• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

dreamfall

Definitely want to get one eventually! Really looking forward to impressions, though I also wish they changed the hard plastic on the Left and Right bumpers.

GavinGT

Banned
considering the ds4 is a vastly superior controller than both the Xbox one and 360, they don't have to do much. I'm curious how good this elite controller will be. I'm still unsure about it.

There are like a dozen things I can't stand about the DS4.

Justinh

Wonder what the chances of finding one in retail stores tomorrow will be like in the US. Tempted to check best buy and / or a MS store in the morning and see if I could pick one up.

I'd definitely call around. Gamestop's webzone is taking orders again, but who knows when it'd actually ship.
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-elite-wireless-controller/122872

I wonder if they messed up with the listing or something, because the picture has the stand too. Maybe it'll be a bundle?
Call Wal-Mart too. They have a listing on their website, but the typical 31 Dec date. Maybe they'll have in stores and maybe people hunting for one wouldn't think to look there.

Victrix

*beard*
I keep fluctuating between wanting to buy this and wanting to keep money to buy games. It looks so nice though

I'm waiting for impressions from scuf users. I love my new ps4 scuf, but I also love the base xbone controller, so I'm wondering where it sits on that spectrum - gotta find someone who's used both to ask em :D

rje

UPS delivered mine a little while ago - quick notes:

First thing I noticed is that the packaging is really nice - if you're getting one make sure to grab the usb cable out of the little black slip in the bottom of the box. The carrying case is great, I'm not sure why they didn't pack the usb cable in there.

Controller feels great in the hand - really like the weight and the textured grips.

Did a quick test of mashing all the buttons and sticks to see if I could get any of them to dislodge, doesn't seem to be a problem. Despite how easy it is to swap the sticks they stay on tight. If you really flick one of the paddle buttons hard backwards I could see it dislodging, but the odds of that happening in gameplay seem pretty much nil. (I could see it happening if you're not thinking when you pick up the controller, but that's a pretty minor issue)

Trigger stop option is nice, I didn't realize it was only on/off. For some reason I had in my mind it was going to let me pick from a range. Anyways, works as expected. It is a bit nosier to hit the trigger when the stop is active.

Tough to say much about the d-pad without firing up a game - might fire up street fighter on pc and give it a spin.

The grip buttons feel great and aren't flimsy at all. I've never had a controller with them so it feels like it'll take a bit of adjustment to get used to them? I adapted to the single button on the steam controller pretty quickly, but this will require a bit more effort. On the PC side of things I'm super excited to have them for VR demos and stuff, I think they'll be easier for people to find who may not have controller muscle memory.

Going to dig in and play some stuff now, will update if I think of anything else worth saying .

Edit:
Plugged it into a PC to see what the default state is like, the paddles are mapped to ABXY by default (top row AB, bottom row XY).

The trigger stops don't adjust the values coming out of the triggers at all, instead of a 0.0->1.0 range I'm seeing 0.0->0.7 on the left stick and 0.0->0.68 on the right stick. Shouldn't be a problem for most games but might mess up anything that looks for a full press?

Soda Mixer

Neo Member
Looks so good. I gave up my Amazon preorder last week in favor of the elite console bundle, which I traded my day one console towards. Not having this thing or Halo 5 for the next week is gonna be rough.

Scuf was, literally, game changing for me. This is the first mass market release of a similar product, it's a big deal imo.

The paddles are strong for fps play, among other things.

I'm really happy Microsoft stepped up and made an official controller with back paddles. Now I wish Sony would do the same. I'm really liking my scuf4ps now that I'm use to shooting with the bumpers.

Vooduu

To the OP and OT.

giphy.gif

......meanwhile

xq67rO7.gif

GavinGT

Banned
I'm starting to doubt that I can hold that controller and not accidentally press the paddles. I rely on having my middle fingers pressed against those spots to stabilize my grip.

Bionic

I'm starting to doubt that I can hold that controller and not accidentally press the paddles. I rely on having my middle fingers pressed against those spots to stabilize my grip.

Same deal here. I'm just using the bottom two paddles currently.

For what its worth I ordered one from gamestop.com late last week (wed/thu) and it shipped out today, won't arrive till later in the week though. I couldn't order in store late last week at the one near me.

Amazon and best buy both don't allow you to add it to cart, currently.

Amazon must be sending this to me using a Drone or something if they haven't shipped it yet, but still expect to hand it to me before 8PM tomorrow.

EDIT: literally after I sent this I got a email saying my order has been shipped, lol.

Naite

When I first plugged in my controller to my windows 7 pc, it was giving me driver issues, so I had to set it to xbox one controller manually.

After that the first thing I did was start up Guilty Gear XXAC+R and test fighting game motions with the circle pad.

I'm really enjoying this so far. I had one of the early xb1 pads with the stiffer bumpers so these ones are a big improvement for me. Combine that with the hair trigger really helps with fighting games that need simultaneous button presses.

The circle pad I still need more testing with but for simple stuff like quarter circles I had no trouble, but for more complex motions like HCB,F I would have trouble getting out consistently. I think it was the way I was holding my thumb and how little I've used circle-style d-pads. When I loosened my thumb and hit the edges of the pad I was hitting everything perfectly.

Another thing with the circle pad is that if you push hard enough, you can feel the pad tilt from it's magnetic holding. It won't fall out, but it could possibly mess with your inputs.

I also tried out the old style d-pad. Even though it's exactly the same shape, I felt it was more accurate in doing motions than the the normal xb1 pad because it feels slightly less mushy to press.

Paddles feel almost too easy to press due to how accessible they are. Definitely wouldnt use them for fighting games and worry about accidentally pressing them. For other games I would probably just take the top ones off and limit myself to 2.

Received mine today from Amazon, based prime. Just unboxed it and it is nice so far. Definitely has some weight to it vs standard controller. Going to fire up the xbox and try to get some MCC in and see how it goes.

finalflame

Gold Member
So has anyone done any research on the big box stores to know what the chances are these babies are gonna pop up tomorrow at places like Target, Best Buy, WalMart, etc? I tried calling my local Gamestop and they gave me the usual "we're only getting enough for our pre-orders" shpiel, which i assume is gonna be true of all Gamestops.

I tried calling and going to a couple of Targets/WalMarts but the employees proved to be entirely incompetent so I just gave up. Would be cool if someone who works at one could show up here and let us know if there is any projected stock/any sitting in the back room that stores will put out tomorrow.

Gonna go looking before work anyways. I want this thing.

Lima

Since I'm a German peasant I have to wait until November 4th to get mine. You know what fuck you Microsoft.

RowdyReverb

The trigger stops don't adjust the values coming out of the triggers at all, instead of a 0.0->1.0 range I'm seeing 0.0->0.7 on the left stick and 0.0->0.68 on the right stick. Shouldn't be a problem for most games but might mess up anything that looks for a full press?
Does the customization app let you change the trigger sensitivity curve like it does for the thumbsticks?

Lima

Phil: Fine, you don't get one.

You know some guy in the other thread was joking but I am actually close to buying the Elite console bundle tomorrow as that is already available here in Germany since October 20th actually. How fucked up is that?

Head.spawn

Received mine today from Amazon, based prime. Just unboxed it and it is nice so far. Definitely has some weight to it vs standard controller. Going to fire up the xbox and try to get some MCC in and see how it goes.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order it and where are you located?

I'm still ass out on mine. It says "Shipping Today" and it will be "Delivered Tomorrow by 8pm", and it's said that all day long.

Drago

I have a strange desire to pick one of these up despite having no real need for one. Even so... maybe for Christmas...

Quick question, does this let you change the stick inputs, i.e. making the camera move left when you push the stick right? Would do wonders for those nasty inverted camera controls in Conker (I must be the only person who cares that much about this!). Not a huge deal if it can't be done but that would be great.

The Flash

Banned
You know some guy in the other thread was joking but I am actually close to buying the Elite console bundle tomorrow as that is already available here in Germany since October 20th actually. How fucked up is that?

Pretty messed up. Stay strong. You'll have one soon.

Just a heads up for NYC-GAF

My new Microsoft store on 5th ave has plenty in stock and we are selling them at midnight along with the release of Halo 5.

Justinh

Quick question, does this let you change the stick inputs, i.e. making the camera move left when you push the stick right? Would do wonders for those nasty inverted camera controls in Conker (I must be the only person who cares that much about this!). Not a huge deal if it can't be done but that would be great.

I see the option in the Xbox Accessories app right now the ability to invert the y axis on either the left or right stick, but not the x axis. I do not have an elite controller yet, though.

Top Bottom