• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh god now I'm thinking about how many people will be pissed over
Aech
. It's gonna happen, I can feel it.

Gonna laugh my ass off regardless of what they do here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've never actually read the book and know almost nothing about it. Why do people hate it so much? Is it like, Twilight-level trash?

Its "hey remember that *insert nostalgic thing*?" the book and the author is nowhere near talented or creative enough to make that anything more than exactly what it sounds like. Its basically if someone made GAF threads about your favorite 80's IP and turned them into a book with about as much subtly and nuance as a jack hammer to the balls

KHarvey16

I've never actually read the book and know almost nothing about it. Why do people hate it so much? Is it like, Twilight-level trash?

It has a lot of very nerdy references and main-stream nostalgia as the main foundation of the story. It's fun, but unfortunately it had the audacity to also be popular.

Looks like "callback the movie". Hopefully the references aren't so in your face in the actual thing, I trust Spielberg. Visuals should be great at least.

Also Iron Giant is in this film? Wow, that's actually kinda awesome.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It has a lot of very nerdy references and main-stream nostalgia as the main foundation of the story. It's fun, but unfortunately it had the audacity to also be popular.

Popularity doesn't save it from being bad. Shit like 50 Shades of Gray is popular and does that make it good?

Iokis

didn't realise the hate for the book was this strong. I think it's a fun read if you just go with the concept and roll with the admittedly many, many references dropped along the way.

Now Armada was a goddamned terrible book.

Haly

Oh my goodness.

Anyway, I thought this was supposed to be 80s diarrhea? I see a Master Chief gun and the Iron Giant, so what gives?

I think they might be moving up the timeframe a bit in the film, judging from the trailer.

90s kids rejoice!!!

The book is about a culture that worships the past, specifically the 80s and 90s. The book is actually really critical about it, but I guess most people miss the blatantly obvious(Or simply haven't read the book).

Qasiel

Yep, I'm all in for this. Really liked the book (although it got a bit much towards the end) but with all the pop culture references, I can see this doing quite well.

Visuals looks spot on, too.

It gets a bit heavy handed with the references at times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's just name dropping for no reason. I personally had fun with the book but I did end up rolling my eyes a few times, mainly due to the name drops.

The book is about a culture that worships the past, specifically the 80s and 90s. The book is actually really critical about it, but I guess most people miss the blatantly obvious(Or simply haven't read the book).

What are you talking about? The book isn't critical of the nostalgia at all, it's the lead's pure nostalgia that allows him to win and triumph over the corporate researchers who have no love for the 80s and just want the prize.

KodaRuss

didn't realise the hate for the book was this strong. I think it's a fun read if you just go with the concept and roll with the admittedly many, many references dropped along the way.

Now Armada was a goddamned terrible book.

Yeah the best thing about Armada was the cover art. I really loathed that book. Loved Ready Player One though.

Aiii

So not worth it

Twilight, while badly written, is at least somewhat entertaining.

This is just nostalgia bait in the sense that it just references without much purpose. For instance, the mc's ingame mount is a DeLorean time machine with a ghostbuster logo on the side and K.I.T.T. Installed. This is mentioned in passing and is never once relevant to the story.

Imagine every page of the book filled with references like this so you can go ”oh yeah, I remember that! That was so cool! This book is so cool!"

Worst part is that it actually works and the book gets a goodreads score of 4.3/5... it is baffling as the story and prose are amongst the worst adult novels I have ever read.

Purkake4

Banned
That's the Iron Giant in 2018

Fuck all the hot takes
No it's a cameo of the Iron Giant in 2018 in an unrelated movie. What you're experiencing is that they want you to experience, in reality they ripped the Iron Giant of any context and put it in a thing for extra money, kind of like in the movie I guess.

Jackpot

Banned
Got serious Sucker Punch vibes from it.

suckerpunch_keyart.jpg

There's literally a part in the book where people throw down over random 80's trivia and the characters in the book think it's actually super cool.

"Yeah, but do you know about (80's thing)?" "Of course I do dawg, but I bet you didn't know about (80's thing)!"

OHHHHH SNAP Y'ALL

No it's a cameo of the Iron Giant in 2018 in an unrelated movie. What you're experiencing is that they want you to experience, in reality they ripped the Iron Giant of any context and put it in a thing for extra money, kind of like in the movie I guess.

I know

I expected nothing and got this so I'm happy

Not seeing the film all of a sudden

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the book goes overboard with pop culture references, but I do like the whole National Treasure thing the book does but with pop culture clues instead of american history clues.

JeTmAn81

There's literally a part in the book where people throw down over random 80's trivia and the characters in the book think it's actually super cool.

"Yeah, but do you know about (80's thing)?" "Of course I do dawg, but I bet you didn't know about (80's thing)!"

OHHHHH SNAP Y'ALL

Sup son. How popular was that NES Classic last year? As more people grow up entrenched in gaming culture, that nostalgia is only going to get nuttier.

FanDeNintendo

Neo Member
Deadpool/Deathstroke and Harley Quinn at the beginning too. It seems it will have no apparent issues using some characters or references. Well, it's Spielberg you know, who says no to that man?

Holy shit, I want a racing game just like the one showed at the end: pilots from different worlds, crazy maps, etc. I want to drive dat Akira bike!

Movie looks fun, will sure watch it.

Haly

They're saying Iron Giant isn't a cameo for what it's worth

Someone earlier speculated they're replacing the JP mecha references with more US oriented ones and I think that's what's going to happen.

Sup son. How popular was that NES Classic last year? As more people grow up entrenched in gaming culture, that nostalgia is only going to get nuttier.

Hey, I love nostalgia. No problem with it.

But it's like Family Guy... just throwing a reference out there doesn't make for good writing, but just being "in on the joke" is enough to make some stuff popular. I'm not a fan.

There's a ton of nostalgia in Stranger Things, but it's not the main reason people like it.

Top Bottom