• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Leaving for NYC tomorrow! And I'd like some advice from NYC GAF, if you would be so kind.

So 2 friends and myself keaving tomorrow (the 10th) from Montreal, and leaving on the 14th (Tuesday).

We want to attend a bunch of kendo practices (it's a kendo trip basically -- for those who don't know, kendo is a martial arts, a type of Japanese fencing). The other two girls will be driving, but they don't want to drive in NYC proper, because apparently it's Hell on Earth. Totally understandable. Also, our trip wasn't planned immensely in advance so finding a place to stay in NYC that was affordable was difficult on such short notice.

So, we decided to get an AirBnB in Jersey City, and to get around via transit as much as possible. According to the host I picked, it's very close to the transit leading into Manhattan. I'm guessing that's a train of sorts? Not familiar with the transit system at all.

Now, it's a kendo trip, but I've never been to NYC before, so also want to sneak in as much "tourism" as I can. My main dilemma is how we'll handle our equipment. On Saturday and Sunday afternoon, we have a kendo practice. So that gives us the morning free to visit. But, well, kendo gear is heavy and cumbersome and we don't want to carry it around while we visit stuff.
But, we also don't want to commute from Jersey into NYC, visit, then go back to Jersey to pick up our stuff, then go back to NYC. That's just way too time consuming and not practical.

Two options come to mind:
- Driving from Jersey to NYC but finding a daily parking and stashing our stuff there. According to a friend of mine who said he visited NYC a few times (but he lives in CT), however, that's not really feasible. He said it can cost $40-$100, which is insane. Is he right about that? :
- We thought there could be rentable lockers in some train stations or whatnot. But I don't know how it works, if it does. How much would it cost? Would they even be large enough to accommodate our equipment?

It's also possible that we could simply go to the training places (there's two different ones, both in Manhattan) well in advance and drop our stuff there, but I have no idea what these facilities are like, if they'll even be open early, if they have lockers, if their lockers are roomy enough, etc. I've sent inquiries but in case that doesn't work, any advice with regards to the above options (or anything you might think of)?

Thanks!

Depending on where the training places are, you could also try and find street parking somewhere if you really want to avoid paying for a garage. Driving in NYC is definitely not as terrible as it's made out to be, but the parking situation really depends on where you need to be.

Otherwise I'd just hope that the training places let you store your things there. Although the commute back to Jersey City might not be so bad, it wouldn't be ideal to go back and forth on a limited schedule.

GiJoccin

One place is in southern Manhattan (Thomas street), the other more to the north (East 74th Street, between 1st and 2nd ave).

i have no idea about the thomas street location, but if it's in Tribeca, i doubt you'll have much luck finding street parking. the east 74th st one you probably could find parking depending on how early you get in, also, it's the summer now, so parking is easier as lots of people leave the city on weekends

Anything else that's on your mind? I just find it hard to believe that I've been here 6 years and I've yet to find a similarly business-minded New Yorker to game with...

Well that would be me, I guess. See my post above for details.

Prime gaming time is between 11PM - 2AM as it helps me settle down before getting up bright and early for work.

How old are you? 29!
What is your occupation? Freelance animator
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? White
What part of the city do you reside in? Williamsburg for 1 more month
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? 12 years
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? jersey
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Share a 1BR with my wife and imaginary dog
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? brooklyn crab/hometown bbq in redhook. Pier 27(?) minigolf. Brooklyn bowl in wburg. Too many other places
Anything else that's on your mind? Anyone know of a place i can sublet for sept-spring?

Is there a meetup soon? Ive only done a vita meetup once. Id like to try another gaf one tho

Jhoan

Heat wave coming next week.
20130109.png

We're already dead. ;_; 7
I don't have AC. Someone save me.
Join the boat except that I have an AC but it's not installed because:
A. it would block the fire escape window (had it installed on that window for several years) which would mean a violation/fine if caught
B. I would have to buy and have the super install those AC platforms you see everywhere,
C. Have the super remove the super rusty window guard from my other window
D. Keep the utility bill from skyrocketing for the month

So I've been sleeping with both windows open and spread eagled on my bed. My brother and mother are both sleeping like babies with fans in their rooms. I might have to cave and order a standing fan to shoot it to my bed since I sleep on a bunk bed (top bunk FTW). =/

How old are you? 29!
What is your occupation? Freelance animator
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? White
What part of the city do you reside in? Williamsburg for 1 more month
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? 12 years
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? jersey
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Share a 1BR with my wife and imaginary dog
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? brooklyn crab/hometown bbq in redhook. Pier 27(?) minigolf. Brooklyn bowl in wburg. Too many other places
Anything else that's on your mind? Anyone know of a place i can sublet for sept-spring?

Is there a meetup soon? Ive only done a vita meetup once. Id like to try another gaf one tho
I forgot that Chelsea Piers has a mini golf course. Gotta add that to the OP and keep that in mind for a date idea in the future.

There's a ton of places up here in Washington Heights that have for rent signs left and right so that might be a lead for you. Otherwise, I don't know much about moving.

As for the bolded, DoktorEvil is taking over the GAF meet up organizing reigns while I take a break from it. Last time I checked, he was planning it for August so hopefully he'll launch the thread some time this month if he's out there lurking.I might organize one for December if the interest is there. Did you go to the Playstation E3 Experience this year?

On another note, I'm dying to trap the two mice that are currently scurrying around the apartment. Those little pieces of crap keep running in and out of my mother's cluttered closet which leads me that to believe that there's definitely a hole in there that needs to be sealed up. Got no cats/dogs so that's a no go and my super hasn't done a thing about it despite telling him.

Shiv47

Are the homeless people dragging NYC back to the "bad old days," NYCGAF? My wife and I are visiting in October, and my mother today tells me to be careful, because the homeless are apparently rampaging everywhere and Giuliani's not around to keep them in line, I guess. My parents watch a lot of Fox News, incidentally. I didn't bother to tell her we have shitloads of homeless people in the Detroit metro area panhandling all over the place.

toneroni

Are the homeless people dragging NYC back to the "bad old days," NYCGAF? My wife and I are visiting in October, and my mother today tells me to be careful, because the homeless are apparently rampaging everywhere and Giuliani's not around to keep them in line, I guess. My parents watch a lot of Fox News, incidentally. I didn't bother to tell her we have shitloads of homeless people in the Detroit metro area panhandling all over the place.
Lol not at all. A few here and there depending on location but it's fine. October is a great time to visit but the temperature can get cold pretty quick. What are you planning to check out?

Bloodrage

Banned
I haven't even heard anything about rampaging homeless people.

what exactly is "rampaging" lol

A lot of them do like to hang around port authority, but I've never had an issues with them or see them cause any problems.

Your mother sounds like a winner, Rudy was one of the worst things to happen to this city.

People keep moving to my city (a large city on the west coast), saying NYC is "done", too expensive, Brooklyn is over, etc. Are these just bitter people, or has NYC changed dramatically recently? I ask in part because I've been thinking moving there.

People keep moving to my city (a large city on the west coast), saying NYC is "done", too expensive, Brooklyn is over, etc. Are these just bitter people, or has NYC changed dramatically recently? I ask in part because I've been thinking moving there.

Anybody who qualifies any city or neighborhood using words like "done" or "over" immediately flags themselves as a swollen, walking, talking hemorrhoid with nothing of value to contribute to your understanding of a region.

As far as the city goes, if you're thinking of moving here, come spend time and see if it grabs you, otherwise you can live somewhere else for MUCH cheaper. Oh, and change is the only constant here.

They sound bitter. I don't what they mean by "Brooklyn" is over. been living here for 3 year s now. It's still great to me.

Anybody who qualifies any city or neighborhood using words like "done" or "over" immediately flags themselves as a swollen, walking, talking hemorrhoid with nothing of value to contribute to your understanding of a region.

As far as the city goes, if you're thinking of moving here, come spend time and see if it grabs you, otherwise you can live somewhere else for MUCH cheaper. Oh, and change is the only constant here.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've visited and I love the city, but of course you never quite know until you experience the daily grind. Wouldn't look forward to the humidity/cold or the smaller apartment, but love the vibrancy, energy, and diversity of people there.

Lulubop

It's certainly changed dramatically since I was born, my neighborhood especially. Both in good and bad ways. I'll take the compromise.

Kisaya

It does sound dramatic and bitter, but honestly I'm kind of sick of Brooklyn. I was born and raised, and lived here for 22 years, and it's just not the same anymore. I would love to move to Queens, but most likely in the next 10 years it'll be the same shit.

Anyways, I love this city so god damn much. It's going to hurt a bit when I leave in two weeks and will be living in Chicago. I'm a bit excited to live out of the NYC bubble, but also scared. Being from NYC is so much of my identity and, although this sounds dramatic as well, it just feels like I'm going to lose it.

jasonng

I do feel a bit resentful with the way how the city is morphing but that's just because I grew up here. It's heartbreaking to see some of your favorite places being torn down and replaced with a high luxury condo or starbucks or Duane Reade or whatever. That's just how it goes since everyone wants to move here. The cost of living keeps getting jacked up because of it. It's hard for someone like me who doesn't have much to go by to find a place to live. All the places that were once affordable are no longer in my price range. I feel like the city is pushing me out.

They can go F themselves, in so many words.

There are plenty of places to live that aren't the trendy Brooklyn or Manhattan. NYC has 3 other boroughs and Long Island. There are plenty of places that will accommodate people to live here, but I have zero sympathies for people who flock to trendy areas. Too many "artisan" types move here only to end up homeless, panhandling, or barely making ends meet without a solid plan.

If you expect to move here, prepare to dramatically evaluate your lifestyle and make concessions on what you can and cant have. Prepare for some of your trendy NYC friends(see transients) judge you on the neighborhood you choose to live in if they don't live in it. Prepare to not have as much money in your pocket, but if you're a single person, your options expand. Budget ideally between 25-33% of your monthly take home for rent.

Don't let any Residential broker take you for a ride. Expect your apartment to have functional utilities, working appliances, and at the minimum 400 sq ft and windows. Also, a fire escape that you can access. Test the utilities & appliances and make sure they operate.

Consider whether or not the building you look at has an elevator. That will make your life so much easier come moving day.

It does sound dramatic and bitter, but honestly I'm kind of sick of Brooklyn. I was born and raised, and lived here for 22 years, and it's just not the same anymore. I would love to move to Queens, but most likely in the next 10 years it'll be the same shit.

Anyways, I love this city so god damn much. It's going to hurt a bit when I leave in two weeks and will be living in Chicago. I'm a bit excited to live out of the NYC bubble, but also scared. Being from NYC is so much of my identity and, although this sounds dramatic as well, it just feels like I'm going to lose it.

Having visited Chicago, it's a very similar big city vibe to Manhattan. There's solid public transportation, plenty of tall buildings, and a solid cultural scene similar to NYC's. If you can tolerate rooting for the Blackhawks, the Cubs, and the Bulls, it's not a bad trade off.

nel e nel

Not so much 'over' as 'getting ridiculously expensive'.

When you start factoring in biases a lot of people have about 'poor' (read: black and latino) neighborhoods, and their refusal to live in those neighborhoods, you then have a bunch of middle class white folks complaining that they can't afford to live in a 'good' neighborhood to raise their kids in. So they pack it up, declare it done and move on to somewhere else.

Also, what DoktorEvil said.

Ah the homeless rampages, one of the underreported facts of New York life.

They're from Detroit and complaining about NYC?

They can go F themselves, in so many words.

There are plenty of places to live that aren't the trendy Brooklyn or Manhattan. NYC has 3 other boroughs and Long Island. There are plenty of places that will accommodate people to live here, but I have zero sympathies for people who flock to trendy areas. Too many "artisan" types move here only to end up homeless, panhandling, or barely making ends meet without a solid plan.

If you expect to move here, prepare to dramatically evaluate your lifestyle and make concessions on what you can and cant have. Prepare for some of your trendy NYC friends(see transients) judge you on the neighborhood you choose to live in if they don't live in it. Prepare to not have as much money in your pocket, but if you're a single person, your options expand. Budget ideally between 25-33% of your monthly take home for rent.

Don't let any Residential broker take you for a ride. Expect your apartment to have functional utilities, working appliances, and at the minimum 400 sq ft and windows. Also, a fire escape that you can access. Test the utilities & appliances and make sure they operate.

Consider whether or not the building you look at has an elevator. That will make your life so much easier come moving day.

Having visited Chicago, it's a very similar big city vibe to Manhattan. There's solid public transportation, plenty of tall buildings, and a solid cultural scene similar to NYC's. If you can tolerate rooting for the Blackhawks, the Cubs, and the Bulls, it's not a bad trade off.
That feels a bit low unless your making some good money 33%-40% I think is how much most of my friends are paying. I'm paying I think around 40%ish but I have no health care costs, no transportation costs, etc because of my job so it's not as bad

nel e nel

That feels a bit low unless your making some good money 33%-40% I think is how much most of my friends are paying. I'm paying I think around 40%ish but I have no health care costs, no transportation costs, etc because of my job so it's not as bad

That 25-33% of your take home income going towards rent is the IDEAL that most financial advisors will say you should aim for. Varies from place to place and cost of living of course. We save thousands of dollars a year by not owning cars in NYC - for those of us lucky enough to not need one.

That 25-33% of your take home income going towards rent is the IDEAL that most financial advisors will say you should aim for. Varies from place to place and cost of living of course. We save thousands of dollars a year by not owning cars in NYC - for those of us lucky enough to not need one.

This. It's what people who want to have money to live and invest with aim for. If 33-40% is your ideal, you're spending too much money on housing that could be better utilized towards a retirement fund, college fund, or towards more of your hobbies.

Jhoan

Hahaha, you gotta tell your parents to lay off the Rupert Murdoch crack and watch/read more balanced stuff such as The Times to get a real perspective on what's been going on lately. Giuliani wasn't exactly a saint of a mayor that ushered in a golden era for the city by any means. You and your wife will be fine.

It's nowhere near as bad as San Francisco's homeless situation where public defecation is a huge issue (well it does happen in the subway occasionally but that's besides the point) but I see my fair share of panhandlers in my neighborhood. They do ask for money in the subway but that's besides the point. Hopefully the homeless people in Detroit aren't aggressive with their panhandling since that can be annoying and scary.
Those same people are going to eventually complain about your city being too expensive to live in, move to another city, and repeat the cycle until they either move to another country or relocate to a rural state that supposedly has the next big "scene."

To echo what MickeyKnox said, things are constantly changing here on a weekly basis. Hell, in my neighborhood of Washington Heights--- where I've lived forever---there's tons of vacated stores that have For Rent signs left and right. The types of businesses poised to take over remains to be seen but considering that there's a Starbucks across the street from my nearest subway station, a Chipotle further down south, a GameStop, and a Planet Fitness intermixed with the small businesses and regional chain supermarkets means change has been coming for a while.

In addition to that, the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal is in the middle of a massive overhaul that's expected to create new jobs in the area with the business that plan to occupy the space but also attract more affluent families/young professionals in the process. Gentrification is a complicated subject but it's a necessary evil with trade offs in the end of the day if it means a safer neighborhood.

To echo what's been said above, ideally you would want 30% of your income to be going towards rent if you're single. It's tough to do that but it is doable so long as you don't as you don't live in areas that are trendy/near Manhattan e.g. Williamsburg and Long Island City. Too many out-of-towners make the mistake of wanting to live in popular NYC areas TV shows that they saw and fell in love with only live there with 5 roommates and get priced out eventually.

Look at you all grown up now! :D Not at all, I think a change of scenery would do you some good since it'll give you perspective and help you appreciate the pros and cons of each city. They have some pretty decent cons you can attend including C2E2 Expo (organized by the same company that runs NYCC and all the PAX cons among others) and you have a good GAF family out there to support you. Winters are gonna suck though but I think you'll be fine otherwise. You can come visit family/friends during the holidays or the summer.

I fell in love with Boston the first time I went there last year and this year reaffirmed it more since I saw more of it (albeit, still the inner areas). The subway is clean, fast, and has cushioned seats plus Bostonians are pretty friendly. Would I live out there in the future? Maybe since I spoke to a comic artist and his wife at Special Edition---both of whom were former New Yorkers---but now live out in Salem and love it while they miss certain charms/events in NYC. Although Philly has the bigger art scene thinking about it from a professional standpoint but I digress.

As a quick slightly off-topic side note: You guys may or may not have heard that Nintendo World has a memorial set up where people can leave a message/condolences for the late Satoru Iwata. I'm going to be passing by there around 3:30/4ish to meet up with a friend there and leave a message.

My phone is currently in a repair shop out in Jersey City so I won't be able to check GAF on the go but all are welcome to join me. I'll probably be there for an hour or so gathering StreetPasses and whatnot. I have no solid plans as to what I'll be doing afterwards.

And lastly, the Central Park Fountain area was beautiful yesterday. People were out in row boats so remember that that's a damn good date idea for this season folks whether you're single or married. It's touristy as hell but damn if it isn't a relaxing area to do some thinking/drawing.

EDIT: And it's raining. Fantastic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
it doesn't even matter if it's 76 degrees out please come back winter/fall
dac15_sad.gif

Oxn

Sigh...I miss NYC...No halal trucks here in south jersey. That was my go to food when drinking...lamb over rice with the white sauce :(

I had it so much at one point I cant even eat that stuff anymore. Besides it is so dang unhealthy.

but it was oh so good when i did.

I had it so much at one point I cant even eat that stuff anymore. Besides it is so dang unhealthy.

but it was oh so good when i did.

lol. I really only ate it when I was drinking. It's like the perfect drunk food. Plus it was like right across from where I lived so it was convenient.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
they opened up a halal store front on 14th and 2nd like 200 feet from my apt

it's been.... rough on my stomach, to say the least

Didn't know there was a NYCGaf, cool!

Been living here for two and a half years. And by here, I mean Staten Island. Near the ferry though, so I barely travel in borough.

It's quiet, safe, but boring. I wish I lived in another borough. Plan on it when I make more money.

Oxn

Didn't know there was a NYCGaf, cool!

Been living here for two and a half years. And by here, I mean Staten Island. Near the ferry though, so I barely travel in borough.

It's quiet, safe, but boring. I wish I lived in another borough. Plan on it when I make more money.

Whats the rent like over there

Guys...can someone confirm since I no longer live in NYC. Someone I know in Staten Island I'm talking to on the phone just now said there is ISIS killing people there down the street from her with rifles and they are shutting down bridges n stuff? She lives in New Dorp...no idea if she is screwing with me or not?

Guys...can someone confirm since I no longer live in NYC. Someone I know in Staten Island I'm talking to on the phone just now said there is ISIS killing people there down the street from her with rifles and they are shutting down bridges n stuff? She lives in New Dorp
Someone thought they saw rifles and a lockdown was issued. The rifles were paintball guns and the lockdown was lifted. That's it, I think.

Edit: by lockdown, they mean the Coast Guard set up checkpoints at bridges

yencid

Had an awesome trip down to coney island today. they have a street art gallery there at the moment and i was surprised since they actually had fireworks today even though its friday.

if anyones interested they are showing the goonies on monday at 8:30 on the beach. I posted todays pictures on the gram.

EDIT: also i was finally able to use yencid again on my instagram so its no longer yencidkh

https://instagram.com/yencid

Top Bottom