• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Naked Gun appreciation thread

TakumiTrueno

Neo Member
I love the Naked Gun movies, they are too funny. They get me everytime.

Thanks guys, I never knew there was a Police Squad show. As short a it is, im gonna watch it all now.

The naked gun franchise, police squad, airplane, top secret and hot shots are incredible.

It's really sad we don't get this kind of comedy anymore.

Dalek

Need some levity in my life given current events...

That+s+the+way+the+cookie+crumbles+from+the+show+police_a8c462_4760066.gif

lol

How did they not crack up at this?

Raide

Police Squad was a thing of genius. Still makes me laugh to this day. Naked Gun also holds that crown for me. As many have said, the Nordburg shooting scene leaves me weak every time.

Jacknapes

Sat in bed last night watching the clips posted, the Wrongfully Accused train chase scene had me in stitches. Can't buy that movie in the UK, however i did see it on sale in France so i picked it up. Has the original English (w/t French subs) and French dub.

Still rank the Naked Gun movies as some of the finest comedy movies ever made. You just don't get them anymore, well not as good as they were.

Leslie Nielsen a slapstick comedy legend.

Preezy

All quality films, get better with each viewing as you pick up on some subtle gag you didn't spot the previous 87 times.

Too bad David Zucker devolved into a right wing fuckwit and made An American Carol. Jim Abrahams was probably the real talent behind Naked Gun, he’s credited for writing Hot Shots as well.

I really miss screwball comedies. Just gag after gag after gag, and so many of them were winners.

the proper parody genre really did die after the 90's.

Airplane, Top Secret, Naked Gun series
Hot Shots series
-rip-

(okay Tropic Thunder, Eagleheart and Anchorman are pretty close)

For sure, they're among the funniest movies ever made. Even though the two sequels aren't nearly as revered as the first film, I actually like them almost as much. Leslie Nielsen was really gifted for this sort of thing, it's just a shame that much of the spoof material he worked with outside of Airplane! and The Naked Gun was far below him. Repossessed and Spy Hard were pretty damn bad and I know he did even worse.

Edit - if anyone's interested in checking out the Japanese equivalent of The Naked Gun, watch Battlefield Baseball. Legit hilarious movie.

I know most will think they are in entirely different leagues, but I also enjoyed 'National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon' and always get a chuckle.

The NG series is top tier.

Never seen 'Top Secret' though, excited about watching it later.

meppi

I know most will think they are in entirely different leagues, but I also enjoyed 'National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon' and always get a chuckle.

Just rewatched it two weeks ago actually.
Was surprised at how lame it starts, especially in Whoopi's home. But after that it get's going and once it does, oh boy! :D

Melubas

So good, recently rewatched the first one on netflix. Used to watch them with my dad when I was a kid. Shame they only seem to have the first movie on netflix here in sweden.

jelly

Your coat sir

Yes and I have the receipt to prove it!

Love them, comedies now are just dull, overly rude, toilet humour and drugs. It's like a circle jerk of the same crowd making shit films.

Your coat sir

Love them, comedies now are just dull, overly rude, toilet humour and drugs. It's like a circle jerk of the same crowd making shit films.

Michael Showalter and David Wain still make good stuff like this. The Baxter is a romantic comedy in the same style, Wet Hot American Summer, Wanderlust, Stella. Absurdist goofy word play and sight gags and just really fun. And 30 Rock is 7 glorious seasons of it but it's over now ):

Kimmy Schmidt is pretty good with it at least. Not as good as 30 Rock but it's close. Probably closer than anything else we have at the moment.

Garlador

Your coat sir

There is one group I still appreciate that understands the balance between parody and homage.
25192214202_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Black Dynamite was also pretty spot-on in terms of ridiculous humor and loving tribute as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hulu has all three currently, BUT it seems 2 and 3 will be removed in a week---so get watching!

The funniest movie of all time for me. I've seen it so many times yet it still has me crying every single time. The shitty dummies during the baseball stadium sequence are hysterical:

nordberg.gif

Top drawer quality movies.

Always remember getting an adolescent boner when the police car in the opening credits drove through the women's showers. Manys a time the VCR was paused during that scene. Anything for a bit of tit in them days!

Good times!

New002

I love Rashida, but I don't think she quite gets it. Gotta play it straight / deadpan everything in this style of comedy. She tries, but can't help but giving it a little too much ham.

Yeah. It's like the show is a big joke (in a good way) but the cast is in on the joke and knows it. Whereas these other films and Police Squad were a big joke (in a good way), but the characters involved played it super straight, which is what made it all work.

Futureman

so glad this topic got bumped back up as I meant to reply the other day...

Naked Gun and 2 1/2 are probably my two favorite comedies. Heck... my favorite movies?

33 1/3 is still great but feels like it lost a small step compared to the first two.

I really should get a Blu-Ray player. That trilogy is so cheap.

I always wished there was an easier way to watch all of the deleted scenes in these movies or a way to watch them placed back into the films. These films were one of very few where they would include the deleted scenes when aired on TV and they're almost all great scenes! I believe that has since changed because all HD versions of these films are just the theatrical version. It's a little weird for me watching the theatrical versions because I actually know the TV versions of the films much better so I'll often anticipate a scene that never happens.

These movies would just bombard you with gags non stop. It could have been the dumbest movie and yet most of the gags work. More amazing that you probably miss a good chunk of them on the first viewing.

Still funny today. Leslie Nielsen was brilliant in his delivery.

Police Squad should have never been cancelled. It was ahead of its time.

Too bad David Zucker devolved into a right wing fuckwit and made An American Carol. Jim Abrahams was probably the real talent behind Naked Gun, he’s credited for writing Hot Shots as well.

Jim Abrahams, Pat Proft and the Zuckers were the 4 names I got excited to see in the credits.

And yeah sad to read about David Zucker.

FaintDeftone

I'll never forget the opening scene where OJ Simpson attempts to kick down the door and his leg goes through it. That gag has been done many times since, but back then I laughed so hard at that scene.

The funniest movie of all time for me. I've seen it so many times yet it still has me crying every single time. The shitty dummies during the baseball stadium sequence are hysterical:

nordberg.gif

Love that you can see the smoke on the chair from the air cannon. Wonder how many takes that took to get right.

I have watched Naked Gun more times than I can count...so why have I never watched Police Squad?! That end credits freeze frame is making me lose it.

"Who are you? How did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith and I'm a locksmith"

Yeah I can imagine it's hard to come up with new material. The 3rd Naked Gun seemed so uninspired compared to the first two.

Doesn't help that it also released around the same time as the OJ mess.

Not at all...and speaking of him again now, I am reminded of my favorite OJ scene.

Beginning of 33⅓, when all those baby carriages are going down the stairs. He stops them all, AND catches that one baby flying through the air.

Then he starts a touchdown dance. Right as he is about to spike the baby, the mother comes running out to grab it. I would love to see this gif'd. At least, the celebration dance & the baby grab, if not the whole thing.

Second favorite part would be when in 2½, near the end, when he pulls out the pistol, and then starts adding parts. A scope, then a stock, then a stabilizer, then a longer clip, on and on. Next thing you know, a giant freaking hole gets blown in a wall, and you see Nordberg raising the barrel to what looks like a freaking anti aircraft cannon. So good.

Not at all...and speaking of him again now, I am reminded of my favorite OJ scene.

Beginning of 33⅓, when all those baby carriages are going down the stairs. He stops them all, AND catches that one baby flying through the air.

Then he starts a touchdown dance. Right as he is about to spike the baby, the mother comes running out to grab it. I would love to see this gif'd. At least, the celebration dance & the baby grab, if not the whole thing.

Second favorite part would be when in 2½, near the end, when he pulls out the pistol, and then starts adding parts. A scope, then a stock, then a stabilizer, then a longer clip, on and on. Next thing you know, a giant freaking hole gets blown in a wall, and you see Nordberg raising the barrel to what looks like a freaking anti aircraft cannon. So good.

What's funny is that the scene during that with Frank and the bad guy firing it out is taken from the last episode of the tv show.

Travo

I loved the first two but never saw 33 and a Third.

I hear it's not that great.

Not AS good, but still a lot of fun. Thanks to the guy that posted the PS YouTube links. I'm honestly glad it got cancelled because I can see the quality taking a huge drop.

Dalek

Love that you can see the smoke on the chair from the air cannon. Wonder how many takes that took to get right.

"Who are you? How did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith and I'm a locksmith"

My favorite is in part when he's trying to install the bug on the bottom of the car and gets stuck-and then guy starts driving around with Nordberg trapped under the car.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI-ty9MfICM

Top Bottom