• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it fair to doubt Colin Trevorrow at this point?

jtb

Banned
What? He's a manchild with huge woman issues (not that the two are unrelated). Safety Not Guaranteed is one of the most insufferable films I've ever seen. We're way past the doubt stage.

He's got studio hack written all over him.

theBmZ

I wish they would have gotten somebody else. Jurassic World was mediocre at best. If Rian Johnson is really shaking things up in The Last Jedi, that would be great. But after Jurassic World, I'm worried Trevorrow is going to play it safe in episode IX

Could be in much better hands, too. Trevorrow seems to have some...weird issues with women. I don't know if he's the right choice to close out Rey's trilogy.

Luke will constantly remind Rey to give up fighting and start a family, and raise a child.

Wo6rejR.png

Oh fuck, the above now has me thinking "fuck this guy", though I'd like more context and clarification on what he said, exactly.

I tend to agree with a lot of the sentiments being shared here. I just thought that maybe, just maybe, we were being too hasty. But judging from the reactions to Book of Henry, I guess not. Sheesh.

I would be very curious to get the actual quote and context of whatever has started this whole problem with women thing. Right now I'm not sure why there is so much animosity toward him.

Making subpar films isn't an excuse.

matt360

I have my doubts, but I think the movie will turn out ok. Despite Rian Johnson claiming to have had creative freedom on TLJ, I think we all now know that the only reason he enjoyed said freedom is because he didn't stray too far from what LFL had in mind, or deemed bankable or agreeable.

It's like that line from President Billy Bob to PM Hugh Grant in Love Actually. "I'll give you anything you want, as long as it's not something I don't want to give." Or something like that.

Basically, there's no way Kennedy is going to let a shit film go to print. It might not be as good as we all hope it will be, but it'll be fine.

DavidDesu

Jurassic World was abolsutely forgettable to me. Completely meh. I was gutted when I found out he was pegged to direct 9. I don't think I'm as hyped about Rian Johnson as most others are. I am hyped about him doing 8 but the stuff of his I've seen I quite liked but don't rate as highly as many of you. Treverrow... just seemed entirely down to JW being a box office success and then he got the gig, even though the movie itself was pretty bland.

I'm worried about 9, but we do still have to wait and see how good 8 is first. Everyone is hoping lightning strikes twice and we get another Empire level upping of the ante... I hope so. I just don't want a relatively boring film to round off the trilogy like we had with 6 (hey I love it and love the ending but god it drags for the first half).

I would be very curious to get the actual quote and context of whatever has started this whole problem with women thing. Right now I'm not sure why there is so much animosity toward him.

His short film Home Base is grossly sexist. It's on YouTube if you want to watch it. Or you could just read the two sentence synopsis on Wiki. (yes, it's supposed to be hilarious that the protagonist uses this woman's mother sexually to get revenge)

He also believes that the true reason women don't get many blockbuster directing roles is because women lack the desire.

I've written plenty on why Jurassic World is thoroughly sexist. A recent post of mine on the matter.

And though I haven't seen Book of Henry, the one trailer I did see gave me a helluva pause after everything else I've seen from Trevorrow. Given than the main protagonist relies on "the man in her life" (her child son Henry) for everything, including depending on him making choices for her like whether or not she should do direct deposit since she just doesn't know what's best for herself as an adult person. Another character in the trailer also makes some remark along the lines of her needing an actual man in her life.

That twitter block was a real blow. He was one of my favorite reasons to even have a twitter account. He really didn't like me dogging on Trevorrow the way I did.

I'm sorry. :(

It's not like we have to reach deep into this man's feelings. His, let's say, very traditional views on women are readily apparent in Jurassic World and even the trailers for the Book of Henry. (I haven't seen Safety Not Guaranteed.) I'm not convinced you even need to dive into subtext here, it's all fairly obvious.

That said, I'm not especially worried about Star Wars suffering from his retrograde perspectives. I can't honestly see that getting a pass from his bosses. His general poor directing (particularly tone problems and his apparent complete lack of understanding other human beings) is going to be the real issue.

Top Bottom