• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good spaceship based shoot 'em ups?

Fbh

I'm currently playing through Nier Automata and there are some segments in the game (actually, right at the start) where you are in a sort of fighting combat unit and it plays like a shoot 'em up/bullet hell. It has made me realize (or rather ,remember) that I sort of like this type of game but haven't really played a lot of them.
I'm not really sure if shoot 'em up is the right genre but I'm referring to games like G-Darius or Ikaruga .

So now I'm wondering, what are some of the best games in the genre?
I like a fair and good challenge but I really don't like games that are extremely hard and punishing. I love the challenge of something like Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden Black but I don't really like bullet hell games where one bullet insta kills you and forces you to replay a 20 min long mission

I haven't really played a lot of them. I played some missions of Ikaurga which I liked (never played the whole thing though) and G-Darius in Coop with my neighbour was one of my most played PS1 games back in the day . Aside from that I haven't really touched the genre a lot.

So with that in mind. What are some good games?

I have access to a Ps4, Switch and a decent PC.

Thx

PS. Man I really liked G-Darius
tumblr_nywwdvoxOo1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Controlling enemies, spaceship kamehameha and taking on giant fish-based bosses .

Shifty

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is an awesome shmup available on steam that I highly recommend. It does lean more toward the bullet hell end of things, but it's incredible fun and pretty accessible as the genre goes.

TyGw8LM.gif

There's also DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviors, which is essentially the successor to G-Darius and is very good- it has the original arcade game that runs in 32:9 aspect ratio, as well as a PC-specific mission-based campaign in a more traditional resolution.
It's got various different ships with mechanics from past games, and the beam counter makes a triumphant return with even more ridiculous kamehameha dueling.

Other than that, if emulation is an option for you then R-Type Final on PS2 is pretty great- branching levels based on gameplay choices, over a hundred unlockable ships with their own weapons and mechanics, and a story that's actually fairly clever if you dig deep enough to figure out what's going on.

Fbh

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is an awesome shmup available on steam that I highly recommend. It does lean more toward the bullet hell end of things, but it's incredible fun and pretty accessible as the genre goes.

TyGw8LM.gif

There's also DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviors, which is essentially the successor to G-Darius and is very good- it has the original arcade game that runs in 32:9 aspect ratio, as well as a PC-specific mission-based campaign in a more traditional resolution.
It's got various different ships with mechanics from past games, and the beam counter makes a triumphant return with even more ridiculous kamehameha dueling.

Other than that, if emulation is an option for you then R-Type Final on PS2 is pretty great- branching levels based on gameplay choices, over a hundred unlockable ships with their own weapons and mechanics, and a story that's actually fairly clever if you dig deep enough to figure out what's going on.

Thx, will check those out.

I'm not a fan of emulation though. I'm fine with it as long as I own a legit copy of the game, but I don't know how hard it is to get ones you mentioned

Wonko_C

TyGw8LM.gif

I just remembered I think I'm halfway through CS mode in DariusBurst, and nearly close to the 50 hour mark. They overdid it with this game just a bit, LOL.

Seems OP wants is more into classic-style shooters. I'd suggest Sine Mora EX. Very good production values, awesome graphics and atmospheric soundtrack, it kind of reminds me of Einhänder a bit.

orborborb

on the PS4 get Sine Mora, Dariusburst CS, Battle Garegga, Caladrius Blaze, and Raiden V
Arcade Archives Gradius 1&2, A-Jax, and Terra Cresta
Arcade Archives Star Force & Darius (in the japanese store only)

on the iPad iOS 10 or below get Bug Princess 2

on the PS3 get Under Defeat HD and Raiden IV and the Capcom Classics Arcade

on the PS2 get R-Type Final, Raiden III, Gradius IV&V

on the 360 get Raiden Fighters, Radiant Silvergun, and Raystorm HD

on the NES get Terra Cresta, Star Force, Life Force, Defender II, and Millipede

on the Genesis get Sagaia, Slap Fight, Fire Shark, Twin Cobra, and Thunder Force II

on the SNES get UN Squadron, R-Type III, Axelay, and Space Megaforce

on the PS1 get Raiden DX, R-Types, and R-Type Delta

on the Saturn get Galactic Attack, Darius Gaiden, and Metal Black

on the Dreamcast get Zero Gunner 2 and Border Down

shmups on switch have too much input lag to be fun and on windows or android getting the lag down is a constant battle with the os and your graphics card drivers

Fadobo

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is definitely up there. I also like Blue Wish Ressurection Plus (PC) quite a bit, which is completely free to download.

I just finished Sky Force on the Xbox One and it is pretty good, with leaderboards and weekend events still. Could be played for quite a while. And 1 achievement is a total grind too, if you're looking for a game that can last. They also just released a sequel, but I haven't tried it yet.

Well, we have the GOAT that is Einhander (there will NEVER be a Einhander 2, earthlings just don´t deserve it).

Then we have R-Type Delta, Truxton etc.

PooBone

Came to say "Steredenn" a game on Xbox live that I just discovered through the game pass trial I got with my new Xbox One X.

It's a roguelike shooter where the levels and bosses are different every time. The main reason I can't put it down is the KICK ASS SOUNDTRACK! This thing fucking ROCKS!!!!

JP

There are quite a few on the PS4, particularly if you have a Japanese account.

I suppose these are the bigger titles.
These are some of the smaller titles that may be of interest to you...
Also, if you search for ACA NEOGEO it will bring up a library of NeoGeo games of different genres which will also include that you may enjoy such as Aero Fighters 2, Pulstar, Alpha Mission II, etc. If you search for Arcade Archives you'll get the same but for older arcade games like TwinBee, Salamander, Gradius, etc.

I am aware that they don't all include spaceships as such but they are variations on that type of game and I wasn't sure if that would be OK, so included them.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Giga Wing 2 on Dreamcast - amazing soundtrack

Ikaruga on Dreamcast, Game Cube or PC - beautiful and hard as fuck

Radiant Silvergun on Saturn - very complex, maybe is the best single player sh'mup ever

Blazing Star on Neo Geo - it's so smooth and colorful

pswii60

Mars Matrix on Dreamcast.

Xenon 2 Megablast on Amiga.

Or get the Shoot Em Up Construction Kit (SEUCK) for C64 and make your own!

chemicals

Einhander is a great one for PS1, also Raiden Project. One of my favorite 16 bit space shooters is Air Buster (Genesis). I was a little arcade fiend and my local arcade had the arcade game.. The Genesis version is just about arcade perfect. Awesome shmup. It is also available on Turbografx 16 under the name "Aero Blasters".

Ooh ooh can't forget about Prehistoric Isle 2 on the Neo Geo. The explosions are just so satisfying.

Top Bottom