• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The tunnel is such a waste of money. Is anyone going to seriously use it without any downtown exits? And isn't it also going to be tolled?

The vast majority of traffic on that stretch of 99 isn't going downtown. And now it's "gone."

That's not to say it's a perfect solution, or that there won't be related issues, but I lived in San Francisco after the quake knocked down the 101, which ran EXACTLY like the 99, straight through the most desirable stretch of Waterfront in the city, and was a fucking eyesore and a humiliating blot on the landscape.

The replacement there was worse in many ways - that is, they simply didn't replace it. So now all the traffic that used to thunder right past the waterfront, blocking the view, riddled with homeless and crime, was gone and replaced with a beautiful public space and moderated traffic that was 100% headed to destinations in that area. It was a fantastic improvement to the city, and the traffic simply adapted. More went up Van Ness, even more simply went across the Bay bridges. The Golden Gate area and Marin improved too.

This will fatten up the 5 corridor, North seattle to Seatac will be almost 100% 99 and 5 now, but coasting under and past, rather than straight through downtown. Sports games could be nightmarish? Hard to say.

But the waterfront improvement will be a jewel in our crown and be great for the city and the public. It will also shunt the homeless and drug addicts and their support structure, out of the area (as soon as we get rid of Murray who is encouraging them so he can build high rises in your leafy avenues) and hopefully become the beating heart of the city. Because the Seattle center is kinda weak.

woodchuck

I'll be moving to Seattle in the end of June for my job. I'll be working near Virginia Mason hospital, in the First Hill area. I'm currently looking at neighborhoods to move in to. I will have a car with me.

1) Any particular neighborhoods I should look at? My two biggest preferences are walkability of the neighborhood as well as commute of less than 30 minutes. I'm just going to get a studio. My max budget for rent is $1700 (including parking...unless street parking is easily accessible and free near my apt). I'm thinking about either Capitol Hill or Ballard. Any other neighborhoods I should look at? If I lived in Capitol Hill, I would walk to work and use my car for other stuff.

2) what would be the optimum time to fly to Seattle and scout for apartments? My approximate move in date is around June 25. I'm thinking of going to Seattle June 10 to look for places. Is that too late?

Thanks!

dLMN8R

I'll be moving to Seattle in the end of June for my job. I'll be working near Virginia Mason hospital, in the First Hill area. I'm currently looking at neighborhoods to move in to. I will have a car with me.

1) Any particular neighborhoods I should look at? My two biggest preferences are walkability of the neighborhood as well as commute of less than 30 minutes. I'm just going to get a studio. My max budget for rent is $1700 (including parking...unless street parking is easily accessible and free near my apt). I'm thinking about either Capitol Hill or Ballard. Any other neighborhoods I should look at? If I lived in Capitol Hill, I would walk to work and use my car for other stuff.

2) what would be the optimum time to fly to Seattle and scout for apartments? My approximate move in date is around June 25. I'm thinking of going to Seattle June 10 to look for places. Is that too late?

Thanks!

Nice! My wife works right across the street from Virginia Mason.

If you want a commute of 30 minutes or less, you probably don't want to do Ballard. Much like Fremont, where I live, you'd need to take a bus downtown first, and then walk or bus up the hill all the way to Virginia Mason. Maybe 45 minutes all-told.

If you're in Capitol Hill, yes walking would be super-easy to do given where you're working. And then everything else would be really walkable too. But at that point it's really just a matter of whether you can find something in your price range in Capitol Hill, since it's more expensive than most other neighborhoods.

smisk

I'm planning a trip to the Pacific NW in early June, flying in Seattle and out of Portland, going to be doing some camping. I'm trying to decide how much time I should spend in the city before, would two full days be a decent amount of time? I'm flying in on a Friday so then I'd spend the weekend in Seattle and leave to go camping on the Monday.
I know I want to see the Living Computer Museum, but not sure what else to do so hit me with suggestions if you got 'em, preferably stuff that's acceptable to do alone.

I'm planning a trip to the Pacific NW in early June, flying in Seattle and out of Portland, going to be doing some camping. I'm trying to decide how much time I should spend in the city before, would two full days be a decent amount of time? I'm flying in on a Friday so then I'd spend the weekend in Seattle and leave to go camping on the Monday.
I know I want to see the Living Computer Museum, but not sure what else to do so hit me with suggestions if you got 'em, preferably stuff that's acceptable to do alone.

I had no idea that was a thing.

What other things are you into? You can do pretty much anything on your own in Seattle.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

First Hill itself is perfectly livable in your price range and has easy walking access to Capitol Hill, downtown, the central and international districts, etc. Some buildings have parking lots or garages (you will always pay a monthly fee, ain't nobody just giving free parking spots away around here). The new high rise apartment buildings are what you'll mostly find listed online, but there are plenty of nice older buildings in the area for less monthly rent; you're going to need to do some legwork to check 'em out, since they're more likely to just have sidewalk signs out saying if there's vacancy.

watershed

Banned
The sun is out so naturally everyone in Seattle is out and about and the entire city has come to a grinding halt. Not just traffic on the streets, people everywhere.

hie

It's pretty small/sparse, so that won't take you long.

woodchuck

First Hill itself is perfectly livable in your price range and has easy walking access to Capitol Hill, downtown, the central and international districts, etc. Some buildings have parking lots or garages (you will always pay a monthly fee, ain't nobody just giving free parking spots away around here). The new high rise apartment buildings are what you'll mostly find listed online, but there are plenty of nice older buildings in the area for less monthly rent; you're going to need to do some legwork to check 'em out, since they're more likely to just have sidewalk signs out saying if there's vacancy.

Good idea. I'll try to walk around First Hill to see if there's any openings.

Nice! My wife works right across the street from Virginia Mason.

If you want a commute of 30 minutes or less, you probably don't want to do Ballard. Much like Fremont, where I live, you'd need to take a bus downtown first, and then walk or bus up the hill all the way to Virginia Mason. Maybe 45 minutes all-told.

If you're in Capitol Hill, yes walking would be super-easy to do given where you're working. And then everything else would be really walkable too. But at that point it's really just a matter of whether you can find something in your price range in Capitol Hill, since it's more expensive than most other neighborhoods.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you going to have parking at your work?

I will have parking at my job. As far as how much it costs, I do not know yet. The cost of parking will play a big role in what I decide to do.

jb1234

Thanks!

I'd stick with central Seattle just to keep your commute down. Capitol Hill, First Hill especially are good bets. Just make sure that you find a building that offers dedicated parking. Street parking in the area is a nightmare.

Stinkles

Windpocalypse.

Remember that brief but crazy wind at like, six pm? Well, I heard a crack and a THWANG and got distracted and never even looked outside.

That's my neighbor's truck. Sorry Doug.

ZqbS4Sy.jpg

And that's a cast iron fence, bent like a tin can. If that had been a person, they'd be an ex-person now.

rm9tWfa.jpg

Stinkles

My gigantic Catalpa tree hung in there like a champ. It pays to have an arborist trim it every three years.

We had that tree trimmed last year for exactly this reason. My concern now is the lower branches struck by that drop and rot. I chainsawed it into portable chunks and it was suspiciously soft. Arborist said it was solid though.

We had that tree trimmed last year for exactly this reason. My concern now is the lower branches struck by that drop and rot. I chainsawed it into portable chinks and it was suspiciously soft. Arborist said it was solid though.

That's weird. We had a core sample taken on ours last year and the guy said ours was still viable (it's at least 80 years old at this point), but I'm always nervous whenever the winds pick up.

andthebeatgoeson

I had a good week in Seattle. The weather sucked and i couldn't eat at a lot of great places because we had the kids but it was enjoyable. We went whale watching too.

I'm never coming back, on purpose, unless it's summer time or I'm going to whistler.

leroidys

Windpocalypse.

Remember that brief but crazy wind at like, six pm? Well, I heard a crack and a THWANG and got distracted and never even looked outside.

That's my neighbor's truck. Sorry Doug.

ZqbS4Sy.jpg

And that's a cast iron fence, bent like a tin can. If that had been a person, they'd be an ex-person now.

rm9tWfa.jpg

I have to remember to come back to this thread to see what fell on Stinkles every time there's a windstorm.

Top Bottom