• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls Trip Review Thread

Dereck

CCmm63S.gif

hoos30

I don't know what is more shocking: The good reviews for this movie or the fact that there is a GAF review thread about it.

Dereck

I just saw it.

The trailers did an awful job, but that's good.

This movie doesn't really give a fuck.

It's crazy, Tiffany Haddish takes the wheel for the first 15 minutes, after that the rest of the cast joins her.

This movie was a lot, it was funny too, go watch it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't know what is more shocking: The good reviews for this movie or the fact that there is a GAF review thread about it.
This movie looked like the only comedy that would be good and do well all summer so I'm not sure why so many people are shocked it's reviewing well.

There being a GAF thread is the more shocking event. Though I guess everyone is starved for a good comedy right now.

Socivol

This movie was so amazing! I don't think I ever laughed this hard at a movie ever. I was in tears at certain points because I was laughing so hard. I will be going to see it again. The cast is great and it's just so funny.

Trey

Good movie. Theater was packed at a late showing. The bow was tied a little too tight at the end and queen latifah character didn't have much to work with, but it was solid and funny

deo

Banned
Girls-Trip-Starring-Regina-Hall-Looking-for-Extras.jpg

This is a 46-year old person. What dark lord of magicks owes her a favor?

I also called this doing better than Rough Night. The trailer looked more fun. Which is a shame - I actually really like the people behind Rough Night, but it looked like a movie from 2002.

Black dont crack maaaaaaan

I got tickets for my wife and her friend while my buddy and I went to see Dunkirk. They loved it, and laughed a helluva lot.

Saw it last night with my wife. The plot of the movie wasn't that bad, which if you compare to Rough Night, wasn't hard to do. I think the problem with the hard R vacation comedies with friends is that the director wants to put the cast in some once-in-a-lifetime scenarios that they think audiences may want to laugh at.

But you could simply put them in real life scenarios that actually makes sense. Treat them like regular people with normal human interactions. Is it boring to do it that way, probably. But then you don't have it taking away from the movie. Which I'm all for.

There was a nice call back to Set It Off in one scene and it didn't hit me until Tiffany's character made a call to it.

Larenz Tate's character was short but had impact. Held his own in a sea of strong characters which his own was shown with a lot of mental strength. A lot of respect for him for trying to go about it the right way.

Mike Colter's character was manipulating asshole and disliked that guy from the revelation on. But you can't be a good heel if you don't have heel heat. So it worked and did his job well.

Kate Walsh (dunno if she was shown in the trailers) was good for the time she was on screen. Handled her comedic parts well.

I said to my wife that I missed seeing Regina Hall on the big screen. She's so good in her own way. Great job in the film.

I didn't know Queen Latifah had such a sailor's mouth. It like opened my eyes. I mean it's a Hard R, but I wasn't ready. I think she did well with what she had to work with as far as her role in the major plot.

Jada Pinkett Smith playing as the mom-turned-freak was hilarious. You could see the gradual turn throughout the film, but even when she was intoxicated, she never let go of her momness (I know it's not a word). She was the bandaid for all the small stuff, the bickering within the group. And when she had to turn it 180 degrees she was amazing. She can play 101 personalities and change between them with no effort. She's really good at this.

And the star of the show Tiffany Haddish. She made the movie. I saw an interview she did with local news station Fox 5's Kevin (forgot the last name), but he does all the entertainment news. And it was revealed in that interview that she ad libbed about 75% of the movie. I believe it because a lot of the off camera comments were funny and had great delivery to hit a point home. She was like the one woman who would die for her friends, beat down someone who disrespects him and call out any and all bullshit. (all things she said or did in the movie).

I can't see how Tiffany doesn't get more roles because of this movie. She's officially a household name.

The only major gripe is how it ended. Very happily ever after stuff as far as Regina's career went, but the other 120 minutes where fantastic.

You should go and watch. Just because it's a movie involving black women doesn't mean it's not funny for all people who can watch a hard R comedy.

HiiiLife

Funniest movie I've seen since Superbad (which is probably one of my favorite comedies / movies ever).

Tiffany was too funny.

All the females in the audience fawning over the dude with the rose lol

Top Bottom