• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which super team movie will have the higher B.O numbers?

kswiston

Yah I just read it. But at what point is the floor profitable enough for these ensemble films?

With this movie costing rumored $500M dollars, is 1.4B even profitable considering Disney thought AoU was a failure?

Disney didn't think that AoU was a failure. Some people on GAF =/= Disney

Foreign currencies tanked about 6 months before AoU came out. It would have ended up about on par with the first Avengers had exchange rates remained at their previous levels, with overseas making up for the domestic drop. Age of Ultron was still the second (now third) biggest Disney film of all time worldwide. It was also the second biggest Disney film of all time domestically for a bit, but Disney has since had a pretty stellar run of films.

As for the Infinity War production budget being $500M, that's bullshit. Perhaps with marketing.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
BP is gonna be a great lead in for IW the way WW will be for JL.

Can we be sure about black panther? I realize people want it to succeed because of the diversity thing, but it doesn't automatically make it a good movie and we won't truly know until it gets praise like WW or close

duckroll

I think Infinity War will end up closer to Age of Ultron. Civil War was still carrying the Captain America title, was missing some popular Avengers, was coming a year after a somewhat disappointing Avengers sequel, and was more treading water in the MCU (which was part of the problem with Age of Ultron as well). Infinity War avoids some of those, and is delivering on something that has been building for 6 years.

EDIT: Of course, this assumes the film is good.

So about 1.3b ww? 500/800? Seems pretty reasonable.

Can we be sure about black panther? I realize people want it to succeed because of the diversity thing, but it doesn't automatically make it a good movie and we won't truly know until it gets praise like WW or close

Yes, we can be sure about Black Panther.

Are you doubting it because you believe the only reason anyone wants it to succeed is the diversity thing

I mean, you can't be sure of anything until the cards are all on the table, but it does seem like Black Panther's development has been far less troubled than most other recent superhero films. That's a pretty good sign.

Let's say JL earns 1.1B and IW earns 1.4B, but WB claims JL is a success whereas Disney considers IW is a failure. In this case does it matter if IW even outgrossed JL?

Neither movie is out yet and you've already moved the goalposts to "but JL will be considered more successful even though it made $300m less." And you're already trying to spin a $1.4b movie as a failure.

So yeah, this isn't a trend. It's a narrative.

kswiston

Mendelsson is citing an editorial by fuckin' Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool there.

And even if you wanna give Johnston secondhand credit for being a box-office analyst (and you don't) the headline of Mendelsson's article asks about disappointment, not failure.

Nothing that Marvel's done has even approached the level of failure.

2015 was also a fluke in terms of top end box office, which convinced some people that $1.4B wasn't a very big achievement, despite it being good for #7 of all time after TFA passed Age of Ultron.

Two years later, we're (probably) looking at one additional film hitting that mark by the end of 2017.

IW will gross more no doubt but I don't think it gets much more than the OG Avengers if it even manages to beat that. People will turn up in droves for the opening weekend but unless the film is insanely good and has great rewatch value I don't see it taking off much more than A1. There just isn't many more people who want to see IW that haven't seen any other Avengers movies I'm guessing.

The reception to the DCEU tells me though that people want strong female characters and also something different, regardless of the quality not always being there. That being said even if JL turns out to be DC's Avengers moment it won't get to have its legs since TLJ will wreck shit the next month.

Neither movie is out yet and you've already moved the goalposts to "but JL will be considered more successful even though it made $300m less." And you're already trying to spin a $1.4b movie as a failure.

So yeah, this isn't a trend. It's a narrative.

ok you win I lose, I was purposefully pushing some bs fanboy narrative rather than just asking questions.

The sheer amount of pedigree and talent involved make it as close as you can to a sure thing. Well quality wise. Whether or not it's a box office hit remains to be seen but no MCU movie was been a "failure" and I don't see why BP will be one.

ok you win I lose, I was purposefully pushing some bs fanboy narrative rather than just asking questions.

No wait, you haven't even gotten to the part yet where you say that Justice League has already earned a profit because of product placement deals.

Sorry I'll stop.

3N16MA

Banned

You think the only reason people want Black Panther to succeed is because of diversity?

One thing I'll give Justice League vs Infinity War, is that the gap in the domestic gross will relatively smaller than the international, with Infinity War ahead.

I don't see any of the next 3 Marvel films being bad / poor. Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War all look varying degrees of awesome from their trailers and there is tons of proven talent involved in all 3 of them. It would be a shock to see any of those in particular suddenly turn into a dud

Seesaw15

Its a coin toss. If Synder learned his lesson from MOS/BVS and left Whedon with a good movie to polish then I think JL could do better than IW. At the end of the day more people like Batman/Womder Woman and Superman than most of the MCU heroes (on paper).

It's DC's battle to lose. They have all there famous legacy characters while the MCU has been doing well building up there no names.

Here's the only scenario I see IW making more than JL. Both Thor and Black Panther have to great and JL has to be a complete train wreck( which I don't think it will.)

Raziel

I think Civil War vs BVS showed that given the same creatively bankrupt premise/plot, Russos + Marvel puts more asses in the seats than Snyder + DC.

Its a coin toss

latest

JL will probably be the highest grossing DCEU film, but it won't top Infinity War. There's far too much baggage and Wonder Woman isn't going to singlehandedly wipe that out. Even if it could, if opening weekend comes and it's shit again, you're just going to see another massive opening with legs collapsing before the weekend even ends, just like BvS. And people are overselling the hype of the "first DCEU team-up". It's not. That already happened. They got Bats, Supes, and Wondy on screen together like 18 months ago and blew it, hard. Throwing in Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg is going to be way less of a splash than "Guardians of the Galaxy meet the Avengers" anyway.

Neither of them are coming close to TFA though. Anyone thinking that shit is maximum crazy.

Seems like everything goes up except for Avengers. So could the ceiling be going down? Absolutely. But the floor is also going up.

While Age of Ultron declined pretty significantly in the US, worldwide it was up. The only reason Ultron grossed less was because of a much stronger US dollar, so the local the international gains got wiped out by unfavorable currency conversions.

Edit: Ooops, scrolled right past Kswis.

Its a coin toss. If Synder learned his lesson from MOS/BVS and left Whedon with a good movie to polish then I think JL could do better than IW. At the end of the day more people like Batman/Womder Woman and Superman than most of the MCU heroes (on paper).

It's DC's battle to lose. They have all there famous legacy characters while the MCU has been doing well building up there no names.

Here's the only scenario I see IW making more than JL. Both Thor and Black Panther have to great and JL has to be a complete train wreck( which I don't think it will.)

Most people really don't care about comic books.

They do care about the decades of work and billions of dollars that have gone into the lead-in to Infinity War, though. It's going to make it a mandatory cultural event, in the same way that Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was back in its own day and time. And, like the Phantom Menace, it will have an absolutely absurd box office gross relative to its quality when compared to other films in the series.

Seriously, we're talking about an event here, more than a movie. Much like Deathly Hallows 2 topped the other Harry Potter movies despite not really being the best of the bunch, and the Phantom Menace put all of our dumb asses in seats despite being certified damp ass, Infinity War is going to be the beneficiary of an absolutely absurd audience even if it's total trash.

kswiston

Most of Deathly Hallows Part 2's bump over the previous Potter films was courtesy of 3D surcharges. It would have increased as a regular 2D film, but not by the level we saw. This was also the case with Iron Man 3's domestic gross (though the overseas gross was way up).

error4041

I actually really curious how Thor and Justice League will fare so close together. Justice League will obviously make more money, but if the marketing and word of mouth for Thor is there, and isn't there for Justice league, I think the gap between the two movies will be a lot closer than expected 5 years ago.

I think if Justice League wanted to go for broke, they'd have to drop this weird marketing gimmick of theirs and start putting Superman in the ads instead of pretending his appearance is a big fat mystery you have to go to the movie to get solved for you.

Civil War did this with Spidey to an extent.

wachie

I don't think Disney really cares to comment on every article supported by nothing more than speculation. Were they supposed to release a statement stating that AoU was not a failure?
I'm still waiting for Disney to respond to my posts on AoU.

Justice League has a good shot at 1 billion but nowhere comparable to Infinity War.

I expect IW to be the best opening week debut for Super Hero movie but with average legs. 500 millions sounds possible with 1 billion worldwide.

Essentially the same as Avengers 1 with 1.5 billion worldwide.

3N16MA

Banned
I think if Justice League wanted to go for broke, they'd have to drop this weird marketing gimmick of theirs and start putting Superman in the ads instead of pretending his appearance is a big fat mystery you have to go to the movie to get solved for you.

WB is really going to surprise the 10 people who didn't watch BvS prior to JL.

WB is really going to surprise the 10 people who didn't watch BvS prior to JL.

You look at that Justice League thread and a lot of the DCEU's fans are dead set on working themselves into a place where it not being Clark is a real possibility.

Like, trying to eye-measure calf sizes & shit.

You look at that Justice League thread and a lot of the DCEU's fans are dead set on working themselves into a place where it not being Clark is a real possibility.

It's just an excuse to stare longingly at Supes' calves. Don't let it bother you.

Justice League is going to have some momentum thanks to WW but I can't believe this forum is building up yet another Synder DC movie again. If Justice League is good I'll gladly eat crow but come on. It doesn't matter how vanilla Thor, Black Panther and Infinity War turn out, if they're all just decent JL is getting blown out the water.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad move. In all honesty, as a fan of the DCEU, I know a lot of people really don't dig this depiction of Superman so far so maybe a little bit of the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is in store.

Supes is definitely the one showing up at the end, but I'm not so sure about the hologram. The caps flickers at one point and where the boot ends looks a lot more skin toned than whatever weird shade of blue it could possibly be. Supergirl would be a neat tease if only since the League is such a sausage fest right now.

Top Bottom