be crazy to put out another game in the franchise by that shit developer. [/tangent]

DmC doesn't have to outsell 2.2 million (which is what, 6 months of ORC sales?) to be a success. 2.2 million is really good these days. I think extended sales numbers will easily break 2 million and we can be assured that the reception from critics and gamers will be much better than ORC's.

As far as comparing that to DMC4's 4 million, I'm guessing that's lifetime sales, and I also think that even if a proper DMC5 were releasing next week, it wouldn't sell that many copies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fucking Resident Evil: ORC sold 2.2 million?!

iba7T1WGbjwmFP.gif

Fantasmo

I know what they're trying to do, I'm just saying that they aren't exactly succeeding.

Capcom seems to have been putting a lot of effort into their games and their future. These partnerships are there for a reason. What better way to learn character, story design, cinematography and atmosphere than from people that are good at it? What better way for companies who aren't exactly tip top at game play than to learn from one of the best?

And for all the naysayers I think you'll see Mega Man again. Metroid took forever to reboot but it was worth it. Then we got Other M which may have had solid gameplay but was bad story wise. I don't like when that happens. And it's not too surprising considering Ninja Team is better at style and gameplay than presentation.

The market might decide that Ninja Theory's DMC sucks but I'm rooting for them. I don't want to see Capcom go under. Heck, I grew up on Capcom games.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm still amazed that ORC sold that amount after all the negative press and fan feedback. Jesus.

But in any case, DmC will sell over 2 million. That's Capcom's goal for its fiscal year, and I can see it reaching that amount.

Selvaria

Ninja Theory to continue destroying beloved Capcom franchises?

Not really surprising, but I had hoped that it wouldn't come to this.

Capcom is dead to me.

It's kind of scary how much hatred this game gets.

NT has improved the game greatly from it's first showing it seems and yet it is still trashed before anyone plays the full game.

I get why dudes are upset but could you at least try the game before writing it off?

ezekial45

Banned

NT has improved the game greatly from it's first showing it seems and yet it is still trashed before anyone plays the full game.

I get why dudes are upset but could you at least try the game before writing it off?

It's not DMC5 made by Capcom Japan, therefore they won't like it. Some people just refuse to give this game any credit because they hate what it represents.

Well, you have to take into consideration the PR that went behind this game. From the infamous "I don't care" to NT saying to the detractors ("They will secretly like it"). it's like they constantly berate people to play this game, rather than letting the game speak for itself.

I dunno man. Old Dante is borderline embarassing. Invite some non gamers over and put some DMC4 cutscenes on and see what kind of reactions you get. And the combat is just too technical outside of diehards. Maybe it'll suck, maybe it won't. Wait and see?

What? Uncle Dante is the definition of saturday morning self aware cartoon cheese! Are you embarrassed of the Turtles too? lol

Dahbomb

I dunno man. Old Dante is borderline embarassing. Invite some non gamers over and put some DMC4 cutscenes on and see what kind of reactions you get.
I have shown the intro cutscenes of DMC4 to numerous casuals and they love old man Dante. Then again most of them can't seem to tell the difference between Nero and Dante if it weren't for the arm.

This is shocking to hear but casuals don't actually take the DMC stories or characters that seriously and *GASP* have fun with their antics.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

It's Devil May Cry. Nothing in the full game is going to change your mind if you didn't like the demo. The basic mechanics are there and you either like them or you don't.

abadguy

Banned

Yes because yelling fuck you back and forth with some demon, is so much better. Not to mention my favorite "The world is your bitch, as am i". Award winning dialogue if i do say so myself.

At least the old series had sense enough not to take itself seriously.

Fantasmo

What? Uncle Dante is the definition of saturday morning self aware cartoon cheese! Are you embarrassed of the Turtles too? lol
So was God Hand. I loved God Hand. Most people didn't. Besides they aren't killing Dante, they're changing him up a bit. Using your own example, TMNT has changed a lot too including many updates to the designs hasn't it?

Its not like Dante is using pixie dust and rainbows and fighting Gargamel is he?

Mesoian

Yes because yelling fuck you back and forth with some demon, is so much better. Not to mention my favorite "The world is your bitch, as am i". Award winning dialogue if i do say so myself.

At least the old series had sense enough not to take itself seriously.

I don't see how you can consider anyone or thing saying that dialogue as "taking it seriously".

Why would I waste more time and money on a game that not only sets off all my bad game alarms, but also had a less than enjoyable demo?

I gave Ninja Theory a chance with Heavenly Sword, I was willing to wait until watching a handful of videos of Enslaved before I wrote it off, but I'm not giving them any more chances.

So was God Hand. I loved God Hand. Most people didn't. Besides they aren't killing Dante, they're changing him up a bit. Using your own example, TMNT has changed a lot too including many updates to the designs hasn't it?

Its not like Dante is using pixie dust and rainbows and fighting Gargamel is he?

I don't care about modern TMNT and was simply making a comparison to the older shows. I just don't see it as embarrassing, or maybe I don't care what others think about what I play?

MrKaepora

With so many talented studios out there I don't understand how can NT still have the support of big publishers.

Just keep them the fuck away from Megaman. And Monster Hunter. And Onimusha...you know what, give them some new project to keep them entertained and don't let them touch in anything else.

Top Bottom