• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

I was all aboard the Vita train up until release day when I didn't have any extra cash for it. But a couple of months later, I feel like I made the right choice by not buying it since there aren't many games that interest me at the moment.

I guess what I want to know is, how is everyone enjoying it now?
I bought three games at launch (Uncharted, Lumines, Wipeout) + SSDD. I played the shit out of all of them for the first few weeks. Then Motorstorm RC came out and I played the hell out of that for a few weeks. I haven't really touched the system since, but recently with MK out I've been playing a lot again.

I'll probably get bored of MK in a couple of weeks, which should be right around when Resistance comes out, and then from there we have Gravity Daze and MGS HD collection. So I'm pretty set for the near future in terms of stuff to keep me occupied.

Forgot to mention all of my PSP games. Granted I could play them without the Vita, but it's nice having them augment the library. I usually switch between P3P, MGSPW, and Ys Felghana.

This is how I am with SSD. Can't decide what to play, so I end up playing round after round of endless. Need to beat 9 million now ^^;

I do want to pick up Lumines at some point, but 40 seems pretty steep when SSD can scratch the high-score itch for a fraction of the price.
IIRC Sony stores are dropping the price of Lumines (among other titles) to $20. Link

theBishop

Banned
Yeah I only got Lumines because of a B2G1 deal, but I have put quite a bit of time into it. Beating voyage mode was very satisfying. I haven't really gotten much into stopwatch mode yet for some reason.

I mostly play lumines while I ride an exercise bike though. I forget what I'm doing until I'm like an hour and 10 minutes into voyage and I realize I'm drenched in sweat haha.

The thing I like about Stopwatch mode is the score actually means something. It's ridiculous to go for a high score in Voyage because it can take 90 minutes to get through the whole tracklist. No human being can play intensely for that long. I usually play 60 or 180 second stopwatch mode and try to get in the top 10 for the day. The only bummer is it's the same generic tune over and over.

Alchemy

The thing I like about Stopwatch mode is the score actually means something. It's ridiculous to go for a high score in Voyage because it can take 90 minutes to get through the whole tracklist. No human being can play intensely for that long. I usually play 60 or 180 second stopwatch mode and try to get in the top 10 for the day. The only bummer is it's the same generic tune over and over.

I've played Voyage for HOURS straight. It is super easy to melt away in that game. About the only thing I regret is not buying the digital version of Lumines because I don't want to swap the cart out all the time but I still want to have access to it. Assuming you don't buy every single iteration of Lumines (I've only got the first PSP game, the Steam one, and the Vita one) it is completely worth it to pay full price for Lumines.

So good.

theBishop

Banned
I've played Voyage for HOURS straight. It is super easy to melt away in that game. About the only thing I regret is not buying the digital version of Lumines because I don't want to swap the cart out all the time but I still want to have access to it. Assuming you don't buy every single iteration of Lumines (I've only got the first PSP game, the Steam one, and the Vita one) it is completely worth it to pay full price for Lumines.

So good.

Oh yeah, I believe you can get sucked in and play it for that long. But I don't believe you can maintain the kind of high-speed intensity necessary in stopwatch for the length of a voyage.

hitmon

Is that the one that limits your plays per day? I liked it too until I realized I couldn't play it as much as I want..

Are you referring to the game that seems like bejeweled, it allows you to play some more after a couple of hours. At least from my experience.

Koroviev

IIRC Sony stores are dropping the price of Lumines (among other titles) to $20. Link
That would be great if there was a Sony store within 60 miles. To be honest, I didn't even realize there were Sony retail outlets. If that is the price in their store, then why isn't it the digital price?

Raonak

Banned
That music unlimited thing is pretty neat. Especially since you can now "cache" songs for offline play. that was my biggest complaint about the service before. great way to expand my musical horizons.

vita app is really nice; but theres some minor problems.
but for some reason it seems to end some songs prematurely. and sometimes looses connection.

mangaroo

Banned
I play wipeout a ton, there's a weekly speed lap challenge over at wz which is super addictive, managed to get my first top10 after playing with those guys this week. My friend and I also have an ongoing competition for sol which is an awesome track, especially visually.

I imagine when I get a bit tired of wipeout, I'll go back to Lumines. Don't usually care much for trophies but have to say I was disappointed when some of the medals were only silver, unlocking zone 5 was intense! Actually zone 3 was the one that gave me trouble. Anyway, great puzzle game that you can easily sink hours into due to not only addictive gameplay but also the music and visuals of the different skins which change (and interact) as you play are totally hypnotic.

Other than that, the main games I enjoy out of the bunch I picked up are Super Stardust, but I just can't do the rock smashing over and over, takes too long for my liking but great when you do decide to play. Just like Rayman - I don't feel like platforming all the time but when I do decide to run it, it never disappoints.

I want to like motorstorm rc, and it is a great little game but it just makes me sour that there isn't a proper motorstorm title out for the vita, arctic edge is alright. Also I can never find a camera angle I am comfortable with. But if you are into those RC racing games, it's pretty unbeatable.

Touch my Katamari I can also recommend when you are not sober.

On the topic of Sony being slow about PSP releases in US, I feel for you. Why can't they just put these titles up, we want to give you money. Really hope they pump out a hell of a lot more PSone classics for when the compatibility is finally released.

@Quick [profile pic at the top of the page] when was Abed blond? Did he time travel from the 80s?

tborsje

Is there any way to change PSN regions without loosing all your themes and system settings? I have some EU\AUS games but want to buy some PSP games from the US PSN, and having to format and loose my theme every time I change is super annoying.

GopherD

Been rocking Kid Icarus on the 3DS but man I wish Nintendo would go harder on their hardware. Between it and the Vita, I keep getting pulled back to higher resolution goodness.

I've picked up 9 Vita retail games so far, had a backlog of 12 PSP games and 4 PSN games. I'm not anywhere near getting through some of them. No drought here....

Played Everybody's Tennis for the first time today and it looks like another game's got its hooks on me. Damn Clap Hanz games are addictive.

Dimorphic

Resistance will engage me with my Vita once more. I don't rely on it as my main gaming device so the lack of games has only been annoying at most for me.

But if Sony doesn't push the Vita hard at E3 I fear it'll be dead by the years end.

Chesskid1

Banned
not much longer wait for PS vita early adopters.

resistance, gravity rush, metal gear solid HD collection, and silent hill all within 2 weeks of each other. boo ya.

gonna get 3/4 i think. maybe 1/2, might wait for resistance reviews. not a bad lineup.

gonna pick up TiTs soon i think. bought ogre, never really liked SRPGs and this pretty much confirms it, after forcing myself to play it a few hours. o well.

Resistance looks Janky. Apparently it only has 6 levels too.

Demos need to be released for all of those games. I'll only be getting Gravity Rush and MGS HD at the moment.

No no no.

New stuff man. Sony need to bring us new stuff.

The fact that we are considering playing PS1 and PSP games on Vita is testament to just how shitty the post launch support has been so far.

No no no.

The fact that we are considering playing PS1 and PSP games on Vita is testament to just how shitty the post launch support has been so far.

personally, i guess i consider any good older game i've never gotten around to playing as 'new', to the extent it's 'new' to me. which's why i have no problem with having lots of ps1/psp stuff available to choose from. ymmv...

Sintoid

No no no.

I agree but I think that the right time is E3. I play with Vita enough (2-3 hrs a day), I bought it on day one and until now I completed Uncharted, Motorstorm RC, Escape Plan and I'm in the middle of Wipeout. I've got a good backlog of games bought like Blob, Stardust, Hustle King and Stardrone not to mention Unit 13 and Army Corpse of Hell.
I still need to buy Rayman and Mortal Kombat and in the end of May we'll have a quite promising Resistance Retribution and in June Gravity Daze... I feel quite Ok for a while but now I need to see that Sony and TP are making what Vita needs from 2012's third quarter and on...

And obviously I need a LBP Vita date....

Launch support was great.

The problem is the post-launch support. Only a few games, after launch, and most of them has been ports or mediocre games.

Let's wait for the new games, like Gravity Rush, and the E3 announcements.

I was all aboard the Vita train up until release day when I didn't have any extra cash for it. But a couple of months later, I feel like I made the right choice by not buying it since there aren't many games that interest me at the moment.

I consider it best spent money on new gaming hardware ever since 3dfx Voodoo and Radeon 9700 ;)

I only wish I had some more cash so i'd be able to buy Unit 13, Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden, VT4, BB, MK , Disgaea 3 and SFxT ;)
And more time to finish all those PSP games i haven't played yet that are now in PSN shop for 10 euros.

edit: also waiting for Gravity Daze/Persona 4/Ragnarok

newsguy

This is the only handheld that's kept me gaming since the GBA. I've owned the DS and 3DS, but neither made me want to play. I guess the fact that I'm playing my Show franchise on the go has alot to do with it. Unit 13 has also been a timesink. The fact that it has the dynamic missions after you've beaten the regular stage gives it long legs. For sports games this is the first HH I can honestly say is worth every cent.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This is the only handheld that's kept me gaming since the GBA. I've owned the DS and 3DS, but neither made me want to play. I guess the fact that I'm playing my Show franchise on the go has alot to do with it. Unit 13 has also been a timesink. The fact that it has the dynamic missions after you've beaten the regular stage gives it long legs. For sports games this is the first HH I can honestly say is worth every cent.

Unit 13 is pretty good - definitely feel the need for a straight terrorist hunt Rainbow 6 though.

dc89

Liking mine a lot!

Play Everybody's Golf everyday because of the Daily Tournaments. Also have Rayman Origins which I got the other week. Super Stardust is my quick fix, actually completed Arcade Mode this morning in one sitting and got quite a few trophy's.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I really love my Vita. Honestly this summer is looking pretty decent, playing Disgaea a lot right now and will pick up MK this week, looking forward to seeing how Resistance shapes out, will day 1 buy Gravity Rush, hopefully Ragnarok gets localized sooner rather than later for the summer.

All in all it's a pretty decent summer, at least for me anyway and especially more so when compared my 3DS which is collecting dust and will be doing so for a while :/. Obviously hoping for some more stuff from E3, new announcements obviously, but would also like some actual release dates for stuff like LBP as well.

-Amon-

I've yet to finish Wipeout. Everybody's golf had been my main for the last month but now it's replaced bt motorstorm RC.

That little chess games rocks quite a lot too.

As a plus i've got Valkyria 2 and tactics ogre too.

And my wife is always stealing the machine from me to play stardust lol.

It' going great i'd say.

ksimm

I finally got Virtua Tennis 4 the other day and have to say it really is a great game. People were right about the graphics, they really are crisp, detailed and fast.

I love how you can import your face onto the player, it actually works really well and looks quite freaky, well it's my face so... What I really like though is the amount of content, and the way they did the board game style campaign trying to land on the right tiles to boost your skills / fans and managing relaxation.

Another game to pass the time waiting for Gravity Daze.

RpgN

It has become my main console/handheld since I got it about about a month ago (?), I'm playing with it everyday and spend a couple of hours on it. In that time I've completed Welcome Park (with trophies, fun little game this turned out to be!), Uncharted twice (harder difficulty modes), played tons of demos, played a bit of Super Stardust Delta (want to play more of this) and currently focusing on Everybody's Golf and Little Deviants. Also I play that free puzzle game everyday for a couple of minutes. Games like Mutant Blobs Attack, Esape Plan and Frobisher says! I didn't get the time to try yet. I want to get WipEout, Virtua Tennis 4 and Shinobido 2 based on the demos.

Then once I'm through all of those games, I can consider Unit-13, Motorstorm, Disgaea 3 and some more stuff.

Future games I'm looking forward to get are Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Ragnarok Odyssey and Lord of Apocalypse providing they make their way to EU. Other games in the distant future would be Persona 4, FFX, Legend of Heroes and Ys IV. I'm considering Resistance as well though I'm not sure about it.

Honestly it feels like I don't have enough time in a day to play more on this thing. For someone who has a pretty varied taste (though RPG's will always be main), there is more than enough choice with the available games. There haven't been many game announcements and that's a reason to get worried, but I'm too busy having fun to get worried for the time being. Once I'm out of games and don't have anything to look forward to, then I'll start worrying.

So yeah, I'm enjoying mine a lot thanks to the games and the hardware along with its apps like Near and Twitter.

DCharlie said:
Unit 13 is pretty good - definitely feel the need for a straight terrorist hunt Rainbow 6 though.

Is it true the game is glitchy as hell? And not sure if the game has received a couple of patches to fix it?

I have a bit of early buyers remorse at this stage. I didn't think I would.

I love Uncharted as a franchise, but I find GA quite boring. I also love shooters but Unit 13 doesn't look too appealing to me, Resistance looks quite crap, Killzone is a ways off, I detest COD.

I really need a new meaty RPG. Desperate for one.

Maybe its a change in my circumstances (career) that has tired me out on things, I already stepped away from PS3 gaming a bit. Maybe my gaming time is drawing to an end. I just don't feel compelled with things that much any more. I was hoping Vita would sort that out for me.

I really hope E3 and GamesCom breathe some new life into my hobby. This feels so bizarre. I've been gaming since I was 4.

Anyone else felt like this at any point of any console cycle?

Part of the problem, I feel, is more games having online dependent trophies. I'm a completionist at heart, but I do get put off games that make me play online to get my 100%.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have a bit of early buyers remorse at this stage. I didn't think I would.

I love Uncharted as a franchise, but I find GA quite boring. I also love shooters but Unit 13 doesn't look too appealing to me, Resistance looks quite crap, Killzone is a ways off, I detest COD.

I really need a new meaty RPG. Desperate for one.

Maybe its a change in my circumstances (career) that has tired me out on things, I already stepped away from PS3 gaming a bit. Maybe my gaming time is drawing to an end. I just don't feel compelled with things that much any more. I was hoping Vita would sort that out for me.

I really hope E3 and GamesCom breathe some new life into my hobby. This feels so bizarre. I've been gaming since I was 4.

Anyone else felt like this at any point of any console cycle?

Part of the problem, I feel, is more games having online dependent trophies. I'm a completionist at heart, but I do get put off games that make me play online to get my 100%.
Seems like you only like big name titles? That definitely won't work with this system.

Seems like you only like big name titles? That definitely won't work with this system.

Not at all. I like weird little titles too and games that take a new spin on things (hence why I cannot wait for Gravity Rush). Gaming in general has been going down a path in recent years that has made me lose a bit of interest. I'm not amazed anymore.

Very little of what comes out seems fresh. I'm a single player gamer at heart (with a few exceptions) and I haven't came across a single player campaign in recent years that makes me want to sit there and not move for days. The last exclusive to actually do that to me on a PlayStation system was FFXII. Last generation.

What I want for Vita is something I can easily lose 80-100 hours of my life in. A nice little action RPG that'll take me ages to complete and discover what is inside every cave and castle.

All the hearts fill up in about an hour or less.

One heart every five minutes. Still playing this too, though after winning for five weeks in a row, now I'm getting some stiff competition on my friend's list. Crystals are getting scarce too, have to grind for them.

Still loving my Vita as well. Tonne of stuff to enjoy, though currently my time goes up in programming PS Suite. When that goes public, could be very cool, to have the same kind of crazy independent games, but now with these great analogue sticks as well as everything else.

Meanwhile still playing stuff like Rayman, Blob (both of which my 3yo son likes, but he's still a bit daunted), still have to complete Uncharted too, finished WipeOut mostly (but only the offline, and had to skip one race), and I haven't barely even touched Virtua Tennis.

Things I miss most is a DNLA client features like the PS3 has, and youtube (though that youtube javascript hack is nice of course). And I'm looking forward to LBP.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Is it true the game is glitchy as hell? And not sure if the game has received a couple of patches to fix it?

It got a bit better after the patches - the annoying sound drop glitch went away, but the one that keeps cropping up every now and then is when a door appears shut to one player in online coop. So you can't even start certain levels.

I'm playing with the wife so we can both see it happen - that's pretty annoying

SLV

Hey guys, i am thinking of buying a Vita soonish, and i have got some questions i hope that you guys can answer me.

Basically, is it worth getting a 3G Vita ? And i am thinking this about the near working correctly.
Now i have multiple scenarios here, i want for the near and stuff work correctly wherever i am, this means i will either:

A.) Get a second simcard for Vita, as they probably wont make a duplicate of the same card i use in my phone ,if i ask them for a device that only has 3g access and no calling.
(In my country 3g Vita's are sold without a sub, you just buy it and stick any operators card you wish, all operators cost 2gb a month for 10 $, goes up to H+ in speed.)

B.) Will i get the same affect if i use my SGS 2, with the 3G vita, as a portable hotspot, without a sim card in the Vita ? Will the GPS with "wifi" work correctly with near, wherever i am located, Unlike with a wifi only vita without adding my IP and router in that skyhook or whatever it was application ?

I hope you can understand what i am talking about, i just want for all the awesome features to work as they should.

VanWinkle

I just remembered last night that I had the PSP LBP from the PSNPhail promo. It looks and plays pretty nicely on Vita. Noticeable aliasing, but it should be good enough to tide you over.

I played a little bit of LBP PSP on my Vita and I just didn't enjoy it at all, even though I love the LBP games on PS3. It may just be the kind of archaic graphics and the LBP1-style mechanics. I'm sure if I had played it right around the time of LBP1 I would have liked it more.

LBP Vita has me extremely excited though. With the ability to make your own smartphone-esque games (along with so much more), it could have enormous potential. It's like LBP was just made for Vita.

jonno394

I hope everyone on here has bought Motorstorm RC. Just got it today, for under £5 this is a ridiculously good bargain.

Already got 5 games on my Vita, the same amount as I had on my 3DS before I sold it, with a few more I really want!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope everyone on here has bought Motorstorm RC. Just got it today, for under £5 this is a ridiculously good bargain.

Already got 5 games on my Vita, the same amount as I had on my 3DS before I sold it, with a few more I really want!

Yeah it's an absolute steal for people in the US too. Well worth every penny I paid for the game :p.

While the game itself was free I couldn't help myself and bought the DLC expansion packs. They got me!

Koroviev

While I'm definitely not using my 3DS as much anymore (the Vita is basically my portable media center), I can't sell it. I need Fire Emblem. And Atlus exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom