• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

This thread is heading towards a bad place.

Oh god, leaf it alone, my brains are starting to leek out.

Shouldn't we just drop the "Press" from the thread title, or actually make the OT by now? We're a week out from public consumption.

I don't see the point in migrating to a new thread when this one isn't even halfway to the usual 20k post cut-off and people are already subscribed to this one.

Complistic

joking aside the sylvari are pretty awesome. My main alt is going to be a female sylvari necro. I mean what's more awesome than a carnivorous plant that controls death?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Charr Male Warrior
Human Female Mesmer
Asura Male Guardian
Sylvari Female Thief
Human Female Elementalist
Sylvari Male Ranger

alazz

If you don't main a human you're just doing it wrong. That's all there is to it.

When the full game comes out that is. Everything's fair game in a beta.

I think I'm going to first try, in the full game,
Male Human Guardian (my GW main is a male warrior, but guardian sounds too cool to not main right now)
Asuran Warrior
Charr Ranger

everything else is up in the air. I like playing human. Makes me feel like I could be that guy. Although I like all of the GW2 races, most of the time I feel as if humanoid fantasy races are too wet-dream perfect, and that's unappealing. There's something grounded about all the GW races, even Sylvari. They look don't look like barbies and ken dolls.

I want to play a female Norn, really just because
Jora was hot
...haven't decided what. Maybe an engineer.

I'd love to name a Sylvari necro Compost.

Retro

I'm so uncreative I hadn't thought of Venus before. I'll probably do something with that.

I'm the opposite, I spent too much time coming up with names. The name I have reserved for my Sylvari Mesmer, for example, has the first name of my Blood Elf Paladin, "Eresia", which is Italian for "heresy" (since at the time, Blood Elf paladins had stolen their holy powers by sucking it from a giant... divine.. windchime. um... moving on). It's also the name given to a genus of butterflies.

The way I understand it from Ghosts of Ascalon, Sylvari don't really have last names, but instead have titles derived from the situation in which they were 'born' ; Killeen gives her name as "Killeen, born of the Cycle of Night", for example.

The last name I picked, "Farfallen", implies my character was born higher in the Pale Tree than usual and thus 'fell far'. It also kind of implies that the character might have a shady past (which I hope I'll be able to actually follow via Personal Story)."Farfalle" is Italian for "Butterfly" (and yeah, there's a variety of pasta named that too), with an N tacked on.

And of course, Mesmers have lots of butterflies in their spells and visuals, tying it all together; Eresia Farfallen

/lorenerd

Not looking forward to people trying to pronounce "Eresia" (past guildmates couldn't) or people being smart asses and shortening that last name to "Farf".

ShaneB

Once I found a name in WoW that became "me", basically what I was called in Vent chat, I pretty much just name all other characters that same name with added letters at the end.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
As long as it doesn't have "shadow", "dark", "blade", or any other variant of "Sephiroth", you're good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm the opposite, I spent too much time coming up with names. The name I have reserved for my Sylvari Mesmer, for example, has the first name of my Blood Elf Paladin, "Eresia", which is Italian for "heresy" (since at the time, Blood Elf paladins had stolen their holy powers by sucking it from a giant... divine.. windchime. um... moving on). It's also the name given to a genus of butterflies.

The way I understand it from Ghosts of Ascalon, Sylvari don't really have last names, but instead have titles derived from the situation in which they were 'born' ; Killeen gives her name as "Killeen, born of the Cycle of Night", for example.

The last name I picked, "Farfallen", implies my character was born higher in the Pale Tree than usual and thus 'fell far'. It also kind of implies that the character might have a shady past (which I hope I'll be able to actually follow via Personal Story)."Farfalle" is Italian for "Butterfly" (and yeah, there's a variety of pasta named that too), with an N tacked on.

And of course, Mesmers have lots of butterflies in their spells and visuals, tying it all together; Eresia Farfallen

/lorenerd

Not looking forward to people trying to pronounce "Eresia" (past guildmates couldn't) or people being smart asses and shortening that last name to "Farf".
Hey you ain't thte only one. All my characters are Hawkian _____ with the blank either being a chosen name or something identifying about the character. My thinking was that Hawkian in-game was a title, not a name, and that each of my characters belonged to the Order of the Hawk (which I retconned into a splinter of the Zaishen order that worships Melandru), so that my characters running around didn't have first and last names, but title and alias, like General Whatever, Sunspear Whosits, etc. I hope to continue this tradition and have a character or two literally embody the same position in the Order as his predecessor, and choose the same alias.

Hey you ain't thte only one. All my characters are Hawkian _____ with the blank either being a chosen name or something identifying about the character. My thinking was that Hawkian in-game was a title, not a name, and that each of my characters belonged to the Order of the Hawk (which I retconned into a splinter of the Zaishen order that worships Melandru), so that my characters running around didn't have first and last names, but title and alias, like General Whatever, Sunspear Whosits, etc. I hope to continue this tradition and have a character or two literally embody the same position in the Order as his predecessor, and choose the same alias.

Which one was your Enkidu character? I remember talking to you in-game in GW1, but I haven't had time to log in due to too much work and spending time here on the forums. <_<

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Which one was your Enkidu character? I remember talking to you in-game in GW1, but I haven't had time to log in due to too much work and spending time here on the forums. <_<
Hawkian Enkidu was my first character and still my "main" in the sense that I have completely the most stuff in-game with him.

He chose "Enkidu" as his name upon becoming part of the Order as a reference to the character in the Babylonian myth of Gilgamesh; that Enkidu was a wild-man raised by animals and attuned to nature, largely unconcerned with petty human squabbles. My character chose his name because as a Ranger he identified more with the spirit of Melandru and the natural world than any other member.

Retro

So.... um... this thread is abandoned, then?

But it was so good to us!

And I had the second highest post count!

BLACKBAR.png

Haha, got you.

Trey

I'll be posting in the other thread from now on unless something dramatic happens. See you fine folks on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom